• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee - Gamescom 2016 Trailer

ggx2ac

if you are interested in the game you like the genre..and if you like the genre how the hell did you not play banjo-kazooie?? ò_ò

I was a kid?

I only played from Rare on the N64 back then: Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day. I didn't have money to get a lot of games. I only rented Jet Force Gemini.

Edit: Add Killer Instinct Gold to that list of games I played.

Edit 2: So the only Rare N64 games I haven't touched are Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK64 and that Diddy Kong Racing game.

Pudd

Neo Member
Looks like it needs to be a bit more polished here and there but still my most anticipated game at the moment. Please let there be enough content. And i don't mean stretch the whole game with collectables....but they will, won't they?

Majukun

Looks like it needs to be a bit more polished here and there but still my most anticipated game at the moment. Please let there be enough content. And i don't mean stretch the whole game with collectables....but they will, won't they?

well,it's in the genre DNA...but what's important in the genre is what's between you and those collectables,you can put thousands of things to collect,if you don't have to put effort to get them,then you will not enjoy the collactathon...

Please don't be another Mighty Number 9

Judging from the Toybox they released for backers this will be nowhere near MN9 levels of failure.
This game will be very awesome. It's made by key staff of the Banjo-Team and it definitely shows, believe me. I played through the Toybox three times and while this thing is basically just a tech demo and nothing else it still feels exactly like a Banjo game, so exactly what they advertised.
I'm very very excited for the game.

oni-link

Judging from the Toybox they released for backers this will be nowhere near MN9 levels of failure.
This game will be very awesome. It's made by key staff of the Banjo-Team and it definitely shows, believe me. I played through the Toybox three times and while this thing is basically just a tech demo and nothing else it still feels exactly like a Banjo game, so exactly what they advertised.
I'm very very excited for the game.

That's great to hear

maxcriden

levels look a bit too big....banjo tooie had the same problem,with levelsso big that were a bit too dispersive...banjo-kazooie size maps would have been for the best IMHO

FWIW, if it's any consolation I think I read that they were aiming for somewhere between B-K and B-T size levels.

well,it's in the genre DNA...but what's important in the genre is what's between you and those collectables,you can put thousands of things to collect,if you don't have to put effort to get them,then you will not enjoy the collactathon...

I think I read they are trying to go for a good balance of platforming and collectibles, to learn the lessons from 3D platformers of the past as they best can apply today.

MrBadger

Is this the first time they've shown the antagonist and transformations?

Really is looking fantastic.

They revealed Despicable B a while ago, actually. here's a render

Yooka-Laylee-Captial-B.png

His name's actually Capital B

TirMcGrey

I'm getting some real good DK64 and Banjo Tooie vibes seeing the kind of worlds and enemies that populate this game. c:

weekev

Banned
Looks like a game made specifically for me. It's not going to be a technical masterpiece but the game just looks so Goddamn fun, with little bits of irreverent humour. Farming underwater to make a bubble to float about in just appeals to my inner 10 year old.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Looks better than I expected. Sounds slightly worse. Still HYPED.

Was that available to all backers who are getting the game or only for a higher tier?

To anyone else wondering, I found the email from last month. Toy Box is available to anyone who backed 20 gbp and up, Toy Box+ to anyone who backed 35 gbp and up.

nkarafo

This trailer looks very promising. The level designs look more interesting than just the floating isles in older footage of the game. I also like the new lighting/shadows they added. The recent Demo didn't have those effects.

The frame drops don't look good but i'm interested on the PC version anyway.

This looks to be everything one could want in a successor to Banjo Kazooie.

(I still cannot fathom why MS and Rare never made a true BK3...just baffling)

Hopefully this gets a physical release at launch. I need this on my shelf.

In response to the discussion about Banjo Tooie and DK64, I think they're pretty different situations.

The thing is, the actual amount of collectibles in Tooie isn't THAT much higher than in Kazooie. There's some more stuff like the Cheato pages and such but it's not really a huge increase over Kazooie. Hell there's actually less Jiggies than before (90 compared to Kazooie's 100), and notes are easier to collect due to five of them being bundled together. It's not like DK64 which is literally collecting for the sake of collecting.

If anything, Tooie's "issue" isn't the collectibles, it's just that the worlds themselves are giant in comparison to Kazooie's, meaning it takes longer to get those collectibles.

nkarafo

Everything that comes out of Laylee's mouth is making me chuckle
"Tell us about your brave quest for fast food"

In response to the discussion about Banjo Tooie and DK64, I think they're pretty different situations.

The thing is, the actual amount of collectibles in Tooie isn't THAT much higher than in Kazooie. There's some more stuff like the Cheato pages and such but it's not really a huge increase over Kazooie. Hell there's actually less Jiggies than before (90 compared to Kazooie's 100), and notes are easier to collect due to five of them being bundled together. It's not like DK64 which is literally collecting for the sake of collecting.

If anything, Tooie's "issue" isn't the collectibles, it's just that the worlds themselves are giant in comparison to Kazooie's, meaning it takes longer to get those collectibles.
IMO the issue with DK64 and Tooie was the level design, not the number of collectibles. The first B-K had pretty awesome level design for the most part (especially the haunted mansion map, it's still my favorite map in any 3D platform game). This is what makes collecting things enjoyable i think because you want to look in every corner and explore every part of those levels. If the levels themselves don't urge you to explore them fully, then the collectibles feel like a chore because you don't want to explore anymore but you have to.

DK went a step further by locking collectibles with certain characters. That was a terrible design choice. But again, it wasn't really the amount of collectibles that was the problem here.

I still hate the design of the bat (nose should be smaller imo) and the music for the trailer was bad.

but still going to get this cos the gameplay looks awesome.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are the environments all through some Unity Game Maker pack or something?

Ultimadrago

Was that a fart bubble underwater?

*sigh*

Anyways, the trailer still showing some solid environments and areas I'd like to bounce around in. Looking forward to more on it!

Real Hero

I feel bad for saying this but it reminds me of those lame 3D platformers that used to be everywhere, kao the kangaroo, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger etc

Aurongel

I really, really find the visuals off putting for some reason. The modern shader techniques and lighting make it look like those flashy but lame UE3/Unity recreations of classic platforming levels. This game in my head should really be trying to go for a brighter technical aesthetic rather than a more realistic one. It just feels like a huge artistic clash to have modern shaders and lighting over intentionally throwback character/environment design.

Top Bottom