• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

rLdzBLX.jpg

word?! =)

Dmax3901

Yeah I didn't go into the treatment of women in this game in my review, cause it felt like an entire article on it's own. Catfighting is pretty fucking ridiculous though. Japan is just an entirely different beast.

Just want to thank the guys and gals who kept mentioning the track Bubble in these Yakuza 0 threads. Finally gave it a listen.

I've had it on repeat for maybe 2 hours. Can't stop listening to it. Can't stop.

Yeah I didn't go into the treatment of women in this game in my review, cause it felt like an entire article on it's own. Catfighting is pretty fucking ridiculous though. Japan is just an entirely different beast.

i am actually very interested to see if the west would tackle this matter or not or if it's even possible. considering the subject matter and focus of the yakuza series. that it's always been made for the japanese male gamer, and it's that it's about the japanese mafia which is indeed male dominated.

while folks say that inclusion is always a good thing, how does that work into this framework?

nagoshi recognizes the series for what it is and sticks to his guns regardless.

see sliconera article:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/2...layers-female-theyll-still-keep-manly-series/

Now that it’s been 10 years, are there any expectations that have changed from the start? From the very first Yakuza game, there was always the challenge of making a CERO D (ages 17 and above) but did you expect for it to be as well-received as it is now?

“It’s a title with impact, so I believed that those who would follow would continue doing so. Other than that, I also believed that those who followed with it would quickly become hardcore fans. Tha’s a tendency that still hasn’t changed much. What was unexpected was that the number of female players has increased. Currently, about 20% are female players.”

“While that is something to be happy for, Yakuza is something that is made for male players, so we will be careful not to be too conscious of the female users and derail from what we want to make. Lately, there’s been a lot more players from Asia as well. That means we need to appeal more to Asia, but not focus too much on that, too.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/2...-still-keep-manly-series/#WJi7ZdYVWXyQ2TxP.99

Still waiting on my copies (I preordered 2 copies to support the series)
I don't get them until Tuesday. :(

AMAZON

I THINK THE TIME HAS COME TO SHIP MY COPY NOW

AMAZON

raw

please

Welp. Just got shipping details from Amazon. Even though they were happy to charge me for release date delivery they're not going to make it by that date. Typical!.

And this isn't the first time this has happened either. Gave them a piece of my mind. On the bright side I got my one-day delivery fee back and an extra month of free prime out of it. Still a bit annoyed though.

Also, I see you got banned. So I'm speaking to myself, I think. Insanity ensues.

renzolama

Man, these January releases are killing me. After overspending on games significantly through October/November/December, and knowing that I'll be overspending again in February/March, I tried to be responsible and only buy one game in January. I decided on RE7 after really enjoying the demo, but now the reviews of both Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 are starting to work their magic on my self-discipline. I mean, the remaster of Yakuza 1 comes out in NA in Summer, right? It's only rational that I buy and play through the prequel now??

Man, these January releases are killing me. After overspending on games significantly through October/November/December, and knowing that I'll be overspending again in February/March, I tried to be responsible and only buy one game in January. I decided on RE7 after really enjoying the demo, but now the reviews of both Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 are starting to work their magic on my self-discipline. I mean, the remaster of Yakuza 1 comes out in NA in Summer, right? It's only rational that I buy and play through the prequel now??

Yep :)

MYeager

i am actually very interested to see if the west would tackle this matter or not or if it's even possible. considering the subject matter and focus of the yakuza series. that it's always been made for the japanese male gamer, and it's that it's about the japanese mafia which is indeed male dominated.

while folks say that inclusion is always a good thing, how does that work into this framework?

nagoshi recognizes the series for what it is and sticks to his guns regardless.

see sliconera article:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/2...layers-female-theyll-still-keep-manly-series/

I'd say that as a male, a game made for males like me doesn't mean that requires all female characters within the game need to be either saved, ogled or treated like property and that doing so doesn't make the game 'more manly' as it does more for people who don't mind lazy character development or characterization. I imagine Yakuza also have sisters, mothers, wives, etc. Yakuza 5 did a great job with Haruka having her own agency and Mirei Park was great.

I wouldn't dare suggest making the series less manly, I just don't equate manliness with two dimensional female characters and don't see how Kiryu would be any less of the best badass ever if the game also had female characters not in distress, or just there for sex or as property (it does, but they're rare).

Yakuza 0 is a great game though, and this discussion probably would be best in a different thread aside from the review thread.

Is GameSpot dying? I'm pretty surprised at the amount of views.

WOKukBa.jpg

Pretty much. I was a long time user on Gamespot. It began dying after Greg Kasavin left. He was my favorite reviewer. He inspired me to review games (initially written reviews and now video reviews)...Good times :)

Anyway, the death was accelerated after the Jeff Gertsman controversy and most of the users jumped ship to Giant Bomb. Gamespot is now a former shell of itself waiting to collapse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, Gamespot is kind of irrelevant. They just lost all their "new blood" talent too, so who even knows who is there nowadays.

ty_hot

I remember that I used to read the GS reviews 10 (?) years ago... before that, my go to site was the G4MERS (Portugues site) that now is some shit called sapo.pt (???) and the review quality is disgusting... Now I just go and check IGN to see the intro of the review and jump straight to the conclusion - i like that they just go and say 'the graphics are X, the gameplay is Y but the story is W', so that I can have an idea of the game without actually knowing specific...

anyway, back to the topic: Yakuza seems like a great game, I will pick it up in the future for sure.

Finish in 10 mins, hopefully it will be at home waiting for me. Are there any day one patches or installs that I'll have to get through before I can play?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
OT is locked but this isn't so... Just finished this, it's shorter than I expected. There's little of note outside the (pretty cool) main story and I found myself only using one fighting style (despite upgrading equally), Beast for Kiryu and Slugger for Majima as they seemed the most effective. 8/10 :messenger_fire:

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
OT is locked but this isn't so... Just finished this, it's shorter than I expected. There's little of note outside the (pretty cool) main story and I found myself only using one fighting style (despite upgrading equally), Beast for Kiryu and Slugger for Majima as they seemed the most effective. 8/10 :messenger_fire:
Isn’t beast meant to be used with weapons you pick up off the ground? I find myself never using beast.

I was using slugger primarily for Majima and brawler for Kiryu

Only on chapter 7 tho. 25 hours in

Alexios

Not just weapons, its standard attack automatically picks up objects (bicycles, whatever) and continues the combo seamlessly. But even without that it seemed more effective for multiple enemies given the large basic swipes and to stagger singles as well to me, just like Majima's Slugger. Idk.

Last edited:

60+ hours is short?

Alexios

60+ hours is short?
I finished it in ~35, granted without spending much time in stuff like the management but I didn't feel compelled to for any reason, same for stuff like fishing or building up my friendship with the people that let you transfer money back and forth as I always seemed to have plenty with both characters, and I was coming off Like a Dragon which took me ~80 hours. That one had a lot more actual side quests (at least like the little girl calling you daddy in this one, not just strangers needing help, or maybe I'd do more of those too if there was an overarching goal like in the Hero missions of Like a Dragon and they were finite and unique rather than randomly generated) and things to do beyond the mini games and standard encounters and even management was more important as it gave you another party member to build up (but it's not like that took a good chunk of that time, maybe a couple hours, I didn't max it, I didn't exhaust fluff side tasks in that game either, far from it). I might go back to both games to do more side stuff but with the story all told and not much story to those tasks beyond getting the money to max out your fighting styles or in Like a Dragon new gear I'm not very motivated. Moving on to probably Kiwami 2 for now as I've played the original first game but not the sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom