• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

It's basically a JPRG. Tons to do so you won't need to worry about lack of gameplay. The cutscenes in the series are usually nice and meaty but they're good drama mixed in with humor.

I love the quirkiness and silliness of all the GIFs etc. I've seen all over GAF over time, it's what drew me here in the first place. Then I learned it actually has a brawler combat system and I was pretty much sold.

Psyched to play this game.

LiK

I love the quirkiness and silliness of all the GIFs etc. I've seen all over GAF over time, it's what drew me here in the first place. Then I learned it actually has a brawler combat system and I was pretty much sold.

Psyched to play this game.

Combat is super fun. The amount of moves you get is insane. If you like wrestling, you'll love it even more.

Dmax3901

This is quite well written. I just wanted to make sure you knew that GameTrailers was resurrected as Easy Allies. I saw the RIP GT at the end of your bio and got concerned you were living without The Nine when you didn't have to.

Thanks! I'm an avid follower of Easy Allies, that bio is just a little bit circa early 2016 :p

sarcoa

All the moves can be unlocked on any difficulty. Just keep playing the game and doing Kiryu's real estate missions and it should unlock (I forget the exact requirements, but you don't have access to the outer spheres immediately. I unlocked everything on hard difficulty just by playing the game and doing the side content.
Weird, I finished Yakuza 0, Kiryu's real estate game, and all but two substories.
The 4th fighting style
still has nodes locked.

Spaghetti

Nice to see the series finally get its dues. Took a long time to get here, but I'm glad people are jumping on with what might be regarded as the best one, give or take a few outlier opinions.

I'd love one of those "Yakuza supporter" banners but I don't think I deserve it, considering
I spent the money I was going to use on a PS4+Yakuza 0 on a Switch+Zelda

dreamfall

So much hypeeeeeee!

Great reviews, as if they mattered anyway for me. I hope more people read up on the series and support so we can continue getting future projects. The year of Yakuza is upon us!

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
What does this sarcasm accomplish ? The author states his preferences clearly, this game is the opposite of the genre he enjoys. Give me the best RTS ever and I'll give it a bad score because it's not my preferred genre.

This is sort of my problem with reviews. Sure they're subjective and based on opinion but I feel if you are a truly good journalist then you should be able to recognize quality even if it is a genre you normally do not enjoy. If you ask me, to not judge it like that only gives the game an inaccurate representation.

silva1991

With both Yakuza 0 and gravity rush 2 reviewing very well, I'm eager to see how will KH 0.2 be received.

anyone knows when the embargo lefts for Kingdom Hearts?

sn00zer

With both Yakuza 0 and gravity rush 2 reviewing very well, I'm eager to see how will KH 0.2 be received.

anyone knows when the embargo lefts for Kingdom Hearts?
I get a feeling kh is going to review real poorly because of the 60 dollar price tag. As it should because jeezus that is expensive

Combat is super fun. The amount of moves you get is insane. If you like wrestling, you'll love it even more.

I'm a kickboxer myself but I'm not scoffing at any discipline used in viciously kicking people's asses in a 3D Final Fight fashion.

DJMicLuv

Hnnnnnngggg. Not long to wait now. I've been hyped for this one in particular since I heard they were doing an 80s' prequel. I can't wait to get some prime Majima lunacy and seeing all the plaudits it's getting is making me more hyped for this title than I've been for any game in a long time. It's going to be great.

Cheska

Thrilled to see so many positive notes about this game. Yakuza has been one of my favorites since I first discovered Yakuza 3.

Unknown?

Thrilled to see so many positive notes about this game. Yakuza has been one of my favorites since I first discovered Yakuza 3.
I'm just glad they learned their lesson with the terrible box art of Y3! I skipped Y3 because when I found out about it Y4 got announced and it didn't have an embarrassingly bad box art. Lol

silva1991

I get a feeling kh is going to review real poorly because of the 60 dollar price tag. As it should because jeezus that is expensive

Wouldn't surprise me. Even MGS:GZ reviewed worse than expected for the same reasons iirc.

It's day 0 for m regardless.

Linkura

Let's please not do this. They're entitled to their opinion and if the reviewer didn't like it, it's fair enough.

Personally, I'm just happy overall Y0 is getting good reviews and it may get more players to try it.

I don't believe it's fair for an outlet to assign a reviewer to review a game they clearly have no interest in. It says in his bio he prefers shooters, which is about as far away from Yakuza as you can get. I do not blame the reviewer in this situation, I blame EGM for setting the game out to die.

nemisis0

Best seller on amazon UK this is looking good for the series as a whole for the western market. Love the yakuza games.

crimilde

Banned
Crunchyroll review http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/01/19-1/feature-yakuza-0-review

REVIEW ROUNDUP
+ Balances a badass, brutal crime story with plenty of humor and heart
+ Characters each have three unique, flashy, and satisfying fighting styles to learn, keeping combat fresh
+ Massive variety of side quests and collectibles mean you'll never run out of things to do
+ Business minigames not only feel right at home, but are addicting and never feel like a grind
+ Perfect starting point for new players, and a great flashback for hardcore Yakuza fans
+/- The story is great, but unskippable cutscenes (and some inconsistent presentation) breaks the mood
- Camera can sometimes be unreliable in tight quarters
- Constant random encounters can get annoying when you're just trying to reach a destination

Aki-at

Seriously? That would be crazy good!

Yes, it's currently sitting at 10th.

oWOvEzt.png

In Canada it's even higher, it's 8th!

And even America is doing it's part, at the 13th spot!

I know it's not saying much but this is going to be the best selling Yakuza game in the West... So maybe 150k to 200k sales :p

Yes, it's currently sitting at 10th.

In Canada it's even higher, it's 8th!

And even America is doing it's part, at the 13th spot!

I know it's not saying much but this is going to be the best selling Yakuza game in the West... So maybe 150k to 200k sales :p
Wow! I really hope the game keeps on selling like this then. John, I expect to hear a good report on sales from you guys at Atlus in near future :)

Impulsor

Never played a Yakuza game. This went udner my radar. I'm loving what I'm seeing so I just payed it in full.

Ready for tuesday, even if I have to put RE7 down.

Always loved this part:

Also:

I love that interview

This interview is beautiful

S:What's with all the fucking gaijin (foreigners) in the area anyway? It used to be just Japanese, Koreans and Chinese.
M: Don't say gaijin. Say Gaikokujin. It's more polite. Jake's a gaijin.
S: Yeah, I forget sometimes. What's with all the fucking gaikokujin in Kabukicho anyway?

farisr

I'm rooting for this game and hope it sells a ton. Unfortunately can't buy it right now due to being short on cash as I've been out of a job since last March due to health issues (and no disability or employment insurance).

But hey, at least I did my part to get this (and the future releases) here, I preordered Yakuza 5 (despite preferring to only get physical copies of games) as soon as it went up on PSN. Never got around to starting it due to it being on PS3.

I fully intend for this to be the first Yakuza game I play, as it seems like the perfect point to jump in.

Top Bottom