• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One UI vid w/Snap

YoungFa

Would it be possible to use Kinect as an input device for keyboard typing? Or is it to inaccurate to register finger movements?

a site with a walkthrough or faq
a video player
tv
apps like the machinima
live scores apps

the possibilities are endless just have a little imagination
yes you can do all that on a tablet or smartphone. But I don't want to look down to the and then up at my tv. Its better this way all in one screen

But then you're in a windowed version of your game, aren't you? That seems weird to not play at full screen. I doubt it'd be worth trying transparency on an overlayed window.
Other than TV, all of those things would be better on a phone/tablet next to you so you could play on full screen. And I don't even have TV.
Yet, I still have an XB1 pre-ordered.

Plus I'm the type who forces my wife to stop watching Netflix in the other room when I'm going to play online, I want all that bandwidth to myself! :)
I'm not going to leave an active Skype connection open sucking gaming bandwidth.

IRQ

Banned
a site with a walkthrough or faq
a video player
tv
apps like the machinima
live scores apps

the possibilities are endless just have a little imagination
yes you can do all that on a tablet or smartphone. But I don't want to look down to the and then up at my tv. Its better this way all in one screen

This.
I see more people will be using that feature alot.

I don't understand the complaints around here.

What if viber comes to X1 :D

Why does the video have an equal amount of likes to dislikes since it was posted on GAF? I swear it's gone up by 40+ dislikes since it was posted here...

Is there something objectionably wrong with he video? Why the dislikes? As a video maker, it's frustrating when people dislike your content with no explanation why. It's a consent worry of "What did I do wrong? Is my quality not good enough? Is my voice bad? Was I unfunny? Did I offend someone?". It's really rude to dislike a video for no reason. :/

Cidd

I laugh at all the people making comments like "bu bu but SonyGAF said it was buggy!"

With the recent confirmation of BF4 and COD resolutions which were also rumors, I wouldn't be so cocky..

Wynnebeck

Banned
So why should we worry in the first place?

Because MS is not showing a 3-4 minute little tutorial video for a feature that is defining their console about 23 days away from launch because of licensing issues? Licensing issues? That made me do a double take.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
power subtracted to games

Tookay

Maybe everyone should have waited for any evidence at all before claiming we needed to worry.

We did wait for evidence. Then that evidence came in the form of insiders and developers for the system saying there were reasons for concern.

Lynn616

Because MS is not showing a 3-4 minute little tutorial video for a feature that is defining their console about 23 days away from launch because of licensing issues? Licensing issues? That made me do a double take.

Has Sony shown a 3-4 minute tutorial of their UI? Not saying they didnt but I have not seen it.

Even if they did I'm sure people would say "lol that looks edited" or "i doubt it actually runs that well"

We get a random ass video of some random people using the feature and people are still questioning it's legitimacy. r u srs?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This will be awesome if people build some web pages optimized for it, or apps for the XBO that fit that size perfect. Glad it's quick though.

stormplyr

Well I for one am blown away.

Anyway, seems cool but not too practical for me. I'd rather use my ipad than lose 1/4 of my screen.

Mindlog

Seeing the onscreen keyboard in that video reminds me.
pDcDPqA.jpg

Bring them back.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why does the video have an equal amount of likes to dislikes since it was posted on GAF? I swear it's gone up by 40+ dislikes since it was posted here...

Is there something objectionably wrong with he video? Why the dislikes? As a video maker, it's frustrating when people dislike your content with no explanation why. It's a consent worry of "What did I do wrong? Is my quality not good enough? Is my voice bad? Was I unfunny? Did I offend someone?". It's really rude to dislike a video for no reason. :/

Console wars man.

Wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of those dislikes didn't even watch more than 10 seconds of the video.

KillGore

A lot of people browse GAF, all around the web. Don't blame GAF, blame the whole internet. More traffic, more likes (or in this case, dislikes).

Why does it have a lot of dislikes? MS has had too much bad press these past few months. I'm sure a lot of people are still sour over it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Has Sony shown a 3-4 minute tutorial of their UI? Not saying they didnt but I have not seen it.

There were whispers of IGN doing a video, but I'm not to sure of what became of it. We've also seen Shu demo the UI live at Gamescom on stage while MS has never shown a live demo anywhere. Judging from the video, it looked like it still has some work to go.

mocoworm

Didn't CBOAT confirm that the OS was fucked? This is an old build and it looks great and fluid, from a technical point of view.

hawk2025

Instead of bickering over previous rumors, can someone please answer me if we know yet whether or not we can keep the original aspect ratio when snapping instead of squishing the screen? :p

Also, can I move the snap window and overlay it on the screen anywhere I'd like?

Basically I don't want to squish the picture, but it would be great to be able to put a walkthrough video wherever a game has less use of the screen. So for example, you can take over part of the HUD on the lower right corner instead of squishing the whole picture.

Thanks!

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
PS4+tablet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> xbox one experience

Looks fine to me not sure why they wouldn't show it, don't think I'd ever use it considering I have my phone and tablet near me for that sort of thing. Other than that it's nice.

Console wars man.

Wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of those dislikes didn't even watch more than 10 seconds of the video.

I feel bad for those guys. :/ Up and coming YouTuber's, forming a group, trying to make a name for themselves and get an audience. Validate themselves as hopefully the next gaming news site or channel, and the first video they upload that's getting attention is getting decimated in dislikes by the "console war".

YoungFa

You'll be able to use voice commands to do searches etc. I highly doubt it is accurate enough for typing.

Too bad. But it would be cool if you could just air type. Maybe one day we will have the tech. Would make it much more convient to surf the web on tv.

There's basically no chance of the browser supporting Flash, right?

At least the browser on Xbox 360 allowed you to change the user agent to Mobile, so I bet that will at least be an option here.

It was playing videos right from YouTube, which require flash though so I wouldn't say there's no chance.

MS seem to be quite happy to include flash in places where others aren't.

Also people should realise that this is one app (internet).

There will be a whole app ecosystem and we've already seen apps from people like Machinima that uses snap to provide a different experience in snap.

PBY

Banned
There were whispers of IGN doing a video, but I'm not to sure of what became of it. We've also seen Shu demo the UI live at Gamescom on stage while MS has never shown a live demo anywhere. Judging from the video, it looked like it still has some work to go.

Well... I was pushing MS hard for fucking up and not giving us a demo. But I have to say, something like this instills way more confidence in me than a stage demo.

Either way- both OSs look like they'll be fine

Top Bottom