• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakely

I see this all the time.
If someone hasn't bought an Xbox one three years in, why would they buy a Scorpio earlier. Late adopters don't just become early adopters like that.

By announcing the Scorpio 18 months in advance Microsoft is essentially telling their customers to hold off and wait for something better.

I really don't follow the logic behind this announcement.

E-Cat

Forward compatible, as in it will play 'Xbox Two' games circa 2020? At that point, will they finally cut Xbox One support?

MrHoot

I don't really believe this freakign 4k business unless the console will have an outrageously high price point.

In any case, interesting, but hardware never makes a console truely interesting as we saw with current gen. Software always does and since they're moving to having everything on win10 I have no interest

Beefy

Scorpio sounds like a beast. But they need to have some exclusives that aren't actually on Windows to tempt me.

Something to keep in mind here is many developers most likely aren't going to improve the actual core assets of their games for this thing.

You are either going to get 4K or much higher settings, not both. There simply isn't enough power there.

For people that are playing on 1080p sets this will not visually make a huge difference, though I would hope that they would keep that in mind and perhaps allow you to decide between a higher resolution or a higher frame rate. If they are going to be offering PC like choices then they should commit.

SRTtoZ

Yes, pre-launching a product almost 18 months before availability definitely is risky (see "Osborne Effect" for details).

If many Microsoft customers have the same reaction as the above poster, Microsoft risks not selling that many XB1S's as customers end up waiting for holiday 2017.

Yea well MS clearly knows they are beat this generation, so they are going to take the loss on not selling consoles by announcing Scorpio. I'm just shocked they announced an Xbox Slim because Scorpio will also hurt those sales.

How does this compare to those 1070/80's and how will these 6 flops affect my wallet since there's so many of them?

they are not directly comparable. Polaris is not in the market just yet. 1070/1080 will probably still be much faster especially since you can pair them with a proper CPU.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The existing user base does not explain why you can't make a Scorpio exclusive game if you want to, not why you would or wouldn't want to in the first place. I do not get this eternal cross gen thing. Phones aren't consoles and phones get cut off faster than a six year cycle like consoles are currently on.

jmdajr

Well we are not quite at an upgrade every 3 years, but it's getting close.

PS3/XBOX360 is one for the books. Longest generation ever.

RulkezX

Maybe this has already been asked/answered, but is pushing 4K gaming really a good idea?

If everybody is excited about developers having the power to do more with games, to achieve better graphical fidelity, to have higher frame rates, won't pushing the resolution to 4K really hinder a lot of that ability?

PC gamers, does 4K gaming with true increases in all of these areas seem realistic given the 6 TF figure?

I'd imagine all it means is we will see resolutions greater than 1080 and up to 4k much like we have with games falling somewhere between 720 and 1080 this gen.

Loudninja

This is so odd to me.

Most of the game they shown was for the PC as well, they announced a new slim version then announced another new system for Holiday 2017 I dont get it.

Quotient

CdNufeJ.png

Amazing.

Being serious for a moment, i wonder if Sony's neo plans got MS to panic and make this announcement. All MS talked about were specs, which is very easy to do, it isn't until we have a machine in our hands that it means anything. This may be MS's attempt to try and kill some attention from the Neo. It is really odd to announce this far ahead of time when you are still trying to sell your current console.

papo

I hope they both stay "projects" for a while and there is a huge back a forward between Sony and MS keeping upping the specs to beat one another until we have a monster better than any pc lol.

But yeah awesome news. Makes sens to me that they are moving forward with this and the buy one game and play anywhere feature makes it even better. I guess it means you basically have a "steam" library and you can play in any compatible Xbox box.

Still don't know what to think. The vague descriptions didn't really answer any of my questions or concerns with this.

I was thinking about the slim but I'm not getting anything until we get more of an idea as to how this model is even going to work

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Patrick Klepek ‏@patrickklepek 1m1 minute ago
Patrick Klepek Retweeted (((Noray)))
Devs I’ve talked to are unhappy about PS4.5 because it’s happening so fast, Sony demanding compatibility ASAP.

interesting

I don't see the point in buying an Xbox One S then.
If they discontinued the original Xbox One it would make sense... but this way it's better to buy a cheap original Xbox One now if you really want to play all the current games and then upgrade to a Scorpio.

They're probably anticipating a Sony reveal and wanted to beat them to the punch and pose themselves as the leaders of innovation, with Sony 'trailing' behind looking like the copycats (when actually I think Neo started sooner right?). If they waited until after the Neo reveal then it would just reinforce the notion that they play catch up with ps4. Now, even when the Neo releases sooner, they'll be able to say to consumers "This was our idea."

Announcing it so early does put a damper on the current situation but I guess it was worth it to them to create that narrative. The S might be cheaper to produce for them as well, making it beneficial for them in the meantime. Hardware revisions are not only for the consumers benefit.

It's a gamble. I wonder how it will play out in the long term with people holding out for Scorpio instead of buying current offerings. They probably weighed their choices and thought it was a better plan than to let Sony pull further ahead.

Alienous

The PS4 NEO doesn't need to worry. It'll be out earlier, will probably be cheaper, and will have a larger mass-market appeal.

Nintendo should be shitting themselves.

ElNino

I don't see the point in buying an Xbox One S then.
If they discontinued the original Xbox One it would make sense... but this way it's better to buy a cheap original Xbox One now if you really want to play all the current games and then upgrade to a Scorpio.
Well, I want to get another Xbox One so that the kids can play on their own and not hog the family room, so I'll be getting an Xbox One S as soon as it comes out (August?). Next year, I'll get the Scorpio when it comes out and and I'll either sell my original Xbox One or move it to my office.

Jumeira

Banned
The salt is real up in here.

All you Nostradamuses saying 599 lol, it's over a year away and they want a competive price or why even bother.

Anywho I'm imagining KI4 on this beast HNNNNNNG.

Well, thye fell flat on their faces about XboxOne S price :) LOL @ $399 predictions.

This console is a beast, but I think it will waste most of its power on rendering that 4k. So I'm kinda bummed about his last statement on 4k games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All that power is going to get sucked up pushing 4K at a the same ropey 20-30fps we get now.

4K30 is so stupid.

Yeah, I don't really like the push for 4K. This would be a monster for a 1080p gaming but trying to push 4K isn't really going to result in much higher fidelity than we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom