• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
My copy is arriving today. Hopefully I'll have some time to play during the evening. This year is going to be amazing for Yakuza fans!

aravuus

Started the download before I left for work and something about the massive banner with Kiryu and Majima got me excited as fuck, like I was almost giggling at home lmao

7 and a half hours to go until I get to go home

Jimrpg

This game is so freaking gorgeous. I can't believe people think this doesn't look good.

<3

Yeah. Art direction can help older games immensely. Some reviews criticised it for bad textures and being bad technically (like the Angry Joe review) but its two years old and its not even got a AAA budget.

I loved the Angry Joe review btw.

IrishNinja

got my copy installing & just put up the poster next to my Die Hard one, where it belongs

Strictly Business tonight, fellas:

fuck, i'm here having a beer on some softcore shit...whiskey time!

2) Enjoy the goofiness of Yakuza 0, but when you have a chance, read the book Tokyo Vice by the guy who did that interview, Jake Adelstein. It's a great look into the not so pretty, real-life realities of the Yakuza, and it's a damn exciting story in its own right too.

oh man, i've been sitting on a copy of this book since like...the last yakuza OT where someone put me onto it, haha. thanks man!
and yeah, that 3 interview was hilarious - i love how they not only knock how cheaply he dresses for a don, they say if he got in nearly as many fights he'd get booted so fast, haha

Any tips on darts? seems really tough to be accurate.

Two tips. One is practice either count up or 901 (or whatever the highest score you can set it as) and try and find the sweet spot in the darts. Usually its tilt the stick back for about a second, then push the stick forward (its really hard to explain it with words...). Play around with the timing until it clicks. Play a one player match (as in, not facing the CPU) and just keep practicing util you find the sweet spot. If you push back, then push forward to fast you'll go wildly off course, if you take too much time, chances are the dart will hit a target far lower than the one your aiming for (fun fact, this isn't such a bad thing sometimes, as missing a triple 20 may still land you with a bullseye!)

Also, throughout the game you should be able to get better sets of darts which dramatically improve your performance. You should be able to buy some at the pawn shop (for a hefty price). Its a pity they didn't stick with the ideas introduced in 5 - you could mod darts so that you could tweak the stats to your liking. In the end you should end up with a "overpowered" set of darts which makes things way easier.

Rymuth

Strictly Business tonight, fellas:

wwJOVlb.jpg
That is awesome.

Stuart444

Can't wait for this, should arrive here sometime today I hope.

Spent the last few days playing Kiwami (finished Ch7) while waiting for this so the new gameplay systems won't feel to different for me... though I can't wait to try out Majima. The descriptions of his styles sound great.

Majima is awesome <3

mike6467

I have tomorrow off, and I saw Amazon shipped my order via UPS. This means it won't be here until 5-7PM tomorrow. I have tomorrow off, did I mention that? So yeah, I'm currently downloading the digital version. Not sure if I'll try to sell the physical copy and just keep the bonuses, or return it, but goddamn I'm not about to sit around all day tomorrow when I could be kicking things and doing all the mini games.

So hyped.

Chase17

Really enjoyed what I've played so far. Only an hour in but the story looks promising and the game has good humor. Picked hard although I haven't played any of the games before. Looks like I'll be able to change it if it's too tough though.

Thought it was hilarious when Kiryu actually
used his fists to make people sober

Can't wait to play some more of this tomorrow.

Really enjoyed what I've played so far. Only an hour in but the story looks promising and the game has good humor. Picked hard although I haven't played any of the games before. Looks like I'll be able to change it if it's too tough though.

Thought it was hilarious when Kiryu actually
used his fists to make people sober

Can't wait to play some more of this tomorrow.

In Yakuza, fists solve everything.

danowat

Banned
Two tips. One is practice either count up or 901 (or whatever the highest score you can set it as) and try and find the sweet spot in the darts. Usually its tilt the stick back for about a second, then push the stick forward (its really hard to explain it with words...). Play around with the timing until it clicks. Play a one player match (as in, not facing the CPU) and just keep practicing util you find the sweet spot. If you push back, then push forward to fast you'll go wildly off course, if you take too much time, chances are the dart will hit a target far lower than the one your aiming for (fun fact, this isn't such a bad thing sometimes, as missing a triple 20 may still land you with a bullseye!)

Also, throughout the game you should be able to get better sets of darts which dramatically improve your performance. You should be able to buy some at the pawn shop (for a hefty price). Its a pity they didn't stick with the ideas introduced in 5 - you could mod darts so that you could tweak the stats to your liking. In the end you should end up with a "overpowered" set of darts which makes things way easier.

Thanks, that's very helpful, I've also just noticed that you can move your hand after you start throwing, throwing doesn't 'lock in' like I assumed it would, so that makes a difference.

Tizoc

Any tips to completing the Rush training where you need to dodge for 1 minute? The way the areais set up makes it difficult to move around properly 8S

plidex

I played for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I stopped because it's 3:15 AM and I have to study tomorrow.

The game looks better than I expected, I understand it's not a graphical showcase, but it looks good. It has a lot of style.

I loved the karaoke, I did better than I expected and the music was nice.

I wanted to try some arcade games before quitting but I couldn't enter the Sega store, maybe it will become available later.

Considering how everyone says the pacing starts very slow on Yakuza games (I only played the start of Y5 and that was extremely slow) this one didn't seem too slow, in the first hour there's already some interesting developments.

I was a bit surprised to see the archaic PS3-like save system, I was hoping for autosave.

EDIT: Trophy card looking good:

Any tips to completing the Rush training where you need to dodge for 1 minute? The way the areais set up makes it difficult to move around properly 8S

Is that in the parking lot where there is very little space to move? If it is, its a pain unfortunately, so the best thing to do (assuming you can) at that point is to unlock any dash upgrade moves (such as being able to dash X times in a row), that certainly helped me.

Also, I forget if this actually works, but I think I might have just given up on dashing and just ran away from the enemy for most of the fight, only doing the dodge move if the enemy attacked at close quarters.

What does it mean when you get that pulse from the minimap while running around?

That means your right near a story objective.

IrishNinja

okay so sadly no suntory here (never had it, meant to try it since bill murray was sellin it) but buffalo trace whiskey & coke in a classic game room mug, think i'm ready to dive in here

Yeah. Art direction can help older games immensely. Some reviews criticised it for bad textures and being bad technically (like the Angry Joe review) but its two years old and its not even got a AAA budget.

I loved the Angry Joe review btw.

Yeah, the art direction is really good. The other thing that helps the game is its great IQ. Everything looks so clean and sharp

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't believe it they haven't fixed the save system,even on PS4.

Not only does it still use the godawful ancient OS save menu, but it still needs to save the game twice and it makes you press a button to acknowledge both save files every time you save.

That is some archaic shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kiryu is actually refreshing in this one because he's not treated like every single Yakuza since 3 onwards. It's not 'oh my god dragon of dojima' 'hey old man' 'you want ot leave yakuza but you cant!'

which is why im not near as excited for 6. would rather have a yakuza 0-2 or hell yakuza -1 where you play as kazama in the 70s

Not only does it still use the godawful ancient OS save menu, but it still needs to save the game twice and it makes you press a button to acknowledge both save files every time you save.

Well for whatever reason you had save anywhere functionality in Ishin but they took that away for 0. Don't worry, they fixed it for 6, now the game autosaves every time you do anything (which can actually be more annoying, since I still need to manually save before doing certain things - like playing Mah Jong to make sure I don't lose a packet of money from a couple of bad games!)

Rymuth

Kiryu is actually refreshing in this one because he's not treated like every single Yakuza since 3 onwards. It's not 'oh my god dragon of dojima' 'hey old man' 'you want ot leave yakuza but you cant!'

which is why im not near as excited for 6. would rather have a yakuza 0-2 or hell yakuza -1 where you play as kazama in the 70s
Kiryu had a hard life.
He almost lost it at the end of Y3 and 5

The Y4-Y6 incarnation is logical in that sense when you think about it.

Thoraxes

I'll be picking up my copy after work tomorrow. Won't start till after I finish World of FF though.

Super pumped to blindly jump into the series.

IrishNinja

so, that was the best karaoke video of all time, right there

yeah i do wish we'd ditch the system settings saving too, but god it's almost a series staple now

...or hell yakuza -1 where you play as kazama in the 70s

oh my god, yes please

16x AF would do this game wonders

things could always be better, but i've yet to play Ishin so this is my first PS4 yakuza game and god does it look great & run smooth compared to what i'm used to

Despite the prompt you don't actually need to press the button. If you don't do anything it'll continue automatically after a brief time.

technically yakuza zero is a ps3 game upres-ed for ps4.

yakuza 6 actually has auto save and some. look forward to similar archaic save system in kiwami.

Top Bottom