• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee - Gamescom 2016 Trailer

Zendoc

Another Grant Kirkhope 'circus' music... meh. I want some Wise perfection please.

Trailer is not really great i think. That underwater section looked ugly.

p0rl

I'm a little worried about how satisfying the movement will feel.

Mario games are the best platformers to me because they have this addictive bounciness to the physics. Long jumping, wall jumping, diving, skidding, etc. are just enjoyable in their own right. Yooka Laylee looks a bit basic in the locomotion department.

Myriadis

Hah, it has more platforming than Banjo-Tooie, and that one's my favorite.

I'm a little worried about how satisfying the movement will feel.

Mario games are the best platformers to me because they have this addictive bounciness to the physics. Long jumping, wall jumping, diving, skidding, etc. are just enjoyable in their own right. Yooka Laylee looks a bit basic in the locomotion department.

Yeah, while I really like what I see and while it is one of the very few games I will play in the near future I feel like everything lacks a bit of 'punch'.

MagnesD3

I love whats been shown, it looks like it has alot of charm and fun like Kazooie/Tooie. I admit the music for the trailer didnt fit what was going on but im sure it fits in some game zone. The only thing im afraid of is that the worlds wont feel super unique and atmospheric as they used too I loved the themeing elements of the previous game and hope the world feels like a character as much as the npc's do. But then again the first level in the Banjo games is usually never your favorite.

Ps. I hope they add a grab ledge ability like Banjo Tooie because that was very useful.

Fou-Lu

The hatred of the music in this thread is what's truly awful.

I am still very hyped, yes it looks a bit janky, but it also looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

MagnesD3

The hatred of the music in this thread is what's truly awful.

I am still very hyped, yes it looks a bit janky, but it also looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

I do hope the music is as legendary as Kazooie/Tooie, I can still repeat all of their levels melodies in my mind to this day.

Kazooie

Banned
Even if this game is only a 7/10 I think I will still buy it for both PS4 and X One.

I just want to literally give money to any dev who releases a 3D platformer collectathon.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Now this is some actual Rare shit. Game looking better and better with each showing. Here's hoping it turns out great!

Gsnap

Ah, the eurogamer footage looks good. The area is big, but each part looks distinct enough to be manageable. Lots of characters to be found an different areas. A good mix of exploration, platforming, and unique challenges like mine carting and mini puzzle solving. And the collectibles seem logically placed and no annoyingly overwhelming. Hopefully we'll see some more people playing through the area later.

The Eurogamer gameplay video looks a hell of a lot better than the trailer. And that area should be even more fun with all the enemies, etc added in.

This continues to look so, so good. I need something like this. Makes me want to boot up Rare Replay and play some Banjo. Think I might actually.

Falchion

This game is going to be nostalgia overload for me, so many fond memories of Banjo and Kazooie.

I hope there's a cheat code room in the game.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
no worries here for my parts, but I might be biased as I grew up on dkc64 and banjo tooie, but not Banjo kazooie which I played more recently.

thing look very similar to what they did in that era, I never though there was too much collectable (except in dkc64, especially for the final K krool world), however this is something that they are aware of, from a prior interview.

I don't mind the toilet humor, it do not surprise me, after all you could fart and "vomit" eggs in banjo tooie.

My main concern so far is the emptyness of the worlds, but I doubt that this will be a big issue.

PSqueak

Banned
Another bad trailer.

Worlds look bland as fuck.

Framerate drops are super rough to watch (why would anyone choose to show it?).

Music choice is absolutely god awful.

Fart bubble is stupid.

Going through rings is not good level design.

This game has fucking nothing on Banjo.

Bolded are things banjo did too, not bolded are subjective.

Cryst

Played through Banjo Kazooie again recently (Rare Replay), and this trailer just hits all the right nostalgic points. Even if the game has 1998-style mechanics with 2016 graphics bump, I'll be satisfied.

Another bad trailer.

Worlds look bland as fuck.

Framerate drops are super rough to watch (why would anyone choose to show it?).

Music choice is absolutely god awful.

Fart bubble is stupid.

Going through rings is not good level design.

This game has fucking nothing on Banjo.

What a salty ass hippo

It's Banjo-Threeie and I love it. Really digging the new main villain, the snow world and the new city area.

Controls in water look a bit rough. I'm not 100% sure I like the characters' animations - maybe I'm just used to fat plumbers and bears, but I feel like there's no real sense of weight to the jumps. Just a small nitpick.

Fart bubble is stupid.
"Fart bubble is stupid" is now my favourite game criticism of the year.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I'm sorry—I realize I'm in the minority—but this looks generic as fuck.

I mean, I guess in comparison to the 90s Rare-o-sphere, yeah...

Nowadays though, there aren't that many games aiming for the same thing as Yooka-Laylee.

Everything about the game itself looks phenomenal. Really the only thing that concerns me is the Unity engine, which is complete garbage as far as I'm concerned (particularly when it comes to performance). Unreal would've been a much better choice.

Shin-Ra

Motion was juddery in the ToyBox pre-alpha, even with low detail settings so I'm not surprised to see the same here. Hopefully it's something they can fix with their Unity customisation.

Type_Raver

My GTX 1060 is ready for the steam version ...

It will be the first new game with the card that ill be playing since 3dmark :p

Shin-Ra

There's another new screenshot on the Playtonic site.

Plough.png

Blasto.png

Aldric

I mean, I guess in comparison to the 90s Rare-o-sphere, yeah...

Nowadays though, there aren't that many games aiming for the same thing as Yooka-Laylee.

You mean there's none.

lt's not generic at all, it's full of personality. Of course it looks, sounds and plays like a 90's Rare game, that's the point. Doesn't make it generic though. Generic would be a cover based tps in a post apocalyptic setting where you play as a 30 something dude wearing a beanie.

Very clean and nice visual style, which is something missing from a lot of other attempts at these kind of retro 3D platformers (probably helps that these guys are vets). Really just hope the PS4 port is up to snuff.

TheFatMan

This game looks like it will be fantastic. Laid back, beautiful vibrant levels, fun platforming....this will be day one for me.

Shin-Ra

Do Eurogamer's Yooka Laylee videos play really choppy for anyone else? The YouTube player grey-noise error-screen's eventually but the video plays ok (well, juddery like Toybox) downloaded with 4K Video Downloader.

I just framed through and there's both full-frame drops and weird instances where Yooka and Laylee animate for a frame, but none of the world around them.

aadiboy

The music was pretty bad. For a trailer like this, you should use more hype music to make even trivial platforming look exciting.

Top Bottom