• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

That's true, although the conversations often veer back to manager-hostess. I mean I've never been to a hostess club so maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed they usually tried to keep the conversation on the customer and their interests, how great they are, etc. instead of the hostess talking about their personal life. Unless maybe it's a regular. But obviously for this game it works better the way they did it.

This is my first Yakuza so I wrongly assumed the hostess club business was created just for Y0. I guess I should prepare for some recycling with Kiwami and 6.

p.s. Sega missed out by not selling DLC outfits for the Platinum hostesses.

Hostesses appear in each game, but management does not - 2 has it, 3 has it (only in Japanese version, cut out of the English versions), 4 also has it.

However the thing to point out is that each game does it differently - its not really recycling material as both the side stories associated with it, and the actual gameplay in the management mini game is not the same. Plus the romancing of the hostesses changes up between games as well which is nice - 1-4 does it one way, 5 and Kiwami switches it up (to my favourite style), and 6 turns it into a card game (in terms of gameplay - so you select different cards to go down different conversation paths, not as good as 5 in my opinion, it gets more repetitive quickly, however at the same time its also the game where the romancing takes the least time to complete).

That's true, although the conversations often veer back to manager-hostess. I mean I've never been to a hostess club so maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed they usually tried to keep the conversation on the customer and their interests, how great they are, etc. instead of the hostess talking about their personal life. Unless maybe it's a regular. But obviously for this game it works better the way they did it.

This is my first Yakuza so I wrongly assumed the hostess club business was created just for Y0. I guess I should prepare for some recycling with Kiwami and 6.

p.s. Sega missed out by not selling DLC outfits for the Platinum hostesses.

Yeah, in general the hostess courting in previous Yakuza 5 (and I guess previous?) doesn't map super well to Yakuza 0. Like, the goal of making the hostess happy makes a lot more sense when you're trying to go on dates with her versus being her boss and trying to teach her how to keep her clients entertained.

It still works because the conversations are pretty entertaining anyways, which makes it a lot easier for me to ignore the slight (big words here we go) ludonarrative dissonance.

P.S. whatever, SELL ME A NEW OUTFIT SO ETSUKO DOESN'T HAVE TO GO TO WORK IN HER GRANNY SWEATER EVERY NIGHT

I'm so mad right now. Just spent forever trying to get the CP for blackjack cause of the absurdly low bet limits then it turns out I was playing at the low limit table. Didn't even realize there was another one.

muteki

Yeah, in general the hostess courting in previous Yakuza 5 (and I guess previous?) doesn't map super well to Yakuza 0. Like, the goal of making the hostess happy makes a lot more sense when you're trying to go on dates with her versus being her boss and trying to teach her how to keep her clients entertained.

It still works because the conversations are pretty entertaining anyways, which makes it a lot easier for me to ignore the slight (big words here we go) ludonarrative dissonance.

P.S. whatever, SELL ME A NEW OUTFIT SO ETSUKO DOESN'T HAVE TO GO TO WORK IN HER GRANNY SWEATER EVERY NIGHT

Yeah, you definitely should be able to put any of the platinum hostess' outfits on her, lol :p

The leopard/tiger sweater is awesome.

However the thing to point out is that each game does it differently - its not really recycling material as both the side stories associated with it, and the actual gameplay in the management mini game is not the same. Plus the romancing of the hostesses changes up between games as well which is nice - 1-4 does it one way, 5 and Kiwami switches it up (to my favourite style), and 6 turns it into a card game (in terms of gameplay - so you select different cards to go down different conversation paths, not as good as 5 in my opinion, it gets more repetitive quickly, however at the same time its also the game where the romancing takes the least time to complete).

That's good to hear. I'm not even necessarily complaining about recycling; the hostess game is enjoyable enough that I'd be happy to play it again with just character and story swaps.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include any geishas in this game. Or is that considered too high-brow and respectable for a Yakuza game?

I finished this last night after way too many hours building up my completion percentage only to give up on it and just push to the ending. I think I needed that because there are way too many games and this would just be pushed to the side eventually if I didn't. Anyway I'll be ready for Kiwami, which should be good since I never got around to this one and went straight to 2.

Completed the game, just in time for Persona 5!

Well, actually, completed this last week but I haven't gotten around sharing my impression. I was expecting an epic main story, with decent fighting, passable graphics, and some fun side content.

94 hours spent, from the Prologue I was hammering through the story until the Real Estate and Cabaret Club discovery. Then I completed all but
the Amon
substories, friendships, moneymaking, and mini-games I cared in about 2/3 chapters for each character. By that time I've got almost all CP and skill upgrades, unlocked all that sweet Gandhara videos, got a few strong weapons like Golden Shotgun, and got the
hidden battle stances
. Got a day free, so I end up bulldozing everyone from chapter 9/10 or something like that to the end in a single sitting.

I must say that I've enjoyed the ride so much! My main technical wary was the graphics since it's supposedly a PS3 port, but it's decent, great even imo. The cutscene was in another level entirely though, it's hands down the best non-European/American facial performance I've seen. My former best was.. Sleeping Dogs DE, I think?

This is also the first time I cared about side content of a game after Persona 4 Golden. Even though sometimes it can be somewhat tedious, it's just pure joy to play Mini 4WDs, trying to get laid in a telephone club, karaoke and dancing, and many more.

I've never been the sort that's using fighting mechanics extensively, usually playing games for the experience/story it offers. But the fighting mechanics is great, especially for Majima. Smashing through hordes of enemy with breakdancing/swinging bats/punching and finishing off with flashy heat action never gets old.

Lastly, the story is just epic, more than my expectations.
There's action, betrayal, twists and turns in every chapter that becomes a complete crime action tale. The only thing that kinda feels meh is the ending imo. It's just a little anticlimactic.
. Getting laughs (and feels) from the substories further enhance the enjoyment.

The only thing I don't understand is why
it was implied That Sagawa is shot by Omi Alliance agents at the end

It's a solid 9.5/10 for me. Thanks for you guys who always answered my random questions despite me not really contributing, your enthusiasm is what sold me at first. Looking forward for next Yakuza games and OT!

============================
By the way, the correct rank for the hostessess, considering all factors is:
Yuki > Ai = Marina > Mana > Hibiki > Saki > Chika

I am ready to defend it till the end.

xezuru

Endgame Spoilers:
The only thing I don't understand is why
it was implied That
Sagawa
is shot by Omi Alliance agents at the end

Sagawa was shot because of his implications with Shimano. Although Shimano (Tojo) and Sagawa (Omi) were pretty much fighting to flip on the Tojo and have Omi Alliance gain power, his plan to overthrow Dojima, and as a result upset all of the Tojo's power, failed miserably. Now Y0 doesn't make this obvious to new comers but Tojo is easily number one Yakuza faction in all of Japan with Omi an okay amount behind but easily #2. This plan although resulting to empower the Omi could not be supported or probably even told to official channels like the Omi chairman because obviously it's like declaring war on another country, which is why a pawn (seperated from the Tojo or Omi) like Majima was needed in proxy to do dirty work. Like I said the plan failed, but Yakuza are very "No loose ends", at the end Majima delivered a message from Sera (Tojo's intelligence at the Nikyo Consort) telling Shimano they know he's the traitor. So Shimano cut off his ties and covered his tracks with the Omi, and proving his loyalty by shooting his Omi contact, that said Omi blood was still spilled, Sagawa still failed his job, and even if they wanted Shimano, Omi can't declare war now that they don't have upperhand, all they could do to not look completely weak is to destroy the last loose end.

It's surprising how good the pool game is. Not that pool is an especially hard game to make, but the UI and controls are really well thought-out.

One thing I think all of the bars could use is some background chatter mixed into the ambient sound. The lack of conversations make them feel a bit empty even though there's NPCs in them.

IrishNinja

i don't really fuck with vgchartzzz but any idea on sales #'s? i'm hearing 70k, which isn't the 100k i wanted to see but it's still great, if true!

Djostikk

I'm having a blast with this game. Just unlocked property management. It's a shame I won't be able to play other games since they're past gen only...

Djostikk

Well Yakuza: Kiwami is coming out this summer!!

It's a remake of the first Yakuza, Yakuza 1.

So I can play it straight after Zero, good. What about the others? Can we expect them ported to ps4 as well?

I also looked for Yakuza 6 and God this game looks amazing from graphics and gameplay sides. I think I found out a new game series that I'm gonna truly enjoy.

So I can play it straight after Zero, good. What about others? Can we expect them ported to ps4 as well?

Sadly, no. Yakuza 2 MIGHT get a remake. But Yakuza 3,4 and 5 are sticking to the PS3 for the near future.

There is also Yakuza 6 coming out early 2018. You don't need to have played the other Yakuzas to appreciate the story, they're all standalone and with little link between them. There's also a recap feature in every game so you can catch up to the story.

Djostikk

Sadly, no. Yakuza 2 MIGHT get a remake. But Yakuza 3,4 and 5 are sticking to the PS3 for the near future.

There is also Yakuza 6 coming out early 2018. You don't need to have played the other Yakuzas to appreciate the story, they're all standalone and with little link between them. There's also a recap feature in every game so you can catch up to the story.

That's awesome! I guess I'll just stick with Zero and Kiwami then wait for Yakuza 6.

Jimrpg

Just started Chapter 4 and
I LOVE the callback to Yakuza 4 and one of my favourite heroic bloodshed moments, the Saejima hit on the Ueno family head.

Now that I'm doing a lot more mini games and side quests stuff than previous Yakuza games, I'm finding the amount of things to do overwhelming.

Also are there any tips of making more money from fighting goons on the street? The amount of money dropped seems a little random at the moment and I don't really get the list of 'bonuses' when I click on the options button after a fight.

Surprisingly I've been more compelled in the last couple of days to dick around in Yakuza even though I already beat it than play Zelda. Working on my businesses!

I know there is no chance in hell but can you imagine if we got a trailer at Sony's E3? Would be great for the series.

I bought Zelda and Horizon thinking I would dig into them right away, and both sat on my shelf while I finished Yakuza lol.

At first I wasn't digging Zelda, with weapons breaking after every enemy but oh boy... 5 hours in, holy shit, is it good or what... So I'm putting Zelda away first and going to concentrate on Yakuza 0. Both games really don't benefit from splitting time for the other. It's difficult to play a half hour to an hour of Yakuza 0 and feel like anything is accomplished.

Hopefully Yakuza Kiwami gets a release date, and would like some love for Yakuza 6 at E3 from Sony.

Why buy two major games so close to each other, lol.
Just keep going with Yakuza. You already started it and playing Zelda with both hurt the flow and how you play the game.

Both Yakuza 0 and I guess the Wii U version of Zelda I assumed would have small print runs so I got them. Not ideal paying full price, but oh well. I've held off on Nier, Horizon and Persona 5, though it's been hard to resist. It's almost like an addiction or something...

i don't really fuck with vgchartzzz but any idea on sales #'s? i'm hearing 70k, which isn't the 100k i wanted to see but it's still great, if true!

If that's NA alone, that would still be pretty disappointing, though certainly a lot more than Yakuza 5. But still, you'd think all the glowing reviews from Angry Joe and Jim Sterling would be able to push sales a little bit more. I was really hoping for 100k+ like you said.

Also are there any tips of making more money from fighting goons on the street? The amount of money dropped seems a little random at the moment and I don't really get the list of 'bonuses' when I click on the options button after a fight.

I don't think the bonuses amount to much, it mostly depends on the type of enemies you're fighting. Also, there's a bit of a rubberband effect going on. If you just lost all your money to Mr. Shakedown, you get way more from random thugs.

Also, and this is important, don't grind money from random thugs, holy shit, way better ways to make money open up soon. Also, Mr. Shakedown.

Jimrpg

I don't think the bonuses amount to much, it mostly depends on the type of enemies you're fighting. Also, there's a bit of a rubberband effect going on. If you just lost all your money to Mr. Shakedown, you get way more from random thugs.

Also, and this is important, don't grind money from random thugs, holy shit, way better ways to make money open up soon. Also, Mr. Shakedown.

I'm really looking forward to the businesses, as I haven't done any of that in previous Yakuzas.

And I need to beat up Mr. Shakedown, but I'm playing on hard and he took me down in 2 hits, maybe I need to level up a little first?

colonyoo

Just finished this last week, 103 hours for 84% completion, what a good game!! A few thoughts:

(Y5 spoiler, too)
Shibusawa wasn't the most exciting final boss and his sudden ambitions once he becomes the Biggest Bad kinda felt like a retread of 5's surprise final boss, but the writing and scenario surrounding it all was a lot tighter this time around, so I don't particularly mind that the end scenario wasn't super original, I guess?.

This one's really dopey but
the post-credits scene confirmed my fear that the localization adopting honorifics means we're losing Majima's "Kazzy" nickname for Kiryu, and that was always one of my favorite longstanding localization bits. At least we got the wink towards it in the radio substory...

And with the final substories,
I'm really glad the Slime/Zap guns are just as effective against the Amons as they are against the Shakedowns, 5 was the only other game I've fought them in so far but these ones felt like way more of an annoyance to try and fight legit than in that.

Also if you really want big amounts of money, there's a pretty easy method to exploit Mr. Shakedown fights (spoilered because it's fairly gamebreaking)
- unlock the CP reward "Mr. Shakedown's Deep Pockets", whenever you win a Shakedown fight you'll get an extra 50% of the total amount of cash he was carrying
- acquire the Encounter Finder item (you get it from a substory but I forget which one) so you can quickly find Mr. Shakedown on the map
- carry around the Slime gun that you get from Bob at the shrine (eventually you'll want to buy more of these at the weapon/crafting shop, even better if you can get your hands on a Zap gun)
- lose to Mr. Shakedown when you've got a lot of money on you (don't worry, you'll always be able to get it all back)
- hunt him down again, if you're not confident in your ability to take him down fairly, the Slime/Zap guns do a ridiculous amount of damage to them per shot, just dodge his attacks and unload
- when you get your revenge, you'll leave with how much he was carrying + how much he took from you + an extra 50% of that total. as you repeat this you'll eventually get to ludicrous amounts of money, click this if you wanna see what I mean
- unfortunately, only Kiryu gets to do this, as Majima doesn't get the same shrine upgrades, preventing the revenge fight portion from being of any benefit to him. He's gotta work legit!

I keep failing to the dancer with the sunglasses and feel like I'm totally outmatched. No idea how to do much better than I'm doing; his number of steps is just twice as much as mine.

Also, is Erika at Vincent not unlockable as something? I won Golden Ball against her and nothing happened.

Putty

What's the crack with Yakuza 6 chaps? Confirmed release in the west? I didn't realise it was out already in Japan...Thought it was ages away...I watched some footage on Youtube and it looks fantastic....Interesting they're now 30fps not 60fps anymore...

What's the crack with Yakuza 6 chaps? Confirmed release in the west? I didn't realise it was out already in Japan...Thought it was ages away...I watched some footage on Youtube and it looks fantastic....Interesting they're now 30fps not 60fps anymore...
Yakuza games have always been 30 fps.

Yakuza 0, Ishin and Kiwami are 60 fps only on the ps4 versions because they're cross gen.

Yakuza 6 is coming out early 2018 in the West.

After having finished the story last week, i've been busy mopping up side content in premium adventure. Over the weekend i played Majima's Cabaret Club mini game and i can't believe i skipped it during my main playthrough. It's actually fun and i kinda love it. I think Akiyama's hostess club management mini game in Y4 put me off of this initially, but this is so much more engaging! I powered through it and now i only need to finish the training for a couple platinum hostesses and acquire a 4th gold hostess, the dancing goddess, which brings me to the disco mini game.

OK, either the timing in this mini game is punishingly strict, or my TV has bigger input lag than i thought. I tried doing all the songs on easy and i only managed to beat 2, the rest i just kept failing prompt after prompt, like a dozen at a time. I was in disbelief, i couldn't even hit some by accident. Is the timing really supposed to be this precise even on easy? I even tried labeling the hdmi port as PC, but that did nothing for me. I have never had big problems beating the karaoke requirements, batting cages, and the like in any of the games, but this is on a whole another level. Right now it feels like this will be the biggest stumbling block on my way to the platinum. :/

You don't have to press the input just as it appears but you have to wait until it goes within the square borders.

A video to help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQyzUSWXdt0

Thanks. I know that, it's just that i'm completely failing the timing most of the time. It doesn't help that there's no perfect/good/bad distinction like in karaoke, either you hit it or you dont, and i mostly don't. Maybe it'll just require a lot of practice, but what got me was that i did ok at a couple of songs and even beat my Cabaret Club hostesses on their training dates, while completely and utterly failing at the rest of the songs when i tried them solo, not even getting to a 1000 points. XD

I have a kinda similar issue on the normal and hard modes for the disco mini-game. For me, I find the timing indicated by the overlapping squares to be really ambiguous and I too struggled with it compared to things like karaoke (plus I love rhythm games and play quite a few of them so found it doubly frustrating). What I started doing is looking at the order of inputs and their proximity, ignored the animation that tries to help you with the timing and just played along with the rhythm of the song rather than what was being communicated on screen, if that make sense? As in, follow the beat of the song and just refer to the button presses as a guide - most of the time the button presses correspond to well signposted stuff in the song and the better you know the song, the easier it becomes. That's how I've been getting through it anyway.

At the bolded, that's exactly my issue, i feel like i'm hitting them right according to the animations, but then it just says "bad" time after time. About your advice, that makes sense, i will try going about it that way, thanks!

A while ago i was venting here about the disco dancing difficulty and as it turns out i really was doing it wrong by just concentrating on the visual cues of the icons overlapping with the grid. Instead, the visual cues should only be taken as a rough guide, with the actual timing of button presses coming from the beat of the song. Suddenly the mini game became so much easier that i beat all but two requirements in a day or two. The only two left were Queen Of Passion (Hard) and I'm Gonna Make Her Mine (Hard), both of which i found a good deal harder than the rest of the songs.

I took a break from disco dancing to work on other mini games and returned to these two today. I conquered QOP within a few tries, but IGMHM proved to be a harder nut for me. It was mostly the last part of the song with the quick succession of notes where i couldn't quite nail down the beat and once i started missing notes there, i found it quite hard to find back into the beat and would flubb that whole segment. After a dozen attempts and the realization that the song is made up of 3 parts with distinctive rhytms, i started getting there, scoring in the mid 6000s, my top score being 6700. What finally put me over the edge was me figuring out that it's better to skip the 3rd heat action if you're doing well in the last segment. My 3rd heat prompt came up around 5600 and if i used it i wouldn't have passed the 7000 score, but since i was really feeling the beat i just kept hitting notes instead, which got me to 7992. Here's a video of it.

I know it's a miniscule score compared to what some people are doing on that song, but it was still a proud moment. It's quite amazing how this mini game went from "wtf is this shit" to "so good" territory for me. :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

The songs themselves are also really good, i wish there were long versions of them on the OST. Also, i love that Majima's and Kiryu's avatars in the dancing mini game sport an eyepatch and a furrowed brow respectively, that's a hilarious touch.

Now all that's left to 100% is Mahjong (yikes), Phantasy Zone and Space Harrier (double yikes).

I'm really looking forward to the businesses, as I haven't done any of that in previous Yakuzas.

And I need to beat up Mr. Shakedown, but I'm playing on hard and he took me down in 2 hits, maybe I need to level up a little first?

I don't think so, him taking you out in 1 or 2 hits is normal on any difficulty. Just try and play it safe. He has very simple attack patterns. Observe and learn and he'll never hit you.

Thug is the best style to take him on as Majima, while it's Rush for Kiryu. (Brawl only allows for one dodge at a time which can get dangerous against him.)

I don't think so, him taking you out in 1 or 2 hits is normal on any difficulty. Just try and play it safe. He has very simple attack patterns. Observe and learn and he'll never hit you.

Thug is the best style to take him on as Majima, while it's Rush for Kiryu. (Brawl only allows for one dodge at a time which can get dangerous against him.)

Also bring melee weapons (plus Slime or Zap Gun, if available) and plenty of Tauriner with you and go ham on him with heat actions, he'll be down in no time. I've easily beaten him dozens of times this way.

Fought the Pleasure King last night and had a weird glitch happen. I don't exactly how low her health was, but I had landed a hit, starting running away to get some space, and then suddenly the win pose triggered and the fight was over.

A while ago i was venting here about the disco dancing difficulty and as it turns out i really was doing it wrong by just concentrating on the visual cues of the icons overlapping with the grid. Instead, the visual cues should only be taken as a rough guide, with the actual timing of button presses coming from the beat of the song. Suddenly the mini game became so much easier that i beat all but two requirements in a day or two.

This is a general problem with minigames like karaoke and baseball; you're expected to decode how to beat the game by paying attention to some tiny animation or ignore the main UI elements you're interacting with. Why not make the actual game mechanics challenging, like just make a solid rhythm game, instead of this slight-of-hand the designers keep pulling?

I like dancing, I like karaoke, and I like rhythm games, but the UI is really really bad in both of those. Their designs actively work against keeping in time with the rhythm, almost purposefully trying to throw you off. Whoever designs these games is a sadist or something.

Karaoke is so easy in these games. I'm not seeing the high difficulty some people see on the mini game, I've managed to get 90+ scores on all the songs on my first try on any of the games bar Majima's song in Dead Souls due to its sheer speed. I wish there was a harder difficulty still, just for people like me who want an even bigger challenge on the songs! Else its usually just down to me challenging myself to try and get perfect scores on the songs for the heck of it.

Anyway, Yakuza 6 switches up the way notes are displayed for Karaoke making it even easier still, very easy to see which notes are coming next, so I think that most people who had issues with 0 should have no problems with getting 90's in 6 (heck, getting a perfect score in 6 for most of the songs is pretty straight forward I found).

Disco Dancing is just down to timing, once it clicks its not too bad bar maybe 1 or 2 battles in the game (but really I don't recall having too many issues with it, I remember having way trouble doing the Yakuza Ishin dancing games on the highest difficulties, but I still really loved those bits!).

Likewise, maybe its because I've played the batting cage for the last 11 years now so I have the basic technique down, but I didn't have any issues with it in 0, I found it to be noticeably easier compared to Yakuza 3's challenge - which had you playing the mini game with no targeting crosshair on the hardest difficulty (a challenge I've still not managed to complete). Again, 6 switches up the playstyle on the batting cage and makes it slightly easier again to clear all the stages in it, so hopefully people will get on better with it in 6.

The only mini game I didn't love in 0 was the Cat Fighting, and that's down to how random it would be, they did technically fix that issue in Kiwami, but they went so far the other way that the AI is borderline brain dead for all but one mission, pretty much making it a completely pointless mini game.

Karaoke is so easy in these games. I'm not seeing the high difficulty some people see on the mini game, I've managed to get 90+ scores on all the songs on my first try on any of the games bar Majima's song in Dead Souls due to its sheer speed.

Well, this is my first Yakuza game so all these issues are fresh. Maybe you've just gotten used to the quirks of these minigames over the years, but that doesn't alleviate the design issues with them.

The main problem with the karaoke game is that unlike games like Rock Band, the notes don't stream at a constant tempo. The indicator speeds up and slows down on each line because the devs are trying to fit notes for the lyrics on the screen. The speed changes makes the visual indicators mostly useless and you pretty much have to learn the exact timing of every note instinctually in order to hit them. So instead of ramping up the difficulty by making the songs harder, even easy songs are hard because the UI works against the player.

edit: I want to be clear that I still enjoy most of these games, but mostly because of the content (animations, music) and not the mechanics. But they become frustrating when I try to do anything at a higher difficulty.

I'm loving the real estate mini game. It's so addictive and I finally got a reliable way to earn a lot of money. I used the funds to finish all the Pocket Circuit quests which was totally worth it.

Well, this is my first Yakuza game so all these issues are fresh. Maybe you've just gotten used to the quirks of these minigames over the years, but that doesn't alleviate the design issues with them.

The main problem with the karaoke game is that unlike games like Rock Band, the notes don't stream at a constant tempo. The indicator speeds up and slows down on each line because the devs are trying to fit notes for the lyrics on the screen. The speed changes makes the visual indicators mostly useless and you pretty much have to learn the exact timing of every note instinctually in order to hit them. So instead of ramping up the difficulty by making the songs harder, even easy songs are hard because the UI works against the player.

edit: I want to be clear that I still enjoy most of these games, but mostly because of the content (animations, music) and not the mechanics. But they become frustrating when I try to do anything at a higher difficulty.

Yakuza isn't the only game to do the variable speeds mid song, the Project Miku music games do a similar thing (and coincidentally are also made by Sega!). Maybe its experience or something else, but I can judge speed changes ok just by the number of notes that pop up on the next row - tons of notes to me suggest a slower speed, while less/more spaced out notes suggest a faster speed. That tactic, and learning the songs (I listen to the soundtracks loads as well) probably helped.

Been meaning to post in this thread since I first got the game but I've been consistently engrossed and I just finished up the story yesterday finally. Just under 120 hours for the story and about 83% of the completion list. I also somehow finished all of the climax battles which I thought was going to be the one thing that I wouldn't be able to do in addition to Legend mode.

I already had high hopes for this as my first Yakuza game due to what I've been reading and seeing around but this exceeded said expectations. The characters (Kiryu is the greatest ��), story, and soundtrack really blew me away. I think I knew this game was going to be special for me when I did the early substory where
Kiryu helps get back the stolen video game for the little kid, eventually running into that kid's father who was desperate to get it for the kid
. I don't know what I really expected but this game was really heartfelt and at times even really cute/wholesome.

I'm honestly not much of a beat em up/fighter kind of player but even the fighting in this was enjoyable for me most of the time. For what it's worth I was playing on easy but even the more difficult climax battles became a bit fun once I started to get the hang of things. Except for Proving Grounds 8, that one can choke. Speaking of climax battles though, the Ultimate ones were really easy short of Ultimate 2? The fight with
Sera
in that one was really difficult but I ended up
spamming the circle attack in breaker while dodging his attacks and slowly cutting back his health bar and doing heat actions when possible
. All that's left for the platinum for me at this point is scattered side content (mahjong is intimidating but at this point I feel like I'm so far, I might as well try?), finishing up the cabaret stuff, and Legend difficulty. It will probably be a bit until I do the Legend difficulty but I definitely see myself chipping away at that 100% in pieces until I'm done.

The only thing that really stands out to me as of right now from the game that I disliked was the catfighting mini-game. That was a miserable experience that I grinded out while watching 2 movies and doing minimal input short of passively button mashing. Really glad that one felt more like a one-off than a common thing in the game to say the least. It also would've been nice to have a "quick restart/retry" option for most of the mini-games and climax battles as I spent a lot of time waiting through menus and loading screens but it isn't a huge deal.

I don't know where I'm going with this but I just wanted to write/ramble about this for a little bit somewhere. This is the most obsessed I've been with a game since probably at least 2009 or 2010. At times I feel like I'm not into video games at all anymore so it's nice to be reminded how great they can be every once in awhile. I'm going to preorder Kiwami when it's available and I have the rest of the series that has been released in NA short of Dead Souls ready to go for future playing. Can't wait for some further news on Kiwani and 6!

Jimrpg

Also bring melee weapons (plus Slime or Zap Gun, if available) and plenty of Tauriner with you and go ham on him with heat actions, he'll be down in no time. I've easily beaten him dozens of times this way.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips.

Once you get your hands on a slime or zap gun you're set. Just go buy a whole stock of them cause all the other weapons are worthless anyway. If you've done the real estate or hostess minigames and unlocked the outer rims you can take him down even faster. Those increased damage unlocks also increases weapon damage.

Jimrpg

Once you get your hands on a slime or zap gun you're set. Just go buy a whole stock of them cause all the other weapons are worthless anyway. If you've done the real estate or hostess minigames and unlocked the outer rims you can take him down even faster. Those increased damage unlocks also increases weapon damage.

Where would I get a slime or zap gun?

colonyoo

Where would I get a slime or zap gun?
I think Majima gets a Slime Gun as part of one of the free DLC packages you pick up from Bob at the shrine. I could be wrong on this bit but I think once you obtain a weapon you can freely buy it from the Tiger and Dragon weapons shop, so you can buy plenty once the shops open up in both character's stories.

The Zap Gun isn't so much stronger that you'll be missing out on ridiculous damage if you just stick with the Slime Gun, but to get it you'll have to do some equipment searching at the weapons shop, it took me a while to finally retrieve one.

I'm just starting to learn how to play Mahjong and i don't have a full grasp on it yet. Can anyone explain why i didn't win the round with these two hands, when it was my turn?

yakuza0_2017032616035o1uea.png

I thought it's sufficient to have 4 sets and a pair, but i didn't get a prompt to end the round and instead had to discard a tile, which in one of these cases caused a ron for the next player.

Edit: I just checked the rules and the default setting is 2 han, so i take it that hands that fall below that don't qualify as a round ender?

Edit: Hmm, had the same situation happen again, despite changed rules.

Edit 3: Under additional rules it says the hand has to be worth at least 1 yaku, now i only need to find out what that entails. :)

Rymuth

I'm just starting to learn how to play Mahjong and i don't have a full grasp on it yet. Can anyone explain why i didn't win the round with these two hands, when it was my turn?

I thought it's sufficient to have 4 sets and a pair, but i didn't get a prompt to end the round and instead had to discard a tile, which in one of these cases caused a ron for the next player.

Edit: I just checked the rules and the default setting is 2 han, so i take it that hands that fall below that don't qualify as a round ender?

Edit: Hmm, had the same situation happen again, despite changed rules.
*sees the mahjong sign*

I have been summoned.

To go out, you need to clear two han. You managed to clear only one

Winning by calling = 1 han

You should've tried to spice it up. Maybe gotten a Dora or something

I could make a thread about elements in a game that you see and are happy to say you have 0 interest in wasting time on with Mahjong in Yakuza being my key example.

Top Bottom