• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 Review Thread

Awesome, I really hope this does well, I've yet to finish 5 but only because I'm intent of getting rid of my 360 first (got LO, Vesparia, and Halo 4 left, might finish el sheddai not sure).

I'll definetely pick this up when I rebuy a PS4 at somepoint maybe the next revision.

EGM's review is a fucking embarrassment. It's no wonder they're no longer relevant.

Oh please, I love the franchise (hell it's the only franchise besides Phoenix Wright where I've played more than 3 games of) but nothing in that review was unfair judging by the other games.

Lucumo

Happy that the series is getting more recognition. Been following it for around ten years now but decided back then, that I would only play it with subtitles and uncut or in its original form, as soon as I have learned Japanese (still haven't started with that...).

Riposte

EGM 5/10...
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/wtf/wtf%20(2).gif[img]

The real review right here :)

[b]Originally Posted by jmaine_ph
Jimquisition - 9.5/10

[url]http://www.thejimquisition.com/yakuza-0-review/[/url][/b][/QUOTE]

Sterling giving this a positive review is more concerning than some guy's 5/10 tbh.

re complaints about formulaic combat--watching some preview vids/steams i noticed a lot of peeps not even using the charge attacks and simply utilizing the basic combo string. with how easy normal difficulty is i imagine some cruised through zero doing just that without really delving into the breadth of combat options.

a shame really as y1 and 2 were pretty difficult games.

Trace

Banned
Reading Jim's review I'm insulted he hasn't played Yakuza sooner while at the same time happy he got into it.

Sounds like he had a blast :)

Nasbin

Was going to wait for this to get discounted but now I think I'll buy at launch to show my support for Western localization of semi-obscure Japanese games. RE7 can wait.

I've seen many people wondering about this so I'm just gonna say it.

DON'T PLAY ANY OTHER YAKUZA GAMES BEFORE THIS

Seriously stop your Yakuza 5 playthroughs and jump into Yakuza 0.

Hasney

Easy Allies -
4/5

https://youtu.be/LpV_K5Az4Iw

http://easyallies.com/#!/review/yakuza-0

Since its debut in 2006, Yakuza has been relegated to a niche audience in the West, which is more heartbreaking than ever after finishing Yakuza 0. It's a game that offers an abundance of varied activities and memorable stories. Even with a lack of difficulty and a few minor pacing hiccups, Yakuza 0 demonstrably proves that this long-running series has so much bite left in it.

bleaker

Watched IGNs review and how they compared combat unfavorably to the Arkham games. I always knew Kiryu was actually Batman, and now we basically have confirmation.

D-Man

Hot damn these scores are great! Glad to see Yakuza finally getting the attention it deserves.

Tuesday needs to get here already.

Endo Punk

Cant get it next week but definitely getting the week after. Y4 won me over and now I can't wait to get back in again, and in my fav era too, the 80's!

re complaints about formulaic combat--watching some preview vids/steams i noticed a lot of peeps not even using the charge attacks and simply utilizing the basic combo string. with how easy normal difficulty is i imagine some cruised through zero doing just that without really delving into the breadth of combat options.

a shame really as y1 and 2 were pretty difficult games.

Yeah that's one thing about the series. The harder difficulties are pretty much essential for anyone seeking a challenge. Yakuza is very much a 3D beatemup in how the focus is on being able to exploit openings and land combos, without getting surrounded and torn up. Unfortunately, this isn't all that noticeable on the easier settings, because Kazuma, Goro, etc can mash through everyone with no trouble.

Personally, I like the way the series handles difficulty. There are the multiple settings, plus players can challenge themselves in other ways by using less (or no) healing items, skipping out on equipment, etc.

The reviewers who I tend to agree with praised the game so I'm all set for the Yakuza adventure. Shame some reviewers gave such low scores.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Holy shit those reviews.

Can't wait to jump in with my first yakuza game, I feel I'm going to be a huge fan of this series

Jeels

Reading the EGM review now/first since it seems to be the outlier. I have this preordered anyway because I want to play something different but I'm happy its getting good reviews regardless.

The review I care about most is probably Easy Allies. :)

I might jump in with this game, great reviews apparently. The Yakuza series has always been very intriguing to me, but I never bit the bullet.

Peroroncino

Man the wait is killing me. This is how I feel right now:

16176417_10154217040820095_438878500_n.gif

I just hope the game isn't as bloated as Yakuza 5. There were times when I loved that game, but often it felt far too drawn out for it's own good. The pacing was atrocious.

FelipeMGM

I just hope the game isn't as bloated as Yakuza 5. There were times when I loved that game, but often it felt far too drawn out for it's own good. The pacing was atrocious.

I must admit I didnt finish Yakuza 5 (for the same reason) and while I still have some small issues with the pace in 0, I think its better than 5 in that matter because it has less storylines

Top Bottom