• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

Guys above with issues if you can get better equipment. I use a netgear night hawk all wired gigabit network 2 Xbox one X's and tons of other systems every system runs trouble free. Buy good gear.

Hey, I only ever buy good/premium gear :D. I then proceed to use that same hardware for the next 10 years, or until it dies. I'm technically inclined so I never get frustrated with "faults" as I can diagnose them myself quickly. I will be spending a lot of cash upgrading my server and networking equipment in the first quarter of next year though which should see me through until the late 2020s.

The Netgear Nighthawk is on my short list btw. Fantastic router.

hold power button for 10secs to power off the X, then plug out the power cable for 10secs to reset power, plug the power cable back in and power on the X, see it that fixes it?

Okay that fixed the issue... That's very strange. Why would that be a solution?

Thank you for the help btw.

LOLCats

Banned
Anyone play saints row 4 re-elected on their X?

I never finished, so ive been playing snd it seems to run really well.

solis74

Hey, I only ever buy good/premium gear :D. I then proceed to use that same hardware for the next 10 years, or until it dies. I'm technically inclined so I never get frustrated with "faults" as I can diagnose them myself quickly. I will be spending a lot of cash upgrading my server and networking equipment in the first quarter of next year though which should see me through until the late 2020s.

The Netgear Nighthawk is on my short list btw. Fantastic router.

cool

OK, this console is rad. Loading up Rainbox 6 Vegas 2, all my progression (max rank) gear was still there and all my campaign completion progress (I'd finished it on the hardest difficulty lol)

Old games like Rainbox were sweet. Deep multiplayer, terrorist hunt, loads of weapons, attachments, gadgets, sick campaign that contained a shit load of levels. Man, they need to make a new one.

It's cool as fuck that each back compat game has it's own store page with pics and recordings of gameplay that the community have made. Spent an hour or so just watching old game clips on the store lol. Gonna spend a bit of money there I think!

On another note holy shit forza 7 looks fantastic. Not only that, the whole game oozes polish. Shame all that hard work was a looked over by most because "loot box controversy"

Edit: and the controller like, never goes flat! Been running on the 2 AA's that came with the system and I've not even used HALF of the power yet. Crazy, would've charged the dual shock twice by now at least.

Goddamn you're really reaching for that praise bud.

ganaconda

yeah small teams or just very little effort by the devs was put in, but the breadth of additional mods on the X help go a long way.

Could also be that they left headroom in for the graphics mods you can get on Xbox which take it up to PC level settings and upgrade the textures. Would be curious to see how it performs with some of those mods applied.

Received my replacement XBOX ONE X Project Scorpio from gamestop, so far so good..even tried Wolfenstein Collossus today to make sure the disk drive works properly, all good..I have check updates automatically is that how I can make sure to get the X Enhanced updates automatically installed because when I inserted the game I got a message about a new update(Was about 8.6gb)
Also got a new western digital 8TB external drive..should I format the drive on my PC first or just plug it in and let the XBOX ONE X do it because I know these drives come with bloatware..which port should I use, the one in the back, the side, or the front which one is the best place to plug it in

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Received my replacement XBOX ONE X Project Scorpio from gamestop, so far so good..even tried Wolfenstein Collossus today to make sure the disk drive works properly, all good..I have check updates automatically is that how I can make sure to get the X Enhanced updates automatically installed because when I inserted the game I got a message about a new update(Was about 8.6gb)
Also got a new western digital 8TB external drive..should I format the drive on my PC first or just plug it in and let the XBOX ONE X do it because I know these drives come with bloatware..which port should I use, the one in the back, the side, or the front which one is the best place to plug it in

I just plugged my external HD straight into my xbox and it sorted it out quickly ( mine is 1tb so yours will probably take longer).I also used the back usb port , so you have the front usb port free for usb stick,charger cable etc it also looks neater hidden away at the back.

I just plugged my external HD straight into my xbox and it sorted it out quickly ( mine is 1tb so yours will probably take longer).I also used the back usb port , so you have the front usb port free for usb stick,charger cable etc it also looks neater hidden away at the back.

Awesome thank U..I just figured with how these external drives come with their own software maybe it was best to have the PC format it first but will just let the XBOX ONE X do it..I have the Kinect adapter plugged into the back of the XBOX ONE X but I see another USB port there(I think there are two USB ports in the back) will put the external drive there.Can I plug in the external drive while the xbox one x is already powered on or plug it in while its off then power it off and it will recognize it once I power it on?
As far as enhanced xbox one x updates..since I have a 4K TV(KS8000) and it automatically detected it as a 4K TV and I have updates set to automatic it will install the 4K updates automatically? When I popped in Wolfenstein Collossus earlier today just to see how it works an update box popped up and it installed about an 8GB update I assumed that was the 4K update

sainraja

Did anyone's Xbox One X randomly shut down while the controller stayed connected? I was in a game of ReCore (Xbox Game Pass - I have since purchased it due to the discount) and I heard a strange noise, after which the system just shut off without any sort of warning. I didn't connect the noise to the system turning off right away as I thought it was part of the game having robots in it etc.

Seems really odd to me. I haven't had it for more than a few days so can't say I know what could have caused it.

EDIT: I should have mentioned this, as I said earlier, the controller remained connected, I did go ahead and try to turn the system back on and it was fine. I was able to navigate without having to reconnect the controller and just started up ReCore to see if it would happen again but it didn't.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Awesome thank U..I just figured with how these external drives come with their own software maybe it was best to have the PC format it first but will just let the XBOX ONE X do it..I have the Kinect adapter plugged into the back of the XBOX ONE X but I see another USB port there(I think there are two USB ports in the back) will put the external drive there.Can I plug in the external drive while the xbox one x is already powered on or plug it in while its off then power it off and it will recognize it once I power it on?
As far as enhanced xbox one x updates..since I have a 4K TV(KS8000) and it automatically detected it as a 4K TV and I have updates set to automatic it will install the 4K updates automatically? When I popped in Wolfenstein Collossus earlier today just to see how it works an update box popped up and it installed about an 8GB update I assumed that was the 4K update

You can just plug in you external while at the home screen

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/games/troubleshooting/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage

Did anyone's Xbox One X randomly shut down while the controller stayed connected? I was in a game of ReCore (Xbox Game Pass - I have since purchased it due to the discount) and I heard a strange noise, after which the system just shut off without any sort of warning. I didn't connect the noise to the system turning off right away as I thought it was part of the game having robots in it etc.

Seems really odd to me. I haven't had it for more than a few days so can't say I know what could have caused it.

EDIT: I should have mentioned this, as I said earlier, the controller remained connected, I did go ahead and try to turn the system back on and it was fine. I was able to navigate without having to reconnect the controller and just started up ReCore to see if it would happen again but it didn't.

If you left your xbox, it could be the auto turn off settings.

Zurick

Banned

Mine randomly powers off a few days ago. Though I didn't hear a sound (headset was on)

munroe

Mine did that. I didn't hear any noise though, I was booting up rise of the tomb raider and then my console just shuts down with the controller still on.

When I turned it back on it went through the whole boot up process but everything seems fine

VCALMLIKEABOMBV

Neo Member
I really think the UI is glitched and it may make us paranoid that it is the X. I have had random strange things happen with 2 xbox one x's now. The most recent one was software said your are not set to 4k do you want to change settings, I mean which of course I was already set up.
I don't think these software glitches or anything to do with the actual system. I just said yes and let it reset to 4k. I think everything will be fine, it is nothing major. The first system the controller would lose sync with system, again I think this is software glitch and not the actual X.
They will figure it out IMO.
I am just not stressing about it.

You can just plug in you external while at the home screen

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/games/troubleshooting/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage

Great thank U..I know these hard drives come with their own software but I assume that when the xbox formats the drive it deletes EVERYTHING..I have the xbox set to automatically install updates so the hard drive will turn on in the middle of the night if there is an update?

Night.Ninja

Banned
Great thank U..I know these hard drives come with their own software but I assume that when the xbox formats the drive it deletes EVERYTHING..I have the xbox set to automatically install updates so the hard drive will turn on in the middle of the night if there is an update?

Yeah

I have a question how do set game DVR to record in 4k I only see a 1080p in the capture setting do I need to have a external hard drive ?

Scorpio also contains some improvements to Xbox One's features. Game DVR now lets you capture 4K, 60 FPS, HDR gameplay, and it will also allow you to scrub through captured gameplay to find the best screenshots.
is this even possible

sainraja

I didn't leave the Xbox idle, it was while playing ReCore it happened. =[

Mine randomly powers off a few days ago. Though I didn't hear a sound (headset was on)

Mine did that. I didn't hear any noise though, I was booting up rise of the tomb raider and then my console just shuts down with the controller still on.

When I turned it back on it went through the whole boot up process but everything seems fine

It didn't happen again for you guys I take it? So far it hasn't happened again for me. I do wanna ask, the whole boot up process, was it asking you to go through the quick setup etc again?

Thanks again for the responses! Looks like I am not alone....hopefully this was a one time thing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Mine has also shut down one time. I turned it on went to the toilet while it started up and when I got back it was turned off.

Turned it on again and haven’t seen it since.

sainraja

Really hoping that it was a one time thing. I am gonna keep an eye on it and if it happens again talk to Amazon about a replacement. If the second unit also does it, then I'll just deal with Microsoft but hopefully this was just a random crash and not an indicator of something else.

MrBenchmark

Really hoping that it was a one time thing. I am gonna keep an eye on it and if it happens again talk to Amazon about a replacement. If the second unit also does it, then I'll just deal with Microsoft but hopefully this was just a random crash and not an indicator of something else.
Is it plugged into a surge protector? Possible it had an update forced?

Inuteu

quick question:

I have an Oled B6

if I leave the config on RGB it will not display HDR????

I guess the X dont have the AUTO config like PS4

sainraja

Is it plugged into a surge protector? Possible it had an update forced?

Yeah it is plugged-in to a surge protector and I have seen people discussing that the Xbox One X doesn't require one; and if that is why it shutdown like that, isn't that bad design? Why would they require us to plug-in the Xbox One separately from everything else?

Also, what do you mean when you say updated forced?

EDIT

If I recall correctly, the original Xbox One (the one with the external power supply) also had a surge protector built-in to the power supply, but that never posed a problem. I had other issues where Microsoft reps inquired about that and had me connect the system directly to an outlet but it didn't solve the main issue at the time so they just replaced it. I did connect the replacement to a surge protector and no issues.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit I am getting frustrated that several games have yet to get their patches that should have happened by now.

No Doom yet.
No Prey yet.
No Witcher 3 yet.

These need to come!

LOLCats

Banned
I played and seems realy smooth

too bad we will not have a SR5

that Agents of Mayhem game floped hard

i dont know about that. I think SR5 will happen. In fact i just received a spam from Volition letting me know that Kinzie is coming to Agents as DLC.

I wouldn't be surprised they they announce SR5 at E3 this year.

but yes i want that so bad. playing 4-re-elected, im just like damn so much fun where is SR5?!!?. Hopefully they get rid of the alien superhero stuff though.

I will say that Volition did a really good Crackdown game in SR4!

LOLCats

Banned
I have to admit I am getting frustrated that several games have yet to get their patches that should have happened by now.

No Doom yet.
No Prey yet.
No Witcher 3 yet.

These need to come!

The same.

I want Horizon 3 patch this moment in time. But ya there are several titles that im holding out for that patch.

sainraja

How is the performance of ReCore for you guys?

I have an X and I'd say the performance of RecCore is pretty poor just based on that. It stutters/jumps - might be the frame rate. What gives?

On the subject of external HDDs: my oneX was freezing at the home screen and in games, and loading really slowly last week (Injustice 2 took maybe 7 minutes between a match once), to the point that I thought about sending it back to amazon. I have a Scorpio edition so I was hoping I didn't have to.

I decided to see how the system did when I unplugged my external, just to do some troubleshooting. Everything's been fine since, and I bought a new drive to replace the (I'm assuming) faulty drive.

Just a quick note in case anyone was getting strange performance and wasn't sure whether it was the Xbox at fault or not.

Question..so I just installed the Western Digital 8TB hard drive on my XBOX ONE X..and I installed two games just to see how it goes..played a little Cuphead..and when I was done I turned OFF the XBOX ONE X..but I still see the western digital drive blinking even though the xbox one x is OFF is that normal..I know with my previous seagate drive it would blink for some time because it was searching for updates but I only have THREE games installed on this hard drive so far so what the heck is it looking for

Question..so I just installed the Western Digital 8TB hard drive on my XBOX ONE X..and I installed two games just to see how it goes..played a little Cuphead..and when I was done I turned OFF the XBOX ONE X..but I still see the western digital drive blinking even though the xbox one x is OFF is that normal..I know with my previous seagate drive it would blink for some time because it was searching for updates but I only have THREE games installed on this hard drive so far so what the heck is it looking for

I think there's a setting on the Xbox that controls whether the drive is turned off when you power the console down. Try checking that?

I think there's a setting on the Xbox that controls whether the drive is turned off when you power the console down. Try checking that?

Can you tell me where exactly..I know with my XBOX ONE S I never had to check off anything maybe the XBOX ONE X is different..and by doing this does it prevent the installation of updates or is that done automatically since I have that checked off

Can you tell me where exactly..I know with my XBOX ONE S I never had to check off anything maybe the XBOX ONE X is different..and by doing this does it prevent the installation of updates or is that done automatically since I have that checked off

XB1-Guide-PowerSettings.png

Oh well that makes sense..Thank U will turn back on the XBOX ONE X and turn that OFF..who needs the hard drive constantly blinking..but question, if I do this when there are updates to games will it still install them since the hard drive will be off? In the past the hard drive would turn itself on automatically when there were updates

My hard drive light doesn't blink so I think I have mine always on for updates. I'm not sure how that works, though. You can always trial and error?

I have several technical problems with my Xbox One X. Sometimes when I start it the menu at the top of the UI just isn't there. I have to go into an option like the my games section, back out, and it''ll appear. Worse is sometimes when I start a game I just get a black screen. I can hit the home button and back out. This actually happened within a game in Assassin's Creed Origins. I hit new game and started and got the black screen. I backed out, reset the xbox and it worked. I'd think it was a video mode issue but there's no sound, and the home button works.

Top Bottom