• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

thomaser

Can anyone help me? I need to collect some Light Rain Elements, I was told they are on the Bionis Leg (if you kill the Aqua Nebulae during a thunderstorm) unfortunately this doesn't seem to work (unless its possible for it to rain without a thunderstorm) any suggestions? (also if you know where I can find a chewy radish, that would help out too.

The Chewy Radish can be found anywhere around Colony 9.

Here's a great resource for finding things if you're stuck. It's a spreadsheet detailing every single quest in the game, along with tons of other useful info. It's almost impossible to do everything without using this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That document spoils pretty much the whole game though. If somebody is just on Bionis Leg I wouldn't recommend them look at that at all.

Hiltz

I think you can get light rain elements by going to either Bionis Leg or better yet, Satorl Marsh . When it is raining, look for an aqua nebula to kill. Remember, these monsters won't drop loot if they're low on health and do a suicidal explosion.
So take em out fast or just be at a much higher level. By the way, have Rikki's skill tree unlock the increase rate of silver chest drops.

Alternatively, you can trade for the item from Norara but only after
she migrates to Colony 6
with affinity level at 4 stars.

It looks like Japan does love Xenoblade despite the low sales of the game. Famitsu Reader's Poll of top 50 favorite Nintendo games:

1. Super Mario Bros. NES
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64
3. Super Mario 64 N64
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES
5. Mother 2 SNES
6. Xenoblade Wii
7. Legend of Zelda NES
8. Super Mario RPG SNES
9. Smash Bros. Melee GC
10. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii

Xenoblade sold 161k copies by the end of 2010 in Japan. It's also the third most pirated game of 2011 with 950k downloads.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think you can get light rain elements by going to either Bionis Leg or better yet, Satorl Marsh . When it is raining, look for an aqua nebula to kill. Remember, these monsters won't drop loot if they're low on health and do a suicidal explosion.
So take em out fast or just be at a much higher level. By the way, have Rikki's skill tree unlock the increase rate of silver chest drops.

Alternatively, you can trade for the item from Norara but only after
she migrates to Colony 6
with affinity level at 4 stars.

It looks like Japan does love Xenoblade despite the low sales of the game. Famitsu Reader's Poll of top 50 favorite Nintendo games:

1. Super Mario Bros. NES
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64
3. Super Mario 64 N64
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES
5. Mother 2 SNES
6. Xenoblade Wii
7. Legend of Zelda NES
8. Super Mario RPG SNES
9. Smash Bros. Melee GC
10. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii

Xenoblade sold 161k copies by the end of 2010 in Japan. It's also the third most pirated game of 2011 with 950k downloads.

It's still the most successful non-Xenoblade game for MonolithSoft. And that DS Dragon Ball game.

Thanks for all the help, I managed to get one from a Aqua Nebulae (I must be missing something though, I was a much higher level than it, but I was doing very little damage to them)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the help, I managed to get one from a Aqua Nebulae (I must be missing something though, I was a much higher level than it, but I was doing very little damage to them)

They are ether-based enemies, highly resistant to physical attacks but weak to ether damage. A tutorial about that should have popped up at some point on Bionis Leg.

VerTiGo

Banned
There was a thread a few days ago about the most torrented games of the year.

Such a shame, but kinda inevitable.

Yeah but things like these matter. It could be part of the number of reasons its being released in NA at all. If it's so heavily pirated that still means people want it and like it. It's good for Monolith Soft and their reputation; that is if the game is that good.

Pre-ordered and paid in full.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do I need to buy a classic controller to play this game?

No, it plays fine with the remote + nunchuck, it just has worse camera controls (but better control in battle since you can move and select arts at the same time more easily). Classic controller is pretty much the opposite, harder to move and select arts at the same time, but better camera control.

Either control scheme works fine.

Oxx

If second-stick camera-control is a deal-breaker for you: definitely.

If not, the Wii remote and nunchuk do the job.

They are ether-based enemies, highly resistant to physical attacks but weak to ether damage. A tutorial about that should have popped up at some point on Bionis Leg.

I don't really get Ether, is it only
Sharla
that uses it (I only have 4 team members so far), I guess I will have to look through the help pages (the game has way too much stuff to do its almost over-whelming).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sharla
that uses it (I only have 4 team members so far), I guess I will have to look through the help pages (the game has way too much stuff to do its almost over-whelming).

Other party members will have Ether-based attacks. Right now you probably don't have many (or any) effective ones. Next couple characters you get will have some.

Other party members will have Ether-based attacks. Right now you probably don't have many (or any) effective ones. Next couple characters you get will have some.

Sweet, I like how people not in your party still level up, so you aren't tied to a particular team.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying the game though, I'm not really a RPG fan but this has hooked me completely.

Jokeropia

Is anyone else as slow as me? 70+ hours in and I'm just about to enter Eryth Sea. I just can't help running through all towns every now and then to check if there are any new quests or if I can increase my area affinity or create some new affinity links between people.

I'm glad they made the clock able to exceed 99:59 in the PAL version, even if the game is now listed in the Nintendo Channel so you can check playtime there as well.
My savefile landed at 225 hours in the end, but I've pretty much done everything you can do in one playthrough.

Fucking Epic.

So I logged into the European Nintendo Channel yesterday, and I noted that the average total playtime for Xenoblade is only 38 hours. Considering that the games takes about a 95 hours to complete, tons of people must have just quite half-way through.

For shame. :(

So I logged into the European Nintendo Channel yesterday, and I noted that the average total playtime for Xenoblade is only 38 hours. Considering that the games takes about a 95 hours to complete, tons of people must have just quite half-way through.

I stopped playing it at 60 hours in. Skyward Sword came out, Mario Kart 7 came out, the holiday trip,... I don't know If I can get back into the game. At this point in the story, I don't know if I even want to as it seems the game consists of mere fillers, and most of the motivation to go on vanished
after you find out seventh is alive and can be healed

wsippel

Banned
Sharla
Look at the symbols. Some arts have faint marking in the background (a horizontal bar I believe). Those are ether based arts.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped playing it at 60 hours in. Skyward Sword came out, Mario Kart 7 came out, the holiday trip,... I don't know If I can get back into the game. At this point in the story, I don't know if I even want to as it seems the game consists of mere fillers, and most of the motivation to go on vanished
after you find out seventh is alive and can be healed

Actually the biggest plot point in the entire game comes up a while after that. The areas before it are kind of bland though compared to the ones earlier on.

And I'd say 95 is a bit on the high side to be an average completion time. Probably closer to 60-70 hours, I doubt most people are going to do a ton of side quests for most of the game.

Given how it logs when you visit the channel and there isn't that much incentive to visit. That said, I logged 118 hours for the cause and noticed it gets number of sessions wrong. It counts multiple sessions on the same day as 1 session. So my 44 sessions became like 18.

Time graphs would be nice to see if it is a load of people who played a few hours in dragging the average down.

I'd say if you mainline the game you could do it in sub 50 hours.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I finished the game around 80 something hours. Could have pushed it down to 50 probably if I rushed through, or extended it to 120 if I wanted to go back and quest, quest, quest. Looking forward to playing + file next year.

Actually the biggest plot point in the entire game comes up a while after that. The areas before it are kind of bland though compared to the ones earlier on.

And I'd say 95 is a bit on the high side to be an average completion time. Probably closer to 60-70 hours, I doubt most people are going to do a ton of side quests for most of the game.

Actually, i completed the game at over a 100 hours myself. And I thought I didn't do that many sidequests either. lol

Tried to pre-order the game today, but they said it wasn't in their system. The guy said he wasn't even sure it was coming to Canada despite the fact I pointed out that it's available on their very own web site. :/

Tried to pre-order the game today, but they said it wasn't in their system. The guy said he wasn't even sure it was coming to Canada despite the fact I pointed out that it's available on their very own web site. :/
Assuming this was Gamestop/EBgames Canada:

It is in the system, just not in the easy-to-use preorder screen.

Give him this SKU number: 705128
Ask him to make the order from your account(by punching in the SKU) or by the look up screen. No idea why you have to use the roundabout way to preorder it, but this should work.

heringer

Just finished. Around 70 hours.

Kudos to Monolith for delivering such a masterpiece of a game. I honestly think it's the best JRPG ever made.

The ending is beautiful. DAT song...

Sorry if I post here, but the thread is big and I don't know if the news is old or not.
Monolith Soft has updated its website with a picture, probably linked to the new year, but might it be related to a new project? Or it's just a random artwork? Can some jGaffer translate?

top_newyear.jpg

polg

It's over... just amazing. I love this game so much.

My GOTY without a doubt.

106 hours, Started playing in July 2011... obviously I don't have much time to play because life gets in the way ^_^

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me with the journey!

I just finished it in 60 hours (gonna do a NG/NG+ when the US version comes out), and this game is definitely one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. The game NEVER felt like it was dragging on or anything, which is such a breath of fresh air compared to most modern JRPGs.

Seriously, this is such an amazing game. I wanted to keep doing side quests, but once the story picked up, I couldn't resist getting more.

ajim

How does it play with the remote and chuck?

I use the CC but it plays really well with the remote and chuck, some things I found a little better (can't recall what they were, they were many hours ago lol).

But I'm one of those few people that prefers playing Monster Hunter Tri with the remote/chuck instead of the CC.

heringer

I think it plays better with the remote and nunchuk, actually.

Yeah, camera control can be a pain, but the agility I have in battles more than make up for it, imo.

Anyway, could someone link me to that best JRPG's thread? I want some suggestions for a new JRPG. Is Baten Kaitos Origins worth it? I played the first one and thought it was OK, but Xenoblade is so fantastic I'm willing to give a chance to anything made by Monolith.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to keep track of the side quests? Like are you able to change where the arrow is pointing?

(Noob)

You mean the orange arrow at the top of the screen? That's for the main quest/story. Side quests don't give you any sort of direction like that.

Yeah, camera control can be a pain, but the agility I have in battles more than make up for it, imo.

Anyway, could someone link me to that best JRPG's thread? I want some suggestions for a new JRPG. Is Baten Kaitos Origins worth it? I played the first one and thought it was OK, but Xenoblade is so fantastic I'm willing to give a chance to anything made by Monolith.

BK:O is supposed to be a lot better than the first game, I haven't played it myself though.

ivysaur12

Banned

Yeah, I would put BKO in the group of the best JRPGs from last gen, along with Persona 4, Covenant, and FF12 before it fell apart near the end. It's easily the best Gamecube RPG and has one of the best JRPG localizations of all time. Honestly.

I just got to
Frontier Village
& wow, that place looks amazing. I'm loving the design in this game (aside from some of the armour, Shulk seems to always be wearing womens clothes).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Aw too bad. Well thanks for the reply.

Btw, really enjoying the game so far! (~2hr in)

Don't stress out on side quest either. For collection quest, you'll often just find what you need by playing the game, and quest that are 'Timed' (ie; need to be completed before progressing past a specific point in the story, or they're loss) are few and far between. And they're actually marked with a little clock on the Quest screen.

I just did a few side quest that were simple enough and moved on, coming back to more later when my knowledge of the area was better.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't stress out on side quest either. For collection quest, you'll often just find what you need by playing the game, and quest that are 'Timed' (ie; need to be completed before progressing past a specific point in the story, or they're loss) are few and far between. And they're actually marked with a little clock on the Quest screen.

I just did a few side quest that were simple enough and moved on, coming back to more later when my knowledge of the area was better.

Also, regarding timed sidequests, the game always informs you when they are going to expire, even if it's not directly.

Any time the game gives you an "Are you sure" type option, make sure you've done any available timed quests you want to finish. It only happens a few times though.

Wichu

Timed quests are the bane of my life. There's a quest chain relatively early on that I didn't start because I thought I'd come back to the area later to finish the quests (none of the quests I got there were timed). Turns out that that particular quest chain is linked to another location that does have a time limit on quests, so now it will just have to wait for my next playthrough :(

I'm currently just finishing up my characters (getting good equipment and gems, and maxing out arts and skill trees) while doing quests. Most of my characters are max level already (just Shulk and Dunban left), but I still get destroyed by even the lowest-level of the 'superbosses'. Doesn't help that according to the spreadsheet, it's the only monster which drops rank 5 Night Vision material... Does anyone know what drops rank 4 Night Vision crystals? I'd love to be able to even hit it consistently - Agility Up gems don't seem to be enough. Kinda dreading going against the even harder ones.

So I picked up Xenoblade again after selling BF3 and finishing Skyward Sword and well:

How on earth am I supposed to kill this piece of shit Gadolt? I am at LV 67, almost 68 and he kills everyone on my team in less than 3 hits. Let alone that his two guardians seem to endure so much punishment that I really don't know how to beat him.
Sure, I could just brute force it like with the rest of the game, but I really don't want to level grind again. It's ridiculous how long it takes to grind to a new level now, even when most enemies are around my level now or slightly below (65-68) The game has so much filler. Up until now it was kind of acceptable, but the novelty of the huge worlds has worn off for me, and the game feels more like work, like a chore rather than genuine entertainment.

I'm definetly not going to grind again, so I might just sell the game and watch the rest on youtube, as I simply don't feel compelled to put up with this shit.

Top Bottom