• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Does anyone expect this to be supply constrained? I don't need one straight away as want one for my time off over Christmas. I'm hoping I can get one easily enough in late December.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
These bumps keep getting my hopes up. Hope these will be as easy to get as PS4 pro and Xbox one s

Midas

Does anyone expect this to be supply constrained? I don't need one straight away as want one for my time off over Christmas. I'm hoping I can get one easily enough in late December.

It depends on where you are. Maybe in the US, but elsewhere? No.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I certainly do.

It depends on where you are. Maybe in the US, but elsewhere? No.

Yea, I'm not really sure how to judge it. The last console that was difficult to get in Ireland was the original PS4. Even the Switch stock isn't that bad AFAIK. The Xbox is not at all popular here (been a PS stronghold since the PS1), so I'll probably be alright. That price should put some people off.

I think it depends on where you live (even inside the US) but the 500 price tag will, certainly scare some people off at launch. But I believe once it's out in the wild and reports come out, IF they are good people will gobble these things up.

Colbert

Banned
Everyone.

Chill out with the console wars nonsense and worrying about who is stepping on whose toes. Reasonable discourse is allowed, but this is generally a thread about news of pre-ordering the Xbox One X.

Comparisons between hardware power probably can find a different home, but reasonable discourse is fine.

Consider this a warning shot about behaving in this thread moving forward.

This goes to both "sides" of whatever is going on in here.
Thank you!

Jrs3000

I think so if they underestimate demand. It could happen just like with the elite controller.

I don't see constraints. They don't really have a killer app. If this was launching with Halo 6 I would worry. Pretty light year for Xbox One exclusives. Crackdown is the big one but I am worried based on what I've seen so far.

Head.spawn

I still firmly believe Crackdown 3 and/or Lucky's Tale will come free with all One X pre-orders.

Both those games are being sent to die and people are still very uneasy about $499.

By giving those 2 games away with the console until Dec 31, it makes $499 far more palatable and allows those games to reach larger numbers given bundled sales are included in LTD figures.

As long as they're digital copies, I'd be excited.

Markitron

I don't see constraints. They don't really have a killer app. If this was launching with Halo 6 I would worry. Pretty light year for Xbox One exclusives. Crackdown is the big one but I am worried based on what I've seen so far.

I'm not overly familiar with the series, so maybe the fans see something that I don't, but Crackdown 3 doesn't look particularly great IMO.

It looks like a very generic open-world game.

Dabanton

Hopefully you should.

But after the Switch. I'm taking no chances whatsoever. This is a new powerful console and we all know how the hype grabs people the closer these machines come to release day.

The idea of running round different stores on launch day because I failed to pre order is much too stressful. Ditto to having to park my butt on Amazon or Best Buy to see when they get new stock in.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I expect GameStop to be supply constrained because many of us have large gift cards since the GameStop trade snafoo a few weeks back.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I expect GameStop to be supply constrained because many of us have large gift cards since the GameStop trade shadow a few weeks back.

This and I don't know how many they will have in the first wave of shipments. At $500, this price point is higher than a lot of customers are willing to pay for one thing. A second reason would be that they are producing and selling plenty of XBOX One S at the moment. The potential customer base is lessened by this. Another detractor is that it is marketed as a 4K box which means if you are a customer without a 4K set, you may not buy in. MS may wish to keep initial potential loss limited by producing fewer units to see how they sell before releasing a new batch. Companies don't want to be stuck with a stock surplus just sitting on the shelves.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As long as they're digital copies, I'd be excited.

Of course they'd be digital.

IT can't be a coincidence that you STILL can't digitally pre-order Crackdown 3 and Super Lucky's Tale.

It makes sense. They want people to pre-order the console and they wouldn't want to give a tonne of refunds to people who pre-order those games digitally not knowing they'd be free with a console they were going to buy anyway.

Been a poor year imo, this years E3 really brought it home to me but I have no doubt X will have a decent launch and to be fair MS themselves have said they expect to sell more S models.

Lady Gaia

Almost every high tech product is supply constrained at launch unless it has been stockpiled in advance, which rarely makes economic sense. The real question is how fast supply will catch up with demand. That's much harder to predict and speaks to sustained interest, ability to ramp up manufacturing, and supplier confidence in committing to a production ramp in advance.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Of course they'd be digital.

IT can't be a coincidence that you STILL can't digitally pre-order Crackdown 3 and Super Lucky's Tale.

It makes sense. They want people to pre-order the console and they wouldn't want to give a tonne of refunds to people who pre-order those games digitally not knowing they'd be free with a console they were going to buy anyway.
Refunds on preorders are effortless, though, they don’t even charge you yet.

Question. Are they allowed to start production if the device hasn't been approved by the FCC yet?

I'm guessing not, or that they wouldn't because that would be a risky move if it failed cert for whatever reason and needed to be altered.

Does anyone know how long it generally takes to manufacture a single console unit including packaging? How many consoles can typically be made per day?

EDIT: Rewrote because I butchered it.

kevin1025

Banned
Question. Are they allowed to start production if the device hasn't been approved by the FCC yet?

I'm guessing not, or that they wouldn't because that would be a risky move if it failed cert for whatever reason and needed to be altered.

Does anyone know how long it generally takes to make x amount of units for devices like these? Like per day I guess.

That's a good question. I definitely don't know for certain, but I imagine it would need full approval before mass production. They mentioned during E3 (Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg) that they had test versions at home, so I guess it would only apply to consumer versions.

So now that it's been fully approved, it is all up to when they have their preorder plans start!

Darklor01

Does anyone know how long it generally takes to make x amount of units for devices like these? Like per day I guess.

https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/laboratory-division/general/equipment-authorization

On the question about whether them can produce without approval. If I read the page properly, production would follow approval, but I don't actually know.

That's a good question. I definitely don't know for certain, but I imagine it would need full approval before mass production. They mentioned during E3 (Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg) that they had test versions at home, so I guess it would only apply to consumer versions.

So now that it's been fully approved, it is all up to when they have their preorder plans start!

Oh snap, I didn't know it had been fully approved! How did I miss this? Was there a thread?

amdb00mer

Not sure what it is worth, but not too long after Phil's tweet I noticed Best Buy no longer has the option to be notified. Maybe pre-orders really are around the corner and they already have so many customers waiting to be notified. Then again could just be a damn coincidence.

Darklor01

Not sure what it is worth, but not too long after Phil's tweet I noticed Best Buy no longer has the option to be notified. Maybe pre-orders really are around the corner and they already have so many customers waiting to be notified. Then again could just be a damn coincidence.

Odd. The page does still list that it hasn't been approved by the FCC, but, so does the old page on MS' site. But, yes, there is no more notify me.

I've been holding off on saying this, but I feel like Friday is the day they'll say something, if not, early next week.

dEvAnGeL

How and why do you announce a console not yet approved to be sold? Is thise a common practice? It is the first time i hear about it.

Not sure on a thread, but here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/889343117156950017

"Our plan is set for this. All approvals are done so now just landing the announce with all the info, won't be too much longer."

xaGSLJY.gif

big_z

How and why do you announce a console not yet approved to be sold? Is thise a common practice? It is the first time i hear about it.

Happened with the PS4 pro as well. E3 is a big event and that was the original plan to show the X. Sometimes FCC is slow to approve so timing doesnt line up. Even iPhones don't go up for preorder when they're announced.

No reason to panic though. There will still be plenty of time between preorders and launch.

Not sure on a thread, but here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/889343117156950017

"Our plan is set for this. All approvals are done so now just landing the announce with all the info, won't be too much longer."

A price adjustment would be amazing but i really hope they announce and aggressive trade up program... and Phil please do a Doritos giveaway like you did with the original Xbox one. Xbox one x + forza 7 + Doritos = 😋

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I have a feeling we are going to see them push the release date up a few weeks when they announce the preorders are live. Getting out a couple weeks ahead of COD and a few other titles could be HUGE system selling time for this console. I am all in on the preorder as soon as it goes live.

kevin1025

Banned
If there is a pack-in, I kind of hope it's Super Lucky's Tale. Family friendly, fun, and plus people need more platformers in their life!

(Plus I selfishly want it to be included, haha.)

TLZ

Banned
This is a $499 console that isn't new gen. People won't be flocking to get one. There should be plenty for everyone.

This is a $499 console that isn't new gen. People won't be flocking to get one. There should be plenty for everyone.

Hahahahahahahahah where do people logically come up with this. Did you also say:

"it's a mini NES, people won't be flocking to get one"
"$300 handheld that plays ports, no one will want one"

It's new. It's shiny and it's powerful. People want it. It will sell out.

mr stroke

Hahahahahahahahah where do people logically come up with this. Did you also say:

"it's a mini NES, people won't be flocking to get one"
"$300 handheld that plays ports, no one will want one"

It's new. It's shiny and it's powerful. People want it. It will sell out.

Many people were able to walk into a store and buy a PS4 Pro on day 1(even Amazon had plenty to go around)

Yup. X1X won't sell out but it will give something MS and Xbox have been lacking since 2013. Xbox will finally have the strongest hardware. That alone is important for the brand and for customers looking to buy a new system. Don't underestimate the talk around people.
I don't think X1X will sell bad. But it's targeting a fairly small audience who are craving 4k,uhd etc. It's gonna sell decent. But it will boost up the Xbox brand really nice.

Xbox as a brand has changed since 2013, we all know who to blame, but it's getting better thanks to Phil Spencer and his devoted crew. X1X is a product I've been waiting for some time.

You think they may pull a Nintendo by purposefully producing very low amount to generate artificial scarcity? At least I think that's what Nintendo do. There's no way a multi billion dollar company can't meet market demand.

spannicus

You think they may pull a Nintendo by purposefully producing very low amount to generate artificial scarcity? At least I think that's what Nintendo do. There's no way a multi billion dollar company can't meet market demand.
nahh not even. nintendo is on some other shit.

big_z

Around my area (in Canada) it was pretty difficult until closer to Christmas. But in certain areas the One X definitely shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'm also in Canada and pro was easy to find. The only places it sold out were the busiest shopping centres, travel a couple minutes away and you could usually find a store with stock.

I think the problem was the price being too high(Canadian dollar was very weak) and no bundle deals while the slim had a lot more value going for it. Microsoft is going to face the same situation this holiday. $499 for a console vs $250 for a console with 2-4 games. It's why I'm eager to see the full details for the X. Can Microsoft improve on sonys misteps, who knows.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm also in Canada and pro was easy to find. The only places it sold out were the busiest shopping centres, travel a couple minutes away and you could usually find a store with stock.

I think the problem was the price being too high(Canadian dollar was very weak) and no bundle deals while the slim had a lot more value going for it. Microsoft is going to face the same situation this holiday. $499 for a console vs $250 for a console with 2-4 games. It's why I'm eager to see the full details for the X. Can Microsoft improve on sonys misteps, who knows.

It was mostly the big stores I was looking in, and in the more suburban area of the city, so maybe it was just my area. It was an EB Games that ended up finally having one.

The price for the X here will be a tough sell and maybe make it easier to find. It will have a harder time in Canada, but the exchange rate actually is way better than originally thought, so it's a good deal at least!

draliko

It will matter only in the USA, the rest of the world doesn't care anymore... Anecdotally here in Italy I see only the few that have got already a Xbox talking about the 1x, the other don't simply care, they have already a PS4 that will cover them until PS5...
The brand is also weaker those years, long are gone the 360 days where it was getting a really nice traction.

Top Bottom