• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Sophia

Feep said:
8 or 16, folks? Gonna head down to Fry's next week. (This depends on whether or not Xenoblade is dual-layer, I guess.)

Probably 8, but I'd hold off until we find out the exact size of the disc given that it could be dual-layered.

I wish I had an external harddrive.

Mlatador said:
And about the pre-order posters from GAME.CO.UK, it's important to note that ONLY people who pre-ordered the game IN STORE (NOT ONLINE!) will get these posters.

Other than that, very well done!
WHAT?
Are you sure?

LevityNYC

Banned
Hiltz said:
Got the game pre-ordered, but made a deal with my friend to split the cost. In additon, we'll only play it on his console once he does the mod thing to it (I'm too scared that I'd f@ck mine up).

Its really moron proof. The letterbomb method took me 5 minutes and I've never done anything like that before.

Sophia

ShellyDeKiller said:
WHAT?
Are you sure?

Yup. We're sure. It was mentioned in the previous thread.

LevityNYC said:
Its really moron proof. The letterbomb method took me 5 minutes and I've never done anything like that before.

It's more than moron proof. As long as you follow GAF's guides, you cannot screw anything up. Period.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Feep said:
(laugh) Somehow, despite the name, I temporarily forgot I could also use external USB drives with this thing. I'm an idiot.

Well hot damn, time to rip my 18 Wii games
Nice! My 21 games take up about 54 gb, so use that as a rule of thumb. 500 gb hdd you'd b laughing.

If you haven't hacked yet, you do need an SD card in general to deal with all the homebrew stuff. Any size, really, unless you want to load it up with emulators/apps.

BocoDragon

Aeana said:
I use a couple of SDHC cards for USB Loader. I have a 4GB and an 8GB and I've only ever had one game that wouldn't fit (Metroid Prime Trilogy). For that one I just edited the ISO to remove MP3 since I already own that separately. Other dual layer games like Other M fit (barely) on the 8GB card, so I haven't really felt compelled to change to anything else. Convenience of a hard drive would be nice, but I don't really feel like spending the money.
I bought a USB hdd on a whim recently, and it's changed my gaming life. I actually play my Wii games now. Aside from laziness, its so much better to "discover" what games you own (games get lost on the shelf :p) and fire it up, all from your couch.

Luigiv

Hiltz said:
Got the game pre-ordered, but made a deal with my friend to split the cost. In additon, we'll only play it on his console once he does the mod thing to it (I'm too scared that I'd f@ck mine up).
It's impossible to fuck up such a basic mod. To circumvent region encoding you only need to install the Homebrew channel using the new letterbomb method. Once you've got the Homebrew Channel installed, no further mods are needed. Just throw GekkoOS onto your SD card and you're good to go.

As long as you're not installing CIOS's (Which are required for running backup discs, dvd players or usb loaders but not for non input-output related homebrew) there is no way fuck up.

BocoDragon said:
8GB card at least. The Japan version was 4.7 gb or so, and with English voice, perhaps more.
4.7GB isn't the actual size of the game. 4.7GB is the total capacity of a single layer Wii disc, so an ISO of that size is almost certainly unscrubbed and still includes the filler file. The actual game should use less data then that. Still I wouldn't be surprised if dual voice did push the game into the dual layer territory.

Reknoc

Nice OP. Gonna be camped out at my door on Thursday. Shame about the posters being in-store only but I guess I'd rather get it a day earlier and order it online.

BocoDragon

Luigiv said:
4.7GB isn't the actual size of the game. 4.7GB is the total capacity of a single layer Wii disc, so an ISO of that size is almost certainly unscrubbed and still includes the filler file. The actual game should use less data then that. Still I wouldn't be surprised if dual voice did push the game into the dual layer territory.
I had a brain fart.... it's actually 4.37 Gb and I said 4.7 probably because some part of my brain thinks DVD = 4.7.

Sophia

Yeah, it's 4.37 GB. If the English release isn't dual-layered, I'll wonder what kind of voodoo magic they used to get both language tracks in there. =p

Hiltz

Luigiv said:
It's impossible to fuck up such a basic mod. To circumvent region encoding you only need to install the Homebrew channel using the new letterbomb method. Once you've got the Homebrew Channel installed, no further mods are needed. Just throw GekkoOS onto your SD card and you're good to go.

As long as you're not installing CIOS's (Which are required for running backup discs, dvd players or usb loaders but not for non input-output related homebrew) there is no way fuck up.

Okay, I think I will try the letterbomb method. However, I'll have to wait to buy an SD card first. Speaking of which, is SanDisk 2GB SD Memory Card fine to use ?

Luigiv

BocoDragon said:
I had a brain fart.... it's actually 4.37 Gb and I said 4.7 probably because some part of my brain thinks DVD = 4.7.
That sounds more reasonable. That's about 330MB of free space so it wouldn't be impossible to fit a second voice track in with a good enough compression algorithm though I'm definitely expecting it'll be dual layer.

Luigiv

Hiltz said:
Okay, I think I will try the letterbomb method. However, I'll have to wait to buy an SD card first. Speaking of which, is SanDisk 2GB SD Memory Card fine to use ?
Sure is.

Edit: Blah, double post.

The LE is only exclusive to GAME in the uk. (e.g. amazon Germany has it).

Really looking forward to this. Need to finish Infamous 2, then either wait for this or start with Catherine!

Clipper

Feep said:
Just homebrewed the crap out of my Wii.

If I want to rip the .iso to improve loadtime, would I need a 4 GB, 8 GB, or 16 GB card to do it? And I would have to use NTFS, but I assume the Configurable Boot Loader can deal with that.
8GB is definitely enough, but 4GB might be enough. You don't need NTFS unless you want to use Dolphin; FAT32 will be fine to play the game in Cfg as it automatically splits the game into multiple files. The instructions on the Cfg page give you all the information you need to know whether you end up going NTFS or not.

And Cfg is Configurable USB Loader, not Boot Loader, to avoid any confusion.

Luigiv said:
That sounds more reasonable. That's about 330MB of free space so it wouldn't be impossible to fit a second voice track in with a good enough compression algorithm though I'm definitely expecting it'll be dual layer.
The 4.37GB is probably ignoring the update partition, which is usually about 300MB these days. My guess is that it is filling the entire single layer disc.

BocoDragon

Clipper said:
8GB is definitely enough, but 4GB might be enough. You don't need NTFS unless you want to use Dolphin; FAT32 will be fine to play the game in Cfg as it automatically splits the game into multiple files. The instructions on the Cfg page give you all the information you need to know whether you end up going NTFS or not.

And Cfg it's Configurable USB Loader, not Boot Loader, to avoid any confusion.
Yeah I was re-reading my post and I went with "boot loader" too, lol.

Feep

Banned
Man, I *wish* I could play this on Dolphin. I've seen pictures; it looks insane.

My old 2008 Dual Core just isn't enough, though. My GPU is great, but I don't have enough money to upgrade to an i5/i7. = (

Clipper

Luigiv said:
Would you mind pointing people to the GWHT FAQ pages and/or a combination of the Launch page followed by the Region Free one, rather than directly to LetterBomb in future? It would help us greatly with the number of people getting confused by red wire/blue wire and what to do after they get the HBC.

Aeana

Feep said:
Man, I *wish* I could play this on Dolphin. I've seen pictures; it looks insane.

My old 2008 Dual Core just isn't enough, though. My GPU is great, but I don't have enough money to upgrade to an i5/i7. = (
Yeah, I couldn't run the Japanese game at full speed in Dolphin with my Athlon II X4 either. Sad times.

Luigiv

Clipper said:
Would you mind pointing people to the GWHT FAQ pages and/or a combination of the Launch page followed by the Region Free one, rather than directly to LetterBomb in future? It would help us greatly with the number of people getting confused by red wire/blue wire and what to do after they get the HBC.
Maybe, though honestly I'm not a fan of the Gaf Homebrew wiki myself and there'll be a million other people linking to that stuff throughout this thread anyway.

SuomiDude

I have a new Wii ready for this game. Hopefully I have enough time to play it as well :D Autumn could be pretty busy time for me at work, but we'll see.

Btw, I think this is the first console RPG I've bought since Secret of Mana (back when it was released) for me. EDIT: Bah, I just remembered all those Paper Marios and Tales of Symphonia, but anyway.

Nix

Banned
cooljeanius said:
EuroGAF, we're counting on you to make sure this game sells enough for it to get localized in NA. Keep spreading the word.

Hmmm, Magic eightball says: Reggie laugh* No.

Import the thing, it's fucking worth it.

SuomiDude said:
I have a new Wii ready for this game. Hopefully I have enough time to play it as well :D

i'll have absolutely 0 time to play it, but i've still preordered the boxed edition lol.

over christmas maybe i'll get a chance :)

Zwei

cooljeanius said:
EuroGAF, we're counting on you to make sure this game sells enough for it to get localized in NA.

Or else we'll continue to make graphics like this:

lhWZK.jpg

Aeana

Images like that always read like they're by people who haven't played the game and are just reading from the back of the box or something.

Oxx

First Wii game since SMG2!

I'm trying to keep expectations in check. I just want a solid RPG experience. The localisation drama is getting a bit out of hand.

McNum

One week to go. Yay!

Got a Limited Edition preordered, I wonder which variant of Limited Edition is going to Denmark. I'm hoping Controller bundle, but we'll see. I'm just happy to get the game. It's been a while since I was exited for a JRPG, I think the last time was me looking at Valkyria Chronicles for over a year until the the PS3 Slim was released.

What I've seen of Xenoblade Chronicles looks interesting. For an explorer-type like me, it looks like an awesome game. I hope I haven't been spoiled too much, but that little detail from the battle mecanics in the Iwata Asks was probably what sold me the game. What detail? This:
ALERT! *Flashforward: character gets killed by boss* See that bar on the screen? If you don't do something about it that WILL happen! Do something! NOW!
What an interesting way to make a fight challenging, yet fair. It's almost as if you get the rematch during the first fight.

I do have this split feeling of sympathy and schadenfreude towards all of you US players. I know the feeling of seeing a great game released in English and then never seeing it released locally or hopelessly delayed. It's annoying. I want to play Catherine, but you know, I can't. Not without importing, but at least it's coming some time. On the flipside, now YOU can see how that feels. Eh, at least the Wii is easily moddable now, no screwdriver required. I hope you get a proper US release, though. If the game is as good as its rumor, it deserves one. I'll be doing my part to make it a success here in Europe.

Reknoc

Watched the NoE "Let's Play", not really a let's play but definitely a good showing of some of the games features and voice acting.

Voice acting reminds me too much of Everybody's Golf: World Tour so I may have to take advantage of it being dual audio.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
EatChildren said:
Sniper rifle chick is pretty sexy.

Even better is that
she's the healer, heals with the gun.

I can't wait to play this game again. Definitely in my top ten games ever. It will be a little weird this time around since I'm going to try playing it in English with German text (to help practice my German.) I hope the English dialogue is at least bearable...

Keasar

Brannon said:

All this time, and I'm just NOW getting the significance of the cover. That giant monstrosity in the background is another CONTINENT. Wonder if you can explore it too...
rrE05.png

Wait wha~?

Edit: Oh hey look, I am a member now. :D

czk

Typical COD gamer
Sorry for my ignorance but does this game has any meaningful plot or is it just a quest heavy big RPG sandbox with an optional storyline (like for example: Morrowind or Oblivion)?

Will somebody who's in love with the BG Saga, Fallout 1, 2, Chrono Trigger or SNES and PSX era FF's appreciate it?

I like an interesting and well paced story in my RPGs.

Luigiv

czk said:
Sorry for my ignorance but does this game has any meaningful plot or is it just a quest heavy big RPG sandbox with an optional storyline (like for example: Morrowind or Oblivion)?

Will somebody who's in love with the BG Saga, Fallout 1, 2, Chrono Trigger or SNES and PSX era FF's appreciate it?

I've yet to play the game myself, so I'm not really sure but given that this is a JRPG I assume that the main story acts as the backbone of the experience and you'll need to advance it in order to progress. However there are a lot of side quests so you're free to take your time in getting there.

Here's what Bebpo had to say about the story in his review of the Japanese version, if you're interested in learning more.

Bebpo said:
Story:
+Very interesting plot set in a very unique world.
+Great pacing, exciting cutscenes, mysteries, foreshadowing, twists
+Smart writing. You will not find a more intelligently written rpg this gen. The game avoids most cliches and stereotypes and at no point will you roll your eyes or have to deal with stupid characters acting idiotically. The characters (even the lead) are all intelligent people and act accordingly.
+Good length. Story size is probably about the size of two of the Xenosaga games combined. Smaller in scope and length than Xenogears though.
+Satisfying tale from start to finish. The story is great from the start and never dips even once before the end credits roll. A grand adventure.
+Good cast. Everyone is likeable, no one is generic game/anime stereotype. Character depth doesn't go as deep as something like Xenosaga.
+ or - depending on what you want. XB's story is great and cinematic, but it's not melodramatic like XG/XS/FF/KH. You will not get white room speeches with piano green grass playing. I think this is the biggest change from Takahashi's previous works. XB is not any more mainstream or less ambitious than XG/XS. The story is just as original and creative and well told, it's just that Takahashi has moved away from trying to pull the emotional strings of his audience and make melodrama. Instead it's simply a story where things happen and you enjoy them and watch the story unfold.

CoolS

czk said:

According to what I read so far, it has one of the best stories in a long time in JRPGs with very believable characters.

Edit: beaten

Chesskid1

Banned
Takahashi stated in an interview during the game's development that he felt the cutscene-heavy approach of his previous games was a dead end, and that Xenoblade would be a game where the goal was first and foremost to create something that was fun to play. This turned out to be far from an empty promise. While there are some lengthy cutscenes and a hefty storyline to get through, Xenoblade sets its sights firmly on being a game first and a story second, and succeeds admirably in this goal.

seems good, not too many/long cutscenes a la xenosaga but still a good amount to keep players satisfied.

Keasar

Luigiv said:
I've yet to play the game myself, so I'm not really sure but given that this is a JRPG I assume that the main story acts as the backbone of the experience and you'll need to advance it in order to progress. However there are a lot of side quests so you're free to take your time in getting there.

here's what Bebpo had to say about the story in his review of the Japanese version, if you're interested in learning more.
So basically, no this
rKNuY.png

but actual sensible and likeable characters? Cause that thing there made me shut off a game faster then anything I have ever experienced.

syoaran

Keasar said:
but actual sensible and likeable characters? Cause that thing there made me shut off a game faster then anything I have ever experienced.

Thats always so subjective though. But at least if there is someone like her, she will have a hot british accent.

I'm still wondering if I should re-plug my Wii in and pick up the collectors edition, or try and get this running with the Dolphin on my i5 760..... Decisions!

Redrum_82

About the controls, is the classic controller really necessary? Are the wiimote controls that bad?
Can I use a gamecube controller instead?

Aeana

Redrum_82 said:
About the controls, is the classic controller really necessary? Are the wii remote controls that bad?
Can I use a gamecube controller instead?
No, they're not that bad. In fact, I very much preferred to play with the remote/nunchuck setup. It's very comfortable.

Keasar

syoaran said:
Thats always so subjective though. But at least if there is someone like her, she will have a hot british accent.
Even that wouldnt save her, I am still mentally brainfucked by her absolute incompetence to be a near-human being. So many random stupid things she constantly did. Like a favorite part of mine where you and your companions
have travelled through a crystalline hellscape in the early part of the game for the last 30-40 minutes. Everything is crystal, the water, the enemies, even the goddamn fire, whereupon she suddenly bursts out "Oooh, look, its all made of crystal!" ........
captainobvious.jpg

And that is just the start of it. At that point since people called Final Fantasy "the greatest RPG franchise ever", I lost faith in japanese writing. I really hope Xenoblade proves me wrong as I have already ordered it.

I think I'm going to wait until everyone has actually played this before buying it, it seems like a lot of you are only seeing the hype surrounding it.

But if I happen to change my mind, the normal classic controller will be fine, right?

Spiffy_1st said:
I think I'm going to wait until everyone has actually played this before buying it, it seems like a lot of you are only seeing the hype surrounding it.

But if I happen to change my mind, the normal classic controller will be fine, right?

The CC Pro isn't any different to the original, its just got handles.

Top Bottom