• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 demo - 11/27/2012 (JAP PSN)

IrishNinja

i am sorry if my fake spoilers have caused people to be actually spoiled

i will in fact never learn my lesson though

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
i am sorry if my fake spoilers have caused people to be actually spoiled

i will in fact never learn my lesson though
Just as a warning, Irish's spoiler contains legitimate spoilers for Yakuza 4's post-credits scene.

Kidding.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
well to be fair
akiyama
doesn't does he
Well, it's really only implied, since Saejima
███████████████████
. If you watch the extended TGS trailer though, you can see glimpses of Akiyama's
█████████

photo-1.jpg

Is it just me or does this guy look like a beefed up, less orange Nagoshi?

Schlomo

I'm pretty amazed of Kiryu's ability to walk up and down stairs and it actually looks as such.

Yes, and instead of having only one walking and one running animation, he has a fluent transition now. (He only starts waving his arms too early...)

Tizoc

Yakuza 3 also has a cute puppy and Rikiya's pretty awesome, as well.
So when they both die, the game dies along with them.

Huh?
When did the puppy die? The puppy never died >_>
...and we all know Majima isn't dead, you guys, come on.

Dear SEGA, please make a Yakuza game staring Majima Goro taking place during the 90s/before Kiryu leaves prison.
With epic Karaoke please.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Huh?
When did the puppy die? The puppy never died >_>
I was actually going to reply saying that I could be misremembering, but isn't there a scene where
the orphanage is about to be bulldozed and the puppy gets in the way and is kicked aside?
Did I imagine that and just assume the worst?

I was actually going to reply saying that I could be misremembering, but isn't there a scene where
the orphanage is about to be bulldozed and the puppy gets in the way and is kicked aside?
Did I imagine that and just assume the worst?

IIRC there's a side-mission afterwards where you
teach the puppy commands

Tizoc

Yeah pretty sure
the puppy's still alive and you can see him in the ending cutscene
...but man
RIYIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! ;.;

Akainu

I'm pretty amazed of Kiryu's ability to walk up and down stairs and it actually looks as such.
It's pretty great. I like when games do this. The only other I can think of that I've played is Metal Gear. Leave it to platinum games to ruin it. :p

WhyMe6

Overall, I was really disappointed overall by the demo. As much as I enjoyed the improved (brutal) fighting, the high-res food photographs, and the improved Club Sega experience (interactive purikura!) I don't like how Kazuma controls in the field and I felt that the graphics are an enormous step down from Y3 & Y4.

I know that makes me sound like a graphics whore, and I'm typically not, but part of the appeal in this series for me is the atmosphere of the game, and when the textures are terrible (the river is meant to be the centrepiece of the city, and it looks atrocious!) and the game seems to lack any semblance of anti-aliasing, it just completely breaks immersion. Of particular annoyance were the terrible low-res textures on signage and outside the window when entering a store. Obviously, I'm no Digital Foundry, but that was certainly the first thing I noticed upon starting the game. I know it's only a demo, but demos these days really don't seem to show much difference from the final game anymore. Hopefully I'm wrong there, but it honestly feels like they've rushed the game out :/

Endo Punk

Argh! Yakuza demos always piss me off! So many restrictions! But I did love what I played, Kiryu controls a lot better and fighting does a better job of crowd control it seems, the red heat action in particular is amazing here. The hostess games seem to be a lot more involved though I didn't understand a word it seems you can ask them questions ands such. Spent quite a bit of time at the Sega arcade and I really enjoyed VF2 plus that drums game was a blast. The only downside is the river which looks really quite bad and the fact it's unknown whether it will get a Western release or not.

I do hope for a summer 2013 release, that would be the perfect time. I need to gt my next Yakuza fix, already done everything and Platinum'd Y4.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I do hope for a summer 2013 release, that would be the perfect time. I need to gt my next Yakuza fix, already done everything and Platinum'd Y4.
A summer 2013 release in English? Considering it hasn't even been announced, unless Sega is going to rush the game out in a never-before-seen display of love for Yakuza fans, there's no way that's going to happen.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
by the way, who's doing the OT for the japanese release? i like to jump on the US ones, but ill help if needed.
I believe that to do the OT for a Japanese release, you need to actually be purchasing said release (an issue that was raised in the import Birth By Sleep thread), and I don't know if anybody's importing the game. I'd love to be able to do a Yakuza OT though, so maybe I'll import it just so I can make a thread. It'll be a very small party.

Tizoc

A summer 2013 release in English? Considering it hasn't even been announced, unless Sega is going to rush the game out in a never-before-seen display of love for Yakuza fans, there's no way that's going to happen.

Wasn't DS released like 6 months after the Japanese release?
Well I personally wouldn't mind waiting til X-Mas 2013, I JUST WANT TO LUCHA LIBRE DROP KICK PUNKS ALL DAY LONG!!!11111 (In English)

by the way, who's doing the OT for the japanese release? i like to jump on the US ones, but ill help if needed.

I thought you were going to make the OT for Yakuza 5 o_O

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Wasn't DS released like 6 months after the Japanese release?
Well I personally wouldn't mind waiting til X-Mas 2013, I JUST WANT TO LUCHA LIBRE DROP KICK PUNKS ALL DAY LONG!!!11111 (In English)
Yep, Dead Souls was announced for a western release four months after it was released in Japan, so Sega was rather good. I don't have access to a PS3 except for at Christmas, so I'm actually hoping it's Christmas 2013 because if it comes any earlier, I'll go insane.

But it'd be a cool party, and that's all that matters!
Yep. (With a few notable exceptions) Yakuza fans are the coolest people.

jett

D-Member
Does it at least look better than yak 4?

I think it looks a bit better than Y3 and Y4, but it mostly looks the same as all the PS3 Yakuza games. I think it looks a bit cleaner, probably runs at a higher resolution.

Then again it seems my memory crap and I'm misremembering everything I know about the franchise. :p Anyway, I replayed the demo again and had a good time to be honest.

IrishNinja

I thought you were going to make the OT for Yakuza 5 o_O

well, lunch raised a good point there - i don't think i'm importing; tempting as hell but i really do wanna hold out for the localization here. my current line in the sand is E3 2013 for an announcement. so, it'd be a very LTTP OT!

heh heh heh....no naming names here but we all know

for real though lunch, it'd be awesome to see you do the OT, and again id help in any way i could man

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the demo... *sigh* This series is still stuck in the PS2 era.

I still like it for the characters and cutscenes, but it's really hard to play something that feels this rough in 2012.

I had hoped that after Nagoshi's team managed to make a game that actually felt "modern" with Binary Domain that they would be able to update Ryu Ga Gotoku to something that didn't feel so... "2005."

Oh well. Hopefully they can up their game with the next console generation.

BIGWORM

I still like it for the characters and cutscenes, but it's really hard to play something that feels this rough in 2012.

I had hoped that after Nagoshi's team managed to make a game that actually felt "modern" with Binary Domain that they would be able to update Ryu Ga Gotoku to something that didn't feel so... "2005."

How does it feel "2005?"

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
for real though lunch, it'd be awesome to see you do the OT, and again id help in any way i could man
I'd love to do a giant, splurged up OT for Yakuza 5, although I don't really know if I have the programs to do any fancy Photoshopping. We'll definitely see when the English release rolls around.

I'm just going to keep talking about the English release like it's an inevitability.

I take offense to that.
That was a joke, but all the same, you weren't one of the people I was joking about.

I'm playing through the demo again and I really appreciate some of these changes, mostly with the combat and how one initiates it.

i know what users you're talking about here pretty funny stuff

Persona86

Banned

What exactly are you expecting for them to improve? The demo seems perfectly fine for the type of game it is. (except the water hahaha)
Don't tell me your expecting something like GTA.

androvsky

The only thing I can come up with is there's still a lot of unvoiced, stilted cutscenes. And the fact that there is text, especially in the main storyline, is probably off-putting to a fair number of gamers to be honest.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The only thing I can come up with is there's still a lot of unvoiced, stilted cutscenes. And the fact that there is text, especially in the main storyline, is probably off-putting to a fair number of gamers to be honest.
I haven't played the demo, but I'd prefer to have certain scenes unvoiced, as I can read through the text much faster. The scene in Yakuza 3 in which the politician explains Black Monday was absolutely awful because it was a voiced cutscene and there was absolutely no reason for it to be, so instead of being able to read all the exposition in four minutes, I had to sit through what felt like fifteen minutes of cutscenes.

Persona86

Banned
I haven't played the demo, but I'd prefer to have certain scenes unvoiced, as I can read through the text much faster. The scene in Yakuza 3 in which the politician explains Black Monday was absolutely awful because it was a voiced cutscene and there was absolutely no reason for it to be, so instead of being able to read all the exposition in four minutes, I had to sit through what felt like fifteen minutes of cutscenes.

Just what I was going to say, if I had to listen to every text in the game it would take forever. Also sometimes reading just text relaxes me, like reading a good book.

And to voice every part of the game would probably take a lot more money to make the game, I would rather them spend that money focusing on all the side content which is what they are doing, thankfully.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just what I was going to say, if I had to listen to every text in the game it would take forever. Also sometimes reading just text relaxes me, like reading a good book.

And to voice every part of the game would probably take a lot more money to make the game, I would rather them spend that money focusing on all the side content which is what they are doing, thankfully.
I don't know if the budget breakdown is that clean, but as somebody who can't understand Japanese, having more voice acting is unimportant. I skip through the voice acting for most of the phone calls and unimportant scenes, so while having all the hostesses voice acted and whatnot are certainly improvements, they don't mean much to me (and presumably most people who don't understand Japanese).

Persona86

Banned
I don't know if the budget breakdown is that clean, but as somebody who can't understand Japanese, having more voice acting is unimportant. I skip through the voice acting for most of the phone calls and unimportant scenes, so while having all the hostesses voice acted and whatnot are certainly improvements, they don't mean much to me (and presumably most people who don't understand Japanese).
Yeah I probably simplified the budget breakdown quite a bit there. :)

I like hearing the Japanese, because it helps me become more familiar with the language and learn a little, but I almost always end up skipping through it after a while because I read much faster. (I never skip actual actual cutscenes thou)

I do welcome the voice acting in the hostess bits, I think that's a nice touch. When it comes to interacting with someone, the voice acting becomes more important.

Blah blah blah.

I do find it kind of jarring when a scene goes from nice looking cutscene with voice acting to a bunch of text boxes out of the blue. It can kind of take you out of the moment.

I don't mind when they have some scenes that aren't voiced, but I wish they wouldn't jump back in forth in the middle of a scene (sometimes multiple times).

Gacha-pin

I'm fine with the Yakuza's unvoiced text only conversations but Fallout 3 and Mass Effect got full voice dubs and you can't skip the conversations.
But it would be good if random peds on the streets have full voiced dubs like the new random thugs instead of text in the bubbles. It will help improving the atmosphere of the city.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm fine with the Yakuza's unvoiced text only conversations but Fallout 3 and Mass Effect got full voice dubs and you can't skip the conversations.
But it would be good if random peds on the streets have full voiced dubs like the new random thugs instead of text in the bubbles. It will help improving the atmosphere of the city.
I've thought the same thing, but I like being able to read what the pedestrians are saying. If all the pedestrians were voiced, the dialogue boxes would likely be removed, and I doubt that Sega would subtitle random banter, so we'd lose all that text entirely.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's such a huge disparity in the production values between the actual gameplay and the in-engine cutscenes. It feels like a PS2 game outside of the cutscenes, which are genuinely impressive. You can tell where their budget goes.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
3 more days till I can get my copy! Already got the poster here along with a RGG 1 & 2 HD collection poster. Both are still rolled up so am not sure on which design is the one for 5.

*Got them for a friend which is why I havent unrolled both.

Persona86

Banned
There's such a huge disparity in the production values between the actual gameplay and the in-engine cutscenes. It feels like a PS2 game outside of the cutscenes, which are genuinely impressive. You can tell where their budget goes.

I think it's been a long time since you've played a game on PS2.

I see where your coming from, but I honestly don't think there is such a difference for it to matter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's been a long time since you've played a game on PS2.

I see where your coming from, but I honestly don't think there is such a difference for it to matter.

I actually just played RGG2 on PS2 a few months ago. The overall feel and the "what you do" part of the game is strikingly similar to the PS3 games. In regards to the visuals, I'm not going to say the PS2 ones look better, because that would be insane, but they are certainly more even. The low-res textures in the PS3 series stand out so much more when other assets are given the proper treatment.

Persona86

Banned
I actually just played RGG2 on PS2 a few months ago. The overall feel and the "what you do" part of the game is strikingly similar to the PS3 games. In regards to the visuals, I'm not going to say the PS2 ones look better, because that would be insane, but they are certainly more even. The low-res textures in the PS3 series stand out so much more when other assets are given the proper treatment.

OK what you've mentioned has never really bothered me, but I respect your opinion.

IMO it's a good thing that some things stay the same while adding new ideas etc that way it feels familiar while staying fresh.

I hope you give the full game a chance when it comes out eventually, there's a lot more to the game than the demo shows, I personally can't wait. :)

Top Bottom