• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One UI vid w/Snap

Bgamer90

Banned
I feel bad for those guys. :/ Up and coming YouTuber's, forming a group, trying to make a name for themselves and get an audience. Validate themselves as hopefully the next gaming news site or channel, and the first video they upload that's getting attention is getting decimated in dislikes by the "console war".

Yeah, definitely agree.

Lynn616

There were whispers of IGN doing a video, but I'm not to sure of what became of it. We've also seen Shu demo the UI live at Gamescom on stage while MS has never shown a live demo anywhere. Judging from the video, it looked like it still has some work to go.

How do we know it was live?

KillGore

Instead of bickering over previous rumors, can someone please answer me if we know yet whether or not we can keep the original aspect ratio when snapping instead of squishing the screen? :p

Also, can I move the snap window and overlay it on the screen anywhere I'd like?

Basically I don't want to squish the picture, but it would be great to be able to put a walkthrough video wherever a game has less use of the screen. So for example, you can take over part of the HUD on the lower right corner instead of squishing the whole picture.

Thanks!

This would be great

Would be cool if you could have the game running in the background and have the web browser on top of it, semi-transparent. Well maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. Options would be good.

I'm still a little unconvinced that I'd use this feature all the time, but I'd really need to play around with it firsthand to know for sure. And an absolutely necessary predicate for me adopting this feature is that it be really snappy and flawless to execute. The video seems to support that, but one of the things causing all the hubbub over the last week is accounts that Snap doesn't play nice with the other apps and causes frequent crashes right now. So we'll just have to see when this thing enters the wild.

GavinGT

Banned
I feel bad for those guys. :/ Up and coming YouTuber's, forming a group, trying to make a name for themselves and get an audience. Validate themselves as hopefully the next gaming news site or channel, and the first video they upload that's getting attention is getting decimated in dislikes by the "console war".

Yep, it's super dumb.

jem0208

Why does the video have an equal amount of likes to dislikes since it was posted on GAF? I swear it's gone up by 40+ dislikes since it was posted here...

Is there something objectionably wrong with he video? Why the dislikes? As a video maker, it's frustrating when people dislike your content with no explanation why. It's a consent worry of "What did I do wrong? Is my quality not good enough? Is my voice bad? Was I unfunny? Did I offend someone?". It's really rude to dislike a video for no reason. :/

It's a positive X1 video.

It probably isn't due to being posted on Gaf though because almost every X1 vid I have seen has a pretty bad like/dislike ratio.

falconbox

Banned
Far from useless imo. Say you are waiting to respawn in a game and need to look up something. snap it.

By the looks of it I'd have died half a dozen times by the time I find what I need. I'd rather just pull out my smartphone for a quick google search.

Snapped tv on the other hand is a different story. That is a feature I would want.

Working, but looks to be on the rough side. I don't think using IE made for a pretty good example, either. It would be much quicker for me to just whip out my phone if I wanted to check something online.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, I have to take my eyes away from the screen for second screen stuff or tablet, here I can keep playing while paying attention to something else too. That experience could be possible if I mounted a tablet next to my TV but this sounds way more convenient to me.

I guess. For things that you want instant notification of - eg scores, twitter updates etc it might be useful to have it in your line of sight but not necessarily fully focused on it. It will be interesting to see what people come up with for that area.

EvB

Because MS is not showing a 3-4 minute little tutorial video for a feature that is defining their console about 23 days away from launch because of licensing issues?

There have been various videos demonstrating various dashboard features since E3. Have a look around and you'll find them on wired and other places.
There are also numerous shaky cam videos that people have taken and snippets from streams that have been done.

Microsoft have released 2 videos that show a working interface or a 'sequence shortened' interface in the last month.

On the flip side of this you have got Sony who have shown EVEN less and are launching 7 days earlier.

I don't think you have looked hard enough before making those comments.

Caayn

There were whispers of IGN doing a video, but I'm not to sure of what became of it. We've also seen Shu demo the UI live at Gamescom on stage while MS has never shown a live demo anywhere. Judging from the video, it looked like it still has some work to go.
How do we know it was Live? It could have just as well been staged, much like every other E3 presentation.

LowParry

Not slick but I see the potential of its use. However I do that on my phone. Pretty neat though seeing it in action.

KillGore

I think I'll stick with using my phone or laptop beside me for web browsing. Can I use the snap feature for watching TV? Netflix, Hulu? Would be cool

Godslay

Banned
Looks okay.

Should get better as it comes long. Compare original 360 dash, to what it is now. Night and day.

I think that being able to follow a stream while you play would be great. Can you display a cable signal (HDMI) through the Xbone? Would be great to hook up the cable box, and watch a football game while playing on the other side. Might be compressed, but worth it if you could do something like that.

baphomet

Holy shit that looks bad....Who the fuck wants 1/4 an internet explorer page taking up the same screen they're playing games on?

dtg

Neo Member
The snap window is too small. It's the same deal on Windows 8. The tiling implementation is just not big enough to do anything besides load a small list (like a build order for SC2, skill order for League/Dota, Tweets). The tiling is just bad. I wish MS would give us more robust tiling options. Not even awesome or xmonad levels, but just something a little more.

EvB

Is the Snap feature supposed to also work without Kinect? I'd love to never plug that thing in...

That video showed them snapping it without kinect.
You select the app then choose 'snap' from the menu that appears. On the machine I tried there was even a specific option to 'snap and app' on the main dash.
Just telling the machine to snap a particular app seems more convienient though.

kharma45

The snap window is too small. It's the same deal on Windows 8. The tiling implementation is just not big enough to do anything besides load a small list (like a build order for SC2, skill order for League/Dota, Tweets). The tiling is just bad. I wish MS would give us more robust tiling options. Not even awesome or xmonad levels, but just something a little more.

Luckily that was fixed with 8.1 where the snapped apps can be any size now. I'd imagine MS will do the same here.

SPDIF

Holy shit that looks bad....Who the fuck wants 1/4 an internet explorer page taking up the same screen they're playing games on?

Change the settings so that it only shows mobile sites, then browse mobile GAF while playing a game. Some people might like that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why not just allow the user to snap like old school picture-in-picture? And of course allow the user to decide which corner or space on the screen to put the PiP in case there are HUD elements on screen.

Looks okay.

Should get better as it comes long. Compare original 360 dash, to what it is now. Night and day.

I think that being able to follow a stream while you play would be great. Can you display a cable signal (HDMI) through the Xbone? Would be great to hook up the cable box, and watch a football game while playing on the other side. Might be compressed, but worth it if you could do something like that.
That was one of their examples I believe. Having a NFL or any sports game snapped to side while playing a Xbox game.

luoapp

I guess. For things that you want instant notification of - eg scores, twitter updates etc it might be useful to have it in your line of sight but not necessarily fully focused on it. It will be interesting to see what people come up with for that area.

It's actually better if they use the notification for that instead of wasting 1/4 of the screen.

USC-fan

Banned
Really do not see the point of this feature. With everyone having phones and tablets. Seems this would have been cool on x360 when most people didnt have a second screen with them.

Hope they have some good ideas down the road for this. I hope the rumors of the performance problem from this feature are just bugs in the code. I would hate it if a lot of the system resources are reserved for this "feature."

ec0ec0

if i want to use the internet while i am playing... it would feel "strange" to use that when all i have to do is pick the tablet, its easy.

EDIT: those youtube comments... gaf is everywere

Agreed but that's how it is, awful community in my opinion especially some of the personalities that post videos there. Good luck to them anyway, hope things get better.

PBY

Banned
Sorry I should have reiterated in my post, what application does this have in a world full of smartphones/tablets?

Skype could be cool. Tv watching could be cool. Walkthrough + gameplay could be cool.

I dunno. I don't know that any of those are super compelling, but I think the possibilities are cool and theres potential for awesome stuff.

Assuming they do dash updates like last gen, I hope they bring Win8.1's 1/2-1/2 snap feature. That will be perfect for me. Already I'm foresee using this snap feature as it is currently a lot.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It actually looks functional but I hope they give you the option to just overlay and swap instead of it just sitting there in the corner.

False edit, I just got to that part but the game looks squished. I'm pretty sure you can just got from game to browser so the end product should be fine.

mocoworm

Sorry I should have reiterated in my post, what application does this have in a world full of smartphones/tablets?

It snaps any app doesn't it?. Skype etc. Video calls while still playing etc. Music apps. Video apps. Your recorded video apps. There's loads of great uses.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I think I'll stick with using my phone or laptop beside me for web browsing. Can I use the snap feature for watching TV? Netflix, Hulu? Would be cool

Yes, I know you can with Netflix and imagine it would be the same for the others.

Heretic

I'm not disagreeing with you and I see your point but the benefit of this is that you don't have to look away from the screen. Also, you can be watching tv and have espn snapped like the fantasy football feature that they're promoting. I'm not a fan but that's pretty cool. Multitasking isn't forced. I'm sure you'll find a good combo.

NeoUltima

Looks like it works pretty nicely. Could be handy to open a GameFAQs guide while playing a game I guess. Outside of that I don't see it getting much use when gaming. But if you were watching TV it would get more use (especially during commercials).

Tomcat

By the looks of it I'd have died half a dozen times by the time I find what I need. I'd rather just pull out my smartphone for a quick google search.

Snapped tv on the other hand is a different story. That is a feature I would want.

maybe then you are waiting for the multi game to fill with players and start. snap mode could be useful to check your twitter or have a news reader and check the latest news etc.

Why not just allow the user to snap like old school picture-in-picture? And of course allow the user to decide which corner or space on the screen to put the PiP in case there are HUD elements on screen.

Because the smaller PiP screen would be so small it would be unusable unless you had at least a 60inch TV.

Top Bottom