• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

hamsjams

Time Crisis with an analog stick (or d-pad) is not fun.

I definitely have fun with them. It's not as fun as with motion controls or in the arcades for sure, but it's the same input as any other console shooter. It just doesn't have the admittedly important sticky targeting/auto-aim that most games do. I think it doesn't have it, anyway.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
Finished my initial run on Normal to unlock Legend.

Would people recommend using New Game + for Legend? Or doing it completely raw? It's going to be my completion run, as I absolutely steamrolled through Normal avoiding all optional content. That's likely what made parts of the game frustrating as hell, being underlevelled and not adequately stocked with restoratives for some battles, but I imagine a full completion run on Legend is perfectly manageable starting from scratch?

I...quite like the car chases.

What exactly do you dislike about them? They can sometimes require multiple attempts due to demanded precision, but they seem mechanically sound and rational. I don't recall ever feeling that they were unfair, either. Just difficult. Isn't it basically Time Crisis?

Just that the thumbstick control with that kind of game is not fun for me. The lack of precision and the sluggishness of aiming is really frustrating.

Cess007

I've finally been able to play this (amazon delayed my copy for one week) and I've to say, this is my first time playing the original Yakuza and while uneven at times, I'm enjoying the game. I miss some of the Zero elements (where's my real state mini-game?) but overall, I'm still having fun.

Also, it was funny to see again the guy from the mini-cars minigame lol

Yeah... was hoping there's a less time consuming way, but it appears there isn't, I tried some of the in-game strategies it gives you (press square in the game) and they weren't working for me. I guess 1000 chips a time for 50 times it is!

I did this in 0, and yeah save scumming is required:

Divide my bets between certain random clumps of numbers (so I bet a fifth of my chips on 5 different numbers/blocks of numbers). Doing this means It means your less likely to win compared to betting on odds/evens or red/black but the payout is way higher. Also, always bet some chips on 0,00,2. Its most likely very rare you'll get any sort of payout from this one, but if you do you'll be in the money.

That worked for me in 0, and I think I did the same basic thing the last time I played Kiwami (its been a year or more so I forget exactly how I did it!)

Roulette- any tips to get the 50k WITHOUT using the Jewels (saving for Haruka requests)? I have been betting on 00 with lucky equipment in the hope of hitting a big payout (twice), but went through 30k chips that way.

Wat. Don't do that. Haruka requests only 1000 chips in roulette, making the 50k requirement much harder just so you can cheese that poultry amount is super dumb.

The only Haruka request involving gambling that I had any trouble with was the Baccarat one.

jdstorm

Banned
I did this in 0, and yeah save scumming is required:

Divide my bets between certain random clumps of numbers (so I bet a fifth of my chips on 5 different numbers/blocks of numbers). Doing this means It means your less likely to win compared to betting on odds/evens or red/black but the payout is way higher. Also, always bet some chips on 0,00,2. Its most likely very rare you'll get any sort of payout from this one, but if you do you'll be in the money.

That worked for me in 0, and I think I did the same basic thing the last time I played Kiwami (its been a year or more so I forget exactly how I did it!)

You can use a consumable that will make it always land on green (at least one exists in game) so just place a 1K bet and use the boost. You litterally have a 50% chance of getting either 0 or 00 and it pays 36:1

Yeah... was hoping there's a less time consuming way, but it appears there isn't, I tried some of the in-game strategies it gives you (press square in the game) and they weren't working for me. I guess 1000 chips a time for 50 times it is!

You can use a consumable that will make it always land on green (at least one exists in game) so just place a 1K bet and use the boost. You litterally have a 50% chance of getting either 0 or 00 and it pays 36:1

Yeah but doing that then screws you over when you need to do the Haruka's Trust Roulette challenge. The original poster already mentioned that they are saving the cheat items for that challenge, which is the smart move as its much harder to do the challenge. It just saves frustration in the long run.

Yeah but doing that then screws you over when you need to do the Haruka's Trust Roulette challenge. The original poster already mentioned that they are saving the cheat items for that challenge, which is the smart move as its much harder to do the challenge. It just saves frustration in the long run.

Except it isn't harder at all. The challenge is laughably easy.

jrcbandit

What's the point of doing Haruka's requests in the post game adventure mode? I finished the game and did most of the content (including learning all of Majima moves, what a pain lol) except for some of the side gambling games I didn't want to learn and the final side mission fight - kept dying at the 2nd round. Was thinking of selling off the game since I doubt I'll play it anymore unless the Haruka content is good?

xclk07

What's the point of doing Haruka's requests in the post game adventure mode? I finished the game and did most of the content (including learning all of Majima moves, what a pain lol) except for some of the side gambling games I didn't want to learn and the final side mission fight - kept dying at the 2nd round. Was thinking of selling off the game since I doubt I'll play it anymore unless the Haruka content is good?

A trophy. She gives you some stuff, but it's mostly for the trophy.

I played Kiwami in Normal and the car shooting scene felt exactly like the one from 0 to me. From what I'm reading here about various parts of the game it seems like Kiwami's biggest flaw is that the harder difficulties aren't balanced well at all.

The only parts that felt *really* bullshit to me were the chapter 3 damage sponge boss and the dice game guy and his friends.
Jingu
and his two henchmen were pretty annoying but at that point I could just Tiger Drop them to hell.

All the other bosses were genuinly fun or at least didn't leave a negative impression.

I thought the two brothers in Debolah were really fun to fight in Rush style.

Except it isn't harder at all. The challenge is laughably easy.

Well yes and no. She asks you to win X amount of points but any losses mean you then have to win even more points to cover your losses. Its just annoying so its easier just to use the cheat item to side step the entire thing. Or just quit out and reload until you get lucky.

Wait, people hated the car chase on Yakuza 0? I thought it was awesome!

I don't remember the car chase in Yakuza 0, but Kiwami was annoying. Especially in
the truck segment where the guy keeps shooting rocket launcher while being shot at the same time.
I kept dying at that part.

Jimrpg

The car chase in 0 was tough as nails on 'hard', mostly because the controls were straight up bad.

I'm getting nervous about the one in Kiwami now, because I'm also playing on hard.

Opa-Pa

I thought the chase in 0 was pretty cool, actually. Pretty much thought "Wow this is just like in Y1, except not shit!"

Wasn't too hard either, I think I lost once on hard.

Kiwami's is a disgrace though.

Well yes and no. She asks you to win X amount of points but any losses mean you then have to win even more points to cover your losses. Its just annoying so its easier just to use the cheat item to side step the entire thing. Or just quit out and reload until you get lucky.

I mean, that's basically what you have to do to get to 50k anyway, so it's still FAR better to use those items getting to that number than it is to get to just 1k.

As far as the car chase goes, it's worse than Zero's because there are a couple of parts that you just have to get lucky on and if you don't, your health bars just disappear on harder difficulties. So ideally it needed to be rebalanced to make it a bit more forgiving. But having said that, a save right before that segment alone would've been a huge improvement. Having to replay the entire chapter over and over again on Legend is pure garbage.

Edit: Oh and the camera sucks during it too. There were times during my numerous Legend attempts where there were off-screen enemies shooting at me and a couple of times where rockets were impossible to hit.

Edit: Oh and the camera sucks during it too. There were times during my numerous Legend attempts where there were off-screen enemies shooting at me and a couple of times where rockets were impossible to hit.

Yeah, there were several times during the Kiwami car chase that Kiryu's car clipped into the scene and I couldn't see anything around me. That didn't happen in the Zero chase at least.

--
I'm on Ch. 10 now and the pacing issues are starting to show again.
After the drama of 9 (sad that they killed Reina...I'm guessing for people who played 1 back in the day it wasn't a big impact, but coming from Zero where she was one of Kiryu's few trusted allies, it was a shock...and I had assumed she was a series regular), I'm having to do errand quests to proceed and it's kind of killing the narrative momentum.

Majima's random pop-ups are getting really annoying at this point (I'm on A rank with Everywhere) with his giant health bar.

Shin-Ra

Mahjong complete, down to the last 8 weapons for 100% Completion List. Two from the Coliseum (200K, 400K) and six high priced from the weapons dealer. I’ll keep buying and selling the highest value weapons I’ve got and bingo.

Then Legendary and the Car Chase of Doom.

RPGCrazied

Wow, this game is so much shorter then 0. Not even 20 hours in and I'm on the last chapter. I did over 45 sub stories too, so its not like I was rushing. Oh well, still a great game with tense moments.

Time to start 3 probably tomorrow.

Wow, this game is so much shorter then 0. Not even 20 hours in and I'm on the last chapter. I did over 45 sub stories too, so its not like I was rushing. Oh well, still a great game with tense moments.

Time to start 3 probably tomorrow.

Sometimes I wish I could go watch a Lets Play of someone's playthrough when they post hours, because I just don't know how they get through it so fast. I'm at about 32 hours on Ch. 10 and only done about 20 side stories, went through the hostess stories, and just a few games of the various mini-games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
24 hours to beat it, didn't finish all side content but did a good majority, maybe 90% or more. Easily one of the best $29.99 spent. Plus, a really cool steelbook to go with it.

The wait for Yakuza 6 is gonna be unbearable :(

Tron999

I just had the date with Goromi. That was...interesting, lol. I'm loving the majima everywhere, but i can imagine it might get old.

I did all the pocket racer. I'm still on chapter 4. I have done all the side stories that I can so far. The substory finder CP award is the best.

Sometimes I wish I could go watch a Lets Play of someone's playthrough when they post hours, because I just don't know how they get through it so fast. I'm at about 32 hours on Ch. 10 and only done about 20 side stories, went through the hostess stories, and just a few games of the various mini-games.

I feel the same way. I'm baffled by the playtimes people list here.

Even if you cut out the amount of time I wasted trial and erroring Pocket Circuit and the time I spent idle while I went to go smoke a cigarette or something, I would still be pushing the 40 hour mark. Then again, I did farm Majima a lot in order to max out my levels + complete Dragon of Dojima.

xclk07

I feel the same way. I'm baffled by the playtimes people list here.

Even if you cut out the amount of time I wasted trial and erroring Pocket Circuit and the time I spent idle while I went to go smoke a cigarette or something, I would still be pushing the 40 hour mark. Then again, I did farm Majima a lot in order to max out my levels + complete Dragon of Dojima.

I did 100% completion on hard in 65 hours... no idea if that is fast or slow.

Wait, people hated the car chase on Yakuza 0? I thought it was awesome!
Same here. Liked the chase in Kiwami as well.
Yup, seems we're the minority here.
GKSGOtE.gif

Though, I mostly love that scene because it gave us so many fun/joke posts in the OT, about how everyone of those goons were alive and sorry for their actions lol

pixxxelz

So how did you guys beat the master cup in pocket circuit? I can't for the life of me beat the damn thing! I tried doing some research and find this in neoseeker:
but for some reason I keep falling off even if I use lower tier gears and the 3.0 stabilizer, shit is driving me insane!

So how did you guys beat the master cup in pocket circuit? I can't for the life of me beat the damn thing! I tried doing some research and find this in neoseeker:
but for some reason I keep falling off even if I use lower tier gears and the 3.0 stabilizer, shit is driving me insane!

I used this guide to help me:
https://imgur.com/a/mfqkO

There were a few small adjustments I made from them but it helped a lot.

xezuru

I'm nearing 90% completion on my Legend run, and dear god i did not expect the reward for maxing
hostess
stuff, jeeeeeeeeeez, anyways anyone have tips for getting all the weapons and equips / farming money

evilalien

I'm nearing 90% completion on my Legend run, and dear god i did not expect the reward for maxing
hostess
stuff, jeeeeeeeeeez, anyways anyone have tips for getting all the weapons and equips / farming money

Ebisu Socks, rubber band, somewhere with no enemies. Otherwise, do the final coliseum tournament over and over, or Cho-Han. Make sure you maximize value from all cheat items as well.

Ebisu Socks, rubber band, somewhere with no enemies. Otherwise, do the final coliseum tournament over and over, or Cho-Han. Make sure you maximize value from all cheat items as well.

Pretty much this. And in terms of the arena, tiger dropping all foes is by far the easiest and quickest way of getting points. So do that.

evilalien

Pretty much this. And in terms of the arena, tiger dropping all foes is by far the easiest and quickest way of getting points. So do that.

On easy (and you really should be doing this on easy unless you are on your legend run), it's best to just dodge any attack for full heat and then do any 2 heat actions (The hold R1 + have some distance from the enemy one in Dragon style works best for me). On any other difficulty, yeah just tiger drop everybody.

Regarding that Ch. 11(?) scene with
Majima
at the dock,
what is up with Kiryu leaving Majima to possibly die in the ocean? Majima just helped him defeat a squad of yakuza and yet Kiryu doesn't have time to even check if he's dead? Seemed really against Kiryu's personality. Was this scene from the PS2 original?

xezuru

Thanks guys for the advice but for the battlestuff trust me I've been playing Yakuza series with the rest of you guys 😂, I got the infinite heat item from Climax Battles and a lot of swag, just farming items and gambling my arch rivals, MAHJONG

Regarding that Ch. 11(?) scene with
Majima
at the dock,
what is up with Kiryu leaving Majima to possibly die in the ocean? Majima just helped him defeat a squad of yakuza and yet Kiryu doesn't have time to even check if he's dead? Seemed really against Kiryu's personality. Was this scene from the PS2 original?

Yeah, this scene sucked.
It wasn't in the PS2 original, basically they needed to have Majima injured to explain why he was bandaged up in his second story boss fight, however I guess they figured that it made no sense that Majima would have been fighting Kiryu tons of times in the last few chapters via the Majima Anywhere system so they needed to tack on an extra scene to re-explain his injury.

Top Bottom