• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

AlexBasch

lol, I think that was it. Its been so long,but I remember feeling pretty stupid after getting the clue.
Don't worry, both me and my brother were stuck in that part, went to sleep for school, had some sort of epiphany and woke him up to try it. Made a silent celebrations of muffled "hell yeah's" and whatnot.

I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy. eh kills space pirates and doesn't afraid of anything.
Always die at this.

Shahadan

and fuck Fi

YarsYpp.jpg

obscure joke

Why do people say this game is difficult? Super Metroid isn't even a hard game because you have so many resources at your disposal. I'm not saying you shouldn't die but after you fight something or survey an area, you get a general idea of how to proceed (like if you enter the lava zones without a suit, it's a sign to maybe get out). Even if you aren't scrounging every nook and cranny you should have enough health that you can take over plenty of hits and have reserves on top of it, while also having more missiles (and plenty left over) to wipe out any boss. Getting lost isn't difficulty though and it's understandable to get lost, since you aren't in a fail state when lost. I just wonder how people give the impression that they die plenty of times even though there is plenty of things to recover from your errors.

Why do people say this game is difficult? Super Metroid isn't even a hard game because you have so many resources at your disposal. I'm not saying you shouldn't die but after you fight something or survey an area, you get a general idea of how to proceed (like if you enter the lava zones without a suit, it's a sign to maybe get out). Even if you aren't scrounging every nook and cranny you should have enough health that you can take over plenty of hits and have reserves on top of it, while also having more missiles (and plenty left over) to wipe out any boss. Getting lost isn't difficulty though and it's understandable to get lost, since you aren't in a fail state when lost. I just wonder how people give the impression that they die plenty of times even though there is plenty of things to recover from your errors.

The modern gamers at work.

Haunted

modern nintendo fans everyone
Nintendoland, what have you done.

People like to complain about Skyward Sword as the prime example of over-tutorialising a game, but fuck, it has nothing on Nintendoland. Every single aspect of every minigame, neatly explained before you even get the chance to discover it on your own. Endless tutorials, sometimes even several skipping processes necessary when playing each game with more people for the first time. Fucking terrible. I'm not sure if it's are Nintendo overthinking, or Nintendo being thoughtless, but either way, it's unbelievably tedious.

Pikmin especially drove me nuts. Every new item encountered, every enemy's weak spot, every new mechanic, that fucking monitor pops up and slowly, agonisingly slowly, explains it to you exactly. Before you could try it out for yourself, discover it for yourself. There is zero sense of discovery or exploration on this "adventure". ugh

Wait a few days until they get to the crumbling block bridge.

And then a week or so when they get to the Maridia tube (which is stupid bullshit)
How many of those in the OP will even make it that far.

hachi

Banned
Miiverse is still the stealth killer feature of the Wii U. Sorely under-appreciated outside of existing console owners.

When big games like this hit (either new or classics), it's like the whole online community jumps in to play through it together at the same time. It also makes me much more inclined to spend and start playing right away, because I want to join in on the conversation. So adorable and endearing of an online network.

mantidor

It took me some time but I figured the Maridia tube.

It was mindblowing, I felt so amazed, now that I think about it maybe they were trying to do the same thing in Other M's final boss, but in that case it was nowhere near as intuitive.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Miiverse is still the stealth killer feature of the Wii U. Sorely under-appreciated outside of existing console owners.

When big games like this hit (either new or classics), it's like the whole online community jumps in to play through it together at the same time. It also makes me much more inclined to spend and start playing right away, because I want to join in on the conversation. So adorable and endearing of an online network.

I like the idea of it a lot. Especially all the cool drawings that people post on it.

Can't wait for it to hit the 3DS.

Teknoman

Parts that I got stuck on my first time:

The noob bridge.
Learning to shinespark.
Blowing up the Maridia tube.

And while the first one was just me not knowing there was a run button, I stand by the other two being the game's fault.

How is that stupid bird supposed to be conveying ducking? It runs and it jumps. There's no hint that you're supposed to duck.

And the Maridia tube is just dumb. The only ways to figure that out are through luck or by watching the attract mode stuff.

That was an old school stand by:

Watch the attract mode if you get stuck.

Maedhros

Most of these are kids, right?

God... this current generation... ugh. Modern game design did that with all the handholding. Imagine Super Metroid with modern design. "Try to shoot that block", "Press down two times to transform into a ball".

Korigama

Not sure whether to laugh or cry...probably a bit of both (laughing hard enough at "y cant metroid crawl?" eventually leading to the latter).

Usobuko

Banned

While it seems to be good for what it does, I think it has more to do with the crowd Nintendo attracts. I meant this as a compliment.

Margalis

Banned

Yeah, it's a true community feature. 360 and PS3 have "community features", but not features that actually foster community interaction. There's no sense of community on 360 - just your friends and people who send you nasty messages. Miiverse is very smart - the fact that you can draw and have an efficient text-entry method is used very well in way I don't think can be replicated.

It's a really good example of not just copying existing social media apps or what competitors are doing and instead thinking about what makes sense in the context of the device.

pvpness

Lol. Getting old is funny. The first time I played SM I blew up the tube because I thought it would be cool if it was actually destructible. It was cool.

My kid is playing it now for the first time and he's salty that it doesn't twin stick like Shadow Complex. Ha.

I forget what part those people are stuck on, but yeah, I don't think it was a hard part of the game, sure.

However, Super Metroid is a quite difficult game full of extremely obtuse "puzzles", some of which basically just require you to randomly attack the walls and stuff until you find what you need... yeah, I would not have ever finished it without a walkthrough. Way too much randomly hidden stuff you need to find, and the map isn't helpful for that stuff most of the time. I mean, it's great that it HAS a map, and it makes the game playable... but still, there's a lot of stuff in that game that there aren't really clues for. It definitely inherited quite a bit of Metroid 1 level design, and that's not something I like.

Sure, modern games are too linear, but the ideal is somewhere in between "just randomly look around until you maybe find it" and "the game holds your hand the whole way through". Super Metroid has some parts which are way too close to the former of those styles for me to have beaten it without guides.

Agreed 100%. This is exactly why I never really loved this game and I'm still not quite a huge fan of it despite its amazing polish and prefer Metroid Prime much more. That game's hint system alone made a huge difference and made it a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Maedhros

Yeah, it's a true community feature. 360 and PS3 have "community features", but not features that actually foster community interaction. There's no sense of community on 360 - just your friends and people who send you nasty messages. Miiverse is very smart - the fact that you can draw and have an efficient text-entry method is used very well in way I don't think can be replicated.

It's a really good example of not just copying existing social media apps or what competitors are doing and instead thinking about what makes sense in the context of the device.

Too bad it doesn't help in sales. It a nice bonus, though. I hope the other two actually copies it.

this guy....i remember watching him play skyward sword and it made me want to kill myself. i just decided to laugh at him at some point but his constant complaints about the game design when the solution was so obvious killed me.

How do you play games for a living for YEARS and still suck every time you pick up a controller?

I'm pretty sure it's his schtick, i refuse to believe anyone can be that oblivious for so long. who would spend so much time on something they hate?

MisterHero

Say hello to Nintendo's current target audience...

They brought this on themselves.
They were having these issues when they were releasing these old-school games. They didn't adapt arcade difficulty into their console games and still don't. For example, F-Zero GX is a tough Nintendo game. It's not a wonder either, considering that SEGA developed it.

They even made money from Player's Guides/Nintendo Power/Player's Hotline.

ameleco

The game probably should be more instructive when it comes to how to go about solving puzzles, what the upgrades do, etc. That said I did figure this stuff out when I was like 9? so..... :)

The game probably should be more instructive when it comes to how to go about solving puzzles, what the upgrades do, etc. That said I did figure this stuff out when I was like 9? so..... :)

Games back then didn't teach you shit. You had to read the manual and figure it out. There's no tutorial levels like they have these days.

To be honest, they have a point. The morph ball was always a fucking stupid piece of design. Samus should be able to just crawl. Unrealistic too when you try to figure out how her skeleton fits comfortably into a sphere and them moves around.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Like none of you ever got stuck in Super Metroid the first time you played it. Only difference is we couldn't share our troubles in the SNES days.

Put me down as someone who finds it charming in an odd way.

krae_man

Most of these can't be real, can they?

Of course not. Lilke most funny things on the internet, the first one or two were real and the rest are all fake. The one guy was born in 1988. Also who bought a WiiU who hasn't been a Nintendo fan for 20+ years?

I can never get into laughing at stuff like this. Nofunallowed.jpg.

Pauly strikes again

AHwWtu7.png

Yep he can find Star Road and the Special Area but can't figure out how to use missiles or morph ball bombs.

Top Bottom