• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

vanty

Is there any reason to keep all this "insect jaw" and "stiff hair" and stuff that monsters drop? I know sometimes you need something for a quest, but everything else is just there to be sold at a store?

Zornica

Banned
Is there any reason to keep all this "insect jaw" and "stiff hair" and stuff that monsters drop? I know sometimes you need something for a quest, but everything else is just there to be sold at a store?

Is there any reason to sell them?
If you wanna do lots of quests, I wouldn't sell anything untill you run out of space. And when that happens, only sell the cheap ones.

If you don't do much questing, just sell everything without a ! or a *

HOLY SHIT.

I just got done at Prison Island,
and that was a great set of scenes. The whole Fiora being alive thing was kind of predictable considering how often the they showed the flashback, but who knows where it'll go at this point.

Damn, not only do I love the soundtrack for this game, but I love the placement of the OST in the scenes. I'm wasn't initially a huge fan of the boss battle music, but when it started playing when
Shulk unleashed the Metal Face-hitting power of the Monado
, it was SO kickass.

Also, this cover of You Will Know Our Names is so kickass, haha.

Okay, I'm at level 72 and could use a lil' help:
just tried to fight the evil High Entia lady inside the Bionis' Heart and got owned pretty fast. What's the best way to gain levels at this point in the game?

Also, I noticed a new area with stupidly high level enemies just opened up in Tephra Cave, are there any other previously blocked areas now open to me? Cheers guys :D
In addition to Windy Cave on Bionis' Leg, Colony 9 actually has some decent monsters around that level, IIRC.

Use Melia against that boss.

MoogPaul

I think what's really killing me about Xenoblade is that if you do all the quests, you become massively over leveled. I'm steamrolling anything that comes by. I wish I could cut out all the XP that gets award outside of killing enemies.

jrcbandit

I think what's really killing me about Xenoblade is that if you do all the quests, you become massively over leveled. I'm steamrolling anything that comes by. I wish I could cut out all the XP that gets award outside of killing enemies.

I agree, the game really needs to be patched to cut quest xp in half or maybe to even 1/4th the value, up until around level 70 or so. The quests way over-level you, yet you can't get all the cool abilities unless you get high enough affinity with various regions to unlock the 4th and 5th set of skills. The skill that give additional XP for completing quests is especially ridiculous considering this major issue.

Ronok

Got Xenoblade the other day and I've been playing quite a lot. My only problem is I feel like I'm massively over powered since I went to the colony 6 refuge camp. I did all the quests because they were on a time lock and went on to the next level at like 26. Of course I've gained levels a few times since then without even fighting anything (I'm trying to let the monsters catch up) and now I'm at the point where I have to do a ritual and I still seem to be way too strong. Is there anyway for me to let let things even out a bit? Would I be in this situation had I not done quests and played normally? Is this normal? :-/ I'd really enjoy the feeling that something could pop up and kill me again.

I agree, the game really needs to be patched to cut quest xp in half or maybe to even 1/4th the value, up until around level 70 or so. The quests way over-level you, yet you can't get all the cool abilities unless you get high enough affinity with various regions to unlock the 4th and 5th set of skills. The skill that give additional XP for completing quests is especially ridiculous considering this major issue.

...I probably should have read above, but some of my questions still stand... :(

If you want to make things more difficult, you could always try switching up your party. Even changing your main can make battles more difficult sometimes.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The listing is up on EBGames Canada, I don't know if this was already discussed but link

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Finally started it, and all i can say is, this game is awesome. Just got to the village, it's so well done, everything up to that point has been really fun, and i hope it gets even better! It seems everything in this game is fucking good, except for the menus/inventory.

I also love how they picked all the good little ideas that makes games not frustrating/boring, like save anywhere, restoring hp after each battle, fast travel between locations anywhere/anytime, almost no loadings, etc.

Hiltz

I think you may be able to find a fossil monkey on the small island near the Great Makna Falls. Alternatively, you can trade Berryjammy and/or Puko for it, but I think the area has to be up to level 2 star status. Lastly, I believe upgrading
Colony 6's farm
will make this item appear at night in that spot.

The vast majority of quests are not worth doing. You're not missing much by skipping them.
The way I see it is some of them grant bonuses for things you were doing in the first place. e.g. the monster killing ones you tend to obtain at the start of an area.

But those collectathon fetch quests. Why did I put myself through those? Guess I had fun with all the fighting and running. Oh yeah and gaining affinity to lead to worthwhile quests.

polg

I'm nearing the end and I'm fighting
Lorithia
. First boss I've struggled with :( If I can't finish this in a couple more tries... I might give up on the game :(

Oxx

That particular boss battle can swing in drastically different directions depending on where you and your partners end-up in that location.

But I must confess I chose brawn over brains and went off to gain a few levels before returning and winning with the minimum of fuss.

Gambit

That particular boss battle can swing in drastically different directions depending on where you and your partners end-up in that location.

But I must confess I chose brawn over brains and went off to gain a few levels before returning and winning with the minimum of fuss.

I employed the same strategy. (But also added Melia to my group)

It was, without a doubt, the toughest battle for me and mostly because of things outside my control (as in "how dumb will my AI-friends be).

Also, since I've visited this thread quite frequently, I'll take that opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year. (In Germany it's customary to wish someone "einen guten Rutsch" on NY's eve. That means "slide over into the New Year well")

polg

It was, without a doubt, the toughest battle for me and mostly because of things outside my control (as in "how dumb will my AI-friends be).

Also, since I've visited this thread quite frequently, I'll take that opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year. (In Germany it's customary to wish someone "einen guten Rutsch" on NY's eve. That means "slide over into the New Year well")

I managed to finish it. I grinded 1 level (to 72), and used Sharla, Rikki and Melia.

Not I'm back into doing quests -sigh-

Slair

Finally started it, and all i can say is, this game is awesome. Just got to the village, it's so well done, everything up to that point has been really fun, and i hope it gets even better! It seems everything in this game is fucking good, except for the menus/inventory.

I also love how they picked all the good little ideas that makes games not frustrating/boring, like save anywhere, restoring hp after each battle, fast travel between locations anywhere/anytime, almost no loadings, etc.

I just started it too a few days ago after getting my wii laser fixed so i could play it, I truely wasnt prepared for how good it is. I've been playing it with the biggest smile on my face.

I'm in Makna doing every side sidequest i come across, tell me people, do i still have a shit load of stuff left to do or am i past the half way point? I dont want this to end, games like this dont come along all too often :(

Wichu

I just started it too a few days ago after getting my wii laser fixed so i could play it, I truely wasnt prepared for how good it is. I've been playing it with the biggest smile on my face.

I'm in Makna doing every side sidequest i come across, tell me people, do i still have a shit load of stuff left to do or am i past the half way point? I dont want this to end, games like this dont come along all too often :(

You still have ages. My playtime at Makna was about 30 hours; it's currently 90 hours and I still haven't finished the game ;)

Slair

You still have ages. My playtime at Makna was about 30 hours; it's currently 90 hours and I still haven't finished the game ;)

Man, that is awesome to hear. I'm around 28 hours so it's amazing to hear that this game is as big as it is. My game of last year so far. It's like going back in time to when games had that special something.

Ultratech

Yeah...so I made it past the
Mechonis Core
yesterday...HOLY SHIT at that plot stuff!

Anyways, I had a lot of time to play yesterday so now I'm right at
Prison Island
at about 76. Time for leveling and quests!

I didn't have THAT much trouble with that fight. But I used a party of Melia, Dunban, and Sharla to fight the boss.
The adds were kinda annoying, but luckily, the boss is vulnerable to Topple. After two waves, the boss was done. Think I was about 74-75.

The
Bionis Interior
is a pretty wacky, messed-up place...

You're gonna be at it for a while...that place has WAY too many damn quests. But if you're only at Makna, you still have a LONG ways to go.
I think I'm about 95 hours where I'm at currently, and I've done a TON of quests thus far.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you want advice:

Use Melia!

She's definitely the easiest way to go, although I beat that fight using mostly status.
Riki, with Poison and Bleed, plus his few Ether attacks.

I'm nearing the end and I'm fighting
Lorithia
. First boss I've struggled with :( If I can't finish this in a couple more tries... I might give up on the game :(

Don't give up. It's what most people consider the 'toughest story fight' in the game, but mostly because other fights don't force you to use Ether. And you're around 80% of the way to the end, it'd be a shame to give up now.

heringer

So, I think I'm nearing the end.

Shulk just woke up, got his new sword and kicked some asses. I'm at level 68 right now. Is it long before I get to the final boss? Will I naturally get to 70ish before I face him or should I level up first?

I'm kinda mad because I lost the opportunity to make Fiora's weapon. I thought I would be able to go back to the Central Factory later. There was just so many crazy cutscenes happening that I didn't even try to fast travel there before shit started hitting the fan.

I hate that you only have 3 save slots. What were they thinking?

Whatever, I'll do everything on my New Game+ sometime this year.

Zornica

Banned

Shulk just woke up, got his new sword and kicked some asses. I'm at level 68 right now. Is it long before I get to the final boss? Will I naturally get to 70ish before I face him or should I level up first?

I'm kinda mad because I lost the opportunity to make Fiora's weapon. I thought I would be able to go back to the Central Factory later. There was just so many crazy cutscenes happening that I didn't even try to fast travel there before shit started hitting the fan.

the weapon you can get from the quest wasn't worth it anyway. you can get much butter ones from lvl 85
telethias in alcamoth
I'd advice you to progress till the point of no return (you will know when you reach it - dunban tells you), but you are WAY underleveled at this point. the next enemies you will encounter are at lvl ~73 so you should kill some stuff around colony 6, there are many
telethias at lvl ~68
. maybe do some colony 6 quests too (if you helped rebuilding it).

Seik

Banned
I wonder if the US version of the game will use the same save files than the PAL version. I'd be pleased if not because it'd give me a reason to start a new game from the beginning.

Anybody who is used with imports know if PAL and US save files are the same?

Hiltz

I don't think that weapon upgrade was worth it anyway from what I can remember. I believe the best older weapon you can get up to that point already outclassed it.

Level 75 is probably the lowest you should attempt to fight the final boss at. Level 76-78 seems to be the optimal level range to fight him at while maintiaing some challenge. Level 80+ will prove too easy. I did it at level 99. By the way, if you haven't done so yet, you can access new areas, sidequests, and fight tough monsters in
Tephra Cave

heringer

the weapon you can get from the quest wasn't worth it anyway. you can get much butter ones from lvl 85
telethias in alcamoth
I'd advice you to progress till the point of no return (you will know when you reach it - dunban tells you), but you are WAY underleveled at this point. the next enemies you will encounter are at lvl ~73 so you should kill some stuff around colony 6, there are many
telethias at lvl ~68
. maybe do some colony 6 quests too (if you helped rebuilding it).

Didn't really helped rebuilding colony 6. Forgot all about that at some point. I suppose it's to late for that now?

I wonder if the US version of the game will use the same save files than the PAL version. I'd be pleased if not because it'd give me a reason to start a new game from the beginning.

Even if they are compatible, you don't have to start a New Game +, you know. ;)

Zornica

Banned
Didn't really helped rebuilding colony 6. Forgot all about that at some point. I suppose it's to late for that now?

it's not to late, but if you don't care for side stuff like this, it's not worth it. Would have been an easy way to gain some xp at your lvl, but building it up from the ground takes much more time than just grinding some lvl 68-70 enemies.

As I said:
kill some telethia around colony6 until you reach ~lvl 70-72 and than progress with the main story.
shouldn't be a problem that way.

Two days trying to find
Lock-On
advanced book.

Fuck this game. I don't have the time.

- best way (you should be at least lvl 90 for this):
go to tephra cave 3F last spawnpoint (the room with the huge hole in the floor and the 2 90+ uniques (a bird and an ape). lure the gorilla unique away from his spawn point, kill it, save next to the chest. open it. reload your save and reopen that chest until you get your book.
- alternativ (~lvl 80):
go to eryth sea, kill lvl 87 Telethia untill one of them drops a gold chest (riki has a passiv skill for chance increase). do the same as described above.

Seik

Banned
Even if they are compatible, you don't have to start a New Game +, you know. ;)

I know, its all psychological. I'd feel a 'need' to do it once more if all three save files are empty. Plus I want to wait till April, yes I want to play it now, but if I play it now, I'll be less hyped when the US version will come out.

Well, that's me! XD I'll try to complete my main file even more.

The file as is, no (due to being stored in a different directory). With some modifications made (details kind of here), yes. At least someone did that with their Japanese save. Come to think of it the banner will be different due to the new logo.

How much of the game carries to NG+?
IIRC: Play time, EXP, AP, skills, artes, party affinity, affinity coins (can also obtain more from uniques), your equipped weapons/gems, up to 30 items from each item category (as in weapons, gems etc). Maybe it was all collectibles though...

Quest completion does not so you can see different outcomes. Same with heart to hearts.

All in all I'd have preferred a Tales of approach of selecting things so if I were playing the game again I'll probably throw a load of Ocarina codes to do the things I want done.

Wichu

I'm trying to do (post-Mechonis character spoiler)
Tyrea
's quest, but I'm stuck. It tells me to go to the
site of a past Telethia battle
in Makna. I checked both the
Contaminated Area
and the
Decayed Forest
, and found nothing. Is there somewhere I've missed, or is it a bug?

Anyway, I'm currently trying to find where the high-level Wisp enemies are for a quest, and also looking for more sealed doors that I can now open. I've checked the ones in the tomb and
La Luz Church
at Valak; getting past the unique at Eryth with the
sleep spike
effect at
Kromar Coast
is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'm pretty sure there's one in the
Hode Refuge
too, and I seem to remember a second one at Valak; any others?

I think I'm nearly at a high enough level to do the
Bafalgar's Tomb
quest now (at least high enough to beat some monsters in that area). One of my favourite things about the game is that areas have several tiers of monsters (and in one case,
a massive new area opens up late-game
), so revisiting past areas is worthwhile.

After completing a few more quests, I think I'll move on to a New Game+ and make sure I don't miss any timed quests this time :)

thomaser

I'm trying to do (post-Mechonis character spoiler)
Tyrea
's quest, but I'm stuck. It tells me to go to the
site of a past Telethia battle
in Makna. I checked both the
Contaminated Area
and the
Decayed Forest
, and found nothing. Is there somewhere I've missed, or is it a bug?

It's at the very first place you saw
a Telethia: at the beach below where you enter Makna the first time.

Wichu said:
Anyway, I'm currently trying to find where the high-level Wisp enemies are for a quest, and also looking for more sealed doors that I can now open. I've checked the ones in the tomb and
La Luz Church
at Valak; getting past the unique at Eryth with the
sleep spike
effect at
Kromar Coast
is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'm pretty sure there's one in the
Hode Refuge
too, and I seem to remember a second one at Valak; any others?

There are two in Satorl Marsh. One of them is easy to find, the other very, very hard.

Can anyone help me? I need to collect some Light Rain Elements, I was told they are on the Bionis Leg (if you kill the Aqua Nebulae during a thunderstorm) unfortunately this doesn't seem to work (unless its possible for it to rain without a thunderstorm) any suggestions? (also if you know where I can find a chewy radish, that would help out too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me? I need to collect some Light Rain Elements, I was told they are on the Bionis Leg (if you kill the Aqua Nebulae during a thunderstorm) unfortunately this doesn't seem to work (unless its possible for it to rain without a thunderstorm) any suggestions? (also if you know where I can find a chewy radish, that would help out too.

Rain and Thunderstorm are two different events, it can just rain. Thunderstorms are rarer IIRC. The item should appear in Silver chests (and occasionally Gold ones).

And chewy radishes are around Colony 9, and Jackson and Kenny Rohan will trade them with 1 and 2 star affinity, respectively.

Top Bottom