• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles (EU) release moved up, Now August 19th

BluWacky

wrowa said:
Pretty much as crazy as English-speaking people pronouncing an X just like a Z. If you don't bother to change the pronounciation, why have two different letters in the first place ;(

Because it's the Greek ξ that has been transliterated into "X", rather than the Greek ζ. If it was an English word then maybe it would be "Zeno", but it isn't, so... yeah.

Feep

Banned
(laugh) This is odd.

The letter "X" is a redundant letter in English; we can make the same sound using "cks". However, it's a shorter way of writing that particular sound, so we use it often instead.

That sound is awkward at the beginnings of syllables, and so the letter takes the alternate pronunciation of "zee" in those cases. Most letters in English have alternative sounds depending on nearly arbitrary rules, so I don't see why this is any different.

Saying "CKS-enoblade" is a pain in the ass. Sorry, Euros.

Aeana

Clearly, the game should be called クセノブレイド (kusenobureido) instead of ゼノブレイド (zenobureido).

Labadal

reggie_v2--article_image.jpg

ace3skoot

so if we eu folk don't buy this game america has no chance of getting it hmmm how much do i want this game and how anti-american am i feeling todays :p

warpaint said:
boo to the riots if i don't get my game

The riots haven't brought the entire country to a stand still so it's really nothing to bother thinking about.

However, here's to hoping they all get what's coming to them.

Zwei

ace3skoot said:
so if we eu folk don't buy this game america has no chance of getting it hmmm how much do i want this game and how anti-american am i feeling todays :p

Buy it used. Problem solved.

warpaint

CruxisMana said:
The riots haven't brought the entire country to a stand still so it's really nothing to bother thinking about.

However, here's to hoping they all get what's coming to them.
I know its still running only snow brings it to a stand still

thefro

mattiewheels said:
I installed Startpatch, but I'm sort of nervous since I don't have any other non-US region discs to test it out on. I just want to be able to put the disc in and click play, no extra steps. The other hacks it installed work, like the auto start on the warning screen, so I hope for the best.

That's worked great for me with the Japanese version of The Last Story. Just pop the disc in and it works.

RPGCrazied

Franchuzas87 said:
Reggie discusses localizing games like Xenoblade.

"We will be watching very closely what happens in Europe," Fils-Aime told me. "Certainly if there are business opportunities and positive consumer uptake from some of those titles, that will be great data for us to consider as we look at what to do with these titles."

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/118/1187097p1.html

Too little too late. I know Nintendo sees the money regardless, but am getting the EU version and passing the NA version. I might even do that with Skyward Sword I'm so disgusted.

Phenomic

Franchuzas87 said:
Reggie discusses localizing games like Xenoblade.

"We will be watching very closely what happens in Europe," Fils-Aime told me. "Certainly if there are business opportunities and positive consumer uptake from some of those titles, that will be great data for us to consider as we look at what to do with these titles."

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/118/1187097p1.html

So basically if Xenoblade does good in Europe, they will localize it much later. The game will fail because everyone imported it and Reggie will wonder what went wrong and thus the cycle will repeat.

Codeblue said:
Zavvi, ASDA, and I think Game365 all have free shipping. Not sure about customs charges though.

which of those is the best?

is just going through amazon.co.uk inadvisable? can that even work, or does it have expensive shipping to the US (the game seems to be 10 pound less there, which is like saving $80 if my maths is correct).

Linkzg said:
which of those is the best?

is just going through amazon.co.uk inadvisable? can that even work, or does it have expensive shipping to the US (the game seems to be 10 pound less there, which is like saving $80 if my maths is correct).
Amazon UK won't ship to the USA.

I've had problems with Zavvi, so I can't recommend them - they like to take orders and let people down later rather than be honest in advance. I don't know about 365Games - they could be good. ASDA is a big supermarket chain - they are owned by Walmart if that makes you feel any better.

Corleth the Fey said:
Amazon UK won't ship to the USA.

I've had problems with Zavvi, so I can't recommend them - they like to take orders and let people down later rather than be honest in advance. I don't know about 365Games - they could be good. ASDA is a big supermarket chain - they are owned by Walmart if that makes you feel any better.

doesn't Zavvi ship ASDA orders? I thought I read that earlier in the thread but I could be wrong. I went with 365Games based on feedback in this and other GAF threads.

And regarding Reggie's comments, it's too late for me as well. Even if the game does eventually come out in the US, I won't be buying it a second time.

Clever Pun said:
doesn't Zavvi ship ASDA orders? I thought I read that earlier in the thread but I could be wrong. I went with 365Games based on feedback in this and other GAF threads.
They could do - I don't know. I tried a google, but that didn't help. If I were having to make this decision to import - I'd go with 365Games. Because I hate Zavvi and don't really care for ASDA.

If I money was no object then maybe I'd go with GAME - at least they'd be a known quantity to me.

Clever Pun said:
And regarding Reggie's comments, it's too late for me as well. Even if the game does eventually come out in the US, I won't be buying it a second time.
I feel the same way. NoA had their chance and they let me down. I might even get Skyward Sword from NoE.

Clever Pun said:
doesn't Zavvi ship ASDA orders? I thought I read that earlier in the thread but I could be wrong.
Both Zavvi and ASDA entertainment websites are run by The Hut group (they bought the formers name once Zavvi went completely bust*) so I would assume they are both effectively the same.

*-Zavvi itself being Virgin Megastores that was sold for £1 (aka, here, have a pile of debt)

LevityNYC

Banned
Phenomic said:
So basically if Xenoblade does good in Europe, they will localize it much later. The game will fail because everyone imported it and Reggie will wonder what went wrong and thus the cycle will repeat.

Bingo.

RPGCrazied

So, what will you other Americans being doing while waiting for your shipment? Specially if you went with somewhere that has free shipping like me. We going to be waiting a few weeks more. :(

I see more WoW in my future.

LevityNYC said:
Well its August....i'd imagine spending time by the pool, beach, or just outside will help me pass the time.

Outside? It's been raining for almost a week, it's windy and I haven't seen the sun in a couple of days. Shittiest summer ever. I need Xenoblade ;_ ;

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The game still won't do well if it doesn't break out of forum-love-only zone.

Someone go flier some stores. I doubt Nintendo is even doing that.

Nintendo UK says there is “high interest” for Xenoblade Chronicles
http://www.mcvuk.com/retail-biz/recommended/read/xenoblade-chronicles/082901

“Xenoblade is a niche franchise in the UK and will appeal to RPG and JRPG fans, especially those who enjoyed Monster Hunter Tri on Wii,” says Nintendo marketing assistant Vanisha Kavia. “There is a lot of high interest from fans on this title as it is a European exclusive.”

Nintendo will be primarily promoting Xenoblade Chronicles online, with takeovers planned for key fan sites dedicated to Nintendo titles, RPG games and JRPGs.

Ads will also point to a GAME and Gamestation-exclusive bundle to drive pre-orders. The SKU contains a copy of the game and a red Classic Controller Pro.

Reading that Nintendo UK quote reminds of when NOA took over Gamefaqs over Magical Starsign. Plus when NOE took over Youtube for the Pokemon Black/White launch (I'd say they are in a better position for Xenoblade with their Let's Play series*, I don't remember if they had any Pokemon videos up).

*-Hopefully NOE make good use of youtube insight to learn as much as possible from this experimental marketing tactic.

MicH

Sounds great. Can't wait to receive my copy. Does GAME send out preorders before launch so we can actually get them on launch? (or well, a few days later)

Zafir

MicH said:
Sounds great. Can't wait to receive my copy. Does GAME send out preorders before launch so we can actually get them on launch? (or well, a few days later)
Yeah they usually do. In fact I tend to get stuff a day early from them. Sometimes even 2 days.

McNum

I just pre-ordered my copy from the local GameStop. Turns out they were running a pre-order incentive where I could get the Limited Edition for the price of the Standard Edition if I pre-ordered before tomorrow. So I was just in time.

So, chalk one more up for interest in Europe from me. I hope the game is as good as its rumor says. My Wii hasn't gotten much use lately (I blame the Steam sale, so many games, so little time) and I've been wanting a good JRPG.

RPGCrazied said:
So, what will you other Americans being doing while waiting for your shipment? Specially if you went with somewhere that has free shipping like me. We going to be waiting a few weeks more. :(

I see more WoW in my future.
I'll be slowly playing The Witcher.

Also, importing Skyward Sword from Europe is an excellent idea. Fuck NoA.

John Harker said:
The game still won't do well if it doesn't break out of forum-love-only zone.

Someone go flier some stores. I doubt Nintendo is even doing that.

I think NOE are being pretty smart about promoting this game, focusing on cheap, but effective online stuff (voting for the alternative cover, the youtube channel) that should reach the core gamers.

They wouldn't make make their money back if they did TV ads, for example.

I think the reviews (which have so far been stellar) will help a lot too.

Ok, time for some impressions:

- Graphics are atrocious. One one hand, you really have to marvel at the scale of the game, which rivals even the biggest, louder HD production. We're talking bigger than Mass Effect here. One the other hand, you almost feel bad for everything else: some of the technical lows of Xenoblade wouldn't pass on a first generation PS2 release. And there is a clear lack of craftsmanship in many areas - animation for example is mostly hilarious.

- Music is standard but high quality JRPG stuff. One annoying thing is how "loud" the music plays in many of the cutscenes, it's like you're having shimomura shouting "winds of emotion!" in your ear in a high pitched voice, instead of enjoying her composition. I shouldn't complain though, most of it is great stuff.

- Localization is good but not great, I think I will switch to japanese soon, the english voice overs are seemingly enthusiastic but these anime-style dramatic dialogues fit much better to japanese actors, I think.

- Story & Gameplay: I won't say much here because I still need a few hours for some conclusions, but boy, if this isn't a game with deep thinking behind it. The volume of content is INCREDIBLE, from advance battle/party mechanics to a million of sub quests and things to do and interact with in the world and cities. It's like the developers put every little thing the best JRPGS have been doing for the past five years in a single game. Still, need to make my mind about some stuff so I won't elaborate.

I will be back with more impressions tomorrow...

mclem

slaughterking said:
This'll probably be one of the few English language reviews, together with Eurogamer and maybe EDGE. Good to see it's well received.

Hasn't Edge already reviewed the import? Or am I misremembering?

Ultratech

LevityNYC said:
Well its August....i'd imagine spending time by the pool, beach, or just outside will help me pass the time.

LOL

I'd give that a thought if it hadn't been 40 days now where it's been over 100 Degrees where I'm at.

Top Bottom