• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

monox1xvtbow.jpg

This is absolutely perfect. wow.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is starting to feel like a massive fuck up on MS part.

They built maximum Xbox One X hype around E3 and we're now pushing closer to 60 days later without capitalizing on that momentum by locking in dollars towards their product.

They need to at least come out with a date that pre-orders go live so they can rebuild marketing momentum. Just dumping it out there one day randomly, even if it doesn't hurt sales, is going to be a real miss on building hype towards release.

So are both the Xbox One X and SNES Classic Mini pre-orders delayed because of the FCC? It certainly isn't Microsoft or Nintendo's first trip to the rodeo. Are approvals taking considerably longer than historical precedent? I'd assume that both assumed the approval process would be much shorter based one when they started messaging about these products. If so, are similar delays pervading the rest of the electronics industry outside of games? TVs, tablets, etc dragging through approval?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So are both the Xbox One X and SNES Classic Mini pre-orders delayed because of the FCC? It certainly isn't Microsoft or Nintendo's first trip to the rodeo. Are approvals taking considerably longer than historical precedent? I'd assume that both assumed the approval process would be much shorter based one when they started messaging about these products. If so, are similar delays pervading the rest of the electronics industry outside of games? TVs, tablets, etc dragging through approval?

Phil Spencer stated that for the XBOX One X, the FCC part is done. For Nintendo, the FCC thing was a rumor. For the XBOX One X, we are waiting for them to tell us something other than preorders coming soon.

They built maximum Xbox One X hype around E3 and we're now pushing closer to 60 days later without capitalizing on that momentum by locking in dollars towards their product.

They need to at least come out with a date that pre-orders go live so they can rebuild marketing momentum. Just dumping it out there one day randomly, even if it doesn't hurt sales, is going to be a real miss on building hype towards release.

I do agree with this. I'm starting to wonder if they are going to have some sort of event preceding opening pre orders or something.

What is the next big public marketing opportunity?

Frostman

This is exactly what I think their current problem is. They didn't use E3 to their advantage as you said.

I think that they are banking on Gamescom picking up major interest or 'hype' for them again. Which might workout okay, if they show off more demos across the board. But I still feel that they should of had the pre-orders prepared to open straight after their E3 presentation.

LowSignal

I know that this is unlikely but I was hoping the preorder delay would be caused by the surprise inclusion of a AAA game, a elite controller or a price drop. I will get one either way.

Frostman

Didn't Phil even recently tweet that all was going well and that there would be news soon, or something along those lines? I see no reason to worry.

I don't think anyone's worrying. I just think people wonder why MS didn't prep, to take full advantage of E3. Which is when news on the Xbox One X was everywhere, and interest was arguably at its peak.

Colbert

Banned

The FCC is done but the internal paperwork takes time also. Internal documentation, Sales plan, Marketing materials, contracts for special pre-order deals, and the list goes on and on. I was involved in announcements/market availability programs for IT services and products, that shit can be made as complex as you want depending the company you are working for. Experienced some MS processes I can safely say it is time consuming to align all the necessary business units/departments!

Pre-order start was always projected for August as I mentioned several times!

cackhyena

The FCC is done but the internal paperwork takes time also. Internal documentation, Sales plan, Marketing materials, contracts for special pre-order deals, and the list goes on and on. I was involved in announcements/market availability programs for IT services and products, that shit can be made as complex as you want depending the company you are working for. Experienced some MS processes I can safely say it is time consuming to align all the necessary business units/departments!

Just gimme yummy game machine

Didn't Phil even recently tweet that all was going well and that there would be news soon, or something along those lines? I see no reason to worry.

That's not the point though. I mean, that's great that he thinks everything is going well but what Stooge was pointing at was the marketing momentum from E3. Since it wasn't available to pre-order right then it was a missed opportunity because of all of the positive buzz. Every day that pre-orders are unavailable to the public is a day that other things can take the place of the Xbox buzz in their heads and be put to the back of their minds and made not so much of a priority.

This obviously isn't as true for those in the community that are in the know and have already made their minds up. Rather for the masses of onlookers who may have been exposed to the X for the first time or people who where on the fence that may have been swooned by what they saw at the time.

This is why I said that I'm beginning to think that MS might have some sort of event preceding this or some sort of huge marketing push. I think they need to now that we are so far from E3 in order to reinvigorate the momentum that they had.

I don't think anyone's worrying. I just think people wonder why MS didn't prep, to take full advantage of E3. Which is when news on the Xbox One X was everywhere, and interest was arguably at its peak.

That's not the point though. I mean, that's great that he thinks everything is going well but what Stooge was pointing at was the marketing momentum from E3. Since it wasn't available to pre-order right then it was a missed opportunity because of all of the positive buzz. Every day that pre-orders are unavailable to the public is a day that other things can take the place of the Xbox buzz in their heads and be put to the back of their minds and made not so much of a priority.

This obviously isn't as true for those in the community that are in the know and have already made their minds up. Rather for the masses of onlookers who may have been exposed to the X for the first time or people who where on the fence that may have been swooned by what they saw at the time.

This is why I said that I'm beginning to think that MS might have some sort of event preceding this or some sort of huge marketing push. I think they need to now that we are so far from E3 in order to reinvigorate the momentum that they had.

That i can agree with.

But i think MS expects, probably knows that only a certain group of gamers will buy it anyway. And besides, GC is coming. Hopefully it will be then.

cucuchu

Do you think Gamescom can regenerate that momentum of interest? I have friends that are not really big into gaming anymore but still know what E3 is and generally follow the bigger announcements, but they don't even have a passing knowledge about Gamescom.

Maybe they are wanting to just push the XBOX out there with moderate hype and then let the public do the marketting for them when people talk about their experiences with it. With that being said, I'm sure if they were to announce tonight that preorders begin tomorrow, a surge of hype will hit and they will have plenty of preorders....so yeah, just DO IT Microsoft, take my money!! I'm so fet up with the Nintendo SNES classic situation with the walmart preorders...I hope Microsoft does this right.

Yeah, I think your right. That's how I see it anyway.

Before E3 he even said it that he fully expects the majority of gamers to buy the S and only a few people will get the Scorpio/X.

But announcing and opening up the preorders right during E3 would have been neato though. As long as everything is alright I'm good, really looking forward to November more and more, especially now that I have my 4K OLED.

Frostman

Do you think Gamescom can regenerate that momentum of interest? I have friends that are not really big into gaming anymore but still know what E3 is and generally follow the bigger announcements, but they don't even have a passing knowledge about Gamescom.

Maybe they are wanting to just push the XBOX out there with moderate hype and then let the public do the marketting for them when people talk about their experiences with it. With that being said, I'm sure if they were to announce tonight that preorders begin tomorrow, a surge of hype will hit and they will have plenty of preorders....so yeah, just DO IT Microsoft, take my money!! I'm so fet up with the Nintendo SNES classic situation with the walmart preorders...I hope Microsoft does this right.

I don't think Gamescom itself will pick up the momentum again, but the surge of media being published by outlets and many YouTube uploads by places such as Digital Foundry would. They have a much further reach.

Fukuzatsu

I'm just thinking, who is this console even going to be for outside of the people who already own Xbox Ones? Like I would imagine if one found the 360+X1 library all that compelling, they would have bought one already, and the only benefit this will add is better performance for games.

Their upcoming lineup is also pretty lackluster--Forza, Crackdown 3, Cuphead, State of Decay. Likely to be decent games, but that's hardly enough to improve their standing when their presence in Japan fell from meager to essentially zero since last generation, and they aren't super popular in Europe. I just don't see it.

Dlacy13g

I think the delay was as much about FCC approval as it was about lining up some 4K TV Bundle deal partners for the launch. I think MS want's to be able to reach those people saying " But I don't have a 4k TV yet". Phil said they were going to be some bundles with TV being offered, so I am guessing they wanted to have those available for some kind of preorder as well. Wouldn't be shocked if one of those partners was TCL given MS has been signing their praises lately. https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/15815602/tcl-roku-tv-4k-series-review-best-budget-tv

borges

Banned

Gamescom.

RoKKeR

Have they announced a plan for Gamescom yet? A conference or something? As others have said, feels like they need to get the hype machine rolling again, it has really stalled out this summer.

cucuchu

Have they announced a plan for Gamescom yet? A conference or something? As others have said, feels like they need to get the hype machine rolling again, it has really stalled out this summer.

All I have seen reported is Microsoft is planning a live event for August 20th. That is the day before a Monday so maybe it will be announced there and then boom, "preorders available tomorrow"....or at least on Amazon and online retailers right after the announcement I am hoping.

ViciousDS

Banned

Yup, the hype around preordering the PS4 and Xbox one the night of E3 was amazing. The hype, people preordering, massive talk of the hardware.

For the X there literally hasn't been that much at all after E3. In fact the hype is pretty much gone outside those of us hardcore wanting it here.

No conference, i'm sure they would have announced that by now. I do wonder if we're gonna see new footage of upcoming games and with that i mostly mean finally some Crackdown 3 MP.

cucuchu

No conference, i'm sure they would have announced that by now. I do wonder if we're gonna see new footage of upcoming games and with that i mostly mean finally some Crackdown 3 MP.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/07/13/xbox-gamescom-2017/

"Xbox @ gamescom Live
Tune in on Sunday, August 20, at 9:00pm CEST, 12:00pm PDT to a special Xbox @ gamescom live show to get latest news and announcements on Xbox One X.

The show will be hosted by Graeme Boyd (aka @AceyBongos) and Xbox Germany's Maxi Graeff (@GMaxee). They'll have news to share, games to show off, will sit down to talk with developers from fan favorite studios and play some of the year's hottest games yet to be released. There will even be a few surprises and giveaways along the way, so be sure to tune in on mixer.com or watch via the Mixer app.

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/2017/07/13/xbox-gamescom-2017/#12vxXRacoL5JZODx.99"

Looks like they are planning something from what I have read. I'm not sure if that entails a conference or not.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well, if they wait that long, it basically means they will only have shortly over two months from preorder to launch. I guess that's long enough, but man, I'm not sure seen a shorter length of time from start to finish on preorders.

kevin1025

Banned
https://news.xbox.com/2017/07/13/xbox-gamescom-2017/

"Xbox @ gamescom Live
Tune in on Sunday, August 20, at 9:00pm CEST, 12:00pm PDT to a special Xbox @ gamescom live show to get latest news and announcements on Xbox One X.

The show will be hosted by Graeme Boyd (aka @AceyBongos) and Xbox Germany's Maxi Graeff (@GMaxee). They'll have news to share, games to show off, will sit down to talk with developers from fan favorite studios and play some of the year's hottest games yet to be released. There will even be a few surprises and giveaways along the way, so be sure to tune in on mixer.com or watch via the Mixer app.

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/2017/07/13/xbox-gamescom-2017/#12vxXRacoL5JZODx.99"

Looks like they are planning something from what I have read. I'm not sure if that entails a conference or not.

I definitely could be wrong, but I'm reading that as something like their Xbox Daily shows they had during E3. Likely not a conference, if it's a sit-down and demonstration/interview type deal.

Which, to me, doesn't sound like the kind of thing they would wait on for pre-orders. I think we'll get a press release and a bunch of news one day (random guess: next week), and then the pre-orders will unlock a few hours later.

Plus Major Nelson kind of hinted at something he can't talk about yet, which could be an announcement video:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/890963324246007809

"Hanging out in the green room getting ready to shoot a video. Can't tell you what it's about..yet – at Microsoft Production Studios"

cucuchu

I definitely could be wrong, but I'm reading that as something like their Xbox Daily shows they had during E3. Likely not a conference, if it's a sit-down and demonstration/interview type deal.

Which, to me, doesn't sound like the kind of thing they would wait on for pre-orders. I think we'll get a press release and a bunch of news one day (random guess: next week), and then the pre-orders will unlock a few hours later.

Plus Major Nelson kind of hinted at something he can't talk about yet, which could be an announcement video:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/890963324246007809

"Hanging out in the green room getting ready to shoot a video. Can't tell you what it's about..yet – at Microsoft Production Studios"

I'm thinking the same thing when it comes to Gamescom. I was just curious of what everyone else thought. It seems like a missed opportunity with no presser BUT all the same I am hopeful we get that announcement video soon (this week I hope...). I'll be taking my family to Disney World next week and don't want to have to be checking my phone every hour to see if preorders are up = /

Yeah I agree. The hype has really gone down online, August is an empty month for releases (exclusives), and we're only 8 weeks away from the Christmas shopping season. Unless they're planning on unveiling some crazy good upgrade trade in promo to (re)build hype, I don't see how this thing even manages 250K units over the next quarter.

cucuchu

Thank you dancrane212 and Anarckhy!

Good stuff. I'll be at work until 4am but I'll be up at 8 to rush to Gamestop to preorder if this happens. Hope the source of that tweet is somewhat reliable.

Top Bottom