• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

just placed a second order to gamestop. I know you guys will hate me, but that one is getting flipped.

What sort of profit do you expect after any shipping/fees for the onward sale? Any idea what they are actually selling for on ebay atm?

Can't be bothered to look myself but I presume you have investigated before plunging in.

cucuchu

What sort of profit do you expect after any shipping/fees for the onward sale? Any idea what they are actually selling for on ebay atm?

Can't be bothered to look myself but I presume you have investigated before plunging in.

Just a quick glance at Ebay and I'm seeing people selling their preorders for the Scorpio edition for anywhere from around $680 to $1400. It will be interesting to see how many of them actually sell. I'm sure there are a few people that will bite.

Just a quick glance at Ebay and I'm seeing people selling their preorders for the Scorpio edition for anywhere from around $680 to $1400. It will be interesting to see how many of them actually sell. I'm sure there are a few people that will bite.

Yeah. I'm not selling mine but always interested to see what they go for when they actually sell.

I do have an extra SNES Mini on order though.....

I made a killing on a Batman play set a couple of years ago. Bought for £35 with discounts for multi-buy and sold for £90 - £100 the week before Christmas.

Ushay

Can anyone think of any good reasons why I need one of these when I have a killer gaming PC? For some reason, I really want one but I am struggling to justify it.

Other than the UHD Blu-ray playback (which I could get for ~$100 with a player), I am coming up short.

I guess the below pretty much answers it well enough

If these apply to you:
1) You like the brand and want to support it.
2) You like collectors editions and the Scorpio Edition appeals to you.
3) You feel you want the latest and most powerful versions of your consoles (PS4 Pro and/or XBOX One X).
4) You like the services/offerings on the XBOX platform.
5) You like the Backwards Compatibility feature.
6) You can take the system anywhere you like easier than a gaming PC.
7) Other reasons.

I'd also add
- HDR
- Controller/Couch gameplay
- More robust online capability

It's ultimately your money, and if it brings you enjoyment, why not?

Colbert

Banned
Okay, so we need to know if the Scorpio is SATA3 then, no?

Just to give you an update: Xbox One X hdd interface is still SATA 2 !!!

Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-07.png

Ok, I finally snapped and got one (Scorpio Edition).

Anyone know what would be a good asking price for a Halo 5 limited edition console? I tried Gamemania (Netherlands) and they said I would get the same turn-in discount as any other Xbox, so I am probably better off trying to sell that one.

Did we ever get good pics to see the gradient? Or is there even a gradient? Can't tell if it's just the lighting. May end up keeping my SE order, but can't decide. I'd rather have an all black console, but if this is close enough then I may just say fuck it and be done with it.

Man... Target in the U.S. still has pre-orders available! Not sure if that's by mistake or if they just have really low demand. Place orders there at your own risk.

Edit: Looks like Gamestop has more in stock via the web as well. Not sure this will be too hard to find after all.

Did we ever get good pics to see the gradient? Or is there even a gradient? Can't tell if it's just the lighting. May end up keeping my SE order, but can't decide. I'd rather have an all black console, but if this is close enough then I may just say fuck it and be done with it.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I took a screenshot from an unboxing video that I believe gives us our best look in a natural lighting setting. I quite like it!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246712066&postcount=4795

Man... Target in the U.S. still has pre-orders available! Not sure if that's by mistake or if they just have really low demand. Place orders there at your own risk.

Edit: Looks like Gamestop has more in stock via the web as well. Not sure this will be too hard to find after all.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I took a screenshot from an unboxing video that I believe gives us our best look in a natural lighting setting. I quite like it!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246712066&postcount=4795

Thanks. I still feel it could be the lighting though. Wish I could go look at the two side by side in person. Was it ever confirmed that there isn't really any texture? If so, it has me fooled.

I don't have much faith in those Duke controllers being any good with Hyperkin making them. Build quality of their stuff is usually suspect.

Hyperkin has talked about, now that they have the recognition to make deals with bigger companies, how they are aiming to be known more for one-off, high quality, products and with Seamus Blackley's involvement I'm hopeful it turns out well.

Thanks. I still feel it could be the lighting though. Wish I could go look at the two side by side in person. Was it ever confirmed that there isn't really any texture? If so, it has me fooled.

I recommend watching that unboxing video I posted when you have a chance then. The guy goes into good detail and it really shows off the gradient effect. No mention of texture by him so I'm assuming it's just a paint job/skin.

Guy that is currently at gamescom reports that the PS Edition has gradient from dark grey to black as you can see in the image below that was taken there. I am personally not happy about that if the color difference is indeed that visible!

xbox-one-x-43.jpg

I like that the gradient moves in the opposite direction on the bottom compared to the top.

Colbert

Banned
Breaking news:

You can win an extension kit for the Xbox One X at gamescom that adds 2 terraflipflops to the spec. See picture below:

oDSMdMb.png

Kambing

Man i am now REALLY looking forward to this console. Glad i got my pre-order in. I've got a few places in the house where i game, but will put the 1X in the living room. My PC can now remain stationed for desk gaming.

I kind of fudged my PC build, went ahead and bought the 1080ti FE. It's definitely not the quitest GPU. Praying that the vapor chamber makes the 1X is whisper quite. Even the PS4 pro gets loud as hell which gets distracting.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Man i am now REALLY looking forward to this console. Glad i got my pre-order in. I've got a few places in the house where i game, but will put the 1X in the living room. My PC can now remain stationed for desk gaming.

I kind of fudged my PC build, went ahead and bought the 1080ti FE. It's definitely not the quitest GPU. Praying that the vapor chamber makes the 1X is whisper quite. Even the PS4 pro gets loud as hell which gets distracting.

I'm really happy I was home on Sunday when the orders went live. Hopped down to my local Gamestop where they'd been answering the phone all day telling people the pre orders weren't live yet. When I went in, I told them they had gone up on the site about 20 minutes before I got there. They were shocked to find out orders can be placed. Mine was first, the (new) store manager was second. I was on their call to know list anyway, the new manager wasn't. After the fist two were placed, they began to call people. I found out yesterday, my local store in a Suburb of New York City was only getting 12 and was sold out pretty quickly.

Reading about the improvements to Rise of the Tomb Raider over the PS4 Pro version makes me really happy that I got my order in for this. November 7th feels like forever from now.

Jumeira

Banned
Reading about the improvements to Rise of the Tomb Raider over the PS4 Pro version makes me really happy that I got my order in for this. November 7th feels like forever from now.

I hear you, and those Assassin's Creed videos are not helping ease the wait. 2 and half months. God.

Dehnus

Just to give you an update: Xbox One X hdd interface is still SATA 2 !!!

Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-07.png

Most Hard drives can't fill up SATA 2 anyway, SATA 3 is something for Sold State disks and faster. So for MS it is a way to save a few bucks on each system. When you sell like 5 million, then these bucks start to add up. Take the common 7200RPM HDD (3.5 inch, Xbox one S, and the X probably as well use, 2.5 inch and probably slower than this, source Wikipedia *1), it reads at about 1030Mbits a second, sequentially. That's about 1Gbit a second. Sata 2 supports 3Gbit/s *2, thus you have 2Gbits for your BluRay UHD drive (if you read from both sources at once, which most games won't as nobody will leave the disk in) and everything else that requires the SATA bus.And again, the Xbox One X will use a far slower 2.5 inch drive.

To put it short, Sata 3 is overkill for your standard Spinner HDD especially if you only have one of them like these consoles have. Now if you have a high speed Solid State disk, then suddenly SATA is starting to feel it's limits. :). But since you can't change your disk in the system anyway, it is more than enough.

*1:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Data_transfer_rate
*2:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#2.0

Colbert

Banned
Most Hard drives can't fill up SATA 2 anyway, SATA 3 is something for Sold State disks and faster. So for MS it is a way to save a few bucks on each system. When you sell like 5 million, then these bucks start to add up. Take the common 7200RPM HDD (3.5 inch, Xbox one S, and the X probably as well use, 2.5 inch and probably slower than this, source Wikipedia *1), it reads at about 1030Mbits a second, sequentially. That's about 1Gbit a second. Sata 2 supports 3Gbit/s *2, thus you have 2Gbits for your BluRay UHD drive (if you read from both sources at once, which most games won't as nobody will leave the disk in) and everything else that requires the SATA bus.And again, the Xbox One X will use a far slower 2.5 inch drive.

To put it short, Sata 3 is overkill for your standard Spinner HDD especially if you only have one of them like these consoles have. Now if you have a high speed Solid State disk, then suddenly SATA is starting to feel it's limits. :). But since you can't change your disk in the system anyway, it is more than enough.

*1:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Data_transfer_rate
*2:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#2.0

You are right, i based my expectations on my SSDs speeds as I don't have normal hdds anymore in my computer systems. Interesting fact in hindsight btw.

Colbert

Banned
Good news for guys bleed gasoline and pre-ordered a Xbox One X (I talk about Forza 7):

My impressions so far(long read):

I had the chance to play around 18 games, tomorrow there will be more.
Thank god I'm press.

FORZA 7
Yes, I don't have a X1 but I have never seen a better racing game than this. Even Driveclub has no chance. It WAS FUCKING ASTONISHING ON X1 DEVKITS. 4K + 60 FPS.
God
Incredible. Controls, cars, visuals. perfect.

Dehnus

To add to that: The CPU will most likely still be the largest bottleneck when it comes to moving data from the hard disk to the system memory.

Nah, the Jaguar can move quite a bit really, Especially as the PS4 Pro and this one are higher clocked ones that are closer to Pumas (Which are just jaguars clocked higher with some power efficiency shit on top of that). Moving from A to B is not the hardest job for your CPU.

You'd have a point though in case of the encryption, that is something MS has had issues with( one of the reasons the install times are so slow :( ). But there are rumors that that is fixed by some fixed function hardware on board, it will also be helped by the higher clocked Jaguar/Puma (again Puma is little more than a higher clocked Jaguar).

So in that case you'd be right, the encryption will be the bottle neck in this, but if that is done by something on board (and at 499, they better add some shit like that) then install times will be a whole lot faster than on an S :p.

Outside of that the Jaguar/Puma is fine for most gaming really. Especially when properly coded for. Just heavy physics should be offloaded to Async compute, you'd be a moron if you didn't LOL :p. Sad thing is, would be nice to have an unbalanced layout with a few cores that pack a bit more punch per cycle. That way we could have some more interesting opponent AI for a change, compared to some old games... modern games have a serious problem in intelligent opponents. But.. oh well. Maybe Nvidia's research with Tensor cores will push some HUGE break through there for PS5, Xbox Two and Switch U ;).

I have a Xbox One X preordered as well as own a PS4 Pro, I am wondering if I should get the Xbox One X version of the games I already own on the PS4 Pro. I have Hitman, Fallout 4, Ghost Recon Wildlands and For Honor for the PS4 Pro but I never got around to playing them. I am thinking of trading the PS4 versions in and getting the Xbox One X versions. I have not even touched those games.

Dabanton

I guess the below pretty much answers it well enough

I'd also add
- HDR
- Controller/Couch gameplay
- More robust online capability

It's ultimately your money, and if it brings you enjoyment, why not?

Yep the controller and online is the biggest reason I got most of my multiplats on Xbox One. Despite that machine having the worst versions of multiplats.

Some genres for me just don't play as well with the PS4 controller. My PS4 Pro is for exclusives and it's looking like my Scorpio will be for multiplats plus I get to play with my preferred controller. (I mean it has no exclusives so why not :p)

I have a Xbox One X preordered as well as own a PS4 Pro, I am wondering if I should get the Xbox One X version of the games I already own on the PS4 Pro. I have Hitman, Fallout 4, Ghost Recon Wildlands and For Honor for the PS4 Pro but I never got around to playing them. I am thinking of trading the PS4 versions in and getting the Xbox One X versions. I have not even touched those games.

Most of those games are getting 'enhanced' so that would be a good move.

Yeah, I think I'm holding on to my Scorpio version until I can get an all black. Not sure though as the gradient doesn't seem that bad. I need a good picture though.

Top Bottom