• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

Impulsor

Thanks for supporting the series spontaneously!

glad you're all joining the party =)

Yes, yes, YES! Welcome to the wacky and brutal world of Yakuza :D

It gives me Sleeping Dogs vibes. That game was a sleeper hit for me and I completely destroyed it, I loved it.

I know it isn't the same, but I get the same nice and warm feeling watching reviews of this game than I got when playing Sleeping dogs.

I seriously don't understand how this went by unnoticed for me. Always wanted to play a Yakuza game. Now I'm hyped!

EDIT: Also, awesome community too huh? It's cool to have such a welcome!

Freeman76

This is sort of my problem with reviews. Sure they're subjective and based on opinion but I feel if you are a truly good journalist then you should be able to recognize quality even if it is a genre you normally do not enjoy. If you ask me, to not judge it like that only gives the game an inaccurate representation.

Not to mention nowadays any old dude with a blog posting reviews is linked in a review thread. End up with a load of reviews from people nobody ever heard of. Reviews are more useless now than ever, too many cooks in the kitchen.

LordKano

I'm sure the question has already been asked, but shouldn't I just wait for Kiwami to release first ? Since it's a remake of the first game, it may be logical to start with this one, since 0 may make references to events from the future.

Impulsor

I'm sure the question has already been asked, but shouldn't I just wait for Kiwami to release first ? Since it's a remake of the first game, it may be logical to start with this one, since 0 may make references to events from the future.

Yakuza is a Prequel to the first game. It happens 17 years before the first game.

It does have pro support, all new ps4 games have it.

This was released 2 years ago in Japan. It does not have Pro support. It runs at 1080p 60 fps though.

farisr

Just did a quick google search. Since Kiwami is a remake of 1, but released after 0, it actually has references to zero apparently.

So better to start off with this than Kiwami.

LordKano

Yakuza is a Prequel to the first game. It happens 17 years before the first game.

I know, but it was developped after all the others, so maybe it has references to older games, even though it's before on the timeline ? I don't know, I'm just asking, as that's something that isn't unusual from prequels.

ZeroX03

Banned

I know, but it was developped after all the others, so maybe it has references to older games, even though it's before on the timeline ? I don't know, I'm just asking, as that's something that isn't unusual from prequels.

Nothing of any consequence, this is a great place to jump in. It even have some side plots that are continued in Kiwami. It's designed to be played first.

Impulsor

Just did a quick google search. Since Kiwami is a remake of 1, but released after 0, it actually has references to zero apparently.

So better to start off with this than Kiwami.

Nuff said :)

Well, even in Japan Yakuza 0 was released before Kiwami. I don't see the harm in playing it first.

60fps? Yay

No Pro support? Boo

They really should just do a quick patch and add 4K/SSAA for 1080p

Makes ya wonder why Sony chose this silly way to hold back the power of the Pro when it hasn't once been a compatibility issue for the Xbox One S. I feel bad for the developers getting asked to do extra work for old games they've finished but at the same time I need those graphics dog.

Gacha-pin

You will see lots of references from the older titles...I mean future. But I guess you won't notice those or those won't click you at all if you haven't played the older titles. So not a big problem.

farisr

Makes ya wonder why Sony chose this silly way to hold back the power of the Pro when it hasn't once been a compatibility issue for the Xbox One S.
Because the Xbox One S was a very small upclock as opposed to the upgrades in the Pro. Cerny said they did quite a lot of testing in regards to this already and the results simply weren't acceptable. Probably broke the logic, or physics, or timings outright in some games.

Because the Xbox One S was a very small upclock as opposed to the upgrades in the Pro. Cerny said they did quite a lot of testing in regards to this already and the results simply weren't acceptable. Probably broke the logic, or physics, or timings outright in some games.

What's unacceptable is new hardware playing the exact same as the old hardware.

I'm still getting Yakuza because it's 1080p/60, but knowing that it can be more is still disappointing me.

Makes ya wonder why Sony chose this silly way to hold back the power of the Pro when it hasn't once been a compatibility issue for the Xbox One S. I feel bad for the developers getting asked to do extra work for old games they've finished but at the same time I need those graphics dog.

You cannot compare X1S to what pro does....

I'll try and tip toe around spoilers as much as possible, but having played the entire series thus far:

0 doesn't really reference the other Yakuza games in plot bar one little scene referencing Seijima and the flashback events that happened in 4 (basically 4 showed a flashback to Majima and Seijima's youth, and those scenes take place before 0). However this is explained fine in 0 so its not as if you'll be left scratching your head wondering what's going on.

Otherwise the references are relegated to characters that turn up. Some characters - like Nishiki and Dojima are main support characters, while other characters play smaller roles in the story such as (minor spoilers)
Shimano or Kazama
. However the game does throw a couple of nice curve balls in terms of a couple of unexpected cameo's (not saying who, but only fans of the series will get their significance in turning up). But these are mainly just cameo's in side stories, so while little Easter eggs like those will pass you by, unless you can play through 1-5 before touching 0 just to get a couple of little in jokes you'll be more than fine starting with 0.

Kiwami is mainly a straight up scene for scene remake of the original Yakuza with a few added scenes here and there (mainly with Nishiki, a couple with Majima etc.) HOWEVER there is one side mission plot that is a direct continuation from 0 (the Pocket Racer mini game) so its well worth playing 0 first, then Kiwami just for this little side story (its excellent).

Plus the way 0 ends, it basically feeds right into the beginning of Kiwami story wise, basically think of 0 as the "Rogue One" to Kiwami/Yakuza 1's "A New Hope".

notaskwid

Yeah, I knew there was an Yakuza game released in January last year but for some reason I was thinking it had been this one instead of Kiwami.

LordKano

I'll try and tip toe around spoilers as much as possible, but having played the entire series thus far:

0 doesn't really reference the other Yakuza games in plot bar one little scene referencing Seijima and the flashback events that happened in 4 (basically 4 showed a flashback to Majima and Seijima's youth, and those scenes take place before 0). However this is explained fine in 0 so its not as if you'll be left scratching your head wondering what's going on.

Otherwise the references are relegated to characters that turn up. Some characters - like Nishiki and Dojima are main support characters, while other characters play smaller roles in the story such as (minor spoilers)
Shimano or Kazama
. However the game does throw a couple of nice curve balls in terms of a couple of unexpected cameo's (not saying who, but only fans of the series will get their significance in turning up). But these are mainly just cameo's in side stories, so while little Easter eggs like those will pass you by, unless you can play through 1-5 before touching 0 just to get a couple of little in jokes you'll be more than fine starting with 0.

Kiwami is mainly a straight up scene for scene remake of the original Yakuza with a few added scenes here and there (mainly with Nishiki, a couple with Majima etc.) HOWEVER there is one side mission plot that is a direct continuation from 0 (the Pocket Racer mini game) so its well worth playing 0 first, then Kiwami just for this little side story (its excellent).

Plus the way 0 ends, it basically feeds right into the beginning of Kiwami story wise, basically think of 0 as the "Rogue One" to Kiwami/Yakuza 1's "A New Hope".

You completely convinced me, thanks !

farisr

What's unacceptable is new hardware playing the exact same as the old hardware.
Well I'm sure it would've been really acceptable if a non-patched game like Yakuza 0, suffered from COD Ghosts syndrome where the game was actually running at 90fps due to having too much power and looked bad framerate wise due to the ps4 being programmed for 60hz output to tvs and ended up seeming like it ran worse.

leng jai

I wonder how much work it takes to simply change the resolution to something like 1440p? I know a checker board solution takes a while implement.

No surprise the reviews are great.

It looks fucking Awesome

I'm surprised that people *are* surprised about the good reviews.

The games always reviewed well, even in the west, they just didn't sell. Be it insufficient marketing, too weird, or whatever. To be honest, I don't think Yakuza 0 is in the mainstream's mind either, so who knows what'll happen.

By the time I beat 4 and 5 it will be $20. I'm tempted to skip them and buy 0 now. I've been pleasantly surprised about the series and I wish I had more time to play them.

Okay you turds, I've bought two copies now. I can count the times I've done that for a game on like one hand. Everyone else better hop on this train with me. Best selling Yakuza game in the West of all time or bust!

Top Bottom