• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm [2DFG Indiegogo; $118K Funded; Over]

Oh really? Played a round of the Alpha build with Dascu and it was really smooth, exceptionally so.

I'd heard from a friend who had backed the $40 tier prior that they hadn't implemented it. But your comment made me curious having played a good amount of v4.3, so I decided to give it a whirl with a different friend who also got the alpha access today. Now with 4.3, I had some issues here and there even with a connection like East to West Coast. My netcode experiences with it were way better than I had expected for a doujin game, but there was certainly room for improvement.

The friend I just tested the alpha out with today is from Mexico and I'm on the EC. Despite a 150~ ping(lol), it was remarkably playable, which led him and I to believe that something had improved during the transition from 4.3 to Alpha. We could tell it wasn't based off of ggpo yet since rollbacks weren't present, but he seemed to think engine tweaks could have smoothed things out with this alpha.

Subaru

Oh god I want to try it so much! =(
I'm really sad that I didn't help at the time... I don't remember this campaing at all!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot to withold names to protect the innocent

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Beta Keys Delivery + Message from Shiza!

Apologies for the wait!! Keys for the Beta version of Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm will be sent to qualifying ($40+) backers of the Yatagarasu AoC IndieGogo campaign today at 12pm PST.

20141212081607-ss_024.png

The Beta version includes all three new characters, six(!) new commentators including Jchensor, UltraDavid, and Maximilian, and other new features and improvements. For a detailed list of updates and changes, please see the Alpha > Beta Changelist Thread in the Yatagarasu AoC Steam discussion group.

Key new features in the Beta version are:
•All three new characters (Aja, Kotaro, Azure) are now playable
•Six(!) new commentators available. Welcome to Jchensor, UltraDavid, Maximilian, Kamichang, Kaq, and Kubo!
•New character voiceovers
•Two new stages added
•Gameplay has been rebalanced and improved
•Menu functionality has been improved
•More! For a detailed list of updates and changes, please see the Alpha > Beta Changelist Thread in the Yatagarasu AoC Steam discussion group.

click

Hello, Shiza from the Yatagarasu dev team here.

This is much later than planned, but beta testing of the PC version of Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is now live. The Beta version includes all three of the new characters (Azure, Kotaro, Aja) in playable form. These are the major new feature of Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm, so we hope you enjoy them.

20141212081649-ss_132.png

Of course, the objective of the beta test is to make improvements to the game as release approaches, so any feedback, impressions, or suggestions you may have will be gratefully received and considered by the dev team. Please post feedback to the Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm discussion group on Steam, or you can tweet me directly at @shizap.

Please be aware that not all of the graphics are final and these will be addressed as a priority. There are also various features that we have not implemented yet and will follow too. We still have a lot to implement, so the final release will happen in the new year. Please accept our apologies for the long wait, but the extra time is definitely improving the final game. We very much appreciate your patience.

The Beta access is available to everyone who contributed to the Open Access ($40) and above perks in the Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm IndieGogo campaign. We are not planning to open beta access beyond this group as we did with the Alpha version, but we will hand out a limited quantity of Beta copies at this year’s winter Comic Market event. If you won’t receive a copy through the IndieGogo campaign, but can visit Comic Market and would like to try it out, please visit us at our booth at West あ 10a on Dec 30th (Tuesday).

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Shiza

Really feeling that regret of not backing for a beta copy right now. The new character sprites are look super nice.

Aja's in-game skirt looks way smaller than the old character portraits would lead you to believe. This must have been the reason why the game was delayed for so long. lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, the Beta updated in the background on me while sitting around on Steam.

I'm mostly just going over gameplay stuff I noticed, and this isn't comprehensive of the game / a how to play at all. But I'd love to see some people talking about it!

Overall:
- AHHHHH, new voices! Shimo sounds like a Tween Idol! Hanzo's not exactly the same! EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! .... This will take some getting used to.

- New characters are crazy just like Azure was at first intro. And he still seems kinda crazy.
  • Kotaro cancels Everything into EVERYTHING, working with so many aerial movement / attack options that it's nuts.
  • Aja has her own little chain-combo system with her specials, and you can hold a button to delay the launch of her moves, making her some odd mixup queen. She doesn't have the air options of the other characters, and her normals aren't as obvious to use either (One example being her crouching HP is a horizontal swipe, and not a good Anti-air at all.) She's all about tagging you with hits, and then forcing you into situations upon blockstun/hit to control what happens next.
  • Azure still has very low to the ground air projectiles, and now he has a hard bounce on his EX axe kicks, which flows nicely into stuff.
Overall, the new characters feel like they have so much going on, that playing old guys seems initially boring. I'm sure they have some new things, and they've got updated effects, new normals, and more, but nothing has jumped right out to me yet (past the voices!)

Random Points:
  • I really like the new music I've heard! Kotaro's reminds me of some old KoF themes.
  • Aja's stage changes condition between rounds.
  • There are some character introductions going on before VS battles. Mostly Vocal, some with animation.
  • Kotaro has a victory pose that's very May Lee Jinju.
  • >Overall, some of her animations are crazy smooth. I think KOTANI really liked working on her...​
  • Max is letting his 3rd Strike Fandom show in his announcements. That's cool.
  • Jchen seems to always comment on the wrong character having won... totally get the Salisbury jokes.
  • UltraDavid sounds really chill. Though I appreciate the line refs.
  • The new game announcer is actually male! "Let them Come! We Shall grind their bones to DUST! "
  • Talking gets crazy layered and confusing some times. Which is... kinda cool, because if feels like a crowd is talking about your gameplay, but it's messy too.

Just some initial impressions, I hope to see more from others who got their hands on this Beta!

Joule

Only had a bit of time to try out the beta with Kotaro and Aja.

Mostly will just echo SAB CA here: Kotaro has a lot of moves! Command jump, command throw, air kunai's and more. She's really neat in how many cancel options she has. Thought you'd be able to cancel jump normals into the command jump into more normals but alas not so (can still cancel into her other air specials though. She's really interesting. Does anyone know what her kunai super does when it hits? It seems to put some sort of status on to the opponent.

She animates really nicely too.

Aja seems like she'll control space well with all those seemingly large sword specials but I didn't get to mess around too much yet.

On the new commentators: I like David's line when you first enter the match haha "Oh that guy, guess I'm the headline commentator... again". I think the English commentators did pretty well.

Also Hiya a japanese Yatagarasu player is streaming the new characters on netplay right now: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv203359158?ref=community

Mechazawa

So beta access got opened up to the peasant tiers. Really like the music in the new stages.

I never figured out something, though. What does picking the two different supers do? Far as I can tell, it doesn't lock you out of anything. I couldn't see any differences in their properties either. Anyone know?

Kikirin

So beta access got opened up to the peasant tiers. Really like the music in the new stages.

I never figured out something, though. What does picking the two different supers do? Far as I can tell, it doesn't lock you out of anything. I couldn't see any differences in their properties either. Anyone know?

The selected super is buffed. Damage ones are +20%, not sure about time/install-based ones but they're likely to have a longer duration.

Mechazawa

Ah, so that's it, thanks. I guess I was trying to read too much into looking for a visual cue instead of bothering to look at the health meters.

Top Bottom