• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

ZeroX03

Banned
Kingdom Hearts sells well, don't try and compare people. Yakuza 0 could sell less than all the other games coming out at the same time and still be the best selling title in the franchise.

I mean, it's no KH3... is it still so popular ? It's a " major " KH release ?

Even the smaller ones sold like 500k in the west.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kingdom Hearts sells well, don't try and compare people. Yakuza 0 could sell less than all the other games coming out at the same time and still be the best selling title in the franchise.

Exactly. It being third behind KH and RE is huge, when you consider how Yakuza normally sells in the west.

Slaythe

2.8 is pretty bad btw. Osaka team has no idea how to make a compelling combat system.

I wish people would not buy this and save up for 1.5+2.5 to send the right message to Square.

Really scared about KH3 now since they're making it.

But at least we're getting 60 FPS KH2FM so that's better than nothing.

Huge KH fan here, and I'm getting Yakuza definitely over this. Granted it's because I know 2.5 ps4 is coming :p but still.

ZeroX03

Banned
2.8 is pretty bad btw. Osaka team has no idea how to make a compelling combat system.

I wish people would not buy this and save up for 1.5+2.5 to send the right message to Square.

Really scared about KH3 now since they're making it.

But at least we're getting 60 FPS KH2FM so that's better than nothing.

Huge KH fan here, and I'm getting Yakuza definitely over this. Granted it's because I know 2.5 ps4 is coming :p but still.

Nothing screams "improve your game" more than fan backlash.

And yeah everybody should hold off buying. KH4 lands so soon for less. 2.8 will be $30 in a month.

Slaythe

Nothing screams "improve your game" more than fan backlash.

And yeah everybody should hold off buying. KH4 lands so soon for less. 2.8 will be $30 in a month.

The problem is......

80% of the current KH "fans" just care about the chara designs, the soundtrack, and disney.

And most enjoy the convoluted story ("omg lea so cool with his keyblade" "omg aqua met kairi so it was all planned since day 1 !!" ......) . They also don't know how to play Kh2FM properly because final mix wasn't a thing for the majority (due to being japan only) and they didn't really bother learning the game on 2.5 (it's not a button masher).

So they are kinda fine with the subpar games Osaka team is making. :/

The reason is because most of them play Kh2FM the same way they'd play 0.2, just mash attack button, use magic randomly and press triangle to trigger flashy shit.

This is depressing. KH2FM has one of the deepest and most fluid battle system that has ever been made. I am making my peace with it, KH 1.5+2.5 on ps4 is as good as it gets. 60 FPS Data Organization... I'm covered for years !

But back to the topic, yes I'd suggest to everybody to just get Yakuza, and wait for a discount regarding KH 2.8. 60bucks for the worst game in the series + a glorified (pretty but mediocre) tech demo is a bit much.

Akibared

You'll be fine on hard. If you now how the games play then its worth giving hard mode a try. Just keep in mind - you don't get health drops on hard mode in the main mission "levels" so be sure to grab some healing items from the drug store before doing main story missions. You'll be fine after you level up a bit, its mainly just for the first couple of bosses.

Personally, I barely noticed a difference between Normal and Hard in Yakuza 3, 4, and 5. Even EX-Hard felt like playing on Hard.

I haven't played the game but judging from all I've heard in the Yakuza Community thread, I'd suggest starting on Hard.

I started Y5 on hard and I don't regret it and will do the same for this.

Though if people who have played the game can chime in, that would be dandy.

Thanks I'll play on hard! :)

Aki-at

Well its good but I don't think KH sells that much so... not so good ? :(

It's doing REALLY well in the Amazon top 100 best selling video games actually! 10th in the UK, 8th in Canada and 13th in America...

https://twitter.com/Akifromspace/status/822216928827731968

And since making that tweet it's go to 8th in the UK and 6th in Canada. Now I'm still not expecting massive sales, but if we can get a jump from Yakuza 5's 100k to 150k or even 200k, I think it's moderate success! It's probably going to end up higher then that but I like to stay on the conservative side with my predictions.

Saw the filesize on PSN today. 23 GB and change. For some reason I was dreading a 50GB preload or something, but that seems to only really happen with Western developers. Wonder why...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's doing REALLY well in the Amazon top 100 best selling video games actually! 10th in the UK, 8th in Canada and 13th in America...

And since making that tweet it's go to 8th in the UK and 6th in Canada. Now I'm still not expecting massive sales, but if we can get a jump from Yakuza 5's 100k to 150k or even 200k, I think it's moderate success! It's probably going to end up higher then that but I like to stay on the conservative side with my predictions.

Along with the above, I never thought I'd see the day a Yakuza thread/multiple threads got so many pages on GAF, it's fucking awesome :p

I mean I'm delighted at the interest and having new folks join the club and can't wait for everyone to share their experiences. Makes me wonder what brought out the interest. Is it because it's a perfect jumping on point to the series ? Are people just looking for something 'different' than usual etc ? This is definitely the most interest I've ever seen in a Yakuza game, generally speaking. I understand it's a niche series and we'll never see huuuge numbers but it'll be great to have more fans onboard at least enjoying the games!

OniBaka

So I'm on part 2 of yakuza 5, should I stop and play 0? There's so much hype here.

Only saying they as I hear 5 takes long to beat.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm on part 2 of yakuza 5, should I stop and play 0? There's so much hype here.

I would yeah. Join in the fun of everyone playing it at the same time and despite loving it, Yakuza 5 is a pretty damn long game. You'll probably appreciate Kazumas character a bit more if you're starting with 0 and say end up playing Kiwami in the summer. (this is assuming you've only played Yakuza 5 and none of the others)

Can't wait for 0 so fucking much, for me it's like a AAA release other folks would get excited about :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've played 3, 4 and briefly saw my friend play 1 during ps2 days.

Aaaaah right ok. I guess it's just what you fancy playing then! Well maybe play 0 and Kiwami first in the summer and then finish off 5 later this year ? Since 6 will be out at the start of 2018 maybe you'll fancy playing it closer to the release of that. But that's easy for me to say, once I start playing a Yakuza game I generally can't stop :p

Aki-at

Along with the above, I never thought I'd see the day a Yakuza thread/multiple threads got so many pages on GAF, it's fucking awesome :p

I mean I'm delighted at the interest and having new folks join the club and can't wait for everyone to share their experiences. Makes me wonder what brought out the interest. Is it because it's a perfect jumping on point to the series ? Are people just looking for something 'different' than usual etc ? This is definitely the most interest I've ever seen in a Yakuza game, generally speaking. I understand it's a niche series and we'll never see huuuge numbers but it'll be great to have more fans onboard at least enjoying the games!

Yeah I've been following the series since it first landed in the West, tried my hardest to get my friends and other people and I could never make many of them bite. But all of a sudden there's this massive influx of interest and loads of people willing to jump on board, I'm guessing it's a perfect storm sort of scenerio.

Sony helped get the series some attention at PSX with Yakuza 5, then threw it on PS+ which appears to be many people's first entry into the series. Then Atlus tried drumming up even more support for the series, connected with people better then Sega managed in the past, add to it being a prequel and finally the amount of people they managed to get this game out for review has just brought the interest to heights never before seen for the series. It brings a tear to my eye to see so many people hyped for a Yakuza game :,D

Join our hype train, 5 still has enough to it that you could return to it after 0 and still compelled to finish it!

The problem is......

80% of the current KH "fans" just care about the chara designs, the soundtrack, and disney.

And most enjoy the convoluted story ("omg lea so cool with his keyblade" "omg aqua met kairi so it was all planned since day 1 !!" ......) . They also don't know how to play Kh2FM properly because final mix wasn't a thing for the majority (due to being japan only) and they didn't really bother learning the game on 2.5 (it's not a button masher).

So they are kinda fine with the subpar games Osaka team is making. :/

The reason is because most of them play Kh2FM the same way they'd play 0.2, just mash attack button, use magic randomly and press triangle to trigger flashy shit.

This is depressing. KH2FM has one of the deepest and most fluid battle system that has ever been made. I am making my peace with it, KH 1.5+2.5 on ps4 is as good as it gets. 60 FPS Data Organization... I'm covered for years !

But back to the topic, yes I'd suggest to everybody to just get Yakuza, and wait for a discount regarding KH 2.8. 60bucks for the worst game in the series + a glorified (pretty but mediocre) tech demo is a bit much.

FWIW, 0.2 has one particular series of fights that actually plays like something straight out of KH2FM. (As in proper KH2 style revenge values, attacks that can actually be dodged intelligently instead of spamming dodges, and none of the randomness that plagued the other Osaka entries) Not that it justifies buying the collection, but it at least gives me hope for the future. That said, I got both. Don't see why I should have had to choose. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyhow, can't wait to dig into this! I played Yakuza 1 & 2 after hearing so many people rave about the series (Boy, was 2 expensive...) and don't know how I passed it over before. The series is so Sega it hurts.

Slaythe

FWIW, 0.2 has one particular series of fights that actually plays like something straight out of KH2FM. (As in proper KH2 style revenge values, attacks that can actually be dodged intelligently instead of spamming dodges, and none of the randomness that plagued the other Osaka entries) Not that it justifies buying the collection, but it at least gives me hope for the future. That said, I got both. Don't see why I should have had to choose. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Let's see, in the span of two months :

Re 7, Yakuza, KH2.8, Nioh, Nier, Horizon.

That's why people have to choose. Good for you if you're rich, obviously if you have the money you get everything. Most people can only buy one game at a time.

I'll answer in PM about KH because you're kinda wrong here and I don't want to be off topic.

StereoVsn

Let's see, in the span of two months :

Re 7, Yakuza, KH2.8, Nioh, Nier, Horizon.

That's why people have to choose. Good for you if you're rich, obviously if you have the money you get everything. Most people can only buy one game at a time.

I'll answer in PM about KH because you're kinda wrong here and I don't want to be off topic.

You forgot Gravity Rush 2 which is a great game and new Tales Of games is releasing. Also ME:A a few weeks after Horizon and then Persona couple weeks after. And DQVIII.

Slaythe

You forgot Gravity Rush 2 which is a great game and new Tales Of games is releasing. Also ME:A a few weeks after Horizon and then Persona couple weeks after. And DQVIII.

Oh god you're right.

And KH 1.5+2.5.

My wallet is NEVER surviving.

I hate it, I've been having nothing to play for months and all those amazing games come out at the same time. T.T

Yeap, through Amazon (or GameStop probably).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J4PHT3C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Visit here once it's released.

Oh awesome.

Cause Sony changed their policy and my card doesn't work anymore on the psn store.

Past

If it sells 200k during its first week that'll be a huge success, probably not going to happen though, maybe lifetime when it goes on sale.

Aki-at

If it sells 200k during its first week that'll be a huge success, probably not going to happen though, maybe lifetime when it goes on sale.

I should have said I'm expecting that to be the life time sales :p

200k first week sales and you can bet Sega will completely reassemble their franchise priorities and Yakuza would be set towards the top of the pack. I expect something modest like 40k launch sales in the West. If NPD leaks happen it's going to be interesting to see how Yakuza 0 manages.

Slaythe

Smaller games tend to sell decently digitally.

I wouldn't expect NPD to be relevant for this title. PSN ranking would bear more weight.

When it comes to Gaf I like to think that our efforts at YakuzaGAF has paid off. From posting gifs in every thread to encouraging people to try Yakuza and making informative threads about the series. I mean look at this thread that we are posting in right now. The community really tried to help the series gain more awareness and hopefully we are seeing (and will see) the fruits of that laber. It also really helped that Atlus/Sega were doing a much better job at marketing the game this time around.

farisr

Alright I've figured it out. I'm going to be trading in some games tomorrow (good promo going on for trading games towards the Switch, its games, accessories and what not, double the value). Then on Tuesday, I'm going to go in and shift that credit towards Yakuza 0, and if enough, Gravity Rush 2 as well.

This will be the first Yakuza game I've ever played (despite preordering Yakuza 5 as soon as it went up on PSN for PS3).

Listening to Jim Sterling repping the fuck out of this game on the Podquisition makes me so happy. Surprised he only now discovered the series.

Alright I've figured it out. I'm going to be trading in some games tomorrow (good promo going on for trading games towards the Switch, its games, accessories and what not, double the value). Then on Tuesday, I'm going to go in and shift that credit towards Yakuza 0, and if enough, Gravity Rush 2 as well.

This will be the first Yakuza game I've ever played (despite preordering Yakuza 5 as soon as it went up on PSN for PS3).

nice =D

Def Jukie

Doing my part, just waiting for my copy to ship from Amazon. Going to be my first game in the series after thinking about jumping in for a while now. What better time than now? Got DQ8 pre-ordered as well, going to support as many great Japanese games as I can on day 1. Keep em coming!

derFeef

Well I ordered physical, since it's being sent out today, there is a chance I get it a day early. Since EU PSN does not let me preorder...

I promised myself to stop buying physical, lol.

Squire

Banned
Watching the Quick Look for this. For the in-game cutscenes with dialogue boxes, do you press a button to advance them or do they advance on their own? I need time to read. ;_;

Watching the Quick Look for this. For the in-game cutscenes with dialogue boxes, do you press a button to advance them or do they advance on their own? I need time to read. ;_;
For non voiced dialogue you have to press a Button to advance.

For ( non-cutscenes)voiced dialogue with subtitles, the subtitles advance on their own but you can press a button to stop the dialogue and read at your own pace.

B_Signal

Bit of both. I definitely had some that would sit until I pressed the button, others I could just leave

Squire

Banned
For non voiced dialogue you have to press a Button to advance.

For ( non-cutscenes)voiced dialogue with subtitles, the subtitles advance on their own but you can press a button to stop the dialogue and read at your own pace.

Oh that's a great compromise.

danowat

Banned
Anyone ordered from TGC that has there order shown as stock?

My order just says awaiting stock, which doesn't bode well :-/

GHG

Gold Member
I'm gonna go and see if anywhere has broken the street date here in Dubai.

I'm deep into another playthrough of Bloodborne at the moment but could do with a change of pace to mix things up again. That game makes me so tense.

Top Bottom