• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Facism

I wasn't prompted to download any patches so you should be good

ignore this, just got prompted to download a tiny patch. It just adds 4 misc content items that i assume you redeem from the clown guy at the shrines. Patch notes don't mention any bug-fixes or the like. 5mb in size

phant0m

Yakuza series system data found.

You got the Dragon Amulet and Mad Dog Gloves as presents.

I played Ishin on my earlier PS4 before the pro.

Jesus. This is amazing

Ahhh I will need to reinstall Ishin! Did you need to have your save file present? Or did it go by you trophies? I made a separate JPN PSN account for playing Ishin

AHindD

Do the two stories connect or are they meant to be separate?

If its like Yakuza games in the past, I'm assuming they'll join up towards the end of the game.

Another question: Does the 'Rush' combat style prevent you from grabbing opponents? Because when I hit 'O', Kiryu is kicking instead of performing a grab.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Only 6 hours left at work before I can play this!!!

I bought a cheap, used copy of 3 to get me familiar with the mechanics and accidentally put 17 hours into it at the weekend. I'm hooked on the series now!

How well regarded in the series is 3? Should I expect 0 to be more of the same or better?
Either way I win.
imo 3 is the worst mainline Yakuza game.

Laws00

Playing this I forgot what middle aged Japanese men looked like when I saw the lieutenants from the 80s lol

Shari

I'm on chapter 1X and I've been letting secondary missions for later on as pretty early the game told me that I would be able to swap between characters at some point in the story. Been pushing through to get that before I start to do secondary missions but I fear I'm approaching the end of the game and still dont have the option.

AHindD

I'm on chapter 1X and I've been letting secondary missions for later on as pretty early the game told me that I would be able to swap between characters at some point in the story. Been pushing through to get that before I start to do secondary missions but I fear I'm approaching the end of the game and still dont have the option.

I wouldn't worry too much, as in the post game you'll be able to play Premium Adventure which will allow you to catch up on the side quests you missed.

I'd try and hit most of them during the normal game though, the rewards are generally pretty worth it.

Harmen

I bought a cheap, used copy of 3 to get me familiar with the mechanics and accidentally put 17 hours into it at the weekend. I'm hooked on the series now!

How well regarded in the series is 3? Should I expect 0 to be more of the same or better?
Either way I win.

Typically considered one of the weaker entries. I think it is mostly because the story pacing can drag for some (in comparison to the two stories preceding it).

Haven't played 0 but from what I gather it is one of the best ones so that promises a lot.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Either way I win.

0 is a better game than 3 definitely. It's brilliant and a fantastic starting point. 3 tends to split fans I find, oneida for example feels it's the worst whilst it's one of my favourites after 2 and 0 (4 is personally my least favourite mainline entry).

However that's not really a 'dislike' situation for myself, I love them all it just some more than others :)

mrmyhthef

Started the game on hard, ended up going through the first chapter with no health items and man was it satisfying as fuck.

I did the same thing and not gonna lie I got stuck on the first boss for a while.

This was basically me for half an hour:

giphy.gif

Clive

I think Yakuza 3 is a great game but it can drag a bit initially. If you're 17 hours in then it should be a good ride for the rest of the game though. Maybe weaker than the other PS3 games but by no means a weak entry in the series.

JJShadow

If its like Yakuza games in the past, I'm assuming they'll join up towards the end of the game.

Another question: Does the 'Rush' combat style prevent you from grabbing opponents? Because when I hit 'O', Kiryu is kicking instead of performing a grab.

Yes, you cannot grab oponents (or items) while in Rush mode

aravuus

Back to just before the fight that killed you, as far as I can see.

Really, even with bosses and such?

Sounds perfect, actually. Even hard stuff rarely gets that frustrating if you can retry immediately. Continuously being out of healing items might end up being a problem though.

danowat

Banned
Really, even with bosses and such?

Sounds perfect, actually. Even hard stuff rarely gets that frustrating if you can retry immediately. Continuously being out of healing items might end up being a problem though.

Yup, I (shamefully) died once on the Kuze boss encounter, and was put back to the beginning of the fight

mrmyhthef

Wait, is the punching guy actually face-modeled in the game? Am I crazy?

Unbenannt.png

Actually all 3 Dojima lieutenants are played by and modeled after famous actors.

Hitoshi_Ozawa-p1.jpg
Riki_Takeuchi.jpg
Hideo_Nakano-p1.jpg

(Hitoshi Ozawa, Riki Takeuchi and Hideo Nakano respectively)

EDIT: ok parakeetman got a better pic^

VpomRurd

I have a quick question, sorry if this has been answered already but does this have a day 1 patch? I should be getting it later but my internet has been off for 2 days, so I'm unable to download one. I am so looking forward to playing but don't wanna play an unpatched version.

AHindD

Yes, you cannot grab oponents (or items) while in Rush mode

Woot, cheers mate, thought I was going crazy or something.

I have a quick question, sorry if this has been answered already but does this have a day 1 patch? I should be getting it later but my internet has been off for 2 days, so I'm unable to download one. I am so looking forward to playing but don't wanna play an unpatched version.

It does, but it's so tiny I didn't even notice it on my Australian backwards tin-can string connection (we're talking seconds on a 6Mb/s connection, at best). Judging from its size then, I wouldn't worry too much about missing too much by playing the 'unpatched' version.

danowat

Banned

Yes, but it (appears) to just add a few content packs.

JJShadow

i just lost 24 million to mr shakedown

you can call me mr hubris

I took him down before using Rush style. Wait until he starts his attack animation, dash to one side to avoid it, punch him 3-4 times and immediately establish some distance by dashing away twice or thrice. Rinse and repeat for some delicious money

Rymuth

A lot of the time the cast of real actors used were also in popular / famous Yakuza related films too.
This. Yakuza isn't just a love letter gaming, it's a love letter to the Yakuza film genre as well.

On a related note. I'm always floored by the studio mo-cap technology.

3794217199_a9fc375126_z.jpg

VpomRurd

It does, but it's so tiny I didn't even notice it on my Australian backwards tin-can string connection (we're talking seconds on a 6Mb/s connection, at best). Judging from its size then, I wouldn't worry too much about missing too much by playing the 'unpatched' version.

Yes, but it (appears) to just add a few content packs.

Thanks for the answers, but luckily it's now irrelevant as my internet is working again.

Typically considered one of the weaker entries. I think it is mostly because the story pacing can drag for some (in comparison to the two stories preceding it).

Haven't played 0 but from what I gather it is one of the best ones so that promises a lot.

0 is a better game than 3 definitely. It's brilliant and a fantastic starting point. 3 tends to split fans I find, oneida for example feels it's the worst whilst it's one of my favourites after 2 and 0 (4 is personally my least favourite mainline entry).

However that's not really a 'dislike' situation for myself, I love them all it just some more than others :)

Sounds like I'm in for a treat then as I've been really enjoying 3. Might wait for the remake later in the year rather than playing through my ps2 copy.

MYeager

I took him down before using Rush style. Wait until he starts his attack animation, dash to one side to avoid it, punch him 3-4 times and immediately establish some distance by dashing away twice or thrice. Rinse and repeat for some delicious money

And then a stronger version appears :)

Jeels

So pissed. GameStop fucked up my preorder. Not getting this until Friday and I'll be at PAX then...I think after being consistently treated poorly I'm never shopping at GameStop again. Best buy, Amazon, even wal mart are much better. ,

hbkdx12

My first yakuza game. Anyone have any tips for the fighting? It feels a bit...i don't know if janky the word but it doesn't feel smooth or easily intuitive. I'm very early on in the game (less than 2 hours) and i've just been going around the streets beating up random groups hoping to get a better handle on the fighting.

I find the camera zoomed in where its hard to keep track of multiple enemies sometimes. The camera doesn't stay behind you so that makes it diifficult to deal with multiple enemies as well. Are the different fight styles meant to be used on different type of enemies or are they more just for personal preference?

danowat

Banned
My first yakuza game. Anyone have any tips for the fighting? It feels a bit...i don't know if janky the word but it doesn't feel smooth or easily intuitive. I'm very early on in the game (less than 2 hours) and i've just been going around the streets beating up random groups hoping to get a better handle on the fighting.

I find the camera zoomed in where its hard to keep track of multiple enemies sometimes. The camera doesn't stay behind you so that makes it diifficult to deal with multiple enemies as well. Are the different fight styles meant to be used on different type of enemies or are they more just for personal preference?

I am new to the series, and I get the complaint, especially coming from more contemporary brawlers or action combat games.

I'd suggest using Rush mode, as it feels more......current......in terms of dodge mechanics, also make use of lock on, as this should mitigate the camera issue somewhat, also, try not to button mash, although this is a legitimate tactic, you'll flow much better in combat if you don't.

Also, try this video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJNPpEdQMQ

Top Bottom