• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 screens

TheCrow

Do we know how far along the development of the game is? If it's the usual March release in Japan, meaning March 2013, that means IF it gets localized we'll be looking at a March 2014 release in the West... :(
It's releasing this December in Japan so hopefully we get it by the following Summer.

Do we know how far along the development of the game is? If it's the usual March release in Japan, meaning March 2013, that means IF it gets localized we'll be looking at a March 2014 release in the West... :(

It's 70% complete and has been in development for twice as long as any previous Yakuza game.

Kazzy

I would love for that to happen just to see Kiryu's reaction. And then Haruka pours you drinks and you end up going to a love hotel.

HARUKA CARD GET!

Considering how much the previous games have gone to great pains to establish the surrogate-daughter relationship she has with Kiryu, that would be extremely creepy.

And I am in no way surprised that Sky Finance looks as though it is finished, Akiyama was cool and all, but dude had a talent for procrastination.

I really want to know what happened to Sunshine Orphanage though, that part of the game is paced so badly in Y3, but damn it if I didn't care for those kids by the end of it.

Now Saejima doesn't have to feel guilty...

He has no need to feel guilty regardless, they derailed his character development in Y4 quite spectacularly.

gogogow

It's releasing this December in Japan so hopefully we get it by the following Summer.

It's 70% complete and has been in development for twice as long as any previous Yakuza game.

Ah okay, that sounds much better. But if it's following the usual "one year rule", that means we'll be playing it in Fall 2013. Though the game is gonna be send out to die and might be pushed to Feb/March 2014 after all.....or like TheCrow said, hopefully Summer 2013.

PerZona

Oh man wonder how long will they take to localize Yakuza 5 this time. I really really love the Yakuza series, more of the story > gameplay though.

Can't wait! And Haruka! <3

LiK

Considering how much the previous games have gone to great pains to establish the surrogate-daughter relationship she has with Kiryu, that would be extremely creepy.

And I am in no way surprised that Sky Finance looks as though it is finished, Akiyama was cool and all, but dude had a talent for procrastination.

I really want to know what happened to Sunshine Orphanage though, that part of the game is paced so badly in Y3, but damn it if I didn't care for those kids by the end of it.

exactly, creepy meter to the MAX.

I agree that Y3 is one of the few games that made me care about kids in a video game.

TheCrow

Ah okay, that sounds much better. But if it's following the usual "one year rule", that means we'll be playing it in Fall 2013. Though the game is gonna be send out to die and might be pushed to Feb/March 2014 after all.....or like you said, hopefully Summer 2013.
Yeah, it might've been too much to hope for a summer release. Fall/Winter of 2013 would be the safe bet. And I wouldn't worry too much about other releases since it's such a niche title.

Kazzy

exactly, creepy meter to the MAX.

I agree that Y3 is one of the few games that made me care about kids in a video game.

Who knew that making horrible fashion choices for your foster children could be so emotional!

We should be getting info on the combat system pretty soon

Yokoyama: We had no hesitation including Haruka as a playable character, but there were many things to think about regarding using her in the game.

The battle system will be revealed to the pubic in the days to come. We have incorporated a mechanism to be able to play in the same way as other protagonists on the street.

Yuck. They've gone for more realism in the character models, so that's the hint there the gameplay/boss battles are once again dumbed down and the story is full of shit, taking itself seriously.

yeah, sorry - once again, you lose, i win :) . when exactly were yakuza stories not somewhat full of shit, & when didn't they take themselves seriously?...

pretty sure these games just ain't for you...

Kazzy

We should be getting info on the combat system pretty soon

DANCE COMBAT! If I had to guess I would bet that it will probably be based on counters and parrying, rather than any outright fighting.

I'd be curious to see how she plays either way, but like I've said before, it doesn't seem to fit with her character if she is suddenly running around busting heads.

Yuterald

Yuck. They've gone for more realism in the character models, so that's the hint there the gameplay/boss battles are once again dumbed down and the story is full of shit, taking itself seriously.

I think you are just trolling at this point. What the fuck Yakuza 1 & 2 games were you playing!? I'm pretty sure Yakuza 2 has the most "serious" storyline out of all of them! And what boss battles? We haven't even seen gameplay footage yet! O_O

Kazzy

4 is incredible. My favourite in the series, followed by 2.

Reverse that order and you're left with indisputable fact!

Y2 still has the best balance for me, both in terms of gameplay features and what it does with the narrative.

I enjoyed Yakuza 3 (the only yakuza game I played) a lot. Will I enjoy 4 as well, if not more?

Kiryu took a major backseat in Yakuza 4 story, sure you get to play him, but the only reasons he got involved is because he got nothing better to do really... once you make your peace with that, Yakuza 4 is pretty amazing.

Razlo

Excited for this of course. Glad this series gets to live on, even with Sega's money issues. Really can't wait for playable Haruka. I'm so curious what her story will be like.

Kazzy

Gah. Don't remind me of that. I laughed when I made the choices but when I saw the kid in those clothes I felt terrible.

I don't think there is a correct choice during that side-quest, but I'm clearly a horrible person as I decked him out in the stars and stripes attire!

Endo Punk

How can seajima have a son when he spent so much time in prison .????
Given that he strived to protect her sister and was busy managing his part in the clans before i think that's would have been hard to do .

Not that it's impossible but it will be a surprise given what we know of him so far ..

There are some subtle hints like Shinada being a baseball player and Saejima and Majima used to play baseball when they were friends way back when. The guy could have been screwing around when he was hired hand for the Yakuza in the 70s/80s.

There are some subtle hints like Shinada being a baseball player and Saejima and Majima used to play baseball when they were friends way back when. The guy could have been screwing around when he was hired hand for the Yakuza in the 70s/80s.

that make sense .... Incredible !! i'll follow your theory then and hope it comes true

daycru

I loved Yakuza 3, only one I've played. Didn't get too far into 4 because I hate playing as multiple characters, hard for me to keep shit straight particularly in games with so much story.

Jubern

Some stuff I digged on the official website and Famitsu:

- I saw a few guys here worrying about Sky Finance, but the story on famitsu.com actually says Akiyama is visiting Osaka to expand business, so it should be okay. He gets drawn into the story upon learning of the untimely death of someone close to him. Also, he and Haruka (who has been scouted by a talent agency in Osaka) will be reunited under "surprising circumstances".

- The official website also makes it clear that Kiryu has his reasons for being a taxi driver in Fukuoka. He's been helping a certain woman. Right now, he hides his identity.

- Shinada got banned from playing baseball 15 years ago, when he was an ace batter, already in Nagoya. His life has been sucking hard since then and he currently is writing for the sex industry. His meeting with a certain masked man will give him the drive to finally investigate the truth of the gambling scandal he got involved.

- Saejima went back in jail for assault (not sure how you say it in English) for 3 years, in order to help the Tojo Clan and train, "purify", himself. On the last night he made some promise with his best friend (Majima? No precision), something about the Tojo Clan.
And so, in jail, he does its best not to make any fuss no matter how much some inmates harass him. Two years goes by, and in December 2012 he learns of how someone "took his family" (or something from it?), so he escapes and go to Sapporo to get the fucker.

All those stories likely converges in the bigger one, which as it has already been mentioned is about an all-out Tojo/Omi war.
For those wondering, main line Yakuza games always take place at the time of their Japanese release. Which means December 2012 for Yakuza 5.

- I saw a few guys here worrying about Sky Finance, but the story on famitsu.com actually says Akiyama is visiting Osaka to expand business, so it should be okay. He gets drawn into the story upon learning of the untimely death of someone close to him. Also, he and Haruka (who has been scouted by a talent agency in Osaka) will be reunited under "surprising circumstances".
Looking forward to it ....
- The official website also makes it clear that Kiryu has his circumstances for being a taxi driver in Fukuoka. He's been helping a certain woman. Right now, he hides his identity.
Again perfect ... i guess The poor folks won't know that you don't mess with the dragon ...
- Shinada got banned from playing baseball 15 years ago, when he was an ace batter, already in Nagoya. His life has been sucking hard since then and he currently is writing for the sex industry. His meeting with a certain masked man will give him the drive to finally investigate the truth of the gambling scandal he got involved.
Rofl ..as long as you don't mix baseball and sex i'll be fine..
- Saejima went back in jail for assault (not sure how you say it in English) for 3 years, in order to help the Tojo Clan and train, "purify", himself. On the last night he made some promise with his best friend (Majima? No precision), something about the Tojo Clan.
And so, in jail, he does its best not to make any fuss no matter how much some inmates harass him. Two years goes by, and in December 2012 he learns of how someone "took his family" (or something from it?), so he escapes and go to Sapporo to get the fucker.
Are the prisons made in paper or what ????
All those stories likely converges in the bigger one, which as it has already been mentioned is about an all-out Tojo/Omi war.
For those wondering, main line Yakuza games always take place at the time of their Japanese release. Which means December 2012 for Yakuza 5.

can't wait for it ...

Yuterald

- I saw a few guys here worrying about Sky Finance, but the story on famitsu.com actually says Akiyama is visiting Osaka to expand business, so it should be okay. He gets drawn into the story upon learning of the untimely death of someone close to him.

This doesn't mean Hana, does it? =(

Yuterald

Looks great. I only ever played the first game though. I wonder if I'll be lost in this one...

I suggest thunder gunning the entire series if you are interested in this. Playing through these games in order IMMENSELY increase the enjoyment factor of the latter games. You may as well just find a copy of Yakuza 2 and keep going with it. Each game also provides brief summaries of the previous games in case you forgot certain things. You'll appreciate certain things/characters/plot elements ten fold if you just play all the games, however. Each game is about 10-15 hours if you just blast through them anyway and ignore the side stuff (which for me is like impossible to do. Yakuza games are an EASY 80 hour comas when I first play them). Regardless, play these games!

GrayFoxPL

Yes yes now I just want a trailer.

K
iYEdEY8VXUrRE.jpg

you'll only be lost with the characters in the sidequests. you can check the recaps but you should play them all. marathon!

I suggest thunder gunning the entire series if you are interested in this. Playing through these games in order IMMENSELY increase the enjoyment factor of the latter games. You may as well just find a copy of Yakuza 2 and keep going with it. Each game also provides brief summaries of the previous games in case you forgot certain things. You'll appreciate certain things/characters/plot elements ten fold if you just play all the games, however. Each game is about 10-15 hours if you just blast through them anyway and ignore the side stuff (which for me is like impossible to do. Yakuza games are an EASY 80 hour comas when I first play them). Regardless, play these games!
Yeah I don't know what made me pass on the other games because I enjoyed the first one immensely. I don't know if they came on PAL or my PS2 had just given up at the time. But yeah I'll check them out!

Top Bottom