• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!!! 6 Teraflops!!

what's a teraflop

A FLOP is a floating point operation, i.e. a calculation involving a a non-integer. Think 3 / 2 = 1.5. That's a floating point operation. 6 TFLOPS means that the Scorpio can do 6 trillion floating point operations per second in ideal situations. It's a measure of speed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sounds really good. I like it because it means better PC ports too from next year onward. This explain also why Sony decided not to show Neo at E3.

All I know is that it is the highest quality pixels.

For reals though, I don't understand why they'd introduce Xbox One S (slim) and then introduce the next Xbox that is out a year or more later so early in advance... they want to kill sales?

MuchoMalo

Banned
FYI, that bandwith means that we're looking at either GDDR5X or a 384-bit bus. It also means that this thing is going to be pretty damn expensive, especially if that's an 8-core Zen we're talking about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are the specs too far ahead of xbox one to realistically have games forward and backwards compatible? Wouldn't it hold scorpio back too much?

Although if its mostly 'just' 4k/60 games then that will suck up most of the added power so you could have

- scorpio 4k/60
- xbox one 900p/30

Flintty

Pretty exciting stuff. Not sure if I'll get one straight away, I'm more likely to pick up an S for my daughter this Christmas and maybe get a Scorpio a year after initial release. If I can resist.

CoG

Weird strategy. It's going to crater Xbox One sales for a year and a half and Sonly will likely announce the PS5 for Spring 2018 at next year's E3.

Horp

Can you imagine how far from "TV TV TV XBOX ONE TV TV TV" Microsoft is by now? It's like a different company.

Zophar

Damn, Microsoft really held back for a few years and now they're serving some serious crow.

How? By announcing almost nothing new, putting everything on Win 10, and announcing a redesign only to cripple it by announcing better iterative hardware coming out in 18 months?

Fergie

Banned
Announcing it super early with just some talk about specs definitely does show rushing though, while announcing a slimmer version at the same time.

Sony just confirmed Neo recently but supposedly won't be talked about at E3.

Newboi

The whole play anywhere initiative is fantastic, but I feel that it kind of makes the Xbox Scorpio announcement less impactful. You can now play your more powerful xbox game on your even more powerful PC.

I understand there will be a huge price difference between a high-end PC and Scorpio, but people thinking of investing in a PC now have even more reason to.

maxiell

Seems like they were really behind Sony and surprised by Neo.

Really smart decision to announce though. Now you can spend the next year talking about how important power is and how you have the best console. That's a lot better messaging than "We announced nothing new for the Xbox One."

Noobcraft

It just sounds risky to relly so much on being the more powerful console and hanging on the 6teraflops.

Announcing it possibly 1,5 half years before releasing is also crazy.
Microsoft could bump specs too, they did say "Over 6TFs performance". Scorpio is supposed to launch after the PS4K iirc.

DSix

Banned
So if I understand well, they'll release in holiday 2017 a console that's already beaten by midrange PC GPUs from 2016?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I want to see what kind of software this will launch with. Next E3, I guess. Not much announced or showed today.

velociraptor

I hope this isn't the end of 'console generations' and hopefully this is a one-off thing.

I fear the 'smartphone' future. The analogy used by Sony was awful.

Fox Mulder

I love how they actually announced and gave details about this Holiday 2017 console and Nintendo isn't saying SHIT about their March 2017 console this week.

Nintendos choice to become irrelevant is sad really.

I'm excited for a new Xbox and glad they announced it this way.

Asd202

What DOES "beyond generations" mean though? Don't try his incremental upgrade bullshit

It means exacly this.

are the specs too far ahead of xbox one to realistically have games forward and backwards compatible? Wouldn't it hold scorpio back too much?

Although if its mostly 'just' 4k/60 games then that will suck up most of the added power so you could have

- scorpio 4k/60
- xbox one 900p/30

It makes xbone so redundant not left behind my ass.

Apdiddy

I was leaning towards getting a Xbox One S until this was announced. Now I'll just wait until 2017 and "Project Scorpio."

Microsoft manages to do moves that make me want to believe in their console then dash it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom