• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One UI vid w/Snap

Keyouta

Looks fluid to me, people here really get worked up over rumors and such. Come launch we'll know how well both UIs perform so we can bicker over facts. Hopefully XBL isn't as broken as what's been said.

Bgamer90

Banned
Plan to use this feature more when watching TV and sports. Also can see having a walkthrough snapped to the side for achievement hunting. Also, having my twitter feed snapped in will be nice at times.

Same here.

I think I'll like snapping the WatchESPN app as I play through some of my sports games (franchise modes).

RdN

The Ui is the thing that has me most excited about the Xbox One. Hopefully I'll work well on day one.

It seems like a snapped browser window is only gonna be useful for something like a chat stream or basic single column text - or maybe a mobile formatted site. trying to navigate or read anything from a wider webpage in that narrow column is terrible.

This can have potential. They can essentially use that space towards what they were trying to accomplish with smartglass. It would be handy for game guides as well.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This honestly goes against I expected given the comments by famousmortimer. I expected the game would be freezing up or snap wouldn't even work. If it handles this good even before the Day One patch. People getting the Xbox One at launch have nothing to worry about.

Let's wait until we get some more sufficient evidence from MS other than a random Youtube video before claiming we have nothing to worry about.

Looks good but it'll only be worth using if you can control what you are snapping with voice rather than having to flick between screens with the controller

That's actually really fucking cool. Best thing about the Xbox One's UI, easily.

I could easily see opening up an achievement guide video or something in the side tab while playing a game and trying to replicate it. Very slick.

stktt

Banned
IE probably wasn't the best example. Keeping something like Twitter or that activity feed open seems more useful.

It seems to be operating just fine on older software. I can't imagine it not running as is or better at launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes, and when he goes to the dashboard, sometimes the big box is Killer Instinct, sometimes it's IE, there's a little button on the right that seems to do something but it's not clear what it is, navigating around full-sized webpages when you can only see a thin sliver of them looks grim, to put it lightly. I think there's a lot to be confused by.

it did look confusing.

I still don't really see the point. Smartphones and tablets are surely ubiquitous enough - at least in households spending $500 on a console - that this just isn't really needed?

I think it'll take some time to find nice uses for this - perhaps games publishers will make mini-websites that are designed to look good snapped alongside their game?

malfcn

Youtube can barely play this for me. I am more worried about their ability to get things to work than the dashboard.

Ardenyal

Part of me wishes they'd keep the aspect ratio the same. Sure it's less screen space, but man it doesn't look so hot when the game is squished...

Yeah, I was expecting the game to be in a smaller window with preserved aspect ratio. Looks so goofy when it gets squished like that.

PBY

Banned
Live connections were 'apocalyptic'. Snap kept crashing during some game demos. I'd wager that Microsoft may have employed these people known as 'decent programmers' to try to fix the problems. This video could be the first piece of evidence of their efforts.

True- but go back to those rumor threads/see Cboats post. Rereading that frenzy after watching the vid just seems so silly.

I would really still like to hear from the insiders- they made it seem like the problems weren't readily fixable.

Warrior phrasing aside, the rumors were pretty apocalyptic. What happened? Serious question. Would be interesting to hear from the insiders.

Wheres cboat at?
Are you trying to suggest that because it didn't crash in this 2 minute video that the people like Proelite saying that it suffers from regular daily crashes are wrong?

You do know that generally bugs don't manifest themselves every 5 seconds and appear under different scenarios, right?

I'm not saying the rumours are right or wrong, but merely that if you think you can infer anything from this video about the validity of the rumours, then well. You can't.

Ebomb

Banned
Same here.

I think I'll like snapping the WatchESPN app as I play through some of my sports games (franchise modes).

Yeah, game on background while playing sounds nice. I also participate in online sports communities where having a discussion snapped next to the game sounds nice. If I can use voice to text to type comments, that would be even better :)

Cudder

I would honestly never ever use the snap mode for browsing/internet. I'd rather just take my phone out of my pocket, and I'd probably get what I'm looking for a lot faster that way too.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It's looking great. Maybe last week was only FUD as have been plenty of the rumors regarding X1.

Also, I thought that the games would stop playing and enter a custom pause screen when they were in 1/4 screen mode. It is pointless to have them playing like that.

Video looks like it's been edited a bit... hmmm. Seems to more or less function as advertised though, surprisingly, even if it looks awkward as shit to use :/

Tomcat

I honestly can't think of a use for this, that a phone or tablet next to you(which I normally have anyways) couldn't do. Skype? On the tablet. IE? On my phone with at least a software keyboard too. Netflix? On my tablet.
What app would you open alongside a game?

a site with a walkthrough or faq
a video player
tv
apps like the machinima
live scores apps

the possibilities are endless just have a little imagination
yes you can do all that on a tablet or smartphone. But I don't want to look down to the and then up at my tv. Its better this way all in one screen

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is why we have other devices like smartphones and tablets. Honestly this seems janky sort of. Watching football in the corner while playing a game might be cool though.

Also, they squish the game. yikes

EvB

Same here.

Just generally being able to snap a little netflix window while I do side missions in Skyrim would be good. I use my laptop currently, but it's not great having to constantly focus between 2 points

Looks like we'll need some "Snap-optimized" browser pages :p
Yeah, that is something I wish browsers allowed for in Windows 8.

Often I'll have my main app as Netflix or something and then have a browser open snapped in the narrow window.

I'd love it if they were able to send across a mobile user agent so you see mobile orientated pages instead, they'd be easier to navigate and will suit the narrow view.

I trust MS. They're a more software oriented company. The ps4 will be leagues behind the xbox one in terms of media functionality and apps. But since I have my tablet, phone and pc, these apps are pretty much useless to me as a value added proposition.

danwarb

Is this worth reserving 10% of the GPU? Kinda looks like the stuff a 2nd screen is for?
Both consoles reserve GPU. It was 10% on Xbox 360 too. Apparently there are ways of getting at that 10% on the X1, or there will be according to MS engineer/PR.

I think the point is big screen and sound system for all of this content. The Xbox provides the imediacy to make it worth bothering. "Xbox on", HDMI-in. Its there for you to call up whatever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This can have potential. They can essentially use that space towards what they were trying to accomplish with smartglass. It would be handy for game guides as well.

the only negative I can think of is that reading a narrow column of text at normal TV viewing distances might not be ideal. TBH web browsing on a big HDTV isn't great generally unless you zoom the text quite a bit, and then the narrow view doesn't help with that.

My biggest problem is that if you're snapping something, you're compromising the size (and shape it seems) of the game you're playing. If you do it occasionally that's ok (but then questions the value of the feature). If you do it all the time then you're always playing your games smaller or squashier than they could be.

Ebomb

Banned
it did look confusing.

I still don't really see the point. Smartphones and tablets are surely ubiquitous enough - at least in households spending $500 on a console - that this just isn't really needed?

I think it'll take some time to find nice uses for this - perhaps games publishers will make mini-websites that are designed to look good snapped alongside their game?

Well, I have to take my eyes away from the screen for second screen stuff or tablet, here I can keep playing while paying attention to something else too. That experience could be possible if I mounted a tablet next to my TV but this sounds way more convenient to me.

It's looking great. Maybe last week was only FUD as have been plenty of the rumors regarding X1.

Also, I thought that the games would stop playing and enter a custom pause screen when they were in 1/4 screen mode. It is pointless to have them playing like that.

I think it depends on game type.

If you're working on combos in a fighting game, you wouldn't want it to pause, really.

Damaniel

Banned
a site with a walkthrough or faq
a video player
tv
apps like the machinima
live scores apps

the possibilities are endless just have a little imagination
yes you can do all that on a tablet or smartphone. But I don't want to look down to the and then up at my tv. Its better this way all in one screen

Definitely all of these. The snap feature is the one Xbox One feature that I'd really like to see make its way to PS4 for all of these reasons.

GavinGT

Banned
There's basically no chance of the browser supporting Flash, right?

At least the browser on Xbox 360 allowed you to change the user agent to Mobile, so I bet that will at least be an option here.

Top Bottom