• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

Well that's that! Kinect not required to be plugged in.

I'll keep mine plugged in, but this is great news for those who were complaining about that.

Will wait for some real confirmation, but this is a great step.

I really can't think of any reason I am against the One besides the complete lack of Japanese support. I need mah jRPGs, and those won't be on the One.

Oh, and the price, but prices change.

Unless you count FFXV and Kingdom Hearts as JRPGs.

Why didnt they confirm this a looong time ago? Could have saved themselves a lot of bad press.

Most likely just another last minute policy change due to the outcry.

Im stunned.

PSGames

"That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor." - WHITTEN on IGN's new Xbox One ask me anything.

MEGATON? Is this confirmation that Xbox One doesn't require Kinect to be plugged in?

FULL QUESTION AND FULL ANSWER.

SOURCE: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

This is great if true, don't have to have it plugged in, but you won't be able to use voice commands or any other Kinect features, as expected. I'm excited GAF, how close are we to getting a Kinectless Xbox One SKU? It used to be improbable because Kinect was part of the Xbox One experience from the get go, but now if you don't need to have it connected at all times, may they decided to not make you buy it if you don't want it?

Ugh I hate all this back tracking. Kinect being bundled with all skus is a good thing. It adds so much to the experience there's really no reason for someone not to use it.

The Flash

Banned
Good for the people who didn't want it to be a requirement. I'm glad that they're still packaging it with the One though. I actually plan to use this Kinect.

Bsigg12

Not really as we are still forced to own one.

One step closer to a kinectless SKU though.

I'm against the idea of a Kinectless sku. It'll be like Sony sending the PS Eye out to die because the adoption rate will be so low. The same would happen to the Kinect which completely destroys any kind of advancement of the technology.

Absinthe

Wow. Microsoft is in full damage control mode. I would love to see what those pre-order numbers were before the first 180.

All they have to do now is lower the price and they might get the people who wrote them off to actually purchase a system.

why bundle it

remove and sell for less

Then you have the problem that Developers won't want to utilize it in games, because the install rate of Kinect - Xbox One isn't 100% or even close to it.

This is a new trade off, now gamers who don't WANT to have Kinect plugged in don't need to, and developers have the reassurance that those gamers DO have the Kinect, and they'll be willing to plug it back in if a game utilizes the Kinect in a desirable way. All they have to do is make the Kinect desirable to have plugged in.

I thought this was known? Weird.
I didn't know it, and have asked about it several times, and have been following these threads like a hawk.

*shrugs*

But seriously. The only problem I have left is the comically stupid Gold paywall on apps and free-to-play games. The price and optional-but-bundled Kinect are fine by me.

Huh, that's interesting and flies in the face of everything said up until now. I think we need 2nd separate confirmation on this and exactly what it means. His answer is hell of vague.

Don't the XBO controllers need to Kinect to work properly?
How is it vague seems pretty clear to me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd say it's highly informed. Unless you think waving your arms at your TV is the future of gaming.

In which case, I'll stay stuck in the past, thanks.

Tell me, how is Kinect 2? Since you've used it? Also how has the landscape of Kinect 2 software changed since devs know every system comes with one?

RoKKeR

I'm against the idea of a Kinectless sku. It'll be like Sony sending the PS Eye out to die because the adoption rate will be so low. The same would happen to the Kinect which completely destroys any kind of advancement of the technology.

Agreed, but it makes it hard to stomach the price due to a camera that may or may not be utilized more than it was this gen.

Arkam

Alright then, MS, let's see that $400 Kinect-less model and I'm there.

No No No!!
If the kinect is not bundled it will not be as well supported and IMO just be a repeat of last gen.

If its about price/Value MS can give fee game download...

That's great news if there ends up being no spin to this.

However for me it's still the weaker console, is more expensive, and it's features are not in any way designed to be of use to anywhere outside of the US.

Therefore I'm still out. Sorry but I don't have a short memory.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How is it vague seems pretty clear to me.
although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

which experiences? does this include all games? I doubt it but you never know.

I guess people are just looking for the angles since this is the first time they've said this.

Why didnt they confirm this a looong time ago? Could have saved themselves a lot of bad press.

Most likely just another last minute policy change due to the outcry.

Im stunned.
The only "bad press" they received was from the vocal minority of the hardcore. Most people are actually okay with Kinect and don't see it as some evil intrusion.

I like that Microsoft are backing up on so many things, competition is a good thing.

But are people really happy with a company that tried to screw hem and had to do so many 180s? No skepticism whatsoever?

Wow. Microsoft is in full damage control mode. I would love to see what those pre-order numbers were before the first 180.

All they have to do now is lower the price and they might get the people who wrote them off to actually purchase a system.
Theyve already done that, with me at least.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I have serious doubts about the number of people who would pay for Kinect and then just leave it in the box without plugging it in.

Raide

Please MS, don't split the Xbox One/Kinect userbase by pandering to people that want to strip the console of any unique or interesting features for developers to play with.

I'd say it's highly informed. Unless you think waving your arms at your TV is the future of gaming.

In which case, I'll stay stuck in the past, thanks.

Kinect isn't a gimmick with the way they are using it on Xbox One.

Kinect is really the only way that multitasking and many apps are feasible on a console. You can't type with your controller, and you don't want to have to stop playing your games.

Also there are many little features Kinect offers that are truly valuable... like auto signing in, switching profiles when you swap controllers, switching the split-screen location depending on where you're sitting, Skype for every console, etc.

Plus it acts like a IR blaster to control your living room devices...

Marleyman

Banned
That's great news if there ends up being no spin to this.

However for me it's still the weaker console, is more expensive, and it's features are not in any way designed to be of use to anywhere outside of the US.

Therefore I'm still out. Sorry but I don't have a short memory.

Sounds like Xbox was NEVER going to be for you.

oVerde

Banned
Lol at people thinking Kinect is the reason of the $100 over Ps4.

And again, Kinect should come with every Xbox One, no excuses.
Xbox isno Playstation, stop trying to turn it down.

Microsoft keeps slipping from their ideal vision of the Xbox One.

I just can't believe that this huge news is buried away in an IGN article. They need to really drive home the changes with a giant-ass advertisement or something, because they really need to undo the negative press.

This step is also one step closer to getting a $399 version, but they simply cannot half-ass Kinect by splitting the userbase.

So can we draft up a list of games confirmed as Kinect required?

- Kinect Sports Rivals
- Disney Fantasia
- Just Dance 2014
- Zumba Fitness: World Party

Great line up of games you guys won't be playing

BigDug13

So Kinect will be just as useful in gaming as the PS camera. Time to make it optional MS. They can still integrate all the voice UI stuff.

Ugh I hate all this back tracking. Kinect being bundled with all skus is a good thing. It adds so much to the experience there's really no reason for someone not to use it.

It's something that should be optional, and I haven't seen how it adds so much to the experience yet.

Tell me, how is Kinect 2? Since you've used it? Also how has the landscape of Kinect 2 software changed since devs know every system comes with one?

As I said, in don't want to wave my arms around like a shithead to control my TV or games. Version 1.0 or 2.0 doesn't matter one fucking bit.

So put your straw man away and focus on what I actually said.

Top Bottom