• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Ade

aren't you tier 2 anyway?

I didn't check, as th UK tends to get lumped in with the US as opposed to Europe. Are we not getting Cortana then?

Edit: op says we are

Remember that you'll be able to give Cortana more complex commands (and in natural language rather than the very basic, rigid grammar it currently uses).

"Hey Cortana, turn the volume up by 10" is much nicer than having to repeat "Xbox Volume Up" multiple times to get the same result.

If it takes commands like that, I'll be happy

Are they actually changing the commands to hey cortana and removing the xbox preface or is that something people are assuming? Don't see a reason they can't run both.

Chris1

Well, Ybarra is right in that Cortana is on more than just Xbox so if they are going to brand it Cortana, they need to have the same usage across all devices.

What if you have a Win10 phone, PC and Xbox? How will it know which one you're speaking to? :p

Idk, I get why they're doing it but I think they should keep both "xbox" and "hey cortana" or even just "Cortana". I've never said "hey" my entire life and never heard anyone else say it either, and even when I say it now just to see how it sounds I sound like a right twat. I bet because of that they see really low engagement with Cortana in UK at least. It's just a very US-centric phrase, it'd be like Americans having to say "Alright Cortana, go to forza" or whatever, would sound silly I bet :p

Edit: Yeah Cortana learns your voice and stuff but you don't have to say "Hey Cortana" for that to work. If anything, wouldn't Cortana learning custom commands etc make even more sense to let you customize the prefix to whatever you want it to be, with the default being "Hey Cortana"? Best of both worlds and I see no reason why it can't work?

Bizzquik

This update looks awesome!

If this is 1 of 2, then I guess that over the air DVR function will be in update 2.

Yeah, I think Update #2 is the full Anniversary Update we've been hearing about; the big one:
[1] Over the Air DVR
[2] streaming music from networked PC source
[3] whatever form PC Windows 10 and Xbox One commingling is gonna look like to start
[4] Keyboard & Mouse....? (keyboard is actually already supported)

Because "cortana" is used alot in conversations i think.

yeah I hear the word "cortana" a ton throughout my day

lol

Are they actually changing the commands to hey cortana and removing the xbox preface or is that something people are assuming? Don't see a reason they can't run both.

When they first announced I remember they saying that there would be both, not it seems it's replacing (at least when cortana is active).

etta

my hard graphic balls
Very odd decision. Xbox is a much shorter keyword, works fine and people already use it. Dunno why they'd remove it totally.
Consistency across the Windows platform. It's "Hey Cortana" for any other Windows 10 device, it should be the same for Xbox.

Jumeira

Banned
Meaty update, but don't understand comments about Kinect dying?The opposite infact. It's still much more convenient then mic/headset. I don't want to stick my headset on to turn off xbox while I'm walking out the door lol.

Expecting Phil to drop a few bombs at e3 too. Loving these updates!

What if you have a Win10 phone, PC and Xbox? How will it know which one you're speaking to? :p

Idk, I get why they're doing it but I think they should keep both "xbox" and "hey cortana" or even just "Cortana". I've never said "hey" my entire life and never heard anyone else say it either, and even when I say it now just to see how it sounds I sound like a right twat. I bet because of that they see really low engagement with Cortana in UK at least. It's just a very US-centric phrase, it'd be like Americans having to say "Alright Cortana, go to forza" or whatever, would sound silly I bet :p

Edit: Yeah Cortana learns your voice and stuff but you don't have to say "Hey Cortana" for that to work. If anything, wouldn't Cortana learning custom commands etc make even more sense to let you customize the prefix to whatever you want it to be, with the default being "Hey Cortana"? Best of both worlds and I see no reason why it can't work?

We're good with Alright here in the US. They should let you record your own command phrase. That way you could be like:

- Hey, Cortana
- Yo Felicia
- Wiiiiiiiilson
- Mr. Belvedere
- Mom (for the cellar dwellers)
- Hey (that hot cheerleader you had your eye on)
- By the Power of Greyskull

etta

my hard graphic balls
Still another hour and a half before this starts rolling out....they should just push it.
Apparently it's gonna be 2.5 hours late, Tom Warren tweeted we should expect it at 11:30 EST instead of the usual 9:00.

Dabanton

didn't Sony lock down Spotify exclusivity?

This article was from march 2015

"PlayStation have gaming exclusivity," Murray Pannell, UK marketing director for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, confirmed to Eurogamer at a preview of the app last week. And how long does the exclusivity period last? "That's to be decided exactly," he confessed, "but certainly for the foreseeable."

Not sure if that's changed since then. Hopefully yes. Having 'exclusive' apps is just silly. from any POV.

Kssio_Aug

That looks pretty ok. Doesn't look like a good interface for a tv, so if they were allowed to plop it on the Bone, hopefully they would adjust things accordingly.

I think it looks better than Spotify app used to look on PS4 (not sure how it's looking today). But I don't care too much for the app interface tbh... I just want to listen my spotify playlists on background.

Yoday

Very odd decision. Xbox is a much shorter keyword, works fine and people already use it. Dunno why they'd remove it totally.
From my own experience the keyword "Xbox" gets accidentally activated at least a few times per day. Anything even remotely close to the sound of Xbox will make it start listening for a command. Having a phrase such as "Hey Cortana" is more specific and shouldn't accidentally activate as often. I'm looking g forward to the change quite a bit.

Ason

If it takes commands like that, I'll be happy

It did back when Cortana was accidently left in and avalible in one preview build, so I have high hopes it will be working this time.

I played around with it quite a bit, and if Im not misstaken you could even tell Cortana to change volume directly to a specific number, instead of changing by steps.

JaggedSac

It did back when Cortana was accidently left in and avalible in one preview build, so I have high hopes it will be working this time.

I played around with it quite a bit, and if Im not misstaken you could even tell Cortana to change volume directly to a specific number, instead of changing by steps.

Do tvs have a way of setting it to a specific volume value via a remote. Is that common? That would have to be possible for it to do it via IR.

"Xbox, volume up!"... signed you out, choose your profile. I wonder what will happen to this haha.

Edit: Just got an invite right now. I'm in the beta :D

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

I think the reason they don't want to run the "Xbox" command anymore is because it causes the Xbox to accidentally listen everytime "Xbox" is mentioned in conversation. It's why instead of "Cortana, do such and such" it's "Hey Cortana, do such and such." They could add a "Hey Xbox" command, I supposed, but I don't see the "Xbox" command existing after this update.

Also, just got my invite and enrolled!

Bsigg12

Apparently it's gonna be 2.5 hours late, Tom Warren tweeted we should expect it at 11:30 EST instead of the usual 9:00.

Wondering if Warren has the wrong time, Ybarra hasn't said otherwise but I guess we'll see here shortly

etta

my hard graphic balls
Remember, there are waves, guys. So those who just got invited are probably in the second or third wave. Tonight I am guessing is for those initial invites.

Zedox

Remember, there are waves, guys. So those who just got invited are probably in the second or third wave. Tonight I am guessing is for those initial invites.

Yea, that's what I'm guessing too. Gotta do them quests to stay up in the world. lol. :)

Top Bottom