• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Alx

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/823937530676453376

"We replaced Snap to improve multitasking, reduce memory use, improve overall speed, and free up resources going forward for bigger things."

So I guess it lowers the chance of PiP too, since it would eat up a similar amount of resources as snap. :/

I'm sure MS had solid data on how few people actually used Snap, but it's still a bummer for those folks.

Yeah I really don't think telemetry should be the defining point of their user experience. If they're cutting everything that is only used by a minority, they're just reducing the experience to the common denominator. But removing everything that stands out leaves you only with the bland mean value.
Whenever they're cutting a feature, they're losing the good will of some of their customers. That's eroding their user base little by little, instead of expanding it.

JaggedSac

So I guess it lowers the chance of PiP too, since it would eat up a similar amount of resources as snap. :/

Yeah I really don't think telemetry should be the defining point of their user experience. If they're cutting everything that is only used by a minority, they're just reducing the experience to the common denominator. But removing everything that stands out leaves you only with the bland mean value.
Whenever they're cutting a feature, they're losing the good will of some of their customers. That's eroding their user base little by little, instead of expanding it.

While I agree with your sentiment, in this case, performance improvements are a big deal.

Alx

While I agree with your sentiment, in this case, performance improvements are a big deal.

"Freeing resources" is just the easy way to get an instant performance boost. And a temporary one, since as soon as you free some, developers will start counting on those, and soon enough the UI will be slow again.
The amount of resources allocated to the OS is huge already. Computers have been running entire environments on a tenth of those for decades. How many Gs of RAM do they need to display a text menu fast enough ?

Zedox

"Freeing resources" is just the easy way to get an instant performance boost. And a temporary one, since as soon as you free some, developers will start counting on those, and soon enough the UI will be slow again.
The amount of resources allocated to the OS is huge already. Computers have been running entire environments on a tenth of those for decades. How many Gs of RAM do they need to display a text menu fast enough ?

It all depends on what they do with it. Snapping TV vs. PIP TV overlay is a possibility. It all depends on what they do. I don't expect us to get that information until Redstone 3 in the fall with the release of Scorpio.

Theorry

PiP can get fucked. I don't want the TV screen to cover up a mini map, health bar, ammo counter, radar or whatever.

I want snapped TV back :*(

Well big change you can select where PiP is gonna be. Like you can now with achievement tracking.

untitleduvsre.png

Well big change you can select where PiP is gonna be. Like you can now with achievement tracking.

untitleduvsre.png

No matter where I place it, it will cover up either UI elements or parts of the screen that I need to see to play the game. Making the PiP more transparent like you can with the achievement tracking is useless because then you have a TV window where you can't see anything.

I like a lot of things in the new update but removing the ability to snap tv is something cannot agree with.

Bessy67

Can't say I'm a fan of how the new home screen works. I liked going to the home screen and still having the TV video and audio. Everything else is pretty good though.

TheKeyPit

Banned
MailOnX, Phil Spencer's currently using/playing this. Outlook on Xbox One?

Well, I looked it up while typing this. It's an e-mail app for Xbox One.

Alx

Discoverability of Xbox apps doesn't seem great, such apps go completely unnoticed and it's not even easy to list all existing xbox apps on the Marketplace.

malfcn

Got the one button guide update. Feels snappy, but weird.

Will have to leave feedback about the first layer. You used to be able to hit the triggers without going all the way up or down. Pressing LT and going to achievements would be preferable over it going to profile.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm getting 45% packet loss right now. It started with 30% two hours ago and I'm trying to fix this shit, but nothing works. My router looks to run just fine, because IPTV runs without any problems.

I can't log in on my Xbox One because of that. This started out of nowhere when I was playing Rainbow Six Siege.

I got a message last night on xbl saying that I was invited to preview the new update, but when I went to update my console it says that it is up to date but the last update was december 9th? I checked the preview app and I am enrolled so I dont get it.

Lima

I got a message last night on xbl saying that I was invited to preview the new update, but when I went to update my console it says that it is up to date but the last update was december 9th? I checked the preview app and I am enrolled so I dont get it.

It also said that you have time to opt out by 2/2 and today is only the first. Wait a bit. You will most likely get it before or on Friday.

TheKeyPit

Banned
You're probably getting the update during the next wave.

Which group do I want to enroll in if I want updates the fastest, preview - latest Xbox one experience. Or Xbox one update preview? I am in the later, should I switch?

Bsigg12

Man they could not make this more confusing. Why even have 2 different update groups. Grrrr

That way people can decide if they want to test new things as they come out or wait to get the update after they have fixed some of the bugs. It's similar to the Windows Insider Program now.

arhra

Which group do I want to enroll in if I want updates the fastest, preview - latest Xbox one experience. Or Xbox one update preview? I am in the later, should I switch?

The messages that went out yesterday were for the Beta Ring, so your options in the Insider Hub should be "Preview - Latest Xbox One Experience", and "Xbox One Update Preview Beta", and "Unenroll".

The first is the legacy preview program enrollment, while the second is for the Beta Ring in the new ring setup that they're rolling out.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Yeah I downloaded update in like a minute but that install 😁 I don't care to be honest my Xbox normally updates when I'm asleep I just happened to be awake at the moment

Klocker

Man takin the live tile and snap TV away is really pissing me off.. I hope they come up with the Pip deal because I need that in my TV gaming life

Sky87

Haven't used my Xbox in a week, and now when turning it on the screen goes blank a few seconds after reaching the dashboard (there's probably an update available). Anyone know a way around this?

EDIT: Unplugged the Ethernet cable and then restarted, and now update goes through. Weird.

gossi

Haven't used my Xbox in a week, and now when turning it on the screen goes blank a few seconds after reaching the dashboard (there's probably an update available). Anyone know a way around this?

EDIT: Unplugged the Ethernet cable and then restarted, and now update goes through. Weird.

Yep, I get this exactly same problem (screen fades to black a few seconds after starting dashboard, but nothing then appears) - but I'm not using Ethernet. I'm using Wifi. Which I can't disconnect.

gamz

Yep, I get this exactly same problem (screen fades to black a few seconds after starting dashboard, but nothing then appears) - but I'm not using Ethernet. I'm using Wifi. Which I can't disconnect.
Can't you just turn on your wifi?

Hey guys, sometime after the last preview update my TV will sometimes just lose the signal from my Xbox One S. It seems like it mostly happens after I've been using the Hulu app, but I'm not sure if it's only Hulu.

After watching Hulu my TV will start temporarily dropping signal when I return to the Home screen. After that it will start doing it all of the time when I return home or exit other apps and games. If I return to the Home screen, and start scrolling through other tabs (e.g. community or store screens) it will get the signal to come back usually.

I'm on a LG 55" B6. I do almost everything through my Xbox (tv, media, games etc), and my PS4 is in another state, so I can't test that. Just wanted to make sure other people were seeing this and it wasn't my set. It seems to get better after I do a hard reset of the console, but that could also be a fluke I guess. Shrug.

Ah, sounds kind of similar, but it's happening to me all of the time. Not just at startup.

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/823937530676453376

"We replaced Snap to improve multitasking, reduce memory use, improve overall speed, and free up resources going forward for bigger things."

-------
I'm sure MS had solid data on how few people actually used Snap, but it's still a bummer for those folks. (I never used it though, so I'll gladly take a snappier UI in exchange.)

Note that it looks like some features now use an overlay instead of snap:

overlaying apps was something I wanted years ago, glad to see it's finally a thing.

Orca

Picked up a new TV over the weekend and the girlfriend surprised me with an Xbox One S for my birthday at the same time. Enrolled it in the Insider program and took the old one out of it...any idea how long until it gets updated? I miss the new Guide...

LUXURY

They need to STOP naming all the damn tiles. Especially when it says it inside the title. It's stupid for it to say the name of the game in the tile, then say it again in text on the bottom. It takes away from the look of you ask me.

Orca

Got tonight's alpha ring update and checked for Dolby Atmos support...still not enabled, but the app page was updated so hopefully soon :)

m23

Having some issues with party for some reason. It keeps disconnecting, though I don't get a notification of being disconnected.

Klocker

Man missing snap TV .. would love to be doing laps in one of my racing games while watching the draft.... sucks.

Also is there a way to copy music to the Xbox or play from a USB drive?

Some of my games stutter during music streaming

sangreal

I don't miss snap, but removing the remote control from the windows app was complete bs. Doesn't even make sense, since it is in the mobile apps still

Top Bottom