• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

What experiences explicitly use the sensor?

Will the XB1 dashboard need it?
Will XBL need it? Will web browsing, DVRing or using video apps?

Bsigg12

I still like it being packed with every system, gives devs that assurance and automatically lets them know the market size.

Exactly. Maintain that it's still there with every system so that developers know they can makes games for it and not be hoping people buy the kinect to play the game.

What experiences explicitly use the sensor?

Will the XB1 dashboard need it?
Will XBL need it? Will web browsing, DVRing or using video apps?

XBL won't need it. The other things though have optional voice and gesture commands. Whitten later says

How “off” can Kinect be when the system is in use?
WHITTEN: You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order

bryehn

Yet still bundled with every Xbox One

Surely in an attempt to have developers use it more across the board. They spent shitloads acquiring the tech and improving it to where it's at now. I'm actually a big fan of voice commands, so I don't mind too much, though unless actual motion game software using this thing is 100 times better than what it is now it will always be relegated to controlling Netflix and issuing squad commands in my household.

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty big news if true. I know that many people were holding off on getting one due to the requirement.

Won't fully believe it until there's like an official MS blog or Xbox Wire stating this.

Krakn3Dfx

Huh, that's interesting and flies in the face of everything said up until now. I think we need 2nd separate confirmation on this and exactly what it means. His answer is hell of vague.

Don't the XBO controllers need to Kinect to work properly?

monlo

I will never believe anything MS stands for ever again. I don't even care if the Kinect is required or not in 2013, because by 2015, who says they won't require it then? Once a flop... always a flop...

A few months ago I thought the X1 was going to be dead in the water, and do even worse than the WiiU this holiday season. Crazy how much it has changed.

X1 now seems like a pretty solid machine now, especially if the Kinect 2 can create great experiences you can't get anywhere else.

I actually think this a terrible move for them. People are just going to trade this thing right back to Gamestop and get store credit. What is the point of packaging this in every box again?

Coxy

if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.

I get the feeling this will be most/all games

I'm afraid they're going to claim the camera is necessary to play ANY game though, due to it "seeing the controller, etc".

Yep

So obligatory terrible kinect implementation in every X1 Exclusive :(

Whole reason I'd buy one would be for exclusives

Still this is the right direction
I hope

I actually think this a terrible move for them. People are just going to trade this thing right back to Gamestop and get store credit. What is the point of packaging this in every box again?
It's as worthless as a charger if every system comes with one. Best bet, some PC hobbyist buys it from you for a fair price.

This is actually really important news. I don't think they will create a Kinectless package because a lot of what the Xbox One is all about is possible through Kinect. I also believe the reason why they will keep Kinect in the box is so that it better ensures all/more developers and consumers use it so that it becomes more of the standard rather than an option.

Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I think that is the mentality they are in right now.

Will Gamestop even WANT to accept the Kinect 2? They can't really sell it... unless they want to only sell used Kinect 2s... but then who would buy one? Everyone already has one, no need to buy a Kinect 2.

Don't see why Gamestop would accept Kinect 2 trade ins.

calder

Great news if true, but...

Why couldn't they say that in the first place. Jesus Christ.

... yeah. Why not just say that straight off? They've gone out of their way to say it had to be plugged in on numerous occasions. Is this just a misunderstanding or did something change?

RoKKeR

Yep.

180 1: online check in relaxed, game selling/sharing etc to be like on the 360
180 2: indie game devs can self publish
180 3: headset included with every system
180 4: Kinect no longer mandatory for system operation

Two more and we'll have a full 1080.

Haha, I love this.

Huh, that's interesting and flies in the face of everything said up until now. I think we need 2nd separate confirmation on this and exactly what it means. His answer is hell of vague.

Don't the XBO controllers need to Kinect to work properly?

I'm assuming that without the Kinect the controllers would sync the way they do now.

judging by the long paragraph before the actual answer, it's pretty obvious they still want people using Kinect (so it's most likely always going to be bundled with the system), but this does address the "my kinect broke" or the "I don't want the NSA watching me" feedback, I suppose.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

Some of the features that requires Kinect:
Playing games
Watching NFL
Playing movies

Features that do not require Kinect:
Powering on XBone
Displaying a message that you need to plug in Kinect

I was sure this was coming but I figured it would be one of their bigger Gamescom announcements. Guess they wanted to get it out there ahead of time.

Nice news for anyone that despises Kinect, though I doubt they're going to pull it out of the box any time soon.

Great news if true, but...

... yeah. Why not just say that straight off? They've gone out of their way to say it had to be plugged in on numerous occasions. Is this just a misunderstanding or did something change?

I don't think anything changed, they just want people to keep it plugged in. 90% of his response it talking up the benefits and the last 10% is a nod to those who don't care about those benefits.

Fox Mulder

lol one of the biggest complaints on this form about the XB1 removed

I don't like paying for kinect in the box if I'm never going to use it, but being able to throw it in the garbage and still be able to play games would be great. I assume every game will have some forced kinect stuff in it though.

Tonguer

Which is a GOOD thing.
So Now devs can assume EVERYONE has a kinect and will support it while 'crazy' people can unplug it if they think people are spying on them.

Everyone wins?
Yes, yes they do :)

THIIIIIIIIIIIS.

Completely agree.

Top Bottom