• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

EvB

That is probably also down to over excitement, as this is not the general feedback from the VAST majority of 1080p users. I saw way too many people acting like this over the PRO as well, and it was hyperbole down to over excitement at the new tech.

What 1080p content was there for Pro at launch? Anything?

Lort

Banned
My biggest ask is for one that doesn't get incurable stick drift after a few months of use. :(

Out of the 5 Xbox One controllers I've owned, the Elite was the least durable by a large margin.

I'm still grieving its passing.

Log in to register it .. they extended the warranty and mine was fixed for free.

Dahaka

which external drives can you guys recommend?

Seagate Firecude 2,5"
Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB? 3,5"
Seagate Game Hub 8TB? (Barracuda Pro 8TB) 3,5"

Are the 2 3,5" drives hugely apart from the small one?

any benchmarks?

What happens to my accounts when I transfer data between the old console and the X? Are they automatically removed from the old console and activated on the new one?

solis74

1080p user here. Ive posted many screenshots. Look at the enhanced thread or console screenshot thread.

Impressions: 1 word- INCREDIBLE
I stopped console gaming a couple years ago because I started 4k gaming on PC and x1 games looked too ugly to enjoy. I have a 1080p OLED in my living room and I always have to buy every new xbox. So I bought x1x. Now my pc is collecting dust. The upgrade is massive. The enhanced games at 1080p look damn near 4k. Super clean and with enhanced textures and such games rival pc on ultra plus you are getting much better fps and amazing bc upgrades.

Ive played titanfall 2, halo 5, gears4, forza7, asscreed, madden, need for speed payback, killer instinct, skate 3, gears 3, mirrors edge, quantum break, star wars bf2, all at 1080p and all have blown me.away

Great! :)

EvB

Yeah there was plenty. You obviously wasn't around for that though or you would have known yourself.

That was a helpful answer that didn't answer my question, boost mode wasn't there at launch and all I ever hear is how very few games supersampled.

So a genuine question, what games were there at launch for 1080p users?

pieface

Have to say I'm so impressed with this console.

Really is a nice jump from the Xbox One and playing it on a 4K TV just looks awesome.

It's making me want to go and play games I hadn't previously completed or played.

Think i'll give Quantum Break a go next.

Then Gears of war 4

Xbox One X enhanced game updates, and the large downloads to get all my backward compatible 360 games to work, are pretty tough when you've got a 150GB data cap. I've had the console since launch and I estimate I owe at least $30 in overages (50GB per $10). I've got to save downloading of Quantum Break assets for next month. Maybe Gears 4 in January.

FN-2187

Xbox One X enhanced game updates, and the large downloads to get all my backward compatible 360 games to work, are pretty tough when you've got a 150GB data cap. I've had the console since launch and I estimate I owe at least $30 in overages (50GB per $10). I've got to save downloading of Quantum Break assets for next month. Maybe Gears 4 in January.

Yeah, that's rough. I went to an unlimited plan as soon as I started streaming 4K video. I realize some people don't even have unlimited options where they live (or they are just not affordable). Between 4K streaming and the Xbox One X launch, I am sure my data usage will be well over 1TB this month.

munroe

Is there no ISP in the states which have no data caps? Can't even remember the last time the UK had data caps.

Chitown B

Seems to be a bit of an annoyance, but what would you have done before the LG update to pass Atmos audio? Why not just connect the XBox directly to the receiver instead of using the passthrough method which is inferior?

You've forgotten that not all people have receivers. I'm connected directly to my TV as that's all I currently have.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is there no ISP in the states which have no data caps? Can't even remember the last time the UK had data caps.

It really depends on what's available in the area you live in.

A lot of apartment complex also take forever to upgrade their capabilities as well. My buddy is stuck on DSL with 600k down with a 250 gb cap in his apt complex and literally everywhere else aorund him house wise can get 75 megabit with a 1tb cap.

Time Warner/Spectrum
AT&T Uverse
Local ISPs

Really just depends on where you live.

You've forgotten that not all people have receivers. I'm connected directly to my TV as that's all I currently have.

Okay, but if that's the case why would you have the Atmos option turned on? In the linked article, the writer has a Atmos soundbar, but I believe that has an HDMI input that they could have used. If you don't even have that then there doesn't seem to be a reason to have Atmos enabled. Your TV speakers aren't going to give you that.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont know if I should get an 1X or not, I did plan on getting one and im holding off playing titanfall 2, gears4, quantum break, witcher 3 because I feel like if I play them on my X1 im missing out on the improved visuals.
I do want one but £449 is a lot to spend on a console, its just a big pill to swallow and the cheap skate in me is just uncomfortable spending so much money on a console.

Im the type of person who likes to buy things at excellent deals,i did it with both my X1 and Ps4 and got them both under £200 with games and a extra controller.So buying this new console at the high price just feels.....i dunno, like a suckers move.

Normally I would wait but I want to play titanfall 2 and other games.

Chitown B

Okay, but if that's the case why would you have the Atmos option turned on? In the linked article, the writer has a Atmos soundbar, but I believe that has an HDMI input that they could have used. If you don't even have that then there doesn't seem to be a reason to have Atmos enabled. Your TV speakers aren't going to give you that.

Yes, that are. That's the point of LG's Atmos built in. Do a little research. It decodes it for virtual surround sound. There is even a specific button in settings to turn it on.

Yes, that are. That's the point of LG's Atmos built in. Do a little research. It decodes it for virtual surround sound. There is even a specific button in settings to turn it on.

I'm aware what virtual surround sound is, but simulated Atmos from tiny TV speakers aren't going to do much to reproduce height effects. Now some of the more expensive LG OLEDs like the W7 have a separate speaker system that would get you closer to what you want, but not on a C7.

Calibos

1080p user here. Ive posted many screenshots. Look at the enhanced thread or console screenshot thread.

Impressions: 1 word- INCREDIBLE
I stopped console gaming a couple years ago because I started 4k gaming on PC and x1 games looked too ugly to enjoy. I have a 1080p OLED in my living room and I always have to buy every new xbox. So I bought x1x. Now my pc is collecting dust. The upgrade is massive. The enhanced games at 1080p look damn near 4k. Super clean and with enhanced textures and such games rival pc on ultra plus you are getting much better fps and amazing bc upgrades.

Ive played titanfall 2, halo 5, gears4, forza7, asscreed, madden, need for speed payback, killer instinct, skate 3, gears 3, mirrors edge, quantum break, star wars bf2, all at 1080p and all have blown me.away

+1 for these impressions. The difference is night in day in almost every case. Amazing work MS has done for this refresh.

That is probably also down to over excitement, as this is not the general feedback from the VAST majority of 1080p users. I saw way too many people acting like this over the PRO as well, and it was hyperbole down to over excitement at the new tech.

I think you are VASTly mistaken. Where is all of this general feedback from people who are 1080p + X1X owners? It's easily been a VASTLY better implementation over what Sony did with the Pro. Credit where credit is due, the X1X, while not a perfect system, crushes the Pro in the tech department.

If you are a 1080p X1 user upgrading to the X, the performance gap is considerable in every category.

Maybe if I was a kid getting his first ever console but I'm a grown man who's had every new piece of tech out there. I've also been a PC Gamer gaming at 4K primarily for the past 2 years so it takes a lot for console to impress me. Besides My screenshots speak for themself...

pieface

Can someone help me understand setting up Atmos on the Xbox One?

I have an Atmos sound bar, and i'm not sure it's working correctly.

In my head, what I think the Xbox should do, is output Dolby Atmos for any content that supports it, but when content doesn't support it like most games I play, revert back to Dolby Digital?

Is my understanding incorrect?

If I select Dolby Digital, EVERYTHING I watch and play is in Dolby Digital and my amp has a red icon to indicate this.

If I select Dolby Atmos, when I'm playing/watching something which is Atmos enabled, I get a different red icon on my amp showing it's playing Atmos, however everything else is just PCM.

Is that how it's supposed to work?

JP

OK, I'm going to ask here because I searched for "achievement" and I'd assume that the majority of people with an X really know what they're doing with an Xbox.

I thought I'd finish off the Fast and Furious version of Forza Horizon too even though I own the full version as there was only a couple of things left to complete it and then I'd be able to delete it permanently.

Now, I've completed all the achievement requirements, some of them a while back but I still have these showing as uncompleted.
  • 900 Horses of Detroit Muscle 40 - Acquire the Dodge Charger '70
  • 10 Second Car 40 - Acquire the Toyota Supra '98
  • Fully Charged 40 - Acquire the Dodge Charger '15
  • 9 Second Car 40 - Acquire the Bugatti Veyron
  • Too Soon Junior 30 - Use all your Nitrous in the first half of a race
I'm just wondering a known thing with the Xbox an if there's a way to sort it out? Achievements are really a thing for me as I rarely used the console until I got an X but it's annoying the hell out of me not having them showing as won.

Thanks.

Chitown B

I'm aware what virtual surround sound is, but simulated Atmos from tiny TV speakers aren't going to do much to reproduce height effects. Now some of the more expensive LG OLEDs like the W7 have a separate speaker system that would get you closer to what you want, but not on a C7.

I have a G7.

I think you are VASTly mistaken. Where is all of this general feedback from people who are 1080p + X1X owners? It's easily been a VASTLY better implementation over what Sony did with the Pro. Credit where credit is due, the X1X, while not a perfect system, crushes the Pro in the tech department.

If you are a 1080p X1 user upgrading to the X, the performance gap is considerable in every category.

But many Xbox One games weren't even running at 1080p. Some games were particularly egregious at 720p. It's easier to notice the difference. In the case of a PS4 upgraded to a PS4 Pro, going from 1080p to a supersampled 1080p image isn't the same leap as going from 720p to 1080p.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But many Xbox One games weren't even running at 1080p. Some games were particularly egregious at 720p. It's easier to notice the difference. In the case of a PS4 upgraded to a PS4 Pro, going from 1080p to a supersampled 1080p image isn't the same leap as going from 720p to 1080p.

Pretty sure that was the exception and not the norm.

Norse

And that's why as a 1080p 1X user I can tell you it's well worth it to get the 1X. Sell or trade your xbone and the cost is closer to $300, not $500.

My 1X looks amazing on my 1080p set. And the added FPS gain in games is nice as well. Way better frame rates is important too ya know.

Gideon_128

1080p tv user here. Supersampled games look great on my Pro particularly R&C and 2nd Son. But the OneX takes things to a whole 'nother level.

I don't want to make this a Pro versus xonex discussion, but I think the Xbox One X feels like a vastly superior system to the pro not only because it's more powerful, but it's more of a complete system in terms of playing 4K Blu-ray movies, enhancing backwards compatible titles, and improving core X1 games from a hardware level without any patches. Microsoft finally got it right with the One X. On the Sony front, they fell short because the upgrade from a standard PS4 that mostly outputs 1080p is not a huge jump to most of the pro games that are mostly operating a 1440p with no other further benefits

Calibos

Pretty sure that was the exception and not the norm.

And that's why as a 1080p 1X user I can tell you it's well worth it to get the 1X. Sell or trade your xbone and the cost is closer to $300, not $500.

My 1X looks amazing on my 1080p set. And the added FPS gain in games is nice as well. Way better frame rates is important too ya know.

Yes, that's definitely the point here. The upgrade is massive for X1 users in every department. Better resolution, better textures, better framerates, faster loading, all games see improvements automatically(see BF 1 res and framerate).

If you were going from PS4 to Pro on a 1080p screen, there aren't as many things to celebrate because the base was a more powerful system.

It's just a cool feeling to fire up Battlefront 2 or Gears of War or Ninja Gaiden or Fallout 3 and know that I am getting the maximum experience possible on console.

rokkerkory

I don't want to make this a Pro versus xonex discussion, but I think the Xbox One X feels like a vastly superior system to the pro not only because it's more powerful, but it's more of a complete system in terms of playing 4K Blu-ray movies, enhancing backwards compatible titles, and improving core X1 games from a hardware level without any patches. Microsoft finally got it right with the One X. On the Sony front, they fell short because the upgrade from a standard PS4 that mostly outputs 1080p is not a huge jump to most of the pro games that are mostly operating a 1440p with no other further benefits

Yeah the One was such as flawed designed system with games as a secondary focus and it showed. Super weak system and so when the X comes out it's a night and day difference.

Freeman76

Maybe if I was a kid getting his first ever console but I'm a grown man who's had every new piece of tech out there. I've also been a PC Gamer gaming at 4K primarily for the past 2 years so it takes a lot for console to impress me. Besides My screenshots speak for themself...

Thats exactly what you sound like and your experience doesnt match the vast majority of people with 1080p tvs.

NeoFaff

Totally off topic but you can't say that with a straight face when BT were advertising nothing but packages with a 20gb cap up until a few years ago.

Freeman76

+1 for these impressions. The difference is night in day in almost every case. Amazing work MS has done for this refresh.

Not vastly mistaken at all, as usual though GAF hyperbole is in full swing. Plenty of reliable sources around the web are in unison saying its not worth the money for 1080p users, especially if they own a pro.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not vastly mistaken at all, as usual though GAF hyperbole is in full swing. Plenty of reliable sources around the web are in unison saying its not worth the money for 1080p users, especially if they own a pro.

Indint understand this statement when a ton of titles don't Supersample. Why would owning a machine that doesn't benefit the consumer on a majority of titles vs one that does negate the console that does?

Thats exactly what you sound like and your experience doesnt match the vast majority of people with 1080p tvs.

Thats a compliment at this point because I feel like a kid again with how great the X1X has been. You on the other hand sound like someone with buyers remorse...

Freeman76

[/b]

Indint understand this statement when a ton of titles don't Supersample. Why would owning a machine that doesn't benefit the consumer on a majority of titles vs one that does negate the console that does?

This is why having a reasonable conversation on GAF is impossible. Where did I say it negates it? The 1x is a great bit of kit, but its not worth the money right now if you dont have the TV to get the most out of it. So much fanboy bullshit on this forum, cant even say the slightest thing that contradicts general consensus of GAF, which seems to set itself aside from the rest of the planet.

Top Bottom