• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee - Gamescom 2016 Trailer

Visually this trailer was the weakest thing about the game I've seen, but at the same time it was the first that has sold me on the gameplay.

Excitement levels coming up!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow this looks great. Really sleek graphics, gameplay looks tight and charming characters environments and characters. I didn't back it but I'll definitely pick it up for the PS4.

I kinda wish there was more platforming. Seems to be a lot of walking around huge, empty-ish areas and long, winding pathways.

It's true I haven't played Banjo or DK 64, but were those games also mostly running around a big world collecting stuff over actual 3D platforming? Just curious.

Why would anyone want to kill you? Sonic Adventure is a good game.

Yes, I definitely hope there is more platforming than what is shown. I don't want another Banjo Tooie situation.

The Eurogamer video looks really empty at times, like right at the start. They should at least litter the area with easily defeated/avoided enemies to give it life. It's dull at times. The lack of enemies throughout just looks very disappointing.

Espio

Yes, I definitely hope there is more platforming than what is shown. I don't want another Banjo Tooie situation.

The Eurogamer video looks really empty at times, like right at the start. They should at least litter the area with easily defeated/avoided enemies to give it life. It's dull at times. The lack of enemies throughout just looks very disappointing.

It probably should have been more clear in the video... we removed quite a few characters, enemies and challenges from this demo to avoid spoilers. It won't be as empty in the final game :)

BigEmil

Worried about the performance on consoles since this is running on Unity engine.

The latest version update of Unity apparently improved multithreaded performance hopefully they use that.

bede-x

Dat stutter/hitching. Can we start complaining about this now so it might be fixed before release? Oh, who am I kidding. This being Unity it will naturally ship in that state and stay that way no matter how they try to improve it :(

That aside it looks like everything I wanted.

It probably should have been more clear in the video... we removed quite a few characters, enemies and challenges from this demo to avoid spoilers. It won't be as empty in the final game :)

*looks through post history* oh hey a playtonic employee neat

By the way, those hoops with eyes you walk through, will they have some particle effect when they disappear in the final game or will they really just abruptly blink out of existence as seen in the recent trailers? Looks kinda weird to me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I still hate the design of the bat (nose should be smaller imo) and the music for the trailer was bad.

but still going to get this cos the gameplay looks awesome.

Bat's nose is in fact too small as it is.

I really, really find the visuals off putting for some reason. The modern shader techniques and lighting make it look like those flashy but lame UE3/Unity recreations of classic platforming levels. This game in my head should really be trying to go for a brighter technical aesthetic rather than a more realistic one. It just feels like a huge artistic clash to have modern shaders and lighting over intentionally throwback character/environment design.

I imagine this is something they would have iterated on further if the budget allowed it. Remember this isn't a big budget game.

shandy706

Anyone else happy to see these very grounded levels?

I was afraid we were getting floating platforms and stuff that wasn't as "logical" as BK or Conker.

That trailer makes me excited.

Salty Hippo

Another bad trailer.

Worlds look bland as fuck.

Framerate drops are super rough to watch (why would anyone choose to show it?).

Music choice is absolutely god awful.

Fart bubble is stupid.

Going through rings is not good level design.

This game has fucking nothing on Banjo.

Another bad trailer.

Fart bubble is stupid.

"Salty Hippo", indeed.

ramparter

Banned
Another bad trailer.

Fart bubble is stupid.

Then they definetely nailed the DK64 & Tooie feel :p

I think you are overreacting though.

I'm dying for a new 3D platformer but the trailer isn't doing it for me.

It looks really clunky and also dated. But not dated in a good way like Axiom Verge or Shovel Knight, but dated in a bad way that looks like Acitivision Z-team developed licensed fodder. It looks rough.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but right now I think we'll still be relying on Nintendo to bring us our next 3D platformer fix.

EDIT: Well..
This looks much, much better than the trailer. If they can get a constant 60fps on consoles, that will really help with the aesthetic. But low-poly visuals combined with a clunky framerate is never a good look or feel.

levels look a bit too big....banjo tooie had the same problem,with levelsso big that were a bit too dispersive...banjo-kazooie size maps would have been for the best IMHO

I'm certain I read in an interview that the initial levels would be Banjo-Kazooie sized, but later in the game you'd come back to the level and expand it- so you're not going to be thrown into huge, daunting levels like in Tooie.

Also, this looks so much better than I thought it was going to be. And I have always been hyped for it! I just want to get stuck into those worlds SO MUCH. There is honestly no exploration better than platforming exploration.

Grimalkin

A little concerned about the level design shown in the new trailer but I also think it's unreasonable to expect this to be a Banjo-Kazooie levels of awesomeness. I don't even expect it to be Ratchet & Clank (PS4 remake) level of good. Don't misunderstand me, R&C on PS4 was great but it wasn't BK god-tier level of amazing.

My expectations for Yooka-Laylee are that it's cute and fun and not too tedious.

kevin1025

Banned
My life has new meaning! This is looking real good, all this needs now is to populate the world a little more with enemies and to have obnoxiously good sound effects when picking up collectibles and it's just right. To next year!

I'm a little worried that a 12 year old me would have loved this game, but a 28 year old me won't.

That being said, if they were shooting for making a Banjo-Kazooie game, they are definitely hitting it. Looks like quite an homage.

SMG

Love the look but the Eurogamer vid showed how crummy the LOD is.
Hopefully there are options to tweak that. I'd rather always have the lower quality assets than have the screen constantly popping.

Kinsei

Banned
I told myself I'd stop watching trailers/gameplay but I couldn't resist. It's looking really good. Those frame stutters are annoying so hopefully they're ironed out by the time the game is released.

I'm not sure how I'm going to play through the game. Do I go through each level at it's smallest and then expand or fully complete each level as I go?

For the record, one of Banjo-Tooie's transformations was a van.

latest

Tooie also had a submarine and both Kazooie and Tooie had a washing machine. I don't see why mechanical transformations would worry people.

thefro

I'm a little worried that a 12 year old me would have loved this game, but a 28 year old me won't.

That being said, if they were shooting for making a Banjo-Kazooie game, they are definitely hitting it. Looks like quite an homage.

The toybox demo for YL (for backers) literally plays exactly like Banjo outside of the swimming controls. I'm playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time now and I can't tell a difference outside of YL running more smoothly.

It's fun.

Have to say that was a really poor trailer. Poor music, poor showing of areas, not exciting. But everything else I've seen of the game looks great! So keep on keeping on Playtonic!

My biggest issue with the game is that some of the worlds just look so empty. I get that it's a 3D platformer, and I'm not expecting hundreds of enemies or anything, but a lot of the worlds look so sparse to me.

My biggest issue with the game is that some of the worlds just look so empty. I get that it's a 3D platformer, and I'm not expecting hundreds of enemies or anything, but a lot of the worlds look so sparse to me.

Look above, a Playtonic employee already touched upon this.

Sydle

Looking beautiful!

After playing through the Toy Box and discovering they nailed the controls I am so hyped for this game.

Looks fine for their first project through Kickstarter but I won't set expectations too high. Hopefully it'll be a decent budget game.

Best wishes.

maxcriden

My life has new meaning! This is looking real good, all this needs now is to populate the world a little more with enemies and to have obnoxiously good sound effects when picking up collectibles and it's just right. To next year!

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Intel_89

It looks a bit barren at times, the area shown in the video is huge though. I'm still in for this anyway, seems like a great little platformer.

EDIT: maxcriden just solved my one issue with the demo, can't wait.

Man, this looks so good.

Worlds look vast and varied and highly detailed. Great use of bold color to make everything pop off the screen.

Finally something to scratch my 3D platforming collect-a-thon itch.

My only fear with this game is how tight the controls are going to be, the demo footage I have seen so far makes the movement appear very "floaty". I'm OK with a slower moving character overall if it eliminates that effect.

Top Bottom