• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Shaneus

What fighting style should I pick? I'm playing on easy and I don't like dying and restarting battles
Firstly,
giphy.gif

But I started with Rush (for Kiryu) until I built up Thug. I think I just stuck with whatever the blue one was for Majima.

jdstorm

Banned
What fighting style should I pick? I'm playing on easy and I don't like dying and restarting battles

Try buying/equiping some gear and make sure you buy the aditional health abilities that work across all classes per character.

Also make sure to keep healing items on hand just in case.

danowat

Banned
This has got to be my GOTY for 2017, I don't think I can remember a game, in all my decades of gaming, that has continually surprised me, shocked me, and made me belly laugh, so so good.

Opa-Pa

So, I beat Yakuza 5 tonight and decided I'd give 0 a try before bed, just a try... And suddenly I made it to chapter 2.

God damn, this is fantastic. I love the combat changed, how money also works as experience, the story so far, the way the Kazuma is noticeably different and more bratty, yet the same guy I like so much. Everything is great.

I can't tell if the feel of the combat is really that different from 5 or it's just the jump to 60fps, but it feels great. Hell even bosses are such a step up,
Kuze
felt like an actual fair opponent who had the same capabilities as me instead of a walking sponge who could activate super armor every 3 seconds.

And god, I had no idea I missed the ambient music from Y1 until it kicked in here in 0, why did they ever get rid of that? It adds a lot to the game.

I spent a lot of time at the arcades too. Got every UFO catcher prize (Opa Op!!!) and had great fun playing Out Run. I can't wait to take control of Majima and unlock Fantasy Zone.

Not everything is perfect tho, the game looks rough... You can tell it's a PS3 title. And it's weird, I don't know if it's the resolution, but I feel like at times it actually looks worse than Y5. Also what's the deal with those new low budget cutscenes? Weird. Noticed some screen tearing too... But eh, small details.

But yeah, this game is fantastic so far, I can see why it got such good word of mouth despite being a Yakuza game.

Started this last night as my first foray into the Yakuza franchise. I'm hooked on the story already and am enjoying the combat. Was not expecting the karaoke minigame to be as intense as it is.

Opa-Pa

Do regular mobs ever get tougher? It's a shame that so far the combat is fantastic but every non-story relevant goon gets KO'd in a single combo lol. Like I can't even use heat actions.

I thought maybe I could skip the power surge abilities to balance it but no way I'm missing the rest of the trees for this.

Also wow, the disco dancing mini game has enough depth to be its own game haha. This game is fantastic and feels like the true modern evolution for the series.

Do regular mobs ever get tougher? It's a shame that so far the combat is fantastic but every non-story relevant goon gets KO'd in a single combo lol. Like I can't even use heat actions.

I thought maybe I could skip the power surge abilities to balance it but no way I'm missing the rest of the trees for this.

Also wow, the disco dancing mini game has enough depth to be its own game haha. This game is fantastic and feels like the true modern evolution for the series.
The mobs in general do get tougher but by that point you have enough abilities + you'll have mastered the system enough that it won't make a difference.

If you're finding the game not difficult enough, consider equipping the Charismatic Autobiography.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, that's what I feared. Does the item make enemies take a couple more hits before they're out? Honestly I'm used to these games getting easier starting with 4, and I don't want this to be crazy hard, but I want battles to last more than 6 seconds haha.

It makes all the enemies come at you at the same time, and come at you constantly even when you're on the ground.

They no longer come at you one at a time like an old school martial arts movie.

The mobs in general do get tougher but by that point you have enough abilities + you'll have mastered the system enough that it won't make a difference

That's why I love the money=EXP system 0 has. It lets you skip all the regular mobs on the street without any real downsides, as there are way better ways to make lots of money.

I feel like if you're using the Legendary styles, regular enemies are a lot more agressive though.

That's why I love the money=EXP system 0 has. It lets you skip all the regular mobs on the street without any real downsides, as there are way better ways to make lots of money.

I feel like if you're using the Legendary styles, regular enemies are a lot more agressive though.
By the time you unlock the Legendary style, the mobs do get a bit more aggressive and have more weapons in general.

Plus combined with the fact that Legendary style is good ol' fashioned Yakuza, you have to time your attacks because you can't armour or cancel into dodge at any time.

The story kinda went to shit for me after/during chapter
tbh. :/ i know everything that happens before it does.
Edit: but the game sure knows how to rip my head/wig off with these action moments whew lord! Slay me SEGA.

Jimrpg

Not everything is perfect tho, the game looks rough... You can tell it's a PS3 title. And it's weird, I don't know if it's the resolution, but I feel like at times it actually looks worse than Y5. Also what's the deal with those new low budget cutscenes? Weird. Noticed some screen tearing too... But eh, small details.

But yeah, this game is fantastic so far, I can see why it got such good word of mouth despite being a Yakuza game.

Yakuza 0 looks amazing to me. That 1080p/60fps is a huge jump from Y5's 720p/30fps blurriness. In fact I feel like Y5 is a step down from Y4. I don't even think Y5 is native 720p either, it's a bit below that.

Anyway, one thing that helps Yakuza is that the world is chock full of detail everywhere in both indoor and outdoor areas, it's just always interesting to look at, the detail helps to mask what is a PS3 game but honestly it looks more like a PS4 than PS3 game for me.

The graphical detail in the characters faces are also as good as anything else on the system.

And this game came out 2 years ago in Japan, and it's not even a AAA game, the sega devs are wizards.

Yakuza 0 looks amazing to me. That 1080p/60fps is a huge jump from Y5's 720p/30fps blurriness. In fact I feel like Y5 is a step down from Y4. I don't even think Y5 is native 720p either, it's a bit below that.

Anyway, one thing that helps Yakuza is that the world is chock full of detail everywhere in both indoor and outdoor areas, it's just always interesting to look at, the detail helps to mask what is a PS3 game but honestly it looks more like a PS4 than PS3 game for me.

The graphical detail in the characters faces are also as good as anything else on the system.

And this game came out 2 years ago in Japan, and it's not even a AAA game, the sega devs are wizards.

Fairly certain the only natice 720p Yakuza game on the PS3 (at least up to 5) was Kenzan. All other games run at sub native HD resolutions, which is one of the reasons I want remasters on the PC/PS4 so bad.

4 looked darn nice though where it mattered - character models for the main characters were excellent and some of those rain effects in the opening Akiyama chapter were excellent. 5 though did look better in other ways than 4 to me - some of the animations were redone (walking up stairs for example) but there are some things that looked pretty bad (the water for one thing, looked like oil) and some of the texturing was really bad thanks to the game being so darn big/having so many cities.

0 definitely looks like the best of the PS3 bunch. The res jump alone beats the crap out of all the PS3 Yakuza games, plus the better texturing and frame rate just help even more.
Then you have Yakuza 6, which sacrifices the buttery smooth frame rate but finally gives us a proper "next gen" looking Yakuza game. Seriously, when everyone reaches Kamuracho at night its worth just walking round and exploring to marvel at how much nicer the game looks now (its seriously one of the most impressive things I've seen this gen, helped by the lack of loading when entering shops etc.)

danthefan

I'm in chapter 6 and I've met the rich dude in the green suit, just so I'm not missing anything is he just a way to transfer money between the two characters? I'm starting to make a reasonable amount from the property thing, though I'm spending it all on upgrades and more property as soon as it comes in.

I'm in chapter 6 and I've met the rich dude in the green suit, just so I'm not missing anything is he just a way to transfer money between the two characters? I'm starting to make a reasonable amount from the property thing, though I'm spending it all on upgrades and more property as soon as it comes in.

Pretty much. Useful as well, since it's a lot easier to farm money with Kazuma then it is with Majima.

jdstorm

Banned
Im having heaps of fun with this game, but i just really want to complain about one thing.

It sucks that the game randomly speeds up the tempo of the bar in Karaoke. It makes it basically impossible until you know the timing on the speed bumps.

Im having heaps of fun with this game, but i just really want to complain about one thing.

It sucks that the game randomly speeds up the tempo of the bar in Karaoke. It makes it basically impossible until you know the timing on the speed bumps.

Not the only Asian rhythm action game to do it. DJ Max, Superbeat Xonic, any of the Miku games... never saw it as a problem myself, I could always get a 90+ the first time I played any of the songs. If anything I want a harder mode so that they'd be more challenging!

Shahadan

The whole scene with the blind girl in the massage cabinet was fucking amazing.

(also the game is too easy, even on hard :( )

Edit: Holy fuck the end of chapter 6 had me crying like a baby
I don't know anymore if my standards have been set so low after years of crap or if this game cutscenes are just that good

jdstorm

Banned
Not the only Asian rhythm action game to do it. DJ Max, Superbeat Xonic, any of the Miku games... never saw it as a problem myself, I could always get a 90+ the first time I played any of the songs. If anything I want a harder mode so that they'd be more challenging!

If its harder/faster whatever. Have a difficulty thats equivalent to 250bpm. Just keep it consistent.

Anyway, just finished the main story. Totally blown away by everything. To think that this series wasnt even on my radar until late last year, and now its quickly become one of my favourites.

Now time to jump in and finish up some of the side activities via New Game+

The whole scene with the blind girl in the massage cabinet was fucking amazing.

(also the game is too easy, even on hard :( )

Edit: Holy fuck the end of chapter 6 had me crying like a baby
I don't know anymore if my standards have been set so low after years of crap or if this game cutscenes are just that good
The cutscenes in this series have been consistently putting 90% of games out there to shame.

This is one of the few games where the presentation of the story and the acting is a legitimate HIGHLIGHT of the game.

Cess007

Finally starting to play this. I've reached chapter 3 already and man, it's just as good as I imagined. I've found myself using a lot the Rush style and can't wait to sink hours and hours into this.

Also, the OST is amazing. The few boss battles I've encountered, the themes are incredible.

Opa-Pa

Been playing a bit more in my free time and god, so far this is the most quality game in the series by a long stretch. They even brought back consistently memorable music to the series, which IMO hasn't happened since its PS2 days. Pretty much the only thing I dislike about it is the brain dead easy regular mobs (haven't found the charismatic autobiography yet), but they've gotten a bit more tough recently.

I'm in chapter 7 now, and holy shit chapter 6 with Kazuma was intense and pretty badass. I love that I'm starting to actually care about Nishiki, since him coming off as nothing more than a selfish, ungrateful fool in Y1 really lessened the impact of the story.

Now I'm doing some side quests with Majima and noticed Komaki fights just like classic Kazuma, cool detail!

Also, Friday Night is the GOAT.

Shaneus

Now that I've worked out how to customise the menu music on my Vita, I'm going to make this the main background music for the main menu. It's just so perfect.

I also like this one (I can't remember what scenario it was used in though).

But yeah, I still can't find that cute little guitar strumming music song. I know it plays when you talk to the money/stock trader guy with Majima, and a number of the side stories.

Just completed this. It was amazing. A real high point along with 2 for the series.

One small thought regarding the excellent ending though...
I will be bummed for the rest of my life at that final encounter between Majima and Makoto. That shit cuts deep. Oh well, at least she didn't die!

Tamanon

Banned
Up to Chapter 11 now. Got the Trouble Finder off a quest(shows everyone who has a subquest on the map), and that made me burn like 8 hours of my time, lol.

danthefan

Up to Chapter 11 now. Got the Trouble Finder off a quest(shows everyone who has a subquest on the map), and that made me burn like 8 hours of my time, lol.

I've probably just spent about 4 or 5 hours in chapter 6 buying up properties. I can't stop! Think I'll get all ten of the Gambling King and move on with the story. Starting to bring in a decent bit of cash now though.

Ydelnae

I finally caved in! I've only played for about 90 minutes but I'm already liking it better than 4 (dropped it before switching to the second character) and the battle system is actually fun. However, I'm getting a little confused on how the Yakuza works and which character is of higher rank than the rest. I should investigate on that before I keep playing because I the scene with the 3 lieutenants at the start of the game messed up with my brain lol

jdstorm

Banned
I've probably just spent about 4 or 5 hours in chapter 6 buying up properties. I can't stop! Think I'll get all ten of the Gambling King and move on with the story. Starting to bring in a decent bit of cash now though.

You can also use CP points to speed up the rate at which those properties give you cash. Would 100% recomend doing it.

Cess007

How do you buy properties? I bought the first one from the tutorial, but I wasn't able to find how to buy any other place to buy

Shaneus

How do you buy properties? I bought the first one from the tutorial, but I wasn't able to find how to buy any other place to buy
Just walk around the city. Specifically, in the designated areas that are highlighted in the options menu when you look at your business progress. When you walk past I've you can buy, it'll ask you if you want to buy it.

Jimrpg

I finally caved in! I've only played for about 90 minutes but I'm already liking it better than 4 (dropped it before switching to the second character) and the battle system is actually fun. However, I'm getting a little confused on how the Yakuza works and which character is of higher rank than the rest. I should investigate on that before I keep playing because I the scene with the 3 lieutenants at the start of the game messed up with my brain lol

I was going to make a graphic on the Yakuza Tojo Clan Structure but this page has all the explanations you need to get your head around who's who in Yakuza 0.

http://yakuzafan.com/tojo-clan-day-11-yakuza-0-countdown/

xezuru

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I prefer people playing 1 first instead of 0, the game kinda clearly doesn't explain the Yakuza structures as well as for a newcomer, still fantastic game, and should still be great to enjoy.

danthefan

You can also use CP points to speed up the rate at which those properties give you cash. Would 100% recomend doing it.

Yep I've spent all my CP on that, helps a lot.

There's no clue in-game as to what properties are for sale but if you walk up to certain ones in each region you'll be prompted to press X and then you can buy.

Tbh I looked up the IGN guide which tells you exactly where they are and how much they cost.

Jimrpg

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I prefer people playing 1 first instead of 0, the game kinda clearly doesn't explain the Yakuza structures as well as for a newcomer, still fantastic game, and should still be great to enjoy.

It was definitely hard to wrap my head around it when I first started playing the series in Y1 and particularly Y2.

But I thought that 0 was on the surface level pretty simple compared to past plots. It was basically the three headed monster of Kuze, Shibusawa and Awano (and its cool that you get to fight all three), led by Sohei Dojima. The acting Tojo chairman didn't really have much of an influence on the plot. And there were outside forces like Kazama, Sera trying to influence the proceedings within the Tojo Clan. Shimano and the Omi Alliance were just wildcards to keep the player on their toes.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I have to admit yakuza clan hierarchy stuff doesn't get any clearer even playing Y1 first. Hell, I spent the majority of that game trying to understand who's a boss to who and not grasping most of the plot because of it lol.

It's big part of the reason I'm looking forward to Kiwami!

Top Bottom