• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono comments on Street Fighter 5 buttslap and related changes

Dr. Buni

I appreciate the feelings, Ono, but if you want me to feel comfortable playing Street Fighter, there are still a couple things that needs to go... Maybe in Street Fighter 6?

LiK

beating the shit outta people won't make people uncomfortable but a buttslap will. this is super silly shit.

Vice

Meanwhile Poison and her Ultra 1 butt slapping was acceptable.

http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/648877624349596049/319063FA385D200362BE464133E5C520068C1BAA/[/IM][/QUOTE]
In game you see the crop hitting cloth on 99% of the cast and costumes.

domlolz

Banned
beating the shit outta people won't make people uncomfortable but a buttslap will. this is super silly shit.

its very stupid, are there people put there who really have strong opinions about a videogame characters slapping their butt?

I want to note in advance that I don't really care about the buttslap, and I'm not saying that this change does or doesn't make sense even when just tackling the sexualized characters aspect. However, I just want to note that there's not a whole lot that you can do in terms of making the series less violent. It's a fighting game. It's the series that put fighting games on the map. Two characters fighting is kind of core to the series. Not just in a window-dressing sense either. It's literally why the series exists. You can't tone the violence down in any meaningful way even if society decided that we needed to do something about games glorifying violence.

But the sexy stuff? That's superfluous. It can be cut without impacting the game. Am I saying that it needs to be cut? No. I'm just saying that you can examine the necessity of that stuff through a different lens because none of this stuff is actually core to the experience of a game like Street Fighter.

Sblargh

Banned
The reason why your argument sucks is because you quite literally said "there's no problem here because you can get X elsewhere". I mean I'm sure you realize that right?

The way you said, I thought you were talking about society in general.

poodaddy

All 4 people who skipped the game due to the buttslap will finally be appeased, and still not buy the game anyway because they never were going to in the first place.

Well that's one jerky, pessimistic, and narrow minded way to view a positive statement and a positive outlook. Nice attitude :)

RM8

So would some people really not buy Street Fighter games if the fighters weren't sexy? In the end that's the weirdest thing to me. Street Fighter got me into gaming, and it was never because of the ancient sprites being sexually arousing. But then I'm alone, maybe? I'd be super hyped for this game even if it had no nudity at all.

its very stupid, are there people put there who really have strong opinions about a videogame characters slapping their butt?

Nah, but there are people who would be turned away from a game due to butt slapping. Not saying I'm for or against, well actually I'm a big fan of butt slapping. That said I understand where he's coming from as someone who watched the R. Mika trailer with friends and it turned awkward.

Ferrio

Banned
Censorship is stupid. The leg split portion being removed is even more stupid.

This is a bigger issue to me, I don't understand why. Maybe because some of the DLC outfits, and having Chun spread eagle?

nOFu6e1.gif

The Orz

I appreciate the feelings, Ono, but if you want me to feel comfortable playing Street Fighter, there are still a couple things that needs to go... Maybe in Street Fighter 6?

I'm genuinely curious; what things do you mean? And, if you don't mind, what other fighting games do you play? I'd like to know if it's something that exists purely in SF or maybe a larger issue.

The East and The West have different sensitives but I can see where Ono is coming from despite not agreeing with him. At least he didn't went play Asia on us. Love you Ono

Mephala

I don't mind. Buttslap is cheeky but doesn't change the game any way. Mika still looks fun. I like that they are honest and the reason is pretty logical. They are right in that they cannot please everybody but it striving to be more inclusive is a good thing.

Renkax

Mika should have a new animation if that was the case. Not just a camera adjustment so the wounds won't open again :(

I really feel like the buttslap was like one of the things that Mika had that dragged me into main her when it comes out because the slap is just so dumb that it's glorious but R.I.P. :(

I don't mind. Buttslap is cheeky but doesn't change the game any way. Mika still looks fun. I like that they are honest and the reason is pretty logical. They are right in that they cannot please everybody but it striving to be more inclusive is a good thing.

where does it end though
trying to please everyone is a VERY VERY bad idea
which leads to things being changed or taken out cause someone was too sensitive

Vice

where does it end though
which leads to things being changed or taken out cause someone was too sensitive
That's very much how business is though, especially entertainment. Appealing to the broadest audience is important for items that don't want to be niche.

where does it end though

Well, what if they took all of the sexual elements out? That should reduce the number of people that they are trying to appease by a considerable number

where does it end though

First of all, this is just a slippery slope argument. Secondly, it just seems to misunderstand how the creative process works. Games aren't the result of an auteur programming a game by themselves in a secluded mountain cabin. It's a collaborative process that has a lot riding on it. They're constantly getting feedback on what people like/dislike about these games. Some of it they're going to act on. Some of it they won't.

I mean, you're right. You're never going to be able to please anyone. But when faced with a binary decision, you weight the outcomes and try to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. Obviously, it is possible that they picked incorrectly here and that the number of people applauding the desire for inclusivity here it outnumbered by the number of people who want more fanservice in this game. Time will tell. But I don't understand how one can find the very notion of listening to feedback and making a change is inherently bad.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Makes sense to me. They made an internal decision as artists, and they stuck with it. Even as someone who is anti censorship - I like that they had the agency and the ability to make the decision for themselves, and they chose what they wanted.

It looks more likely that they got several complaints specifically about the buttslap and that's why it was changed. Buttslaps have been in many fighting games. Somebody complain about the Chun-Li outfit and see if they change it or take it out. Im getting PC version modders will create better outfits and nude mods anyways.

I LOVE Street Fighter. Love it. But the trend toward fanservice I've seen in this game is a turn-off. I know why they do it (it's obviously a crowd-pleaser in the target demographic), but I don't have to be happy about it nor do I have to support it.

I should add that I'm pleased they made this change but it's not enough to make me change my $60 dollar vote. And that's probably the problem most people will have with this rationale.

That's actually a very good point. It would take quite a few more changes for people uncomfortable with the game because of the "butt-slap" to be interested in it (as said previously, one can clearly find the outfits and representation objectionable), while removing the butt-slap could alienate people interested in fan service and the "sexy" aspect of the game. Not entirely sure I understand how this sole modification would bring a larger audience.

I'm more annoyed that they didn't change the animation that's my only beef, because she just slaps it offscreen. Granted I don't view this as fanservice because Mika being doing something similar since the alpha series, when she does that butt attack she rubbed her behind when she landed so it's part of character I guess that's my gripe.

If people thought that butt slap was offensive watch Mai swing her goods in idle.

Fredrik

where does it end though
That's what I'm thinking too, when you reach the point when nobody is offended it'll simply look dull. Games usually lose enough character when transferring the design from the original artwork to polygons. Seems like a bad idea to change the design even more just to not offend a small loud minority that might still find something else to bitch about just because that's what they likes to do.

mreddie

Butt slapping isn't ok? But everything else from the sexy costumes and massive boobs still stand?

I'm okay with the no butt slapping but seems odd in the grand scheme.

Gbraga

Alright, cool, but can you please make people more comfortable with new animations instead of just changing the camera to hide them?

LordJim

I would like to see the meeting where Chun Li's alt costume moves, most things Laura, Cammy and R.Mika related are considered okay, but the specific butt slam and angle on cammy's super were considered as 'going too far'.

Alright, cool, but can you please make people more comfortable with new animations instead of just changing the camera to hide them?

Jesus Christ capcom hire this man, I've been biting my tongue to not say "lazy devs" because Ono has done a fantastic job.

Opto

Banned
Censorship feels like it's just a dog whistle these days.

Do we call balance patches censoring too?

I would like to see the meeting where Chun Li's alt costume moves, most things Laura, Cammy and R.Mika related are considered okay, but the specific butt slam and angle on cammy's super were considered as 'going too far'.

Onos probably a Chunli fan and told them to fuck off with trying to censor her
maybe he just hates R Mika

MrHoot

Well, what if they took all of the sexual elements out? That should reduce the number of people that they are trying to appease by a considerable number

Would also just alienate those who actually like the designs, and who are fine with sexiness. Yeah you'd "appease" a significant part of an "audience" (which is not guarantee in more sales) but you also let down another significant part.

It's a game which has colourful and yes, sexy characters. I'd rather see them own it than trying to tip-toe around it since they're obviously committed to the style, and it's a style a lot of people find enjoyable.

Would also just alienate those who actually like the designs, and who are fine with sexiness. Yeah you'd "appease" a significant part of an "audience" (which is not guarantee in more sales) but you also let down another significant part.

It's a game which has colourful and yes, sexy characters. I'd rather see them own it than trying to tip-toe around it since they're obviously committed to the style, and it's a style a lot of people find enjoyable.

i dont know who their trying to appease
casuals wont give a fuck
moms have no time to give a fuck
people like Anita probably dont even care about fighting games
like you said the significant part might not even care about the game

Soulstar

Onos probably a Chunli fan and told them to fuck off with trying to censor her
maybe he just hates R Mika

Ono is a huge fan of R. Mika. He's been begging them to put her in the games for years. Also when he was talking about her on twitter around when she was announced you could tell that he was so happy that she was in the game.

MrHoot

i dont know who their trying to appease
casuals wont give a fuck
moms have no time to give a fuck
people like Anita probably dont even care about fighting games
like you said the significant part might not even care about the game

I'd rather just have them do more stuff like sexy ryu.
If you're gonna go crazy tacky, give fanservice for girls. Make them part of the trip so they can also enjoy the campiness. Beardly muscly men, effeminate ones too, also maybe replace F.A.N.G with a cool lady that would be badass, like a female M.Bison (fuck i'd love a femBison, with a long coat and fucking evil aura)

Do you by any chance believe not liking fanservice equals being offended by it?

No, but that's been the characters M.O since alpha 3. If you're going to censor the infamous slap at least change the animation. I just feel it's sort of hypocritical on Ono's end when Chun-li's hot outfit is worse than a infamous slap. I just feel it's selective outrage. The slap isn't a big deal to me SF as never been known has fanservice throughout the franchise.

Censorship feels like it's just a dog whistle these days.

Do we call balance patches censoring too?
'Tis a silly comparison and you know it. You can accept the removal of stuff like butt-slaps and also accept that this is self-censorship. Nothing wrong with that.

vg260

Censorship is stupid. The leg split portion being removed is even more stupid.

Not listening to feedback or internal debate over how their product is perceived by different audiences and weighing creative choices as a result would be stupid (business).

If people liked the original animation, that's fine, but I honestly don't believe people are thinking about this critically if they can not understand why Capcom's chose to make changes. Not only might it put off potential purchasers who are uncomfortable with it, but they are making a big esports push trying to give SF more air time and raise general awareness as a brand. If there is a negative stigma from those outside the player base, then that hurts their efforts in this regard too. There are a lot more considerations than just is censorship bad or stupid.

Top Bottom