• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono comments on Street Fighter 5 buttslap and related changes

MrHoot

I do and I feel like I've been pretty vocal in my dislike of the female characters designs in this game (minus Karin, who I dislike for other reasons).

So now that the butt-slap is gone you're gonna play the game, even though the design and sex appeal is still pretty much part of the core design of the game, but like maybe 5% was removed ? I don't know, I see this as silly.

Kinda like for that Critical Miss comic that spoke about George Kamitani basically embracing his designs: If you're gonna go sexy, at least be ballsy enough to own it and not try to hide behind some pretense. We're still getting front view shots of Laura's chest, MIka's costume design or Cammy's, we have an alt costume for Chun-Li. Hell we have sexy beard Ryu which is also getting a lot of popularity with the ladies, I'd just wish they'd actually do more fanservice like that for the ladies as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Meanwhile Poison and her Ultra 1 butt slapping was acceptable.

319063FA385D200362BE464133E5C520068C1BAA

Oh jesus, people were already reminding me of that chun-li chinese dress trailer from yesterday, now I see this.

I cant take it anymore

So at what point would enough be enough change? I'm genuinely curious when you say they should just make small changes over time in order to appease potential buyers.

Also, love the attitude of "fuck these guys, they're buying the game anyway afterall" you seem to have going on.

I guess by changes on a large scale he means getting rid off rmika outfit and tone down her boobs. But if you do it for her than you gotta change cammy, nerf Laura's Boobs etc.

To me this is bunch nonsense but it's the PC era that we live in where anything minor that might constitute as offensive is dealt with quickly. I'm never disturb by games or films but everyone is not me who has thick skin and generally doesn't give a Bleep. But that's just like my opinion anyway *kanye shrug

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You are in the internet. You can press a few buttons on your keyboard and see a woman dressed as a clown getting fucked with an oversized shoe (I think, if not, please pay me some royalties for when it inevitably happen).

Comments like these are so stupid.

Anyways, what he says and what is still in the game do not match. If he is looking to not offend anyone they better go back and make some cuts (Don't make anymore cuts). So, I'm not really buying the reasoning. It's a big bunch of whatever.

Kinsei

Banned
So now that the butt-slap is gone you're gonna play the game, even though the design and sex appeal is still pretty much part of the core design of the game, but like maybe 5% was removed ? I don't know, I see this as silly.

Oh sorry, I misread and though you said that people who complained about the game had no interest in playing at all. I still planned on buying the game before the change.

MrHoot

Oh sorry, I misread and though you said that people who complained about the game had no interest in playing at all. I still planned on buying the game before the change.

Oh my bad then !

I agree with you though saying that it's half hearted. I mean if they were honest and really cared about not alienating female players they'd change a lot more than the butt slap

Platy

Bearded Ryu makes me uncomfortable with his beauty standards

Thanks for you he is a retailer exclusive dlc ... you can easily never have it on your game

I don't think that addresses my question, exactly.

That article points that Mika can be awesome character because the way she adresses her sexuality ... this one might have a more related quote
http://www.themarysue.com/hot-ryu-follow-up/

This presents a stark and deeply depressing contrast to how women in fighting games have been treated. Not only do the women announced for Street Fighter V so far – Cammy, R. Mika, and Chun-Li – have all the same body types, they also are sexually objectified by the camera in a way that simply does not happen to the male characters. When Cammy performs her Special in Street Fighter V, her crotch is central during the slow-panning shot that happens in the middle of the move; this also happens to characters like Ken, but the difference is that Ken is wearing baggy pants, in contrast to Cammy’s thong leotard, so the outline of his genitals cannot be clearly seen. It’s not only that the women are wearing small outfits; it’s that the camera lingers on their backsides and cleavage during the slow-motion sequences of their intros, outros, and special attacks. The result is that the fandom is encouraged to comment about R. Mika’s looks (refer to the YouTube comments on her announcement video for examples). The game humanizes her by giving her funny lines and cool moves, but the camera dehumanizes her at every turn.

Street Fighter is one of those really cartoony series where I'd say you could easily offset the pandering behind the camera lingering on R. Mika with doing the same with stuff like bearded Ryu and similarly playing up the dudes rather than taking away from her. Just keep doing 'hot' alts of the guys and I'd argue you'd eventually have a good balance of male/female fanservice.

Sblargh

Banned
That's a bizarre argument

Comments like these are so stupid.

More stupid than saying that we live in an age hostile to sexualization when it is everywhere, including this one videogame that still have plenty of it, but a little less?

It's not really an argument, but a sexual over the top fun example about how sexual over the top fun is accessible to any of us at any time.

Anyways, what he says and what is still in the game do not match. If he is looking to not offend anyone they better go back and make some cuts (Don't make anymore cuts). So, I'm not really buying the reasoning. It's a big bunch of whatever.

He specifically says this phrase:
“Probably we won’t be able to remove everything that could offend someone."

They are not attempting to "not offend anyone". They are attempting to not offend too many people; and for reasons we can ruminate about, they decided that this one animation stood out. Which probably did given the comments when they showed it. I have still to understand the demand that they either cut everything that is possibly problematic for everyone (which is impossible) or that you shouldn't even try.

And if that's not what you people are saying, I need more explaining at what exactly y'all are saying.

Edit: Actually, I'm being a bit facetious here; my reasoning as to why people are making this demand is because their narrative is one of "people who changes these things are anti-sex"; and this conflicts with the reality of changing this one camera angle, but leaving a lot of other sexual poses, animations and models in the game. So, if your conundrum is "how they can be anti-sex when there's still sexualized elements in the game? Shouldn't they be completely anti-sex?", my answer to this would be that clearly they are not anti-sex; nor are most people who I see approving this kind of change.

paulogy

I'm all for keeping a mainstream title more family friendly, but I hope they at least have an age slider in the options or something to restore the original (still tame) animations

Sblargh

Banned
They should have a toggle in the options menu for the camera angle changes:

Are you a whiny, sensitive little bitch?

YES <
NO

And when you select yes, it directs you to a world where no one ever criticizes the stuff you like because you are a special person who deserves to be sheltered from those evil people saying bad stuff about your toys. How dare they, right?

I mean if some are offended by a little slap I guess others could be offended that SF started with several stereotypical characters depicting preconceived notions on certain races.. Amirite?

* Kanye shrug

I'm being sarcastic.

Trickster

I'm not saying that's what they should do, I'm saying that's what it looks like they're doing right now, while development is still in progress.

A potential sale is always a higher priority for marketing efforts than a guaranteed sale.

I just honestly maintain that it just doesn't make any sense. Not only is the change lazy in execution, it's litterally the same move as before, only now it looks weird during the start where the butt slap takes place because the timing of the camera feels off in order to exclude the ass from the move.

And if they seriously wanted to slowly move away from this kind of stuff. There's much better ways of doing it, without pissing off fans who like the Mika character. Such as maybe not give Laura, a character revealed after Mika, the biggest cleavage in the entire game. Also, the "HOT" edition which prominently features Chun-Li in her alt outfit ( which is waaaay "worse" than the buttslap ever was ) seems to go very heavily against the idea that they want to move away from this stuff.

And to use the HOT edition again. If the goal of removing the buttslap was to appeal to potential buyers who were too put off buying the game because of a single buttslap, then the HOT edition makes zero sense. The moment any potential buyers who were not gonna buy it before the r mika change, sees the chun-li alt outfit, they are gonna run away screaming

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This PC bullshit has got to stop. You can have the alternate Chun-Li outfit, Laura's Double D's and Cammy's ass but remove the ass slap? Give me a fucking break. If someone is uncomfortable, then too fucking bad. Stop pandering to people and just make your game.

Are you aware of the irony in this statement?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That article points that Mika can be awesome character because the way she adresses her sexuality ... this one might have a more related quote
http://www.themarysue.com/hot-ryu-follow-up/

Yes, that one's better.

Still though, the butt slap was also part of her playful personality, which I would think that person would be okay with.

Regardless, my main point is that I don't see how the butt slap, with it being the only thing that's changed, would be a deal breaker for a girl gamer. It's like that joke about how health conscious people order a double cheeseburger, large fries, but a diet coke.

ugly

You get a thumbs up from me, Ono. Regardless of any attatchment to what that means we may miss out on, your attitude is totally commendable. Well done! Hooray for acceptance!

I just honestly maintain that it just doesn't make any sense. Not only is the change lazy in execution, it's litterally the same move as before, only now it looks weird during the start where the butt slap takes place because the timing of the camera feels off in order to exclude the ass from the move.

And if they seriously wanted to slowly move away from this kind of stuff. There's much better ways of doing it, without pissing off fans who like the Mika character. Such as maybe not give Laura, a character revealed after Mika, the biggest cleavage in the entire game. Also, the "HOT" edition which prominently features Chun-Li in her alt outfit ( which is waaaay "worse" than the buttslap ever was ) seems to go very heavily against the idea that they want to move away from this stuff.

And to use the HOT edition again. If the goal of removing the buttslap was to appeal to potential buyers who were too put off buying the game because of a single buttslap, then the HOT edition makes zero sense. The moment any potential buyers who were not gonna buy it before the r mika change, sees the chun-li alt outfit, they are gonna run away screaming
GIF-amazing-classic-funny-OMG-rap-rapper-shocked-stare-Supa-Hot-Fire-surprised-GIF.gif

Supa Dupa HOT

Exactly. Even without any of that the people throwing a fit over the butt slap have issues with many of the vanilla costumes. The HOT Edition is just icing on the cake that makes this whole thing even more tremendously stupid.

Yes, that one's better.

Still though, the butt slap was also part of her playful personality, which I would think that person would be okay with.

Regardless, my main point is that I don't see how the butt slap, with it being the only thing that's changed, would be a deal breaker for a girl gamer. It's like that joke about how health conscious people order a double cheeseburger, large fries, but a diet coke.
On artistic or technical merits the change of that scene does pretty much nothing to make the game better or worst, but given the hyper-political environment in the U.S and Europe atm (the game's two biggest markets, at least for casual sales), it sort of makes sense to change if only to have one less thing for pundits and critics to label against the game.

@ the same time I don't look at this from a marketing/public relations POV; most of us don't. Why should we? But I can definitely put myself in their shoes and see why they probably suggested the team make the change. It's the one that'd cause the least fuss.

TBF they don't need a justifiable reason why are changing it. maybe they outcry was the trigger but it is their product for money and they want to minimize the number of complaints. People who are pissed off about the change are generally not taken seriously enough to matter in the long run.

Meanwhile Poison and her Ultra 1 butt slapping was acceptable.

319063FA385D200362BE464133E5C520068C1BAA

If it can be done to a guy, there is no problem.

ugly

Exactly. Even without any of that the people throwing a fit over the butt slap have issues with many of the vanilla costumes. The HOT Edition is just icing on the cake that makes this whole thing even more tremendously stupid.

Eh, I disagree. It seems like there's a fair bit of fanfare around the fact that it's purposely sexy, you know? There's Hot Ryu, too. It's kind of like a *wink wink* *nudge nudge* way of having sexualized content. I think that's perfectly OK, and I think receptive audiences will be wise enough to get the hint, right? It's a bit different when a base character is upholding established stereotyping trends with no recognition of the fact. There's nothing wrong with sexuality, but any game is released into a contextual environment of expectations. It's just about shaking things up and letting people know what your intent is. Ono's got his heart in the right place.

Sblargh

Banned
The hot edition costumes show that characters can be sexy and desirable without being crass. I personally don't have a problem with the original mika animation, but I can see how a sexy dress is different from pointing your butt at the camera.

I mean, it's hard to measure this stuff, but I can understand how the decision was made to remove this while keeping the Hot edition costumes. Crass is the only word I can come up.

Sianos

i don't mind revealing outfits but i find it juvenile to have the camera *linger* in compromising angles

the vouyeristic aspect of the camera swerving around and lingering on character's crotches that strikes me as obnoxious forced pandering and has that usual subversive aspect to it

disregarding the camera, i have no issue with the HOT! package - it features both male and female characters in costumes designed to be both attractive and not just cutting out windows for secondary sex characteristics

but if having a neutral camera is apparently PC SJW CENSORSHIP for the kids of today, then i demand the camera lingers on urien's dick as he majestically bursts out of his suit during his v-trigger animation

Trickster

i don't mind revealing outfits but i find it juvenile to have the camera *linger* in compromising angles

the vouyeristic aspect of the camera swerving around and lingering on character's crotches that strikes me as obnoxious forced pandering and has that usual subversive aspect to it

disregarding the camera, i have no issue with the HOT! package - it features both male and female characters in costumes designed to be both attractive and not just cutting out windows for secondary sex characteristics

but if having a neutral camera is apparently PC SJW CENSORSHIP for the kids of today, then i demand the camera lingers on urien's dick as he majestically bursts out of his suit during his v-trigger animation

I honestly doubt anyone would have a huge issue with that. It's essentially what the camera does when Vega shoves his dick towards the camera already...

Reset

The less Ken players the better tho.

Ah I see. You're one of those hipster players that likes using characters that are less popular. You want to use Ken, but can't since he's so popular. But with his current botched up face/hair this might be your chance to finally use him.
It's ok if you use popular characters, no one will hate you for it.

:]

Crocodile

Eh, I disagree. It seems like there's a fair bit of fanfare around the fact that it's purposely sexy, you know? There's Hot Ryu, too. It's kind of like a *wink wink* *nudge nudge* way of having sexualized content. I think that's perfectly OK, and I think receptive audiences will be wise enough to get the hint, right? It's a bit different when a base character is upholding established stereotyping trends with no recognition of the fact. There's nothing wrong with sexuality, but any game is released into a contextual environment of expectations. It's just about shaking things up and letting people know what your intent is. Ono's got his heart in the right place.

We are talking about the trashy wrestler R.Mika made in the image of RL trashy female wrestlers right? :p This wasn't Karin or Makoto (granted she's not in the game yet) slapping her ass before Peach Bombing her opponent.

Sianos

I honestly doubt anyone would have a huge issue with that. It's essentially what the camera does when Vega shoves his dick towards the camera already...

i get the vibe that you don't like it when "vega shoves his dick towards the camera"

its the ellipses that take it from "maybe?" to "yeah, seems like it" territory

Ryaaan14

Banned
More stupid than saying that we live in an age hostile to sexualization when it is everywhere, including this one videogame that still have plenty of it, but a little less?

It's not really an argument, but a sexual over the top fun example about how sexual over the top fun is accessible to any of us at any time.

The reason why your argument sucks is because you quite literally said "there's no problem here because you can get X elsewhere". I mean I'm sure you realize that right?

Trickster

i get the vibe that you don't like it when "vega shoves his dick towards the camera"

its the ellipses that take it from "maybe?" to "yeah, seems like it" territory

Unfortunately your assumtpion is 100% incorrect. I have zero problems with it

Afrikan

I asked his Translator if he could ask him to please please pleeeeeeeeeeease bring back Dee Jay sometime in the future.

he is the ONLY character I use...and I'm damn good with him.

His translator said, in a genuine way, that yes he would tell him.

I probably should've grabbed Ono's legs and begged.

Top Bottom