• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Alx

So MS adds a good thing and messes up a good thing (typical)

CNET

Now I have to say so many more words...smh.

"Hey Cortana, Xbox on" is really silly, at least change the keyword so that it feels more natural. "Hey Cortana, wake up !" would be perfect. It's not even about the length of the sentence, but how natural it feels when you use it (hence NUI).
Also I hope they're not using the "Hey Cortana" in all languages. It sounds really rude in French, and even if it's just a machine I wouldn't take the habit of using that.

This is small it seems like their phasing out Upload Studio (which in it's current state is terrible) and are encouraging users to use their own video editing software to upload via the Xbox app.

Chris1

"Hey Cortana, Xbox on" is really silly, at least change the keyword so that it feels more natural. "Hey Cortana, wake up !" would be perfect. It's not even about the length of the sentence, but how natural it feels when you use it (hence NUI).
Also I hope they're not using the "Hey Cortana" in all languages. It sounds really rude in French, and even if it's just a machine I wouldn't take the habit of using that.

They are and it's stupid

Hey Cortana just sounds so American. I don't think I've ever said "hey" in my entire life. "Xbox" was better IMO

mcrommert

Banned
Hmm no, as I have my xbox always completely off. What I want is, updates for games that i am not currently playing to happen automatically when the xbox is on.

Its irritating when I start a game that i haven't played for a while and then pop up, update....

When you don't use a device correctly you shouldn't expect it to do everything correctly

CNET

The one thing that I was looking forward to. *sigh*
On the latter, their message was ambiguous at build, sometimes they sounded like all games would go through id@xbox other times it sounded like uwp games without any xbox live features could be released on xbone, and id@xbox was only for more resources or xbox live features.

(Unless later they cleared it somehow but then I missed it)

etta

my hard graphic balls
at least change the keyword so that it feels more natural. "Hey Cortana, wake up !" would be perfect.
"Wake up Chief, I need you!"

timthumb.php

:'/

Sydle

I did not read this... Did I miss something?

I think he's misinterpreting that Xbox Live will now show Win32 games in the Xbox activity feed and you can message/chat regardless of the game client being used (Steam games, League of Legends, etc.).

Zedox

On the latter, their message was ambiguous at build, sometimes they sounded like all games would go through id@xbox other times it sounded like uwp games without any xbox live features could be released on xbone, and id@xbox was only for more resources or xbox live features.

(Unless later they cleared it somehow but then I missed it)

True, but even the editor may have misinterpreted hid debriefing on the story. I defiantly thought everything would be there but if u wanted xbl, u needed id@xbox. I gotta get some clarification.

JaggedSac

They are and it's stupid

Hey Cortana just sounds so American. I don't think I've ever said "hey" in my entire life. "Xbox" was better IMO

Well, Ybarra is right in that Cortana is on more than just Xbox so if they are going to brand it Cortana, they need to have the same usage across all devices.

Tealmann

share your own PC gaming clips and screenshots with the community
Finally. I really love the "Record last 30 seconds" thing and I use it all the time. I have a load of clips that I've wanted to post on Xbox but never could.

EYEL1NER

So far the only thing I see that I care about is My Games and Apps having a non-shit layout now. The Win10/PC Games stuff sounds horrible to me and I don't like that the current Kinect commands are all changing.

Ade

Changing 'Xbox On' is stupid.

I'm also not sure how I feel about 'Hey Cortana' it's both a little too American for my Britishness and an extra few syllables.

'Xbox Volume Up' is far easier to say than 'Hey Cortana Volume Up'

LowerLevel

CNET

The one thing that I was looking forward to. *sigh*

Hmm since I just redid my "Hey Cortana" wake up for my phone, I wonder if it will all connect eventually and I can completely hands free ask Cortana to turn on my Xbox and download a game from across town...

A bit of a stretch, I know, but so far the "Hey Cortana" isn't really bad. Not much different than Siri or the Google one except it is connected to Win10, which is what my PC and (soon) Xb1 are running... Seriously wondering what the future could bring.

RdN

Looks like a good build.

Hopefully I'll be in one of the first waves to hit... However my status still lists as EnrollPending.

Also, I hope that after this release they can go back to doing monthly releases. I think the constant improvements and refinements are one of the things that helped shape the XBO image.

gamz

I'm also not sure how I feel about 'Hey Cortana' it's both a little too American for my Britishness and an extra few syllables.

Honestly, it's not that different.

Looks like a good build.

Hopefully I'll be in one of the first waves to hit... However my status still lists as EnrollPending.

Also, I hope that after this release they can go back to doing monthly releases. I think the constant improvements and refinements are one of the things that helped shape the XBO image.
It gonna say EnrollPending until you get the update.

If saying hey Cortana is actually more accurate than I could give two craps how weird it sounds. If it works first time then I'll be happy

Zedox

If saying hey Cortana is actually more accurate than I could give two craps how weird it sounds. If it works first time then I'll be happy

Having used Cortana semi-daily, she is definitely more accurate. It's just more of a mouthful in my opinion. Now I do wish I can send messages with Cortana...that would be much easier than typing, MY GOD IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER.

EvB

Having used Cortana semi-daily, she is definitely more accurate. It's just more of a mouthful in my opinion. Now I do wish I can send messages with Cortana...that would be much easier than typing, MY GOD IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER.

You can already send messages by voice I think.
I didn't realise until really recently that if someone sends you a voice message, the Xbox transcribes it into text

arhra

Remember that you'll be able to give Cortana more complex commands (and in natural language rather than the very basic, rigid grammar it currently uses).

"Hey Cortana, turn the volume up by 10" is much nicer than having to repeat "Xbox Volume Up" multiple times to get the same result.

Zedox

You can already send messages by voice I think.
I didn't realise until really recently that if someone sends you a voice message, the Xbox transcribes it into text

Yea, I know that but say I pause my game or in the middle of my game and say: "Hey Cortana, send EvB a message saying "good game""...that's the type of ish I want.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
yeah I hear the word "cortana" a ton throughout my day

If you play Halo, you might run into talking about Cortana, so "Hey Cortana" stops any accidental usage of it. They could have done "Hey Xbox" too if Cortana wasn't a thing.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think he means things like someone saying "Do you remember how Cortana did XXX or YYY at the end of Halo 4" while people are playing Halo 5 arena or something similar.

Yeah, it prevents you from accidentally activating Cortana when you talk about the story with your friends.

Top Bottom