• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Syrus

Banned
Okay thanks,good about the tax but I thought I could bring my X1 on November 7th when I get the X1X...oh well no big deal,its just a month and I have a Pro ;)

I got 150 when i traded for the xbox S.

Im almost positive the trade in promotions willbe the same on Nov 7th

hawk2025

Is it wrong that I'm super-hyped for Lucky's Tale?

It's been such a great year for small 3D platformers (Poi, Skylar and Plux, Hob next week). Hoping it is good fun.

So, me and my girlfriend decided to get her sister and his boyfriend an Xbox One X as their Christmas gift! Managed to get the pre-order in.

I just found out that her boyfriend has never owned a game console. Ever. He's in his early 30's too. So, I think he's going to enjoy the hell out of this as his first ever game console. He has no clue about what sort of games he'd like, so I'll probably get him Xbox Game Pass and Minecraft (so they could play with us), which is more than enough when you're just starting off in my opinion.

However, I just found out that they only have a 42" 720p TV... They want to get a 4k HDR TV at some point, but they've never had a need to. I think the X is going to be fucking overkill for them, but hey, thank god it does supersampling!

HooYaH

So, me and my girlfriend decided to get her sister and his boyfriend an Xbox One X as their Christmas gift! Managed to get the pre-order in.

I just found out that her boyfriend has never owned a game console. Ever. He's in his early 30's too. So, I think he's going to enjoy the hell out of this as his first ever game console. He has no clue about what sort of games he'd like, so I'll probably get him Xbox Game Pass and Minecraft (so they could play with us), which is more than enough when you're just starting off in my opinion.

However, I just found out that they only have a 42" 720p TV... They want to get a 4k HDR TV at some point, but they've never had a need to. I think the X is going to be fucking overkill for them, but hey, thank god it does supersampling!

Think a Switch is a better gift as Nintendo games are more approachable, but that's my opinion.

That's nice of you but an S would have been more than enough. The way you describe them, they probably wouldn't know the difference.

Klocker

It can turn TV and AVR on

Its in settings

ok cool thx. i didn't bother to set it up when got my S as I didn't have an adapter for my kinect.

really pissed they didn't build in a mic array to xbox x fr voice commands. come on man. it's the 21st century

Ascenion

Can’t say I’d gift someone a top end system that’s never owned a console before. Really can’t say I’d gift someone a 4K system that lacks the means to truly enjoy it. While it is a nice gesture I think a One S or even a Wii U/Switch would be a far better choice.

its a nice gesture and great idea going with gamepass. im always down with the futureproofing.

Colbert

Banned

But if you order now you will get your Xbox One X later than 7th Nov !!

n3p00YQ.png

TDonk

Excellent choice sir.

gamz

Does anyone know how the data transfer process goes from xb1s to xb1x? Can I trade in my xb1s now or do I have to connect the boxes?

No. It'll redownload the games when you log in. The easiest way is to save all the games on a USB hard drive and just plug it in the X and start playing. That simple.

Colbert

Banned
Thank. Nice! I'll just send in my console now before the value plummets again.

if you use an external hdd you also can move your game library there to avoid to download all over again. I would wait until the new UI comes out as it features bulk copy/move of data. At the moment you have to do it for each game and its DLC on its own which is quite annoying and time intensive.

gamz

if you use an external hdd you also can move your game library there to avoid to download all over again. I would wait until the new UI comes out as it features bulk copy/move of data. At the moment you have to do it for each game and its DLC on its own which is quite annoying and time intensive.

Yup. That's what meant moving to the hdd. I keep all my games on the hdd.

ok cool thx. i didn't bother to set it up when got my S as I didn't have an adapter for my kinect.

really pissed they didn't build in a mic array to xbox x fr voice commands. come on man. it's the 21st century

I can't live without voice commands on my Xbox (well i can, im just spoiled with em! Haha). Trading in my One S soon and keeping the Kinect and adapter for the One X voice commands.

BTW GameStop has used and refurbished Kinects for only $14 (thats where i got an extra one few months back), so no need to spend the $100 price tag i still be seeing at Best Buy for Kinect (if your interested in it).

Lucifon

I mean that's an awesome nice gift from you but I'd strongly recommend rethinking it. An X is like an elite controller in console form - it's for the hardcore. The way you describe them I very much doubt they'd notice any difference between the S and the X. And without owning a games console before who knows if they'll even get into it.

Also the X being overkill on a 720p tv is an understatement - it's going to offer little benefit in most titles at that resolution.

For the same price you could grab an S and tons of games, Xbox live, ea access etc.

Can't say I'd gift someone a top end system that's never owned a console before. Really can't say I'd gift someone a 4K system that lacks the means to truly enjoy it. While it is a nice gesture I think a One S or even a Wii U/Switch would be a far better choice.

His girlfriend used to play a ton on Xbox years ago (when she was with her ex-boyfriend). She's used to it, and enjoys playing games so this isn't her first console at all. For example, she's all over AC: Origins this year and is really excited for it. In addition, we want to be able to play multiplayer games together (big one being the Borderlands games which she's been addicted to in the past). It's only the boyfriend which has never played games before. I love the Switch, and Nintendo definitely has the most approachable games, but in this case it's only the Xbox which makes sense for the situation.

I thought about the S, but to me it came down to the fact that this is a joint present from me and my girlfriend to both of them (so we can split the added cost), and I want to future proof them for when they do upgrade their TV. They're way more likely to upgrade their TV before the next consoles come out, and they're also very unlikely to jump into a new generation/console early, so if they're going to have a single console for the next 5 or 6 years or whatever, the X made more sense to me.

Plus, even if we got the S to get more money for games, the boyfriend literally has no clue on what he likes so buying individual games is hard until he knows what genres he's even interested in. The only specific game the girlfriend is interested in is AC: Origins (and Borderlands, but she already has that on her account). That's why Gamepass just makes sense since it has a ton of variety, and it's not that expensive.

Go big or go home!

just plain on a table? everyone can take it home, lol

Considering the light isn't on, I'd imagine the one on the table is a dummy unit. The real unit is probably under lock and key beneath the table cloth.

I did. I wasn't blown away by it, it looked more of a half step than anything and it's nothing I haven't seen with the PS4 pro already. I'm still contemplating on keeping my preorder but man, after playing, 499 is steep for that system.

Well that’s a little discouraging. What did you play and for how long?

Well that’s a little discouraging. What did you play and for how long?

I played Forza for about 30-45 mins (on and off so not to hold anyone up lol).

I mean, it literally is a half step.

Well yeah, but for it being branded the most powerful console, I guess I expected more.

As a side note, the lady did tell me that there was no HDR on the TV, so obviously it's not playing at it's full potential.

Top Bottom