• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenogears...LTTP

NIghtWolf

Ok this is my first thread
(Im not a thread starter kind of guy so I hope this is a good one)

Xenogears..after reading some quotes in the "infamous RPG thread" which is locket now I want to know what people think about xenogears. To me it was one of the greatest RPG in the ps1 and even now I find it very enjoyable in many aspects, but I must accept that they just killed all my interest in the game when you get into the 2nd disc. I mean you are in all the action (cd1) and suddenly you watching a movie (a boring one, cd2), an rpg can't be told like that killing the "being free factor" it piss me off really. I never finish it due to that. I would love a remake of that game, well at least a "Re do" of the disc 2 is more than enough for me.

Despite the second cd sucking, xenogears received good scores:

it has 90% on gamerankings.

I recommend it but im not responsible for broken cds, consoles or meltdowns.

2lthquf.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I never got around to getting past the first 5 hours or so of Xenogears. I might go back to it sometime later but I'm more consumed by catching those elusive good fish at 4am in Animal Crossing at the moment :lol

Red Scarlet

I traded this game for Mega Man 2 and Kid Icarus, so that's one good thing about the game.
That's all I have, though. The game was probably my antithesis rpg.

Bravo, ethel. :lol

Good game but quite flawed. Also
Citan with sword > everything
I would love for this to get remade with a deserving budget.

NIghtWolf

ethelred said:
Didn't this topic just get locked?

Oh, wait, that was a different one. Didn't realize. Sorry!

its nice you didn't get locket inside, welcome.

B.K. said:
The second disc wasn't that bad. I liked it.

The story wasn't all bad but the chair....and the impossibility to go where you want killed the fun factor.

ninj4junpei said:
Good game but quite flawed. Also
Citan with sword > everything
I would love for this to get remade with a deserving budget.

oh, yeah
Rico was good too, and Maria gear was some powerful bitch too

Red Scarlet

I don't remember if it was answered in an older thread, but someone winds up bringing up some tower where you are in your robots, and if you get prepared to fight, you can't jump and wind up falling down. I asked if you could float around, get into a fight, THEN make the jump after a fight to avert the problem. Can you do that?

ethelred

Red Scarlet said:
I don't remember if it was answered in an older thread, but someone winds up bringing up some tower where you are in your robots, and if you get prepared to fight, you can't jump and wind up falling down. I asked if you could float around, get into a fight, THEN make the jump after a fight to avert the problem. Can you do that?

Nope, that doesn't work, unfortunately.

PolyGone

Banned
ethelred said:
People who praise the story in Xenogears are going to wind up in a very special level of hell where you're forced to repeat the jumps in the Tower of Babel for an eternity.

the trick is knowing you can't jump while it loads a battle, so just wait a second before the jump to make sure you're not being attacked ;P

Teddman

ethelred said:
People who praise the story in Xenogears are going to wind up in a very special level of hell where you're forced to repeat the jumps in the Tower of Babel for an eternity.
:lol

Honestly people, the story is NOT worth the slow-going plethora of random battles and inane cutscenes with.... text.... that.... scroll... this... slowly.... and.... can't.... be... sped.... up....

The only way Xenogears would maybe, maybe be worth playing would be on an emulator where you can crank up the turbo mode to about 3x and use savestate. There are a couple nice dramatic twists and a few good tunes on the soundtrack (which is overrated on the whole) too, but not worth the 80+ hour time commitment. You could have played three other better games.

B.K.

ethelred said:
No, this is the one where the 16 year old boy named Billy spends his nights working as a male prostitute.

ALMOST spends his nights working as a male prostitute. He said he decided not to do it.

Teddman said:

Honestly people, the story is NOT worth the slow-going plethora of random battles and inane cutscenes with.... text.... that.... scroll... this... slowly.... and.... can't.... be... sped.... up....

The only way Xenogears would maybe, maybe be worth playing would be on an emulator where you can crank up the turbo mode to about 3x and use savestate. There are a couple nice dramatic twists and a few good tunes on the soundtrack (which is overrated on the whole) too, but not worth the 80+ hour time commitment. You could have played three other better games.
The hell? It only took me 50 hours to beat it.

Red Scarlet

Teddman said:

Wasn't there a gameshark code to speed up the text?

NIghtWolf

B.K. said:
Xenogears isn't about exploration and freedom. It's all about the story.

Agreed and it has a great story also, but it was more awesome actually when you were on it than being told of it. Also I don't know I like to end rpgs with final levels and there was not variety of enemys in such limited places.

edited :p

trilobyte

Xenogears...ah yes. I was really fucked when I got to the last boss. I didn't spend the time upgrading/leveling my other gears (I only played my core group most the time). So when I got to the last boss which required almost all my gears, I was pretty screwed. Worst was I didn't have another save point to go back to and start leveling.

I just said fuck it, and never finished it.

NIghtWolf

Jcgamer60 said:
Are you kidding? That game was easily over 90 hrs for me.

:\ well I don't know, unless they add more of those wacky story telling *sitting on a chair* at the end I don't I would have took me more than 45 hours to complete the game.

MoxManiac said:
I hate Xenogears!

what you hate of it?

Red Scarlet

Jcgamer60

trilobyte said:
Xenogears...ah yes. I was really fucked when I got to the last boss. I didn't spend the time upgrading/leveling my other gears (I only played my core group most the time). So when I got to the last boss that required to play most of all my gears, I was prett screwed. Worst was I didn't have another save point to go back to and start leveling.

I just said fuck it, and never finished it.

I also stopped at the last boss. I really enjoyed the game, but I just kinda lost interest right at the end. Can't be bothered to level grind just to beat the last boss.

DiddyBop

that game brings back memories of the excellent era of psx rpgs. this game was great. great music,battle system,characters,and story. loved every minute of it. ididnt ind the text based 2nd disc that much. hopefully its released ont the ps store soon or i could just rip my copy for the psp.

I guess I'm in the minority here in saying that I loved the second disc because it was more focused on the story, which is what I played Xenogears for - it definitely wasn't for the gameplay itself.

McLovin

LoL I recently played xenogears (like 3 months ago) Played it all the way up till the final stage. The game froze on me every time I got to the second level of that big ass ship. I don't know if it was the disc or some ps3 backwards compatibility glitch but it really pissed me off. Especially since I put up with that second disc.. it wasn't so bad just the first part with Fei and Elly. The big mech fight was pretty cool though and when they finally went back to letting you free roam it was ok again.

Scalpel Knight said:
I guess I'm in the minority here in saying that I loved the second disc because it was more focused on the story, which is what I played Xenogears for - it definitely wasn't for the gameplay itself.

Are you kidding me? The quality of the script and story fell so hard i think it reached the level of abyss that ethelred was talking about.

JayDubya

Banned
It happily and regularly leaps between greatness and utter shit, and it does so often.

It's a mixed bag of a game. I'm glad I played it, overall, but man, when it failed, it failed hard.

Lostconfused said:
Are you kidding me? The quality of the script and story fell so hard i think it reached the level of abyss that ethelred was talking about.
I guess I don't remember that. It has been ages since I've played XG.

McLovin

JayDubya said:
It happily and regularly leaps between greatness and utter shit, and it does so often.

It's a mixed bag of a game. I'm glad I played it, overall, but man, when it failed, it failed hard.

when it failed it failed hard.. yes I can truly agree with that statement. Which moment was worst.. Billy selling himself as a prostitute or the honest to goodness anti-drug add staring Elly?

McLovin said:
when it failed it failed hard.. yes I can truly agree with that statement. Which moment was worst.. Billy selling himself as a prostitute or the honest to goodness anti-drug add staring Elly?
Oh snap, I thought that other poster was joking but now that you mention that, I remember it. :lol

Scalpel Knight said:
I guess I don't remember that. It has been ages since I've played XG.

I mean they just threw random puzzles at you to make the game longer, that was the sign for me to bail out and deny the existence of the second disc that you seem to have played. Not to mention how they entirely got rid of ID right of the bat or the whole macross rip off.

One of the nicest things I can say about Xenogears is that I don't remember anything about it.

It's like one of those traumatic experiences that happens in your childhood yet you can't remember it. However it influences your behavior in dramatic ways and you need years of psychiatric treatment in order to determine the cause and hopefully live out a normal life.

But from what I can put together:
Naked woman on a beach
Weigraf
The guy who got all of Fei's recessive genes
Blanka
Giant Robots
Crucified stuffed animal
The final fight with Miang was a bitch
Everyone dies...over and over again.
...Bro
Mad skillz?

McLovin

Lostconfused said:
I mean they just threw random puzzles at you to make the game longer, that was the sign for me to bail out and deny the existence of the second disc that you seem to have played. Not to mention how they entirely got rid of ID right of the bat or the whole macross rip off.

I liked the card game but stopped enjoying it when I found out that they let you pause the game. Also that RPS badge was a bitch to get.. took me like 5 hours :(

oh god.. I just remembered the soylent greens part in the second disc... it was so bad it was funny :lol

NIghtWolf

Scalpel Knight said:

Good to see you liked, now tell me the trick u used. :p nah i'm jk.

Its not about ripping off the story what i'm talking about, its about give you the privilege to participate in the story, they could include a book in the game package it self and I would gladly read it all if what they wanted was to transmit their feelings word by word. all I wanted was some more interaction between the story and the characters.

ok just imagine playing an RPG you like a lot doing this. I get nightmares of just imaging the possibility of a FFVII story teller cd ala xg *sitting in a chair* (lol, I get paranoid at that #$%^& chair I hate it).

Top Bottom