• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenogears...LTTP

nelsonroyale said:
no, I thought FFVI had a rather jumbled tedious plot, with paper thin characters... and I didn't really pay attention to the philosophical ramblings in xenogears...I thought the overall concept of the plot was good, and the game had strong direction (ie actually surprising plot elements) and some very impressive scenes... FFVI plot was simplistic, but not very coherent at all, and the main characters were very poorly fleshed out... Not that I think the characters in Xenogears were particularly strong, but there was a certain ambition in the plot, which few other games match...not the ones listed here at least
Really? I mean Cyan, Shadow, Terra, Celles and the rest of the cast, it's the first time I see anyone calling them paper thin characters. Although I'll agree Shadow was underdeveloped since his past was so closely connected to another character.
ethelred said:
Panzer Dragoon Saga, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle 64, Dragon Quest VII, Suikoden II, Suikoden III...
yeah specially Dragon Quarter even if it was a short game, it could have used a sequel though. But like I said those were only from the top of my head.

Fady K

Tabris said:
Xenosaga Episode III is the closest video game we'll get to Xenogears and it does it with less anime/science fiction cliches.

It's sad that most people on this forum haven't experienced that game to the end due to the opinion on the previous games.

QFMFT. With Style

Prime crotch said:
Really? I mean Cyan, Shadow, Terra, Celles and the rest of the cast, it's the first time I see anyone calling them paper thin characters. Although I'll agree Shadow was underdeveloped since his past was so closely connected to another character.

yeah specially Dragon Quarter even if it was a short game, it could have used a sequel though. But like I said those were only from the top of my head.

I suppose it just didnt click, Locke had very little motive or interesting personality traits...terra was decent but a but bland...cyan was quite good, but the emotional impact was lessoned for me because of the format, sabin was good, and so was his bro though

Tabris

Prime crotch said:

There was only 2 characters with showed any growth and emotional depth in that game, Terra and Celes. The rest were definitely paper thin.

TheContact

This is my favorite RPG ever. The story was so complex the developers had to create a book just to explain the plot and characters. The game itself takes a couple play throughs to really understand the plot, and it's a long game (~50+ hours), so that really turns a lot of people off, but the story is just so amazing and deep it makes it all worth it.

NIghtWolf

I though I was hallucinating when I saw this thread up to the first page lol. I want to replay it but thinking about reaching disc 2 holds me from that, At least if did now I could understand the story "better".

Levyne

Banned
I'ev said this unpopular opinion before, but after really liking the Xenosaga trilogy, I played Xenogears on PSN and...hated it. The fact that it was way unfinished hurt my perceptions a lot.

Would have loved to see the result and the budget not been swept out from under their feet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
carfo said:
This is my favorite RPG ever. The story was so complex the developers had to create a book just to explain the plot and characters. The game itself takes a couple play throughs to really understand the plot, and it's a long game (~50+ hours), so that really turns a lot of people off, but the story is just so amazing and deep it makes it all worth it.
I'd love to know why you bumped this thread just to make this post.

silenttwn said:
Neither did Square. Oh, SNAP. ROFL.

LMAO thank you good sir, that really made me LOL. My office is looking at me strange now...

Really though, imho Xenogears was/is a great game. By far one of my top 5 RPG of all time. Even though disc 2 was a little slow the story in it even though it was a lot of filler was good. It gave me the feeling of anticpation of "what's going to happen next?". It's one of the games that I really think deserves a HD remake, or better yet a end to the story itself.

I was hoping Xenosaga would deliever and also a good series it just never finishes the damn story...someone needs to finish this damn series.

this is in my backlog from psn. i bought it over the summer during the usual drought along with the original strategy guide. amazing game so far, but i probably wont finish it til next summer. hahaha.

aett

I looooved this game when it came out. I somehow managed to beat it two or three times (not counting the times that I would get 1/3 or 1/2 way through the game but had my save file deleted -- stupid third party memory cards). The weird part is that I wasn't able to play video games on school days back then, when I was in high school, and I would spend a lot of time with friends on the weekends. Who knows how the hell I managed to sink so much time into that game.

When I was 18, I joined the military, and gave all of my PSX games to my friends. I bought a few of my favorites again over the next few years (mostly Greatest Hits games), and I've been buying some more on PSN recently. I tried to replay Xenogears last month... but the damn sewer part killed my momentum completely. Oddly enough, I absolutely LOVED the Kislev part back in the day. Probably because I was sick of the desert stuff and I love oppressive-feeling grungy sci-fi stuff.

Classic game. Story is really something special. The core gameplay is pretty good, but some of the dungeons are just... interminable.

Oh and the music... fantastic.

Top Bottom