• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping to get some media assets of this soon, but the press site is currently being hammered.

Tagyhag

Holiday 2017 is much farther than I thought they'd release it on, but all that wait means that they can probably drop it down to $399.

A small hit? A GTX 1070, which is a 6.5 TF GPU, is $380 by itself.

"Small hit" in terms of Microsoft. They did just pay 26.2 Billion dollars in cash for LinkedIn. I have a feeling a lot the pricing will depend on how well their PC software sales are. That is money they wouldn't have been getting for the most part. I am willing to bet $399-$449. They won't make a mistake at $499 again. (Unless Sony does that first)

Whoa... you have my attention MS. If you're not pulling that DRM crap again, I'm going to be a customer!

What about the RAM? Are they going with GDDR5X?

Edit:
Wait what? Holiday 2017? Why announce this early?

That thing's bonkers, but I don't imagine I'll be able to afford it. Sony's up against the ropes with no Neo showing and this will run like wildfire through forums, comment sections, and youtube videos even if it's just words right now.

A FLOP is a floating point operation, i.e. a calculation involving a a non-integer. Think 3 / 2 = 1.5. That's a floating point operation. 6 TFLOPS means that the Scorpio can do 6 trillion floating point operations per second in ideal situations. It's a measure of speed.
explain to me in DBZ power levels

Don Lapre

CdNufeJ.png

GameSeeker

Launching a console without showing the console. 16 months before release?

That's one way to do it. This is a huge win, or a massive fuck up. I'm going with option one.

Yes, pre-launching a product almost 18 months before availability definitely is risky (see "Osborne Effect" for details).

So skip the Xbox One S and wait for this. I'll go with a Scorpio and a Neo, boom.

If many Microsoft customers have the same reaction as the above poster, Microsoft risks not selling that many XB1S's as customers end up waiting for holiday 2017.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The salt is real up in here.

All you Nostradamuses saying 599 lol, it's over a year away and they want a competive price or why even bother.

Anywho I'm imagining KI4 on this beast HNNNNNNG.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A FLOP is a floating point operation, i.e. a calculation involving a a non-integer. Think 3 / 2 = 1.5. That's a floating point operation. 6 TFLOPS means that the Scorpio can do 6 trillion floating point operations per second in ideal situations. It's a measure of speed.
How does this compare to those 1070/80's and how will these 6 flops affect my wallet since there's so many of them?

RowdyReverb

It just sounds risky to relly so much on being the more powerful console and hanging on the 6teraflops.

Announcing it possibly 1,5 half years before releasing is also crazy.
The rationale makes sense. If they want to put dev kits out there, it's going to leak anyway if they don't announce it now.

I find it weird with nothing exclusive to scorpio and everything coming to Windows 10 I see no reason to get a Scorpio over just saving up for a gaming pc.

SRTtoZ

I'm just excited that consoles are taking a fucking LEAP for once. Give us beastly performance with a different SKU! This will force Sony to do similar I'd think.

vpance

I dont get Microsoft. Why would I buy an Xbox S now? I'm going to assume sales will slow down considerably.

With all your exclusives on Windows 10 now, a decent amount of people will move to PC.

I don't get the business strategy.

Xbox S is for casual gamers. Scorpio will probably be like $499+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom