• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
It's rare I come on to post Holy Shit, but

Holy Shit!

MS really redeemed themselves with this E3 conference, some great looking games and HW release info?

Colour me impressed.

iavi

There whole conference felt like they were on the scorpio wagon... even last year too

It feels like MS has checked out on the One tbh. The early showing of Scorpio, the focus on Win10. The One's getting the OG Xbox treatment, which is whatevs if they go all in fresh on the Scorpio like they did when they launched the 360. They know they lost this round

Freeman

Banned
It just sounds risky to relly so much on being the more powerful console and hanging on the 6teraflops.

Announcing it possibly 1,5 half years before releasing is also crazy.

It's not for those people the games will be on Windows 10 too

This is the main thing. Scorpio is great if games were only available to play on it, however, MS went the opposite direction by making no game only playable on Xbox.

I think Sony still holds advantage, by

1: releasing in spring 2017

2: having exclusive (not on PC) games

duhmetree

I dont get Microsoft. Why would I buy an Xbox S now? I'm going to assume sales will slow down considerably.

With all your exclusives on Windows 10 now, a decent amount of people will move to PC.

I don't get the business strategy.

I guess they tried their best to work with what they had from Don Mattrick, but at the end of the day new hardware was the only solution.

I'm guess 499.99. Not interested in any Xbox One games or products but they had a good showing. Lots of games. Xbox one gamers should be pretty happy/

GHG

Why don't leave Xbox one behind? What use of 6tf when your game design dragging down by Xbox one?

Because by doing that you are leaving people who can't afford this behind.

It's high risk for developers to develop exclusively for a new platform with 0 userbase.

jonno394

as mentioned in the E3 thread, we know it's backwards compatible, but did they say everything on scorpio will play on XBox One (like Sony are apparently doing in with the ps4/neo)?

Leonsito

They know that the rumored Neo was weaker, and I'm sure they know Sony will up the specs, that's why the 18 month wait to release, to counter-up them lol

It's not odd if you consider their competitor is coming out with a new box this year and is likely into the late stages of production.

Sony might be able to up the power on it but not to match the Scorpio at this point.

So Sony comes out with something this year and MS is letting you know that if power is your concern that they will have the answer if you can wait.

That was MS' best E3 show in a very long time and the reveal of Scorpio was a nice cherry on top. Too bad it's a year and a half away, but I'm sure it will be nice.

jelly

4K is a bit wasteful. Go for something less and really do nice stuff.

I guess Sony is going to delay and ask AMD for the same stuff?

mjontrix

Zen = CPU
GPU = Vega?

MS bringing the big Guns

Beefed up Polaris.

Vega is far too expensive to implement due to HBM2.

Still will be a huge boost - Vulkan/DX12 is going to shine!

Polaris small die size so the price I'd estimate $449 or $399 if the yields are solid by then.

Gaz_RB

Why don't leave Xbox one behind? What use of 6tf when your game design dragging down by Xbox one?

Yup, kind of what I'm worried about too. We won't be getting new experiences, we'll just be getting the same types with higher resolution.

Like... At what point do they leave the Xbox One behind? What will the landscape look like in 5 years? Seems like they're boxing themselves in here. Really interested in what Sony will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom