• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

cucuchu

wouldnt gamestop or any store have promotional material if preorders were going live? Or would they really put it up without anything

Not always. I seem to remember PS4Pro and Switch preorders just kind of went live (following their respective pressers/announcements though), and the in-store promotional material went up a few days or week later. Maybe someone that works at one of the retailers can clairfy with better info.

Pantz

To anyone who has pre-ordered a console through Best Buy recently, the Switch perhaps...

Do they treat the pre-order the same way they do with games? As in, would they charge the initial $500 and then after a week or so it reverts the funds back?

TURBO1112

I need a phone buddy lol . I work late nights and sleep til noon usually. Preorders will go live early morning I bet. Anybody want to call me and wake me if pre orders go live haha

MilkyJoe

This is starting to feel like a massive fuck up on MS part.

They built maximum Xbox One X hype around E3 and we're now pushing closer to 60 days later without capitalizing on that momentum by locking in dollars towards their product.

They need to at least come out with a date that pre-orders go live so they can rebuild marketing momentum. Just dumping it out there one day randomly, even if it doesn't hurt sales, is going to be a real miss on building hype towards release.

There are 99 days until release. That's almost 1/3 or a year, nothing is fucked, you're being very undude...

To anyone who has pre-ordered a console through Best Buy recently, the Switch perhaps...

Do they treat the pre-order the same way they do with games? As in, would they charge the initial $500 and then after a week or so it reverts the funds back?

If you're ordering online it'll always be like that. They pre-auth your card to make sure you have the money. I always use credit cards for Best Buy because of that. If you do it in-store they'll just ask for $50-$100 down

E92 M3

If you're ordering online it'll always be like that. They pre-auth your card to make sure you have the money. I always use credit cards for Best Buy because of that. If you do it in-store they'll just ask for $50-$100 down

Except for Amazon - they only charge right before shipping.

Not always. I seem to remember PS4Pro and Switch preorders just kind of went live (following their respective pressers/announcements though), and the in-store promotional material went up a few days or week later. Maybe someone that works at one of the retailers can clairfy with better info.

This is how it happened.

In fact, EB in Canada had the PS4 Pro available online about an hour after the conference. I was in England and able to preorder a unit at a story near my apartment through their website.

I think they've stopped letting you do in store orders for stuff like this though. We shall see.

If preorders are ready to go they won't wait that long. They'll go live as early as they can.

Yeah. You can still start preorders now and push a preorder campaign come Gamescom to boost sales.

If pre-orders do start today, we're less than 2 hours from finding out. Gamestop needs stuff like that in their system before the start of the business day at 10 AM EDT.

Except for Amazon - they only charge right before shipping.

Oh gosh yeah. I should clarify that I was only referring to ordering online from Best Buy. I always use Amazon as a backup because they don't charge or pre-auth until it ships.

Rosur2a

I'm still 50 50 on preordering mostly as don't use my S enough so doubt will use this much but do have a 4k TV so more 4k stuff is good and want more 4k stuff.

I'm still 50 50 on preordering mostly as don't use my S enough so doubt will use this much but do have a 4k TV so more 4k stuff is good and want more 4k stuff.

The expectation is that I will be using X more than S simply due to it have the best 3rd party ports.

At least I hope so.

If pre-orders do start today, we're less than 2 hours from finding out. Gamestop needs stuff like that in their system before the start of the business day at 10 AM EDT.

They can get updates throughout the day. I have been told stuff is not in their system and then later in the day it's updated.

cucuchu

They can get updates throughout the day. I have been told stuff is not in their system and then later in the day it's updated.

They can. I know PS4 Pro preorders went live at a gamestop near me at least an hour after the presser in the middle of the day.

Oh damn, I did not know that! I had a friend who worked at Gamestop a while back and he always said that was the case. That was a few years ago though. At least I know for the future. Thanks!

On a different note, I'm feeling the potential hype for pre-orders going live today. Please Microsoft. Let me put money down so I don't have to think about this anymore.

whelp, guess im watching this page and bestbuys page like a hawk today.

I kinda hope they do a bundle like, buy a one x and a participating 4k hdr tv and get --$ off the tv

whelp, guess im watching this page and bestbuys page like a hawk today.

I kinda hope they do a bundle like, buy a one x and a participating 4k hdr tv and get --$ off the tv

I have no doubt that you'll see bundles like that, but there's about a zero percent chance that it would be something you pre-order. That's a situation where a store like Best Buy will offer the promotion after the console is on the market.

Surely if they were going to announce that preorders were open then some of the top Xbox brass would have been dropping hints on Twitter at least? I still think its going to be Gamescom.

EvB

Surely if they were going to announce that preorders were open then some of the top Xbox brass would have been dropping hints on Twitter at least? I still think its going to be Gamescom.

Didn't Spencer say that they would talk more about the available SKUs at Gamescom?

That always appeared to me as being the point at which retailers woud be able to open preorders, when they know what models there are and what allocation of units they have

cucuchu

There is no conference at Gamescom though, and a week or so ago Phil Spencer did hint at "soon". I am quite skeptical given that our latest source is Crapgamer but I sure will not complain if he is right. They also just released info on the Taco Bell giveaways so maybe....

Didn't Spencer say that they would talk more about the available SKUs at Gamescom?

That always appeared to me as being the point at which retailers woud be able to open preorders, when they know what models there are and what allocation of units they have

I don't recall Phil saying anything about available Xbox One X SKU's outside of the default one for $499. Have a source on that one?

I swear they randomly charge the card from time to time to verify the funds.

I don't recall Phil saying anything about available Xbox One X SKU's outside of the default one for $499. Have a source on that one?

I think the most that I have heard being said is that there will be a surprise for preorders. I'm not sure what the direct source is on that.

I swear they randomly charge the card from time to time to verify the funds.

every 30 days - once per month they place a temporary charge on the card to verify you have the funds, then pull the temp charge a day later. if you dont have enough funds in the account it might reject your preorder, or you have to put a different card in.

you aren't charged until the day of i believe.

Comet

Man, I love the look of my white Xbox One S, and am getting the white Destiny 2 PS4 Pro to go with it. I wish there was a white Xbox One X too :p

j0hnnix

I haven't read past this page but what is leading us to believe pre-orders will occur today or sometime this week?

I think the most that I have heard being said is that there will be a surprise for preorders. I'm not sure what the direct source is on that.

I think I remember something along the lines of them having "something special" planned. I'd be all for a free game for day-one buyers! Mainly because I just don't see them offering SKU's that go past that base price. $499 is just pushing the limits of acceptable based on the tech involved. If they get closer to $599 the optics won't be good, regardless of what they include.

cucuchu

I am wondering if that video Major Nelson was hinting at will drop today and be the precursor to preorders going live later.

flkraven

If they are really working TV bundles, then what does gamestop/eb get? There is no way that they would be happy being left out of the bundle bandwagon, so MS would probably work a bundle for them to keep them happy, no?

I am wondering if that video Major Nelson was hinting at will drop today and be the precursor to preorders going live later.

I could absolutely see that happening. Both Major and Phil have now retweeted that Taco Bell contest thing and it's 6:30 AM in Seattle. Major sent that out at 5:30 AM!

If they are really working TV bundles, then what does gamestop/eb get? There is no way that they would be happy being left out of the bundle bandwagon, so MS would probably work a bundle for them to keep them happy, no?

Those TV bundles aren't normally something you'd pre-order, so Gamestop/EB don't need to be included.

Really? So the reports about how that's the reason why it's being delay are bs?

I just want my Scorpioooooooooooooooooo!

I never saw those reports, but it seems silly to think that would have held them back. The most likely explanation for the delay is the lack of FCC approval in relation to their marketing plans. They definitely have some major marketing campaigns planned and that's not something they can just flip a switch for.

I can definitely see pre-orders after the announcement at E3 having been their plan A, with pre-orders starting this month as their plan B.

I'm really pumped to get my order in as well though! My favorite Gamestop is kind of small so I'll need a pre-order to guarantee that I can get a unit from them without fuss. I've got my purchase planned out already and just need them to take my money!

Edit:

I'm not sure this is evidence that they'll do this for Xbox, but I found this article interesting. Microsoft is back in the interest-free financing game for Surface, so I don't think it'd be too far-fetched for them to offer the same for Xbox One X via their official stores. That program goes live at noon EST today so I guess time will tell?

pitchfork

Yeah, Reddit has picked up on this now (same rumour)

guess if it is true it'll be just over an hour before being announced right?

Top Bottom