• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Enhanced Games - Full List of Titles and Details

We already know some of those enhancements but they are all in the graphics department like:
- better view distance
- higher quality assets
- better lighting
- better shadows
I really doubt that "Xbox One X Enhanced" only applies to upgrades other than resolution or framerate. It makes much more sense for it to just be a marker that the play experience will be improved in some way. It seems to me that a game running the same as on standard Xbox One but at 4K resolution is "One X enhanced". So I wouldn't take the presence of this tag to guarantee upgrades besides resolution. There may often be some, of course, given the power of the machine. But it'll be on a case by case basis.

The logic runs at 90 for sure, but I think graphics wise it's 60.
On standard Xbox Ones there's no way it's running at 90fps output. But One X does make that possible, with its support for variable-refresh displays. I don't think there are any TVs that support it, and such monitors are rare. But in theory it could be done.

Colbert

Banned
I really doubt that "Xbox One X Enhanced" only applies to upgrades other than resolution or framerate. It makes much more sense for it to just be a marker that the play experience will be improved in some way. It seems to me that a game running the same as on standard Xbox One but at 4K resolution is "One X enhanced". So I wouldn't take the presence of this tag to guarantee upgrades besides resolution. There may often be some, of course, given the power of the machine. But it'll be on a case by case basis.

You may have noticed that for games running at 4K there is its own "4K" logo for it. There are 3 logos: "4K", "HDR" and "Xbox One X Enhanced" and somewhere in one of the Xbox One X threads those logos are explained (by a link to where it is explained).

Edit:
As a service for you here is the explanation for each logo.

2UPSrBV.png

You may have noticed that for games running at 4K there is its own "4K" logo for it. There are 3 logos: "4K", "HDR" and "Xbox One X Enhanced" and somewhere in one of the Xbox One X threads those logos are explained (by a link to where it is explained).
What about a game that originally ran at 900p and hitchy framerate that's now 1800p and solid 60fps, but no other changes? It won't have a 4K badge; do you think it also won't have "Xbox One X Enhanced" on it? The packaging just won't mention any improvements at all?

Lorul2

I just thought of something Mighty number 9 was supposed to be a great new franchise but it had a lot of performance issues could the Xbox One X make Mighty number 9 realize its potential

Night.Ninja

Banned
On standard Xbox Ones there's no way it's running at 90fps output. But One X does make that possible, with its support for variable-refresh displays. I don't think there are any TVs that support it, and such monitors are rare. But in theory it could be done.

I'm sure the devs said something like it's runs at a higher frame rate so it never drops below 60fps

EmiPrime

I just thought of something Mighty number 9 was supposed to be a great new franchise but it had a lot of performance issues could the Xbox One X make Mighty number 9 realize its potential

No. Performance issues are the least of that crap game's problems.

Colbert

Banned
What about a game that originally ran at 900p and hitchy framerate that's now 1800p and solid 60fps, but no other changes? It won't have a 4K badge; do you think it also won't have "Xbox One X Enhanced" on it? The packaging just won't mention any improvements at all?

I assume it will be the same as with PS4 Pro and "dynamic 4K" which would lead to a"4K" sticker.
The "Xbox One X Enhanced" logo is clearly for things beyond resolution if you look into the description. What is so hard for you to understand it?

Edit:
Correction: A game with a max frame buffer of 1800p would not get a 4K badge. What I wrote above in italic was incorrect!

I'm sure the devs said something like it's runs at a higher frame rate so it never drops below 60fps
Sure, but the output is capped to 60fps on standard Xbox Ones. On One X, there's the possibility to actually output that higher framerate--though it requires special display hardware.

I assume it will be the same as with PS4 Pro and "dynamic 4K" which would lead to a"4K" sticker.
The Pro doesn't have a separate 4K badge, so I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. In any case, 1800p is not any kind of 4K, so it won't get that tag. Just look at the official explanation, which specifies 2160p buffer at least some of the time. Again, will that hypothetical game just not have any One X badging at all, even though it is improved?

The "Xbox One X Enhanced" logo is clearly for things beyond resolution if you look into the description.
No, the "Enhanced" badge's description says absolutely nothing about not applying to resolution or framerate increases. Those also constitute taking advantage of One X's power.

Colbert

Banned
The Pro doesn't have a separate 4K badge, so I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. In any case, 1800p is not any kind of 4K, so it won't get that tag. Just look at the official explanation, which specifies 2160p buffer at least some of the time. Again, will that hypothetical game just not have any One X badging at all, even though it is improved?

No, the "Enhanced" badge's description says absolutely nothing about not applying to resolution or framerate increases. Those also constitute taking advantage of One X's power.

There is badge for resolution and there is a badge for further enhancements. You will see when the first games are releases how it will be handled and then you can come back to me and we can continue the discussion on the subject.

And you also can think about why I am so sure about it!

I never said output at 90, in fact I said the opposite, that it outputs at 60fps.

But internally they ran the logic at 90fps to reduce network delay.

Colbert

Banned
I never said output at 90, in fact I said the opposite, that it outputs at 60fps.

I suppose it would have been clearer if you would have been used the term "90Hz" which is what actually is happening. Because fps suggests there is a frame output.

KageMaru

Edit:
As a service for you here is the explanation for each logo.

Maybe I'm not following the conversation correctly but wouldn't all games with X support just feature the "Xbox One X Enhanced" stamp on the front of the case like we see with Pro supported games?

Colbert

Banned
Maybe I'm not following the conversation correctly but wouldn't all games with X support just feature the "Xbox One X Enhanced" stamp on the front of the case like we see with Pro supported games?

To what I know and have the info: No (but the info is from earlier this year and may have changed, you never know with MS LOL)

Edit:
For example:
A patched game: just up rez, no HDR update, nothing else: 4K badge.
A patched game: up rez, high quality assets, HDR: 4K, HDR, Enhanced badges.
A patched game: still 1080p, 60 fps instead of 30 fps, HDR: HDR and Enhanced batch.
A patched game: still 1080p, HDR update, some graphical enhancements: HDR, Enhanced badges.
A new release: 1080p, HDR, high quality assets, more effects in general: HDR, Enhanced badge.
A new release dynamic 4K, additional gfx post-processing, high-quality assets, HDR: All badges (4K, HDR, Enhanced).

There is badge for resolution and there is a badge for further enhancements.
So a 1800p game with higher framerate would have no badges on it at all. That seems like a poor choice on Microsoft's part, but okay, I gotcha.

You seemed uncertain about the 60fps output at first, which is why I responded. But it was clear later what you were saying.

Colbert

Banned
So a 1800p game with higher framerate would have no badges on it at all. That seems like a poor choice on Microsoft's part, but okay, I gotcha.

Do you expect a game with 1800p resolution and a higher frame rate than on a normal Xbox One?

Or is it just a theoretical case you make here?

Do you have an example for a game to sport those attributes?

I am really interested to get behind your thought process here!

Do you expect a game with 1800p resolution and a higher frame rate than on a normal Xbox One?

Or is it just a theoretical case you make here?

Do you have an example for a game to sport those attributes?

I am really interested to get behind your thought process here!
It's a hypothetical, but I see no reason why it couldn't happen. Microsoft are clearly not mandating any particular benefits, so devs can choose as they will. A decent number of patched games run at 1440p on PS4 Pro, which is about 50% fewer pixels than 1800p so that roughly fits the One X power advantage.

I chose the example specifically to test an edge case. I thought you were also excluding framerates from the "Enhanced" badge, so I could have been even more probative by proposing a game that goes to 1800p and stays solid 60fps. By what you're saying, this game would receive no badging at all. That just seems a little odd to me, but I'm willing to believe that's the plan.

Colbert

Banned
It's a hypothetical, but I see no reason why it couldn't happen. Microsoft are clearly not mandating any particular benefits, so devs can choose as they will. A decent number of patched games run at 1440p on PS4 Pro, which is about 50% fewer pixels than 1800p so that roughly fits the One X power advantage.

I chose the example specifically to test an edge case. I thought you were also excluding framerates from the "Enhanced" badge, so I could have been even more probative by proposing a game that goes to 1800p and stays solid 60fps. By what you're saying, this game would receive no badging at all. That just seems a little odd to me, but I'm willing to believe that's the plan.
your case would have the Enhanced badge due to the 60 fps instead of 30 on a normal Xbox One. but your case is also very theoretical as i can't see that odd combination. the chance is higher devs will favor 2160p cbr instead of a native 1800p and also maintain the frame rate of normal Xbox One games for the most time. but we will see when the console is released and games on there too.

Leyasu

Banned

Shocked to see you in an Xbox thread...

Anyway, I Imagine that any game that has a base plus x version will get the "enhanced" badge.

I would've thought that they will want everyone to see just how many games are getting support.

your case would have the Enhanced badge due to the 60 fps instead of 30 on a normal Xbox One.
No, for the revised example I said "stays solid 60fps" as in, it was already solid 60fps on the standard model. So by what you say are the rules, without a framerate bump, graphical changes, or 4K resolution, it would get no badge.

...but your case is also very theoretical as i can't see that odd combination. the chance is higher devs will favor 2160p cbr instead of a native 1800p and also maintain the frame rate of normal Xbox One games for the most time.
So you believe that every single patched game will have a 4K framebuffer of some kind, or else have heavily reworked graphical settings if not? That seems a more exacting prediction than mine, actually. Plausible for "higher devs" as you say, but what about medium-tier games? Do you expect them to to always reach so high?

Anyway, I Imagine that any game that has a base plus x version will get the "enhanced" badge.

I would've thought that they will want everyone to see just how many games are getting support.
I agree, but Colbert says that Microsoft's guidelines don't follow this path. I trust him, which is why I think it's a little odd (though ultimately not that important).

JaffeLion

Banned
Add Mantis Burn Racing to the list with 4K an Xbox One X enhanced at least.

VooFoo said:
As an added extra, we’re throwing in some anti-aliasing on Xbox One X at 4K. We had to drop this on PS4 Pro – we were happy to do that because with pixels so small, a bit of aliasing isn’t a problem. But when we can do it, it adds a whole extra layer to the crispness and clarity of the image.

Source: http://wccftech.com/voofoo-xb1x-substantially-more-powerful/

damn.. 4K + AA? Must look so crisp.

JoeLT

I would love a badge for solid framerate, not even a 60fps or 30fps badge, just a badge that the game has been run through framerate analysis from 3 hours of play and the average is whatever its target framerate is.

MilkyJoe

I would love a badge for Solid framerate, not even a 60fps or 30fps badge, just a badge that the game has been run through framerate analysis from 3 hours of play and the average is whatever its target framerate it.

The wider market has no real idea.

I see Brave is on overtime.

Frostman

To be fair though, Titanfall 2 runs 1440p Native on the Pro, yet runs 4K Native on XBX. I Know 1800P works out to around 50% more, but quite clearly XBX can punch above its weight. Or the patch on the Pro didn't take full advantage of it. I really dont think your going to see many games targeting 4K and not hitting that 2160p buffer, whether it's CB or Dynamic.

Colbert

Banned
No, for the revised example I said "stays solid 60fps" as in, it was already solid 60fps on the standard model. So by what you say are the rules, without a framerate bump, graphical changes, or 4K resolution, it would get no badge.

So you believe that every single patched game will have a 4K framebuffer of some kind, or else have heavily reworked graphical settings if not? That seems a more exacting prediction than mine, actually. Plausible for "higher devs" as you say, but what about medium-tier games? Do you expect them to to always reach so high?

I agree, but Colbert says that Microsoft's guidelines don't follow this path. I trust him, which is why I think it's a little odd (though ultimately not that important).

a) Okay then I misunderstood your point. Indeed no badge if there are absolutely no enhancements at all in your theoretical case (including nothing from my 1st list of examples).

b) Yes I assume exactly that based on the profiling data was published by Eurogamer. I assume we will see games will use a 4K framebuffer with a worst case scenario dynamic 2160p CBR.

c) As Devs are free to do whatever they want IMO it is important if a dev chose to not implement one of the signature features of the console he should not earn a badge which would help to market his game. You can assume that 1st party games go for all badges all the time. I interprete the badges the way that they work into two directions with 1) to a developer who wants to have a badge to make it easier to sell his game and b) to the customer that he knows what he is getting (by some degree).

Edit:
Anybody can check out http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one and set different filters. You will see that amount of games under the categories of 4K and Enhanced are quite different (I know that Ark has the wrong category/badge there but thats based on older info and was not updated by now)

a) Okay then I misunderstood your point. Indeed no badge if there are absolutely no enhancements at all in your theoretical case (including nothing from my 1st list of examples).

b) Yes I assume exactly that based on the profiling data was published by Eurogamer. I assume we will see games will use a 4K framebuffer with a worst case scenario dynamic 2160p CBR.

c) As Devs are free to do whatever they want IMO it is important if a dev chose to not implement one of the signature features of the console he should not earn a badge which would help to market his game. You can assume that 1st party games go for all badges all the time. I interprete the badges the way that they work into two directions with 1) to a developer who wants to have a badge to make it easier to sell his game and b) to the customer that he knows what he is getting (by some degree).

Edit:
Anybody can check out http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one and set different filters. You will see that amount of games under the categories of 4K and Enhanced are quite different (I know that Ark has the wrong category/badge there but thats based on older info and was not updated by now)

I have to agree with Liabe Brave here, the policy and reasoning you suggest is irrational.

Xbox One X Enhanced:
A developer has done special work to take advantage of Xbox One X’s 6 teraflops of power. Specific enhanced features will vary by game.

The way I read it, anything done by the developer causing a difference in the game on the X1X vs the XB1 would be considered an enhancement.

If a games only *enhancement* is resolution, but final resolution does not meet MS's definition of "4K Ultra HD" (example a game that's 900p/30 on Xbox One, and 1800p30 on X1X), then I would have to think it would receive the Enhanced badge. The game would not meet the requirements of the 4K label, but it should still be considered enhanced for the X1X (because it is), and therefore receive the Enhanced badge.

As we've seen with PS4 Pro, devs have supported that console in a variety of ways, including may different resolutions. I expect the average resolution of games on X1X to be higher then on PS4 Pro, but that doesn't mean we'll only see 4K, 4Kcb, or dynamic 4k.

As you mention, devs can do whatever they want with the additional power. That devs should aim there enhancements on the X1X to ensure receipt of a certain badge(s) is ill-considered. In fact, I believe the opposite of what you suggest is true. Promoting games that take advantage of the X1X is in the best interest of selling that console, and MS's badges have been designed in a broad manner as to be easily applicable to the various methods devs have chosen to put the additional power to use. Those badges are there to sell the idea of the X1X console primarily, and secondarily to sell those enhanced games to X1X console owners. Restricting usage of these badges benefits no one.

Colbert

Banned

There is a reason those badges exists and why MS chose to make a separation between resolution, HDR and Enhancements. Especially the 4K badge is there to highlight one of their main promises which is 4K for that very console. Indeed the "Enhanced" logo is not very specific about what is included and what not and there is always the possibility that I misunderstood some of the information I was able to read about the topic.

All this discussion is based on a highly theoretical case in which a dev chose to use a frame buffer of 1800p and then not to implement any enhancements be it in post processing, shadows, view/draw distance, higher quality assets or whatever for the Xbox One X. For me that case is very unlikely to be happening, tbh.

And that is it for me.

FZW

Just watched this Gamespot video on AA. They explained SSAA and why it matters, also they mentioned that X1X will give it free to 4K games on 1080p sets. Figured it would be cool to add here for anyone reading but don't understand some of the benefits that 1080p games get from the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnmw47H0ZE

SSAA stuff starts at 1:06

FZW

Windows Central's List

Windows central has a list that has games, not in the OP

here are the ones I spotted:

Brawlout
Dark and Light
Fable Fortune
Ginger: Beyond The Crystal
Observer
Riverbond
Robocraft Infinity
Strange Brigade
The Darwin Project
Unruly Heroes

Colbert

Banned
According to this tweet KillingZone2 seems to be 4K and Xbox One X Enhanced on Xbox One X:

https://twitter.com/x_enhanced/status/889882431171514371

#KillingFloor2 will have 4k support, increased performance, high resolution textures and shadow maps and increased shadow-fade-out distance.

There was a link provided in the conversation but I did not find there the info stated in the tweet. So take the info with some grain of salt.

http://www.tripwireinteractive.com/news/killing-floor-2-coming-to-xbox-one-and-xbox-one-x.aspx

El_Chino

KageMaru

Colbert

Banned
4K "support" doesn't sound like 4K resolution to me.

I don't know. I should have written "seems to be" instead of "will be". But on the other hand why even mention 4K if its not there in any form or shape! We will find out 7th November!

Top Bottom