• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 screens

Fjordson

I tried to play the first Yakuza like...almost two years ago I think it was, but I couldn't do it. I've never been one to go back to older games, just can't get through them for whatever reason.

I'm watching the story for 1 and 2 on YouTube, though, before 3 and 4 arrive probably next Wednesday. So damn hyped. I downloaded the demo for 3 and it was pretty awesome.

It's so weird, this topic and the OP just made something go off in my mind. Suddenly felt the need to play this series asap :lol

Yeah this thread made me go back and try Yakuza 4. I can see the appeal of these games, but I couldn't get past the dress up hostess mini game. I kept thinking Chris Hansen was going to step into the room.

cj_iwakura

Yeah this thread made me go back and try Yakuza 4. I can see the appeal of these games, but I couldn't get past the dress up hostess mini game. I kept thinking Chris Hansen was going to step into the room.

That almost stopped me. It's all up hill after that. Fight on!

Midou

There is only like one forced hostess part, and it's not really pedophilia in the slightest.. it's more like playing with dolls and Chris Hansen is not against that.

I didn't do any of that beyond what was necessary, but even the forced part is short.

Kazzy

There is only like one forced hostess part, and it's not really pedophilia in the slightest.. it's more like playing with dolls and Chris Hansen is not against that.

No, It's definitely not. I was just speaking more to the fact that I didn't want to play that particular section.

Stuart444

Just finished playing Yakuza 1, great game even with the english (though some parts near the end didn't have too much emotion from the english VAs. Also lip syncing could be a lot better)

Next onto Yakuza 2, the only main-entry Yakuza I've not played. This series is just great though <3

cj_iwakura

Just finished playing Yakuza 1, great game even with the english (though some parts near the end didn't have too much emotion from the english VAs. Also lip syncing could be a lot better)

Next onto Yakuza 2, the only main-entry Yakuza I've not played. This series is just great though <3

2 is widely regarded as the best. I still need to find a copy.

Finalow

so after Yakuza 4 I should just don't give a fuck about the plot anymore and enjoy beating people.
hope to don't get bored doing that in Yakuza 5.

2 is widely regarded as the best. I still need to find a copy.

2's story gets fucking silly in the last hour or so (like every Yakuza game I guess), but everything prior to that is gold. Has a really deftly-handled romance too; it's a sin Sega didn't continue with it in the future installments.

Mikhal

Not the best solution; but she will make enough money no matter how little you try in the hostess section. So you can just half-ass it and "skip" the whole dress-up part till it's over and done with.

simtmb

All the other games looked good before release too lol. Not that it matters though.

I'm hoping they do something new with this main release though (not Of the End/Dead Souls etc). My favourites are easily Y2 then Kenzan, with every other recent release being hugely dissappointing. For me it really is getting boring, i've been with it since the first game, and with every release it gets less and less enjoyable for me.

I do love the series so i will continue to support it. Would just love it to feel somewhat fresh again.

WhyMe6

So keen for this one, even though I've yet to finish Yakuza 4 and I haven't even purchased Of The End (which I'll likely skip or play later) and Kenzan. Those screens look absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to be in the Hokkaido winter. Though there's not really much opportunity for fighting or "gangster" style stories, I'd really love for them to include a smaller, seaside or countryside location like Matsushima or Kawaguchiko.

On the topic of greatest Yakuza games, my list so far would easily be 3 > 2 >>> 1. I'm such a sucker for atmosphere, and while Y2's Osaka was awesome, Y3's Okinawa (plus it's upgraded graphics sucking me into the game) were just absolutely awesome.

Suzuki Yu

All the other games looked good before release too lol. Not that it matters though.
all the other games were using pre-rendered cut-scenes, it's not going to be the case here.
anyone how played Binary Domain knows that the team managed to match quality between cut-scenes and gameplay and that all the cut-scenes in the game are actually real-time.
to understand what i am talking about watch this from 4:00 to 6:00 & also starting from 9:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=ELVmHxMeFVglU&feature=player_detailpage&v=41hQFlBcJL0#t=237s
you will notice that the game is using a very dynamic and seamless cut-scenes and conversation system all in real-time... so i am assuming all those cut-scenes shots from Y5 are actually real-time.

simtmb

all the other games were using pre-rendered cut-scenes, it's not going to be the case here.
anyone how played Binary Domain knows that the team managed to match quality between cut-scenes and gameplay and that all the cut-scenes in the game are actually real-time.
to understand what i am talking about watch this from 4:00 to 6:00 & also starting from 9:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=ELVmHxMeFVglU&feature=player_detailpage&v=41hQFlBcJL0#t=237s
you will notice that the game is using a very dynamic and seamless cut-scenes and conversation system all in real-time... so i am assuming all those cut-scenes shots from Y5 are actually real-time.

Not the cutscenes i'm talking about. The Yakuza games cutscenes actually are in real-time with only a few being pre-rendered (Y3 and the tower incident cutscene), they just utilize higher quality models etc. The early reception to screenshots of the other games was similar to this with most being particularly impressed with cutscene screenshots, but later felt the general gameplay visuals to be lacking.

Suzuki Yu

Not the cutscenes i'm talking about. The Yakuza games cutscenes actually are in real-time with only a few being pre-rendered (Y3 and the tower incident cutscene), they just utilize higher quality models etc. The early reception to screenshots of the other games was similar to this with most being particularly impressed with cutscene screenshots, but later felt the general gameplay visuals to be lacking.
i don't think so.
all the cut-scenes in past Yakuza games are clearly much better than the in-game engine.
you have better models with better facial expressions, better animation, better lightning and shadowing, better AA and other special effects.
yes some of the cut-scense of a higher quality but all the cut-scenes were pre-rendered... unlike in BD.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=EL...FlBcJL0#t=237s

So they'll stop doing that janky crap where in the middle of a cutscene, it would switch to in-game text boxes? lol

simtmb

i don't think so.
all the cut-scenes in past Yakuza games are clearly much better than the in-game engine.
you have better models with better facial expressions, better animation, better lightning and shadowing, better AA and other special effects.
yes some of the cut-scense of a higher quality but all the cut-scenes were pre-rendered... unlike in BD.

I guess i'm not remembering correctly as i could of sworn they have some significant aliasing lol. Ah well, my bad xD

lol I never touched any of that. everyone has huge fists, why not use them?

And the whole limited amount of hits before they break ain't cool =/

Weapon and armor building was much better in Dead Souls. In Yakuza 3 and 4 it was quite obscure, slow, difficult and not really worth it.

Endo Punk

lol I never touched any of that. everyone has huge fists, why not use them?

And the whole limited amount of hits before they break ain't cool =/

It really spices up the gameplay though. I love when I have this real bad ass weapon I made and everyone shows fear when I whip it out :D I use it only in adventure mode after completion, that way I have the money to fix broken weapons and just have fun. And some have unique heat attacks.

They included what I really wanted - more (new) cities. Looks nice as well.
I'm pleased, will buy.

Now I'm feeling almost bad for skipping Dead Souls because I want to encourage Sega to localize Y5 ASAP.

Also, I would feel much more comfortable if Haruka were at least 18... ;>

So they'll stop doing that janky crap where in the middle of a cutscene, it would switch to in-game text boxes? lol

That's always been a deliberate device to speed things along. Not just a cost-saving thing. Where it makes sense - where a cutscene would otherwise go too long and not be either visually interesting enough, or reveal anything crucial, you get text boxes you can tap through instead. It's smart design - giving the player a chance to interact (even if it be nothing more than to tap X several times) - if they've not otherwise had to touch the pad for a while.

Kazzy

Weapon and armor building was much better in Dead Souls. In Yakuza 3 and 4 it was quite obscure, slow, difficult and not really worth it.

It honestly felt like a badly implemented fan-mod most of the time, it was hugely inconvenient and wasn't at all necessary. I only ever used any of the weapons in combat during the challenges, and even then it was because you were given them.

In a game based around it's melee combat, it never made the most sense to focus on weapon crafting.

More details on how they're handling Haruka in combat

One of the big surprises from last week's announcement was that Haruka, a character who's been part of the series since the first installment, will at last be a playable character, one of the game's five main characters. The question everyone had is, would sweet little Haruka be taking part in street fights with Tokyo (and Nagoya, Sapporo, Osaka and Fukuoka) thugs?

The answer appears to be no. In an interview, series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi said that Haruka won't be taking part in battles with street thugs. However, she will have a different type of battle element. We're going to have to wait for details.

The underage Haruka also won't be taking part in the adult play spots, most notably the host club component. However, to make up for this, she will have her own exclusive play spots that Kiryu and the other men won't be able to enjoy.

And this is the big news

Also in the interview, Nagoshi mentioned that the game's scenario has two times the volume of Yakuza 4.

http://andriasang.com/con16w/yakuza5_update/

androvsky

i don't think so.

I'm not sure about that. If you download the Yakuza 3 demo, there's a long cut-scene before you fight the boss in Stardust. Towards the end of that cut-scene there's a part where the camera spins around the characters a few times, but the hard drive doesn't show any activity during it. The spinning is a ton of information for a video codec, but it's nothing if it's real time.

On the other hand, I don't see how they'd pull off those graphics with a rock-solid framerate, given how the rest of the game looks.

In an interview, series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi said that Haruka won't be taking part in battles with street thugs. However, she will have a different type of battle element. We're going to have to wait for details.
Dance battles. Looks like I'm going to have to work on my Space Channel 5 skills.

Sophia

Two times the volume of Yakuza 4? Good god, what does Nagoshi's team fucking run on to make games that massive? o_O;

I tried to play the first Yakuza like...almost two years ago I think it was, but I couldn't do it. I've never been one to go back to older games, just can't get through them for whatever reason.

I'm watching the story for 1 and 2 on YouTube, though, before 3 and 4 arrive probably next Wednesday. So damn hyped. I downloaded the demo for 3 and it was pretty awesome.

It's so weird, this topic and the OP just made something go off in my mind. Suddenly felt the need to play this series asap :lol

I had the same feeling a couple years ago when I saw Yakuza 2 sitting on a store shelf. I picked it up and loved it. Surprisingly I never actually finished it. I got a little more than halfway through.

I ended up watching the entire story for 1 and 2 on youtube from "StrikeArranges" page. Actually put together everything amazingly well.

Preordered and picked up Yakuza 3 when it was localized and never looked back. Played Yakuza 4 and still playing through Dead Souls currently. Such an amazing series. Also I loved how they even offered the Reminisce option to go and watch the previous games after each installment.

I hope you will really dig the series. It's so damn awesome.

I am pretty worried that Yakuza 5 might not make its way over to the states. I didn't read through the entire thread, but didn't the man at Sega responsible for getting the games localized leave Sega?

Fjordson

I think I will like it. Any game that is able to convincingly portray a setting, either real world or fictional, is almost always able to grab my attetion, and everyone I know who's played Yakuza has said that it does an impeccable job with the various cities.

And the story already has me hooked with Yakuza 1. Kazuma is the biggest boss of all time.

5 not coming Stateside would be a real bummer right as I get into the series =[ and much worse I'm sure for longtime fans. Hope Sega comes through!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's always been a deliberate device to speed things along. Not just a cost-saving thing. Where it makes sense - where a cutscene would otherwise go too long and not be either visually interesting enough, or reveal anything crucial, you get text boxes you can tap through instead. It's smart design - giving the player a chance to interact (even if it be nothing more than to tap X several times) - if they've not otherwise had to touch the pad for a while.
It takes me out of the moment so hard. I'd rather they do the crappy Mass Effect dialog wheel at that point instead of dumping you back into the game and taking away all the voices.

Either the game is very, very loud or it's going to be insanely long. Because Yakuza 4 was a massive damn game.

I have feeling that it's branching path and multiple ending. I think the first reveal mention the term dynamic script, I can only think of multiple story path.

Go_Ly_Dow

(caps button doesn't work)

i really wish that sega would approach sony for some help with marketing the game. yakuza series has remained faithful to sony systems and i'm sure makes them a lot of money in japan. it would be nice if sony would be willing to give the game some exposure just to help bring up western sales.

a small segment at e3 would be ideal, outlining all the great things in the yakuza series (similar to what nintendo did with dq9 at e3 2011), but i'm sure that would never happen :(

just some more exposure, or help with localization would be fantastic.

*sighs*

oh and maybe it's worth adding: 'info update', to the thread title?

From the Famitsu interview:

Also regarding Kamurocho, I want to up the level of the street play, so that you can access the shops from the exterior and be able to play within them as well. The new cities follow the same system design, but given the volume and quantity, the standard for the street play is incomparable to the past titles. Considering the amount of drama as well, there’s no mistaking that this title has the largest volume of content so far.

So, seamless transition from the streets to the shops, very cool.

Sega also published a "Miss Yakuza 5" audition video, and the website has an audition page too.

Top Bottom