• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

Hey all

I wrapped up Yakuza 1 a few months ago on PS2 and have just started the sequel.

I'm thinking of picking up Yakuza 0, but I was wondering I should stick to release order.

Can someone tell me if its safe to jump into 0 without knowing where it leads too?

Thanks x
I'd actually say you're in a great spot since having spent more time with the Y1 characters helps considerably for Y0.

The only downside is that if you wish to revisit the previous games, then it might be a bit of a tough readjustment at first, going back to the less refined style of gameplay but the games are so good, that's a hill worth climbing.

Y0 is a prequel and actually takes place quite a while before the events of Yakuza 1.

PaulLFC

That is odd the Yakuza 2 is the most expensive but funny enough I think that game made me complete fan of the game and is easily my favorite one (still have to play 5).
A kind person on Eurogamer offered to sell me Yakuza 2 today, so I'll shortly have the complete series. Very happy!

A few hours into Yakuza 1 at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot despite how dated it is now compared to the later games.

Yakuza 0 will be bought as soon as it's available on EU PSN (I was considering ordering a disc copy but would prefer digital for convenience and since I have Yakuza 4 onwards digitally).

thatJohann

Picking this up today in NYC.

Also Resident Evil 7.

Might just pick one, not sure whether to get Yakuza 0 or RE7 today - thoughts?

Is it possible to play the other Yakuza games on PS4?

I'd like to jump into this, but then it would suck if I can't play the rest of the games lol

LiK

I'd like to jump into this, but then it would suck if I can't play the rest of the games lol

Kiwami (Y1 remake) coming in Summer and Y6 coming later. None of the other games have been ported.

PaulLFC

No, only 0, Kiwami and 6 so far. I've tweeted Sega and Gio Corsi to see if 3, 4, 5 and Dead Souls can be added to PS Now as I think that's the only way we'd be able to play them on PS4 (for a long time at least).

SkylineRKR

I have chosen Yakuza 0 over RE7. I could pick it up today but I decided to play Gravity Rush 2 for a bit first. I'll probably get it later this weekend.

Yakuza 0 looks like more fun than RE7, and its meaty. RE is generally fine, Yakuza needs to do better. I like the franchise despite some weaker entries here and there.

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but Giant Bomb just did a Quick Look that encompasses one of the first really big encounters in the game, so I guess spoilers:
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-yakuza-0/2300-11828/

I guess something that's noteworthy about this Quick Look is how much Brad and Jeff have been enjoying it. GB has historically not been very positive on this series often citing pacing and the combat as their major issues with the series.

So they restocked it on amazon uk and its gone AGAIN

Probably just some fluctuations due to people changing their minds and cancelling pre-orders. I put it in the basket when it was available again and was looking for some cheap blu-rays to qualify for the 10 off 50 discount. Before i knew it it was out of stock again. I kept browsing blu-rays, found some and put them in the basket, just in case. After that i kept refreshing the page for an hour until it reappeared. I immediately took it and the blu-rays through checkout and as soon as my order went through the game was out of stock again.

Tizoc

Picking this up today in NYC.

Also Resident Evil 7.

Might just pick one, not sure whether to get Yakuza 0 or RE7 today - thoughts?
Do you really want to make Nugget cross?
26xBBi5IgnYzy3LO0.gif

Stiler

egm says this is not the best one to start with...lol

Why on earth would it not be?

1. It's a prequel
2. It doesn't require any knowledge of the previous titles

Seems like the most logical place for new players to come in...

thatJohann

If I have never played a Yakuza game, yet I LOVED Shenmue on Dreamcast and I love Japanese culture - would I be able to get into Yakuza 0?

Ludens

Banned
Hey all

I wrapped up Yakuza 1 a few months ago on PS2 and have just started the sequel.

I'm thinking of picking up Yakuza 0, but I was wondering I should stick to release order.

Can someone tell me if its safe to jump into 0 without knowing where it leads too?

Thanks x
It's a prequel, you can go for it with no problem.

If I have never played a Yakuza game, yet I LOVED Shenmue on Dreamcast and I love Japanese culture - would I be able to get into Yakuza 0?

You love Japanese culture? Insta-yes. The great thing about Yakuza: Zero and most of the Yakuza games is that they deal with the grime, crime and seediness that not a lot of Japanese games deal with.

You love Shenmue? Depends from person to person but a lot of Shenmue fans seem to enjoy the series so it's definitely worth a shot.

All in all, YES.

Aki-at

Yes but not because Yakuza is Shenmue. Yakuza is more like Streets of Rage with various RPG systems in place. If you like Japanese oddball humour you'll love Yakuza :p

thatJohann

Yes but not because Yakuza is Shenmue. Yakuza is more like Streets of Rage with various RPG systems in place. If you like Japanese oddball humour you'll love Yakuza :p

Thanks, do I have to worry about leveling up characters and managing items like in old school RPGs? cause I've never liked that micro managing part. I just want to explore the world without worrying about item management.

Menitta

Thanks, do I have to worry about leveling up characters and managing items like in old school RPGs? cause I've never liked that micro managing part. I just want to explore the world without worrying about item management.

Not at all. The only thing you'll want to have is a bunch of health and stamina items, and with the way money works in 0, you'll be fine.

Edit: Well not 100%. Sometimes your inventory will fill up and you'll just have to empty it out into your storage. It's nothing too intense though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yes, you absolutely would. This game is right up your alley.

It's not strictly an RPG but it has very light leveling up mechanics. Think of it's like a 3D brawler.

If I liked the dub of the first Yakuza game will I like this one

What if I hate chickens

tumblr_o202wa6G7a1rn8um6o1_400.gif

Hmmmm, why even consider RE 7, then. RE games usually feature heavy amounts of item management. Yakuza uses a lot of healing items but you can sell most of your other items or dump them in storage, if you don't want to craft.

Audioboxer

Damn, dem reviews and I haven't even played 5 yet (I have it but backlooooog).

Considering the PS3 is unhooked I guess I'll play 0 first and then get back to 5 at some point.

Also, the fuck JS?

Yakuza 0 is my first foray into the Yakuza series, believe it or not, and I can safely say it's been a trip.

For some reason I thought he was a big Yakuza fan previously lol. Welcome aboard Jim!

Good point. Btw does anyone know if yakuza 0 has ps4 pro support?

Supposedly no, but it is 1080/60 anyway IIRC.

thatJohann

Hmmmm, why even consider RE 7, then. RE games usually feature heavy amounts of item management. Yakuza uses a lot of healing items but you can sell most of your other items or dump them in storage, if you don't want to craft.

Good point. Btw does anyone know if yakuza 0 has ps4 pro support?

Went a bit crazy and bought not only 0, but also 3 and 4. Hopefully they won't disappoint.

Just make sure you don't play them in a row. Play something in between games or you will burnout. Yakuza 4 is my personal favorite (but still have not played 0, Kiwami or 6).

Great! Good enough for me!
If you like Shenmue, you will most likely love Yakuza. I was going to pick up RE7, as well but the length and replay value has me worried. I will grab it when it's on sale, if the reviews are good. Yakuza has so many fun side activities, you will definitely get your moneys worth. Yakuza needs all the sales it can get, it's such a great series. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I hope all of you who are jumping in with 0, really like it and become fans.

LiK

Kinda surreal. Trump is President now and people are interested in Yakuza series. Begging people to play this series was like pulling teeth back in the day, lawl

Top Bottom