• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

Tell me, how is Kinect 2? Since you've used it? Also how has the landscape of Kinect 2 software changed since devs know every system comes with one?

I can't wait to play the innovative RYSE with just Kinect controls because the original demo promised that it would be a Kin--

Oh...it's played with a controller now?

I guess you're right. Me and my uninformed opinion just can't accept the gift from god that will be Just Dance 5 and WiiKinect Sports Resort 15.

Fuck that noise. Kinect is garbage, and yes it's an opinion. An opinion of many consumers who have this shit called cash which won't be going to Microsoft because said consumers don't feel like paying money for garbage.

I don't like paying for kinect in the box if I'm never going to use it, but being able to throw it in the garbage and still be able to play games would be great. I assume every game will have some forced kinect stuff in it though.

lol, I'm honestly confused by responses like this. Assuming you're already paying for it, why not plug it in and use whatever benefits it does happen to offer? It's not solely a "herp derp wave your arms around" device.

Or is this just another version of the "I don't want anyone watching/listening to me" criticism?

Marleyman

Banned
Please MS, don't split the Xbox One/Kinect userbase by pandering to people that want to strip the console of any unique or interesting features for developers to play with.

Seriously, the only ones still complaining were already on board with Sony anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
That's great, so why do I have to pay the extra price and be forced to buy one if I don't plan to ever use it? Give me a version without Kinect for $400.00 and then we will talk business.

eso76

That's great for all the paranoids out there who like to play with their dicks out and are sure there's people watching / listening to them all day.
Eh.

bankster

Banned
And now they just make sure that every first party game has a some Kinect feature, so that in effect you have to keep the damned thing plugged in.

Einbroch

Banned
Lol at people thinking Kinect is the reason of the $100 over Ps4.

And again, Kinect should come with every Xbox One, no excuses.

Er...it pretty much is the reason, isn't it? I personally have no issue with the Kinect, but it almost assuredly is the reason the One is more expensive. What else could it be? If it's not that, it's greed, and that's WAY worse than any camera.

So Kinect will be just as useful in gaming as the PS camera. Time to make it optional MS. They can still integrate all the voice UI stuff.
By including the camera, they make it the device to make motion games for by indies.
As long as the indie development environment is at least as friendly as Sony's.

eastmen

Banned
Yep.

180 1: online check in relaxed, game selling/sharing etc to be like on the 360
180 2: indie game devs can self publish
180 3: headset included with every system
180 4: Kinect no longer mandatory for system operation

Two more and we'll have a full 1080.

would be nice if we get the online game features back if we hit 1080.

Bsigg12

Agreed, but it makes it hard to stomach the price due to a camera that may or may not be utilized more than it was this gen.

I think there will be a pretty good push to use the camera in interesting ways. With the original Kinect, Microsoft was pushing a piece of hardware late in a console's life and really couldn't expect devs to fully embrace it. Now the tech has matured, and is in every console which makes being creative with the Kinect a much easier proposition because every console has one and as a dev you're not relying on Microsoft to sell a camera that was $149.99 (I could be wrong here) at launch.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As I said, in don't want to wave my arms around like a shithead to control my TV or games. Version 1.0 or 2.0 doesn't matter one fucking bit.

So put your straw man away and focus on what I actually said.

Kinect has other functions that don't involve any arm-waving. But you're here to hate Kinect 2 before it releases, so keep on keeping on!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Please MS, don't split the Xbox One/Kinect userbase by pandering to people that want to strip the console of any unique or interesting features for developers to play with.
Pretty much. Bundling it in with next-gen was probably the most interesting thing going into next gen.

Without that, well, I guess people can enjoy Kinect games in their current state with little incentive to develop for them. Though I do think allowing it to function without it plugged in is a great idea for people with different gaming set ups, stuff like fighting game tournaments. Options are great, but I don't want it not bundled in. Stifles creativity just like it did with current gen Kinect.

Alx

I get the feeling this will be most/all games

Well, that's the whole point. It's there to be used.
Of course there's no way it can win that argument, either most games will use it and people will complain that it has to be plugged in, or they're not and the same people will say it's "a useless piece of shit" and require a kinect-less SKU.

Marleyman

Banned
That's great, so why do I have to pay the extra price and be forced to buy one if I don't plan to ever use it? Give me a version without Kinect for $400.00 and then we will talk business.

It isn't just for games. You wouldn't use it to take advantage of the dashboard functionality? What if it is implemented slightly into your favorite game and you use it?

Er...it pretty much is the reason, isn't it? I personally have no issue with the Kinect, but it almost assuredly is the reason the One is more expensive. What else could it be? If it's not that, it's greed, and that's WAY worse than any camera.

it's a likely reason, but have there been any actual teardowns or anything to confirm? Other reasons could include "MS wants to be profitable out of the gate like Nintendo", for example, and maybe Kinect isn't even the main driver of cost. Again, it seems intuitive that it is, but I'm curious if it's been confirmed anywhere.

HyperV

Banned
I'm against the idea of a Kinectless sku. It'll be like Sony sending the PS Eye out to die because the adoption rate will be so low. The same would happen to the Kinect which completely destroys any kind of advancement of the technology.

^^^ This. MS have spent millions on developing that technology. Its probably the main USP for XB1.

Azull

Kinect is what differentiated itself from the PS4. Now there really is no differences except one is much weaker and costs more, while the other is much more powerful and costs less.

Who the hell would pay for the former.

2San

I like that Microsoft are backing up on so many things, competition is a good thing.

But are people really happy with a company that tried to screw hem and had to do so many 180s? No skepticism whatsoever?
By that logic people shouldn't get a PS4 because Sony have removed features in the past(OtherOS). In general afaik MS haven't really changed policies against the consumer when the actual product has launched.
^^^ This. MS have spent millions on developing that technology. Its probably the main USP for XB1.
Yeah I think the Kinect should be in there, still think the X1 is a hard buy at 500 euro imo. I'll probably get the PS4 first and get the XB1 when it hits 400 euro.

Top Bottom