• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L~A

You are tweet. Want translation?

[小島]前回に続いて小ネタをひとつ。どちらかというと4月6日に呟いた話に近いところで。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/588652147329224704

頭の装備を見た目に反映させない設定(実際は被っているけれど表示ナシ)があります。イベントシーンでキャラクターの顔が見えにくいのが嫌だという方もこれで安心です。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/588652206670290944

れは「ファッション装備」と違って、1周目から設定可能です。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/588652274672476160

Contrary to the option for Fashion equipment which is not available until NG+, you can remove your helmet while keeping the bonuses in NG. Quite cool for event scenes.

That's the gist of it.

Contrary to the option for Fashion equipment which is not available until NG+, you can remove your helmet while keeping the bonuses in NG. Quite cool for event scenes.

That's the gist of it.

I do like them limiting turning all the gear into just fashion stuff. I mean I don't like that it's even in ng+, but oh well, can't win em all.

Finished part 4 of Happy People. Not sure if I can handle much more of this guy's writing.

Also, apparently there's going to be some guide to the first five 'story chapters' in Tuesday's Dengeki. Not sure where he found this image, but iYakku's going to be getting the issue, so...yeah.

chadboban

Oh cool, someone made an unofficial commercial for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYn5R6441HA

Finished part 4 of Happy People. Not sure if I can handle much more of this guy's writing.

Also, apparently there's going to be some guide to the first five 'story chapters' in Tuesday's Dengeki. Not sure where he found this image, but iYakku's going to be getting the issue, so...yeah.

Great! And thanks again for all this work. Don't worry, only ten days left til you can play it :)

Zero²

Arigatou
By the way, didnt we know how many chapters XCX will have? I remember Takahashi mentioning it when he was comparing it to XC.

TheMoon

Zero²;160775125 said:
Arigatou
By the way, didnt we know how many chapters XCX will have? I remember Takahashi mentioning it when he was comparing it to XC.

16? I remember something about 16. Or was that Xenoblade?

moolamb

Oh this story really is awful, but really thank you for translating it anyway sir! I admire your perseverance :)

Zero²

Yeah, the story is a bit silly, but it makes sense since we are seeing it through Lyn's eyes, and she is a kid and all.
I wonder if the "New Order" will show up in the game at all haha

Zero²;160794733 said:
Yeah, the story is a bit silly, but it makes sense since we are seeing it through Lyn's eyes, and she is a kid and all.
I wonder if the "New Order" will show up in the game at all haha

It seems to me like the guy (Hyodo) is only acting to provide an extra layer of characterization and write in details etc. That's why he's writing mundane stories as opposed to real stuff.

The biggest effect multi-player is having on the single player experience is probably the use of the silent, customizable protagonist. I don't think some gameplay mode announced a few weeks before launch is the heavyweight in this case.

Worked in Fire Emblem, SMT and Chrono Trigger tbh, dont know why people are all up in arms about having a customized or silent protagonist, video game stories work better in this format. They're just less linear. Havent any of you played Radiant Historia? Stocke is almost a silent protagonist, he talks way more by the end of the game though lol.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Worked in Fire Emblem, SMT and Chrono Trigger tbh, dont know why people are all up in arms about having a customized or silent protagonist, video game stories work better in this format. They're just less linear. Havent any of you played Radiant Historia? Stocke is almost a silent protagonist, he talks way more by the end of the game though lol.

Some of us would genuinely have preferred Crono to have spoken. Well, I mean, I don't really care much with regard to Chrono Trigger, but to this day, 20 years post-release, yeah, I'd probably have still preferred it at least a little bit. But yeah, name a game and I'll tell you I'd rather the lead weren't silent. Certainly all those you just listed, in any case.

I'm not terribly concerned about this but if I'm in either camp on the debate it'd have to be #TeamSpeak.

I seriously can't wait to have this game in my hands. I don't think I'm completely understanding how online will work exactly but it's going to be fun to figure things out for myself.

Also I really don't think we should be worrying about the story at this point! There are so many mysteries to be solved based on what glimpses we've gotten - they need to explain who the two enemy factions are, introduce everyone involved, explain why they're at war, why they want to kill humans, build up to and have a conclusion for the war, reveal why Elma/the hero mysteriously disappeared, why Elma reappeared, why the planet appeared out of nowhere, and that's not even getting to things like the girl with clothes completely different from what we've seen.

Xenoblade Chronicles had 10-11 hours of story scenes (cutscene plus spoken text box) and I can't imagine them satisfyingly tieing up all loose ends in significantly less than that amount of time for XCX. Maybe the exact process of proceeding to the next story point will be slightly different but at least we should still get the same amount of time spent in story scenes. Maybe a smaller ratio of story to gameplay though since there's SO MUCH to do.

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

There are 3 warring factions(Varias, Humans and the other race) and 2 other friendlies ( Manon and Nopon)

I still think people are focusing too much on the silent part and not on the customizable part. That is the real killer for me. I've already said my piece on this though, several times, so not looking to derail again.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I still think people are focusing too much on the silent part and not on the customizable part. That is the real killer for me. I've already said my piece on this though, several times, so not looking to derail again.

I've generally agreed with you, for what it's worth. I've just tried to stay out of it is all. But... yep.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
customization makes waaaayyyy more sense because of multiplayer, other than that, theres literally nothing wrong with it, pretty much all customization characters have a preset that is usually the canon main characer that you can choose from if you dont want to make a unique character.

Some of us would genuinely have preferred Crono to have spoken. Well, I mean, I don't really care much with regard go Chrono Trigger, but to this day, 20 years post-release, yeah, I'd probably have still preferred it at least a little bit. But yeah, name a game and I'll tell you I'd rather the lead weren't silent. Certainly all those you just listed, in any case.

I'm not terribly concerned about this but if I'm in either camp on the debate it'd have to be #TeamSpeak.

Honestly its a tool for a type of narrative that suits more open ended gameplay rather than structured. Have you ever played FallOut? You didnt want your character speaking in that game. This game is very fallout-esque anyway.And very Chrono trigger esque as well. Overside has spoken about it very frequently here.

Games like GTA have linear stories saddled with a lot of criss cross applesauce through an open world, I personally prefer them more like this, where narrative is developed through the players gameplay, Chrono Trigger and its modern day successor Radiant Historia( Heeeeeyyyy ATLUS). It creates a tighter experience imo, especially when its done well and not simply by adding more linear plotlines to a formulated structure. Its sort of like a fail forward system that more games with QTE's should employ. Do you know what that is? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/02/04/game-of-thrones-episode-2-review-the-lost-lords/. Lets take Persona, Devil Survivor and Mainline SMT here for a bit. I feel they kinda simplified it a bit in SMT IV compared to in Strange Journey, Nocturne, Devil Summoner and even Devil Survivor. The contributing stories that influenced the shifts in ideology that dominated the game. SMT IV was a game where the overall theme was "losing your sense of individuality" and the story kind of reflected that with the 3 main characters who as they developed become people you identified with less. They started lacking a bit of their human touch y'know? So the main story felt a bit more simplified, but the backstory was developed in an exciting manner to the player( which you mainly uncovered by exploring tokyo and interacting with the citizens ) With Devil Survivor you didnt really have the same structure, the game's logic of choice was followed through dialogue with certain characters and battle decisions ( who you saved, who you let die, where you decided to go fight ect) rather than strictly through alignment like in SMT4 and Strange Journey (which lead to a more rigid narrative in SMT IV, particularly with how they made you get the neutral path.)

If Devil Survivor had multiplayer like in Fire emblem shadow dragon, I bet the protagonist would be customizable to. In reality it made little difference whether he had a set design or not. His place in the narrative was as a literal blank slate that you developed with the 3 -5 choices they gave you depending on your progression through the game and what narrative line you followed. Xenoblade Chronicles X may be a more complex version of that. Especially if this game has multiple endings.

Your point was flawed to begin with. Hell we could even use fire emblem as an example ( even though they realistically only have to write for two types of character in those games)Having a customizable protagonist with an undeveloped personality never hurt the narrative in a game where it was a focus. White knight chronicles was always shit with or without lol.

Especially not in a game like this where the narrative develops based upon your objectives in gameplay rather than the narrative being the objective of your gameplay ( like it was in Xenoblade)

customization makes waaaayyyy more sense because of multiplayer, other than that, theres literally nothing wrong with it, pretty much all customization characters have a preset that is usually the canon main characer that you can choose from if you dont want to make a unique character.
This game has 12 presets.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That's a fair and reasonable reply, I think. I see your point and I agree to an extent. But grizzled ol' me is a big fan of the Xenogears side of the coin for the most part. I like my linears and I like my chatty heroes who are predefined enough to have a significant amount of development.

Don't get me wrong, I dig Fallout. I do! But with a guy as slick as Takahashi at the helm I'd prefer he didn't go that route. Wait and see, I know. And I shall. But my gut reaction is "well, bleh. World needs more linear; I know it's kinda sacrilege to say so in the current industry climate, but... dammit."

I shall wait and I shall see.

foxuzamaki

Honestly its a tool for a type of narrative that suits more open ended gameplay rather than structured. Have you ever played FallOut? You didnt want your character speaking in that game. This game is very fallout-esque anyway.And very Chrono trigger esque as well. Overside has spoken about it very frequently here.

Games like GTA have linear stories saddled with a lot of criss cross applesauce through an open world, I personally prefer them more like this, where narrative is developed through the players gameplay, Chrono Trigger and its modern day successor Radiant Historia( Heeeeeyyyy ATLUS). It creates a tighter experience imo, especially when its done well and not simply by adding more linear plotlines to a formulated structure. Its sort of like a fail forward system that more games with QTE's should employ. Do you know what that is? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/02/04/game-of-thrones-episode-2-review-the-lost-lords/

Your point was flawed to begin with. Hell we could even use fire emblem as an example ( even though they realistically only have to write for two types of character in those games)Having a customizable protagonist with an undeveloped personality never hurt the narrative in a game where it was a focus. White knight chronicles was always shit with or without lol.

Especially not in a game like this where the narrative develops based upon your objectives in gameplay rather than the narrative being the objective of your gameplay ( like it was in Xenoblade)

This game has 12 presets.
It has 12 sure, but there is a "main" preset, same as shepard as a main preset thats used in promotion for the game and such. If cross was to get into the next smash, he would be the red-headed man they have been showing off.

It can prevent the character from ever really being part of the narrative or the focus. This doesn't make a game bad, it's just that I prefer character driven stories. It is also why my "point" can't be flawed, since it is a preference and opinion, not a point.

It has 12 sure, but there is a "main" preset, same as shepard as a main preset thats used in promotion for the game and such. If cross was to get into the next smash, he would be the red-headed man they have been showing off.

Mass Effect has two presets. This game has 12.

Theres only one "main preset" because there's not a chance in hell that they were going to advertise the game with a female on the cover

It can prevent the character from ever really being part of the narrative or the focus. This doesn't make a game bad, it's just that I prefer character driven stories. It is also why my "point" can't be flawed, since it is a preference and opinion, not a point.

Just going to point this out for you again

Games like GTA have linear stories saddled with a lot of criss cross applesauce through an open world, I personally prefer them more like this, where narrative is developed through the players gameplay, Chrono Trigger and its modern day successor Radiant Historia( Heeeeeyyyy ATLUS). It creates a tighter experience imo, especially when its done well and not simply by adding more linear plotlines to a formulated structure. Its sort of like a fail forward system that more games with QTE's should employ. Do you know what that is? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...he-lost-lords/. Lets take Persona, Devil Survivor and Mainline SMT here for a bit. I feel they kinda simplified it a bit in SMT IV compared to in Strange Journey, Nocturne, Devil Summoner and even Devil Survivor. The contributing stories that influenced the shifts in ideology that dominated the game. SMT IV was a game where the overall theme was "losing your sense of individuality" and the story kind of reflected that with the 3 main characters who as they developed become people you identified with less. They started lacking a bit of their human touch y'know? So the main story felt a bit more simplified, but the backstory was developed in an exciting manner to the player( which you mainly uncovered by exploring tokyo and interacting with the citizens ) With Devil Survivor you didnt really have the same structure, the game's logic of choice was followed through dialogue with certain characters and battle decisions ( who you saved, who you let die, where you decided to go fight ect) rather than strictly through alignment like in SMT4 and Strange Journey (which lead to a more rigid narrative in SMT IV, particularly with how they made you get the neutral path.)

If Devil Survivor had multiplayer like in Fire emblem shadow dragon, I bet the protagonist would be customizable to. In reality it made little difference whether he had a set design or not. His place in the narrative was as a literal blank slate that you developed with the 3 -5 choices they gave you depending on your progression through the game and what narrative line you followed. Xenoblade Chronicles X may be a more complex version of that. Especially if this game has multiple endings.

And what about other types of stories? Not all stories have to be character driven. I feel too many jrpgs are character driven these days imo.

That's a fair and reasonable reply, I think. I see your point and I agree to an extent. But grizzled ol' me is a big fan of the Xenogears side of the coin for the most part. I like my linears and I like my chatty heroes who are predefined enough to have a significant amount of development.

Don't get me wrong, I dig Fallout. I do! But with a guy as slick as Takahashi at the helm I'd prefer he didn't go that route. Wait and see, I know. And I shall. But my gut reaction is "well, bleh. World needs more linear; I know it's kinda sacrilege to say so in the current industry climate, but... dammit."

I shall wait and I shall see.

Here is your answer. Takahashi. I doubt very much has changed in his design philosophies, besides realizing 6 part epics are impractical, and that gameplay and story should be balanced ideally. Obviously they created silent customizable character for online, and yeah it's going to have repercussions on the story... but this is Takahashi we're talking about. He's not going to sacrifice story for online, and the fact that they still chose to go with a customizable character gives me some degree of confidence that they balanced it out and are happy with their final design.

The biggest change is the WAY the story will be told. We honestly don't have very many examples of well told stories revolving around a customizable character, since those types of games generally tend to focus on the open-world structure and shenanigans.... but this is the game to put all those things together more than any other. I'm concerned, but at the same time I'm expecting a solid story.

If nothing else, this should be a good indicator of the depth and detail going into the story, even if this is a 'short', it's all relevant background material: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NZO8F6qMK8cWr8LYhj4g4P7Quu-_jZadkQXyFBaLm6g/pub

In the end, I think everyone's discussed these points to death, all we can do now is wait the 10 or so days and see where the story takes us :p

Just going to point this out for you again

And what about other types of stories? Not all stories have to be character driven. I feel too many jrpgs are character driven these days imo.

What exactly about them? I try hard to make it clear that when I express my opinion that it is just my opinion and personal preference. I have stated what I like in a jRPG, not what they all need to be, or what you should want. Also time and time again I have stated that these are my worries and fears about how the game will turn out because of having a customized character, not how it defiantly will turn out. I've even gone so far as to state that I am choosing to believe the worst case scenario for how it can effect the story so that I can't be disappointed when the game comes out, and only presently surprised if it is better.

Sorry I didn't respond to that quoted part of your post, I didn't feel there was anything in it relevant to what my preference is about that wouldn't also be far off topic here but here we go. I do not feel that having a liner set plot line is the same as those completely story based Telltale games as you implied, and the difference is in the gameplay. What makes me worried (there's that word again) about the gameplay driven narratives is how it normally comes at the expense of the overall story. This is again, not always the case. You also have to admit that most of the gameplay driven narrative games that do not sacrifice the overall story or narrative are either decades old western games and/or have set characters. Even if you believe that those set characters could have been customizable. This is also all irreverent to what we have been talking about since the choice of a gameplay driven narrative is separate from a non set character, but since you wanted a response I wanted to give it to you. I also once again have to point out that this is all based on my worst case scenario worries about the story and narrative possibilities of this game because of the addition of a customizable character.

It is also amusing that I am still arguing this since from what has been shown of the game I wouldn't have been the biggest fan of the set character anyway, what with how shonen it all looks. Guess I also have to say that even though it seems that I am railing against customizable characters and the looseness of story it can lead to I still enjoy the kind of games that use them as well. It just isn't what I come to jrpgs or Tetsuya Takahashi for. My trust in him and how good the exploration already looks is what has made this game a day one preorder for me, even if I seem down on it.

Obviously they created silent customizable character for online, and yeah it's going to have repercussions on the story... but this is Takahashi we're talking about.

Well at least you are willing to admit that it can have story repercussions instead of just dismissing the topic altogether as something crazy to be worried about.

foxuzamaki

Mass Effect has two presets. This game has 12.

Theres only one "main preset" because there's not a chance in hell that they were going to advertise the game with a female on the cover

Well that last part you pointed out seems weird, the one thats getting the advertising on the cover is the mech itself, with the 3 main characters standing beside it and arent obviously the focus, and with that, there are 2 main characters that are both female, and beyond that, whenever theres footage shown Elma is the one getting the most coverage. The black strong female that the colony relies on when in a pinch and has her own squad that you, cross is apart of.

Overside

Banned
How many people complaining about how a single customizable character will ruin Takahashis ability to write can honestly say they understood what actually happened in Xenoblade?

Vena

How many people complaining about how a single customizable character will ruin Takahashis ability to write can honestly say they understood what actually happened in Xenoblade?

Me! Oh wait, I don't care about the details of a voiceless MC because I played Half-Life.

... And Dark Souls.

L~A

HUGE TWEETED.

[小島]XenobladeX発売まであと9日!…と、中途半端なカウントダウンですみません。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/590062793673420801

なるべくゲームの中身について呟くつもりでいましたが、割と細かいネタ中心でまだまだご紹介しきれていない気がします。とは言いつつ、僕のツィートはここで一旦終了です。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/590062833401864192

皆さんがXenobladeXを楽しんでプレイしてくれることを心から願っています。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/590062886631788544

foxuzamaki

Well it might be erma, or could stay elma, depends on if takahashi intended elma to be the english name or not.

edit: oh shit, new tweets

Kojima being boring again, apparently this was his last tweetcluster?

More importantly, Dengeki confirming things about the "guide" in their next issue. It's 50 pages, and includes information on 'systems,' the first bit of the story, a giant map, and some stuff about the avatar/createacharacter.

Renewed

Kojima being boring again, apparently this was his last tweetcluster?

More importantly, Dengeki confirming things about the "guide" in their next issue. It's 50 pages, and includes information on 'systems,' the first bit of the story, a giant map, and some stuff about the avatar/createacharacter.

Definitely a lot more *there when compared to* Famitsu... not sure if I'm strong enough to look away though :<

Zolbrod

Kojima saying there's still lots of stuff he hasn't talked about but he's going to stop tweeting for a while (also, 9 days until release, yay!), and he hopes everyone will enjoy the game.

Edit:

DAMMIT I'm going to have to buy that, aren't I?

TheMoon

Well it might be erma, or could stay elma, depends on if takahashi intended elma to be the english name or not.

edit: oh shit, new tweets

It definitely won't be Erma. No rational person would go with that during localization when even the Japanese text always refers to her as Elma.

Exile20

M7e3L9J.jpg

Looks like Nintendo started the ads.

Well at least you are willing to admit that it can have story repercussions instead of just dismissing the topic altogether as something crazy to be worried about.

Well it's an obvious and legitimate concern. They're going for a 'different' approach, and they've told us tons about 'open-world', and about the story 'unfolding in multiple directions', and about customization, and online multiplayer. They've definitely shown enough hints at the story for me to be intrigued, but they're definitely holding it close to their chests...

We can't simply dismiss 'being different' and conclude that the story will be just as good, because it WILL have to be different in structure, and presentation to some degree.

From what I've seen, heard and read though, I'm still somewhat concerned about the role of the MC directly. He seems to be involved, but to what degree?? I'm not really too concerned about getting an epic story, because all indications are that we're getting a true, deep, and detailed epic. It seems like the story is way more involved, has way more going on, but also focuses more on the characters' personalities and characterization. It looks like it's going to build the world heavily with lore and information. And at the same time, it looks like we're almost going to inconsequential on a personal level with the overarching narrative about humanity, aliens, survival and coexistence. I'm pretty excited, despite the few concerns I have left. (I'm even incredibly excited about the soundtrack, since most of it has sounded incredible, even if I wish we had a few less vocal tracks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom