• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

Menitta

That's my theory as well. Its never sold well in the past so Sega probably didn't do a big print run for the game. Kinda bodes well if this is the case, the game actually selling out/selling well outside Japan would be awesome news :)

I think Sega is actually going to try this time. This is probably the most attention Yakuza has gotten in the west ever. Also I think another sign of that is the fact that both Kiwami and 6 are coming out. Had it been one or the other, I wouldn't be making this post.

And I don't blame them for undershipping 0. It's understandable considering this franchise's history.

Edit: But it's also great because 0's sales will clearly go beyond what they were expecting.

Impulsor

Sure :)
oNWiTecfi.jpg
Thank you soooo much!

Sgea likely only provided a set number of retail copies to these retailets

This isn't how publishing works. The publisher provides precisely the number the retailer orders. If the retailer runs out, it means the retailer didn't place a large enough order with the publisher to meet actual demand at launch, which they base on the percieved purchase intent of the customers.

This is why preorders are important.

HeeHo

Thanks! Though that install bullshit pisses me off as it doesn't happen everytime. But the PR rep said the team is aware and will/is fixing it

What're you referring to about the installs? Can't watch the video at the moment.

Karak

What're you referring to about the installs? Can't watch the video at the moment.

The game installs then downloads in the background but sometimes that download stalls and when you try to do something you get a huge screen that says "downloading data set #" Mine stuck for 4 hours and crashed 2 times during it. Informed the PR rep who said dev is aware. Since its a bug it won't happen to everyone.And I have seen folks skate by and never noticed, or walk into an activity and get it. Even the version released in Japan had it for some folks.
Liked the game regardless.

I think Sega is actually going to try this time. This is probably the most attention Yakuza has gotten in the west ever. Also I think another sign of that is the fact that both Kiwami and 6 are coming out. Had it been one or the other, I wouldn't be making this post.

And I don't blame them for undershipping 0. It's understandable considering this franchise's history.

Yeah, knowing that Kiwami and 6 aren't being held hostage with the sales of 0 helped me personally, makes me all the more hyped knowing we are in for a great years worth of Yakuza content.

Also, maybe Atlus has helped in some way to help promote 0 further? I remember seeing a couple of posts by one of the Atlus PR people about how its their most requested game for review or some such.

HeeHo

The game installs then downloads in the background but sometimes that download stalls and when you try to do something you get a huge screen that says "downloading data set #" Mine stuck for 4 hours and crashed 2 times during it. Informed the PR rep who said dev is aware. Since its a bug it won't happen to everyone.And I have seen folks skate by and never noticed, or walk into an activity and get it. Even the version released in Japan had it for some folks.
Liked the game regardless.

Strange. I remember being really weirded out by the ps4 physical edition of Sleeping Dogs Ultimate Edition or whatever it's called. I had no idea what a stream install was and my game felt like it was running at a very low FPS.

Karak

Strange. I remember being really weirded out by the ps4 physical edition of Sleeping Dogs Ultimate Edition or whatever it's called. I had no idea what a stream install was and my game felt like it was running at a very low FPS.

I wouldn't worry to much Ya this works. Like you start it everything is fine. But if you get far enough and the game lacks the data you might get the alert

PaulLFC

I'm currently playing through Yakuza 1 (on chapter 6) and have just got Yakuza 2. I always liked the idea of the series so bought the games, but haven't sat down to play it until recently, so I'm going from the beginning.

Should I play 0 after 1, or would I get more out of the story by playing 2 next, then 0? I also have 3-5 if any of those should be played first.

Harmen

I'm currently playing through Yakuza 1 (on chapter 6) and have just got Yakuza 2. I always liked the idea of the series so bought the games, but haven't sat down to play it until recently, so I'm going from the beginning.

Should I play 0 after 1, or would I get more out of the story by playing 2 next, then 0? I also have 3-5 if any of those should be played first.

I have not played 0 yet but aside from the story, I also think it is worth to consider that the gameplay has advanced throughout the series. Playing Yakuza 2 first may be the best from a gameplay perspective. But others can comment on that better than me, probably. Same goes for the other entries, though from the looks of it (and Y0 being cross gen) the gameplay differences aren't huge.

If you play 1 then you'll get most of the little references that 0 has, so you should be good with either choice. It is worth playing 2 through first though, there is at least one side quest in 0 that has a great nod to one of the characters that appears in 2.

Depending on where you are now with Y1, you could pause that game and play Y0 first. It's a damn good prequel and with Kiwami coming out this summer it's a prefect set-up for that.

I can't wait till Tuesday! Happy to see the reviews rolling in so nicely. Also I would love to request that Yakuza Supporter for my avatar if someone would be so kind.
Oh, I'm so sorry, I somehow missed this.
oQ2f8Klll.jpg

Peroroncino

I've started playing yakuza 1 three weeks ago and I'm not done yet.
Now I have my copy of zero.. guess I will start the new one and then wait for kiwami

By the way, can someone yakuzafy my avatar?

MvEUBKp.png

Thanks! Though that install bullshit pisses me off as it doesn't happen everytime. But the PR rep said the team is aware and will/is fixing it

Nah, thank you, I really enjoy your reviews, well put together video reviews are surprisingly rare these days.

Buzzman

Banned
Never tried a Yakuza game before, but they look pretty cool. The question is, should I wait for the remake of 1 or start with this one? Because I'm guessing I might miss some stuff if I start on this one.

Peroroncino

Never tried a Yakuza game before, but they look pretty cool. The question is, should I wait for the remake of 1 or start with this one? Because I'm guessing I might miss some stuff if I start on this one.

Definitely start with this one [as in 0], Kiwami was made with a smooth transition from 0 in mind, some side-stuff even continues in 1.

StereoVsn

Sigh this only reminds me i still need to get around to opening my copy of 4 and finally play it...before i can tackle 5 and then finally this one!

Eh, you are better off to play Zero, then Kiwami in the Summer, and only then go to 3, 4 and 5 (3 is good, don't listen to the haters).

Shadoken

Cant wait to get my copy. Am liking the overall vibes , I think its going to sell really well.

Unlike the previous ones where it was either not marketed at all or was marketed as "GTA in Japan" and everybody hated it going with that expectation.

JayBabay

I picked up this game due to the overwhelming support it has on GAF. It's my first Yakuza game, I hope I enjoy it! It's not too much like GTA is it?

Zafir

Question to anyone else who is playing this. I'm a few hours in and I'm wondering whether side quests are marked on the minimap? I'm sure they were in 5 from what I remember. It's just I haven't seen any yet so I don't know if I'm missing them or they just don't pop up until you're a bit further in.

Edit: Just as I posted this I came across one, so I guess they aren't marked. Bah!

Finally finished Yakuza 5 in prep for this and it's reminded me just how good the Yakuza games are. The final boss fight in 5 was just epic, absolutely can not wait for 0.

Finally finished Yakuza 5 in prep for this and it's reminded me just how good the Yakuza games are. The final boss fight in 5 was just epic, absolutely can not wait for 0.

Yeah, the final boss on 5 felt really epic when I played through the game both times. It really rewards you if you unlock/level up as much as possible so that you then have tons of moves at disposal, really fun stuff. And 0 does not disappoint in that department.

Question to anyone else who is playing this. I'm a few hours in and I'm wondering whether side quests are marked on the minimap? I'm sure they were in 5 from what I remember. It's just I haven't seen any yet so I don't know if I'm missing them or they just don't pop up until you're a bit further in.

Edit: Just as I posted this I came across one, so I guess they aren't marked. Bah!

You need to unlock an item this go round which will then mark sidequests on the map for you. Choose the black present on the side mission
Miracle Johnson in Maharaja
and you should get the item you want. That's only for Kiryu though.

Peroroncino

Oh yeah, while to build-up to that fight was kind of cheap for me, mechanically the fight was amazing.

Careful you don't get the "Yakuza burnout syndrom" [lol], playing Yakuza games back-to-back isn't really recommended.

Zafir

You need to unlock an item this go round which will then mark sidequests on the map for you. Choose the black present on the side mission
Miracle Johnson in Maharaja
and you should get the item you want. That's only for Kiryu though.

Ah right. Don't suppose you know if any of them are missable in that case?

I think that's what bothers me more if it turns out I didn't find them and then they're lost for good.

Ah right. Don't suppose you know if any of them are missable in that case?

I think that's what bothers me more if it turns out I didn't find them and then they're lost for good.

Don't worry, you can't miss/lose any side quests. Worst case scenario is if you complete the game before finishing all of them you'll need to wrap up the ones you didn't do in Premium Adventure mode. The last Yakuza game I recall that made it possible to outright miss side stories was 3, so your safe in that regard :)

Zafir

Don't worry, you can't miss/lose any side quests. Worst case scenario is if you complete the game before finishing all of them you'll need to wrap up the ones you didn't do in Premium Adventure mode. The last Yakuza game I recall that made it possible to outright miss side stories was 3, so your safe in that regard :)

Yeah, I remember it being a thing in 3, but not 4. I ended up not finishing 5 so I wasn't sure about that one(I plan on going back eventually).

Thanks.

S1kkZ

never played a yakuza game before and i love this. but just how long is this game? i am in chapter 3 now and close to 9 hours played.

Top Bottom